Chickenning Outta Here

This Dance

Mina was vaguely aware of a lot of things.

Of Sana, mostly. All of her, soft lips against Mina’s, her skin, the taste of sweet lip gloss, her arm reaching around, holding Mina closer, of the warmth all around her – even the inside of , just for an electrifying moment. Her eyes were closed, though she only even knew that because she couldn’t see anything. It was strangely perfect to her – even while she was screaming inside, even while she felt a bit clamped and bunched together after the unexpected hug.

It was Sana who stopped the frozen moment, shifting her head slightly away, and reality hit Mina hard even while Sana still held her. No cogent thought entered her mind; nothing she could summarise, just panic and intensity and confusion.

“I don’t think I like Momo,” Sana said quietly, shifting her head again so that her chin rested on Mina’s shoulder. Mina managed to blink, taking in her surroundings, and then somehow she extricated herself from Sana, pushing away hurriedly, heart beating something painful through her veins, and with shaking hands she looked at Sana.

Sana didn’t look at her. She was looking crushed, miserable, and Mina didn’t know why she felt similarly, why everything was so confused, and then she turned and she rushed away.


 



 

She walked with no destination until the rain started, and then she began moving home, wishing for just half a second that she had any courage, or any real presence of thought. Something to have made that moment work out.

Shouldn’t that have been everything to her? Shouldn’t she have spoken to Sana, told her how she felt, made something happen?

But she hadn’t. And now what? Now Sana thought she really liked Momo? Mina almost chuckled as the rain started. The tables were turned. Not that that had ever been what she wanted.

She moved home as cold water speckled her skin and her clothing, the wind blowing her hair. She was an idiot. She was such an idiot.

When her home was in view, she hesitantly took out her phone, shielding it from the rain as she checked her texts.

Okay I chickened out. How do I do anything Mina help me

Well, that was relatable. She sighed as she scrolled through more texts, pausing when she saw Momo’s name.

practicing the dance tomorrow evening. think you could come critique?

Momo would always have a way of being emotionally detached, in all things. Right then, Mina had to envy it. She tapped the text box, typing in a sure as she made her way to the door, opening it and sighing out a breath of relief as warm air wafted onto her and the homey mess of the living room assaulted her eyes.

Some day, she’d need to just lose her mind and clean everything. Probably around exam time. She closed the door behind her, moving forwards and idly looking around at the ghost of a living room. A second passed before shuffling could be heard from upstairs, and quickly the door opened and a wide-eyed Jihyo looked at her, breathing heavily.

Where have you been all day, young lady? I was worried sick-”

“I’m the same age as you.”

“It’s raining out there and you could have caught a cold-”

Jihyo took Mina’s arm, dragging her into the kitchen and clicking on the jug.

“You could have at least texted me so I didn’t have to worry! Honestly, the amount of time you and Nayeon spend ignoring your own health-”

“Nayeon’s older than you.”

“Yes, and it’s ridiculous that she’s so helpless, but children are like that, aren’t they?”

Mina smiled at Jihyo blankly as she went on her tirade, taking hot chocolate powder out of the cupboard and then sharply looking at her quieter friend.

“Have you seriously not changed out of that wet clothing?”

“All right. If it will tame your motherly fury.”

As Mina found the stairs, Jihyo shouted across the rooms; “I'm not letting you catch a cold!”

And in spite of everything Mina smiled as she made her way up.


 



 

The next day was a mess from start to finish.

From morning to evening was a mess in the usual ways; attending classes and trying to keep her chaotic mind on the subject matter.

And then she went to visit Momo in her practice room. She’d walked all the way there, made it to the door and put her hand on the handle.

But then she saw through the door’s window. Momo was there, in her tights and her sneakers and her loose-fitting sweater. As she rehearsed the movements Mina had been hoping to perform, Mina’s eyes saw those by the wall; Sana, with her arm casually draped over Dahyun’s shoulders.

She saw, just for a moment, the way Momo finished some movements, stretching and glancing over at the two girls. Dahyun looked happy, her head resting on Sana’s shoulder, and Sana looked comfortable, tilting her head away from the younger, love-struck girl, hopefully just unaware of Dahyun’s feelings.

For just a second, Momo’s facial expression mirrored Mina’s as they eyed the pair, before Momo started dancing again, visible in Mina’s peripheral vision.

