Ken - The Space Between

Fantasia

6. The Space Between - Soyou, Kwon Soonil, Park Youngin (Urban Zakapa)

 

 

Jaehwan took one last look at his old and shabby apartment he used to call home. The apartment wasn’t that small nor was it large. It was just enough for Jaehwan’s needs. The once cramped and messy place was now just an empty space. Jaehwan lifted his camera and took a shot of the apartment. He smiled, “Bye bye house. It was a great run.”

The place was his home for how many years and now this was his last time to ever set foot on it. Jaehwan slowly closed the door and locket it for the last time. He handed the keys back to the landowner and went on his way.

The drive to his new place took him an hour since it was in the upstate. The neighborhood was quiet and friendly given that it was a place for the well-off people in the city. Having a job as a renowned webtoon artist has its perks after all. Since his debut webtoon series became an instant hit to the mass public, it gave him enough money to move out of his apartment to a new and modern flat. The building was designed to capture any person’s attention. Simple yet beautiful. A minimalist. Inside was similar to the exterior. Some of the staffs passed by and greeted Jaehwan. Jaehwan smiled and headed straight for the elevator. Jaehwan’s new place was at the 10th floor and so once the elevator door opened for him, he hurried inside and pressed his designated floor.

The building was known for housing people who had specific requirements. It had high maintenance residents and Jaehwan was sure he was one of those residents. Given his personality and line of work, his requirements for a house is doubled. Such a troublesome guy I am.

He arrived on the 10th floor. Jaehwan got off and walked to where his flat was. Room 1005. Though it was his first time coming to the new flat, Jaehwan knew that some of his furniture were already inside since the movers arrived before. The first thing Jaehwan noticed was the boxes in front of Room 1004, the room across his. It’s probably my neighbor’s stuff. Jaehwan thought. He found it funny actually; he was moving in while his neighbor was probably moving out. Before his random presumption got the better of him, Jaehwan entered his own flat.

The place, as expected, was furnished spaciously and effortlessly. It had some of his previous furniture, his sentimental ones, and were mixed with new ones. Jaehwan stretched out his arms and let out a scream. “WOOHOO!”

 

That same day, the landowner came in and welcomed him to the building. The landowner was a middle aged man and lived at the penthouse. He greeted Jaehwan with warm smiles and a housewarming gift. Jaehwan thanked the landowner and gladly accepted the gift.

 

“My daughter reads your work.” The landowner proudly mentioned to Jaehwan who was busy pouring tea for the landowner. “She says it’s really good. It captures the daily life of a person.”

 

“Oh. Thank you.” Jaehwan smiled embarrassed of the compliment. “I’m glad that your daughter was able to read my work. I’d like to meet her sometime.”

 

“She would be delighted.”

 

Jaehwan walked up to the landowner who was seating on the couch and offered him the hot cup of tea. The landowner thanked him and took a sip. “Feel free to ask me anything or any of the residents here, Jaehwan.”

 

“Yessir.” Jaehwan beamed.

 

Day 1.

 

It was an early Sunday morning when he found a large box lying in front of his door. Jaehwan was just about to go out for a jog when he bumped into the large box. Similar to the ones he saw yesterday. On top of the large box was a baby pink sticky note. Jaehwan snatched the note and read the short reminder.

 

This box was accidentally given to me yesterday. It must have mixed up with my other stuff.

 

Jaehwan looked around but there was no trace on who the kind stranger was. “It would have been better if you gave it to me in person.” He moved the box inside his flat, grabbed himself a sticky note and pen and wrote a short reply of thanks. Once he was done writing, he pasted it in front of his door and left to jog. What he didn’t know was that you were watching him from your peephole.

 

Day 2.

 

Jaehwan was eating his breakfast when someone rang the doorbell. He checked on who it was but found no one outside. He opened the door and saw a bottle of milk on the ground. On the milk was a sticky note, same as the one before. He picked it up and read the sticky note.

 

I heard you’re the new resident living at 1005. Welcome to the place. Here’s a milk as a token of greetings^^

 

“Thanks, stranger.” Jaehwan slightly shouted. Whoever this was, he was glad that this stranger neighbor had welcomed him.

 

Day 5.

 

Jaehwan arrived home late in the evening due to his meetings with some of the editors He was tired as hell. The editors were making the deadline for his next work a week earlier. He stopped in front of his door and found another sticky note on top of the peephole of his door. Yippeee~Another one!

 

Sorry to bother but I think some of my mails are with you. If you could do so kindly slip it under the doors of 1004. Thank you.

 

Jaehwan glanced at Room 1004. So you’re the mysterious stranger. He entered his flat and found letter mails on the floor. Mixed with his was letters addressed to the person next door. He picked it up and read the name printed on the letters. He walked out and went straight to Room 1004.

 

“I have your letters.” Jaehwan knocked on the door. No reply. Jaehwan knocked again, this time a sticky note slipped under the door. Jaehwan picked it up and chuckled. “You know, it would be great if I could hand this to you personally.”

 

Another note.  I think this is better.

 

“I won’t give this to you unless you open that door.” Jaehwan crossed his arms. “You’ve been giving me these notes. I find it cute honestly but I want to say that in front of you personally not at a door.”

 

I can’t.

 

“Why not?”

 

I have a condition.

 

Jaehwan pouted. “Fine. Promise me, you’ll come out sometime okay?” He crouched down and slipped the letters under the door. He stood and waved goodbye at the door closing it.

 

Day 11.

 

Jaehwan decided to buy instant noodles at a near convenience store since he was craving for it badly. The trip to the convenience store was short since the store was only a block away from his building. On the way back to his flat, he happened to be with another resident, a girl probably the same age as his, riding the elevator. You. He bowed courteously and pressed the 10th button. He waited for you to press a button but you didn’t move at all.

 

“Uhm…what floor are you?” Jaehwan asked.

 

You lowered your head, obviously avoiding Jaehwan. “…s-same as you…”

 

The elevator door closed and moved. Jaehwan can’t help but to steal glances at you who stood next to him. He inched closer and smiled as friendly as he can. “I’m Jaehwan by the way. I live in 1005. I just moved in.”

 

You nodded. Jaehwan carefully studied your movements. He grinned. “1004, right?”

 

Your eyes went straight to Jaehwan and inched yourself away from him. Your face turned complete tomato red. Embarrassed. “…H-how…”

 

“You’re pretty easy to read, 1004.” Jaehwan winked. He then inserted his hands on his pockets. “I didn’t get to thank you last time for the milk personally…I just realized.”

 

“…” You rubbed your forearm, still avoiding his gaze. “N-no…need…”

 

“You know, 1004.” Jaehwan pulled out a drink from the plastic bag he held and reached out for your hand. He then handed you the drink. “As a way of thanks. I’ll give you one of my banana milk.”

 

The elevator door opened. The two of you walked to their respective flats. As Jaehwan was about to enter his, your soft voice halted him from doing so. He turned to the girl who stood behind him and saw her smile.

 

“T-thank you.”

 

“No problem.” Jaehwan smiled.

 

You then mentioned your name. He smiled softly and repeated your name. He waved his hands and chuckled, “It’s nice to finally meet you. Make sure to keep me updated with your sticky notes, 1004~”

 

He closed the door and watched you through his peep hole. You were blushing. He smiled to himself, happy that he got to finally see you in person. Jaehwan was definitely excited now. He giddily jumped in place. The girl who lives in 1004 is really an angel, he thought to himself.  “DAMN. I really love living here!”