Ravi - October Rain

Fantasia

5. October Rain - 10cm

 

 

 

Wonsik walked the streets aimlessly. He was having yet another wave of conflicted thoughts running through his mind. He was having trouble. He just found out that his girlfriend cheated on him and what’s worse was that she was cheating him with his friend. That’s great, isn’t it?  Wonsik was running with all kinds of emotions right now. He was furious. Mad. Heartbroken. Betrayed. Numb.

She begged him to stay and that she was wrong, but how could he? He can’t trust her anymore. He wasn’t going to let her play games with him anymore. Besides, he already felt that their relationship was slowly going downwards. With him being busy with work and her focused on hers, they rarely get to see each other anymore and when they do it felt like an obligation more than anything. Yeah, maybe this is my fault.

Wonsik knew that he didn’t put into much effort into the relationship. He was rather forced into it. He didn’t feel the butterflies in his stomach or that spark. It was long gone. But even so, Wonsik felt broken. He did love her…but maybe not enough. Wonsik took a deep breath and sought. “Damn it.” He ran his hands through his raven hair and cursed at the open space. Right now, I don’t need some girl messing up my head.  Wonsik told himself. His personal life may be spiraling downwards but he won’t let that happen with his career. With his group nearing a comeback, his thoughts shouldn’t be occupied by her.

He took out his earphones, plugged it in his phone and played one of the playlists he usually listens to. It was these kinds of long walks that helped Wonsik clear his mind. He was away from his problem and so it helped him think what he needed to think. Do what he wanted to do. Be what he wanted to be. Even for just a little while. The music helped him put his mind off things as well. It was the busy and chaotic environment that made him feel at ease. The scenery of moving cars, people chatting and music blaring in some small shops. The familiar and new places he had been caused by his wandering.

That particular day wasn’t any different from the rest of his previous strolls. The only difference would be his problem. Usually his problems were work-related, this time it was all personal.

It was late October. Leaves were falling. People wore warmer clothes and held each other close. Wonsik sighed. Even with that gloomy weather, it seems like it was only him who was in sync with the weather. Everyone looked happy. Wonsik strolled.

He went to alleys and streets unknown to him. He wanted to avoid the familiar streets since it only reminded him of her, and Wonsik knew he wasn’t in the mood to be reminded of her. It’ll only bring him pain.

Wonsik found himself sitting on a bench at a bus stop. He glanced at his wristwatch and noticed that an hour has passed. Wow. Time flies fast. Wonsik then felt his phone buzzing. It was her. He sighed. He stared at her name on the screen, contemplating whether or not to answer.

One Missed Call.

Two Missed Call.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Wonsik had his eyes glued on the screen. It was her sixth time calling. She’s persistent. He answered the call but didn’t utter a word and let her speak through the phone. “Hello? Wonsik? Are you there?”

 

“Where are you?...I’m sorry…it was stupid of me…I shouldn’t have done it…Wonsik? Are you listening?”

 

Yes. Wonsik glanced up at the sky and noticed it was turning grey. The weather forecast didn’t mention any rain today. He smiled bitterly to himself. The weather was truly on his side.

 

“Wonsik, please talk to me. I…I’m really sorry…”

 

Drip.

 

Wonsik stood from his seat and walked away from the bench. He had his fists clenched. He wanted to ask so many things. Why did you do it? Was I not enough? Did you even love me?  Wonsik stopped. His eyes shut, afraid tears will be shed. He took a long deep breath, “…I’m sorry too…I’m sorry but I don’t think I could see you anymore. What you did…it was too much…”

 

But before she could talk some sense into him, Wonsik had hung up on her.

 

Drop.

 

At the same time, rain fell.

 

In an instant, it rained heavily. Wonsik stood there, completely soaked in rain. Cold.

 

He didn’t mind. He didn’t care. He was too numb to care.

It was at that moment, Wonsik cried. He wasn’t someone who could handle well his emotions. He has been bottling his strong emotions far too long. And with his last conversation with her, Wonsik finally cracked. Damn it. I told myself not to cry.

The rain kept pouring. There was practically no one outside but then there was one. Wonsik didn’t notice that someone was concerned over him. The rain stopped hitting him but he could still hear the distinct sound of rain hitting the pavement. He looked around and found a transparent umbrella being held over him. He turned and found you tiptoeing just so you could give him shade.

You were a mess. Your hair was wet and was sticking out in weird and different directions, your clothes wet and sticky even though you had an umbrella and your face looking exhausted. You smiled gently and reached out for his hand. You guided his hand to hold the crook handle of the umbrella. Both your hands were cold.

 

“Here.” You said. “Take my umbrella. It seems like you need it more than I do.”

 

Wonsik remained silent.

 

“Don’t get yourself sick okay, stranger?”

 

“I—“

 

“I saw you crying. Whatever it is, I hope you solve your problem.” You cheered him up. “Things will get better!” Before Wonsik could even give thanks, you had already run away.

 

Wonsik watched your figure ran. The rain had you already wet. Each step you took made a huge splash. Wonsik found himself stunned by the random act of kindness. It felt like it was just what he needed after all that pain. He had to admit, it was too rare for him to receive this kind of gesture. Wonsik smiled slightly. “Thank you.”

 


 

“Enjoy your day!” You greeted the customer who just left after buying their favorites. Just then you were called by the manager. You quickly went to his post and attended to his needs.

 

While you were busy, another customer had walked in. He took a tray and tong from the side and grabbed the pastries that caught his eye. By the time he had finished, you were already behind the counter waiting for him to pay up.

He walked to the counter and handed you the tray filled with your favorites. You smiled. There were only rarely people who had the same palate as yours. You had your eyes on the pastries the whole time. You carefully put the pastries in a box and closed it with the bakery’s signature logo tape. You then asked for the payment. You looked up at him and smiled. He was somewhat oddly familiar. He then reached for his wallet in his pocket, handed you a card and you did the rest.

 

“Here you go.” You handed him his card back. “Thank you for coming and enjoy your day!”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

He then raised his finger, asking for you to wait. He put his bag in front and searched for something. Once he found what he wanted, he pulled it out and handed it to you. A transparent umbrella. You turned to him, curious as to where he was going with this.

 

“I didn’t get to say thank you last year.” He said. “I’ve been wanting to give this to you for a long time.” The memory of you giving up your umbrella to a stranger resurfaced. “I listened to what you said.” A soft smile appeared on his face, the smile suited him. “I didn’t get sick.”

 

You beamed. You couldn’t believe that the stranger before you remembered your words. You crossed your arms. “That’s good to hear. It also seems that whatever you were facing last time, you’ve gotten over it.”

 

He nodded. “Thanks to your kind words that day.”

 

You can feel your cheeks turning red. You shrugged nonchalantly. “It was nothing.”

 

“To me it was.” He then took the opportunity to ask you before he leaves. “This may sound weird to you but I want to thank you for that day. Is coffee alright?”

 

“Coffee sounds great.”