Why Why Why

This Dance

a/n- it feels way too soon for the next chapter, but hey, I'm on a roll!


She was staring at her phone as she waited for the other two girls to show. Would Momo have talked to Sana? She didn’t seem like the sort to spill anything like that. But what would that mean for their dynamic? What would that mean for anything?

“Myoui Mina!” Mina looked up from her phone and compulsively smirked at the blonde sight of her rival, even if her heart in her chest did some sort of scared somersault. A vibration in her hands made her look back down, and a text from Momo wiped that smirk off her face.

can’t show, thing happened

“Oh,” she said.

“What happened?” Minatozaki Sana asked, moving a bit closer and leaning in to see her phone. When her whole body went tense and her heartbeat spiked Mina took a step away, trying not to laugh nervously to brush off the movement.

“Momo’s not showing. It’s just us.”

Sana just blinked. “Oh.”

Mina looked at Sana for as long as her heart could take it, but then she averted her eyes.

“So… do we still watch the movie?”

It was in question. Of course it was; Sana liked Momo.

Mina liked Sana and Sana liked Momo.

Great.

“We don’t have to,” Mina said, feeling a sudden surge of complete misery. She almost hoped Sana would cancel it; that way she could just go and deal with it on her own.

“W-well, I’ve been wanting to see Star Wars for a while,” Sana said, laughing nervously. “I heard it was pretty good.”

“Alright,” Mina said, forcing a smile. “Let’s do it.”

“I bet you a soda the main character turns out to be Luke’s daughter.”

Mina managed a muffled laugh. “You’re on,” she said as they entered the theatre.

 


 

Mina wasn’t even sure how that bet had turned out. Shockingly, sitting next to someone you like in a dark room makes your mind turn all noisy and cloudy and confused. They’d left the theatre with Sana excitedly chattering about the explosions and lightsaber fights and all that, and Mina stared ahead of herself with a very blank expression on her face.

Her thought processes had been a little something like this:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Eventually, they’d reached the part of town where they needed to go different directions, and very awkwardly said their goodbyes and walked away and Mina tried not to scream when she was alone. What was she supposed to do about this?

How do crushes even work? Not fake crushes, like the one on Momo, but actual crushes? She preferred fake ones. That way it wouldn’t feel like it was so warm. Her heart might stop hammering and the world would stop feeling all fluffy and rainbow unicorn-ish.

It was a weird feeling, and she pouted as she made her way to her sharehouse, entering and sighing loudly when she made it into the living room.

“Hey Mina,” Jihyo greeted cheerfully as she typed her latest assignment.

“Do you ever get confused typing and talking at the same time and just end up writing Hey Mina in your essay?”

Jihyo stopped talking, looking at her screen blankly.

“Shoot, I did do that.”

Mina sat herself in her beanbag chair, sinking into it and staring up at the roof. “What do I do?”

“About what?” Jihyo asked, pointedly ceasing to type as she spoke and continuing once she was done.

Mina suddenly realised that she’d been wrong and Jihyo had been right and that therefore, ergo, she would have to take this secret to the grave, QED.

“Nothing,” she said, standing abruptly (it was difficult what with the beanbag being like quicksand issue, but after lots of scrambling she pulled it off.) “Everything’s fine!”

Then she left the room very quickly.
 


 

I’M GONNA TALK TO JUNGYEON I’M GONNA DO IT IT’S GONNA HAPPEN THERE SHE IS HERE GOES OH NOOOO

Looking at her phone, Mina smiled dryly. She hadn’t actually seen Nayeon in person for ages, and whenever she did it was with Jungyeon in tow. It upset her more than she wanted to admit – she had no one to talk to about Sana. No one except Momo, but Momo personified the issue.

She sighed. Sana liked Momo. Dahyun liked Sana.

She definitely missed not liking anyone. It was weird how just one person could make her this miserable, just by existing.

She moved forward, putting her phone in her pocket as she made her way to her rented locker. It couldn’t be too long until she saw Nayeon in person. She opened the locker, going through some books to make sure her nearly-overdue borrowed textbook was there, the thoughts in her head tempting her to just slam her face against the locker door.

“Myoui Mina, there you are!”

She cringed at the full name that made it very clear who had just appeared. She turned, trying to pretend she was also fully competitive and totally-not-having-feelings-for-that-person-right-there.

“Minatozaki Sana,” she said, hoping she didn’t actually sound as tired as she thought she did.

Sana moved forwards. “I’ve been looking all over for you! I need to talk to you.”

Oh no. Mina tried not to shrink. “What is it?” She asked, taking the book into her hand and closing the locker.

“I… think I might confess to Momo tomorrow.”

Mina felt it all crumpling then. Taking a deep breath, she turned, looking at Sana. “I see.”

Sana’s face fell a bit, and she scrambled in confusion for a second. “You're okay with that?”

Ha. Good question. Mina hated herself as she worked out how to answer.

"Y-yes. You can confess to her. I guess I’ll see how it goes.”

Sana took a few steps forward, blinking at Mina confusedly. “You seem like something's wrong. I... guess you really like her, huh?”

Mina winced, just glancing away. She was bad at hiding her feelings. Luckily, Sana seemed about as good at misinterpreting Mina’s feelings as Mina herself was.

“I don’t… want to make you sad. Y-you can confess to her first, and if she says no…”

Mina shut her eyes then, taking in a deep breath. “I already did. She said… no. It’s okay, go ahead.”

Everything was still for a moment.

And then Mina felt Sana’s warm arms wrapping around her, and opening her eyes in shock, she was overwhelmed by that scent that had bothered her so much when she was starting to get to know Minatozaki Sana. Tensing up, she turned slightly towards the other girl, her face being buried in her strawberry-scented hair.

“I'm sorry.” Sana’s voice sounded small somehow, small and weak. “You seemed like you needed a hug.”

The older girl’s head turned slightly as Sana repositioned herself, and then Mina saw her face, with her eyes a little bit red and watery. Mina couldn’t guess why, but she also couldn’t think straight, even slightly, with Sana that close.

In fact, she was getting closer.

Mina had definitely lost her mind by the time they started kissing.


a/n- All of you hoping Mina would make a move are so cute. We've already established that the characters in this fanfic are terrible at making good decisions!