Mina wished she hadn’t fled the premises after that kiss. She spent every waking moment wishing she hadn’t, because she was so confused, so much more confused than she ever had been, but she couldn’t even begin to properly phrase a question. Not that she could while they weren’t alone. They’d just have to… be there, awkwardly avoiding eye contact while their pulses tried to bruise their skin from the inside.

She’d promised Momo. But again, she shrunk away, turning and walking away from the room, guilt filling her chest.

She couldn’t face Sana.


 



 

One whole day later, Mina spent her Saturday alone, curled up in her beanbag with her phone out.

She didn’t have much awareness of how much time had passed as she watched videos on youtube, dodging all SNS in the vain hope that her thoughts would just gather themselves. But then the door opened, and Nayeon entered laughing, followed closely by Jungyeon.

“...And then he said, ‘I don’t know what an updog is!’”

Mina looked up from her phone, staring intensely at the door as Nayeon switched on the light and Mina’s eyes burned.

“Oh, Mina. You’ve been on that beanbag since I left?”

“Yes.”

Nayeon looked at Jungyeon, telepathically agreeing about their confusion.

“You alright?”

“Oh, yeah. I’m fine. A-okay. Nothing wrong here. Why would there be? What are you accusing me of?”

“Yeah, I figured that’d be the case. Sana?”

Mina made a high-pitched noise, curling up tighter and sinking further into her beanbag.

“I mean Momo. Sorry.”

Mina made an even louder noise, fairly convinced that she’d be feeling the ground through the foam beans soon if she sank any further.

“Oh, she’s still caught in that love triangle?”

“Yeah, it’s gotten pretty complex. You want a coffee? I think we’ve got hot chocolate too somewhere in the kitchen.”

“Sure, I’ll get it myself. You save Mina from drowning.”

Mina heard Jungyeon moving towards the kitchen.

“Get me a coffee while you’re at it,” Nayeon said as her footsteps grew louder to Mina’s ears. The door creaked and shut, and Mina shuffled her way so she could meet Nayeon’s eyes.

“You alright?” Nayeon said again, through muffled laughter.

“I kissed Sana.”

“Yeah, during that Christmas party. It was Disney levels of awkward.”

Mina made a face. Nayeon’s mouth made an O shape.

“Again?”

“What do I do?” Mina was about ready to escape the confines of the beanbag by that point, but was thoroughly held prisoner.

“When did this even happen?”

“Two days ago? Around the same time you were supposed to talk to Jungyeon.”

“Talk to me about what?” Mina winced as the door creaked again, looking over as the short-haired brunette reentered the room with warm cups in hand. She forced her way out of the confines of the beanbag, reseating herself in a more functional position.

Mina glanced at Nayeon, who had suddenly turned into an actual statue. “D’you like Nayeon?”

“Yeah.”

“Like, like as in like like?”

“Are we in elementary school?”

“You know what I mean!”

“Yeah.”

“Is that a yeah to you know what I mean or a yeah to-”

“Both?”

“Oh.”

“Oh.”

“Oh.”

Mina looked around, and then awkwardly stood up. Nayeon was still a literal statue, and Jungyeon suddenly seemed awkward – for whatever reason.

“I’ll leave you to it then.”

“W-wait, Mina, I need to talk to you about-”

“I’ll be fine Nayeon bye!”

Mina had rushed out of the room and shut the door behind her quickly, turning to the open street and meeting eyes with her other roommate.

“Mina,” Jihyo said.

“Jihyo! Don’t go in there!”

“Why not?” Jihyo asked as Mina grabbed her arm, dragging the louder girl willingly away.

“Because Nayeon and Jungyeon are having a moment. Probably.”

“Oh. Finally. I was wondering if Nayeon was going to work out her feelings.”

“What, you think she’s as terrible at it as I am?”

“I thought you didn’t realise you were terrible. And yes.”

“Oh, of course I realise. My love life’s a mess.”

Jihyo nodded her agreement. “I guess we’re going to eat out?”

“I guess,” Mina shrugged.


 

Half an hour later and Mina regretted everything when Sana entered the same restaurant and instantly met her eyes.


a/n- YOU GUYS GOT SO EXCITED LAST CHAPTER I'M SORRY. Mina dammit. Last chapter of This Dance should be coming tomorrow or the day after :)