Chapter 29

Institute of the Talented

Seungkwan’s POV

“WELCOME TO SPIN THE WHEEL! STEP RIGHT UP, BOO SEUNGKWAN.” A man in a black tuxedo said into a microphone. His smile was held up with petroleum jelly and his hair contained a heavy amount of hairspray. The room around me seemed to be that of a reality game show. Heavy spot lights beamed down from the ceiling, some of them colored while others just provided basic lighting needs. Next to the host, a giant wheel sat next to him. Its frame contained hundreds of tiny light bulbs. The center of the wheel was cut into thirty fragments, almost like a giant pizza. Each fragment contained a demon that was up available for human-possession.

“Who are we up against?” I cracked my knuckles and walked up the mini stairs that led up to the giant mechanical wheel.

“LET’S TAKE A GLANCE THROUGH THE CRYSTAL BALL!!!” His voice was loud and full of energy. Every time he spoke, applause filled the room yet there was no audience.

“Why are we doing business via game show?” I followed him to the crystal ball that appeared out of nowhere.

“Look, Seungkwan. You don’t call on me often, and when you do, you ask that I don’t give you anybody too deadly. Can you just play along this one time???” He got on his knees and clasped his hands.

“Alright, alright. On one condition: Show me the situation explicitly.” I crossed my arms and waited for his response.

“I’ll do you one better. I know just what to show you AND I’ll let you filter the demon for the wheel.” He stood up and the lights began to dim. The crystal ball lit up a bright sky blue coloring and a white cloud-like smoke filled the room. Inside the ball, Mingyu sat in the principal’s office with Minghao and this other guy. Principal Nguyen was doing paper work while the three kids sat there completely bored. Mingyu looked worried, almost like he wanted to be somewhere else WITH someone else.

Suddenly, the door to the office broke open and the crystal ball turned away from whatever broke the door down. Minghao took out his phone and dialed Jun’s number. I think he might’ve been asking for help. Mingyu pushed Minghao out of the way of something, the vision wasn’t clear enough to make out what it was. The other kid grabbed both Mingyu and Minghao by the shoulder and they vanished, leaving the principal alone.

“Alright, so.. I’m confused. What are you showing me?” I looked at the host of hell.

“Wait for it.” He gestured me towards the crystal ball. It turned over to Principal Nguyen who continued filling out paper work. She glanced over to the monsters and her eyes lit up pink. opened up and she recited something but I couldn’t read everything her lips mouthed. Something about ‘get them’, whatever that meant.

The vision transferred over to Wonwoo, who walked the halls all alone. Every turn he took, was just emptiness, no threat in sight. Eventually, he sat down and played with a rose he grew out of his palm.

“You might wanna hear this.” The host flicked a switch and sound became audible.

“I don’t know how to say this but.. I really wish Mingyu was here with me right now. Ever since the two of us split up to go fight this war, I haven’t been at all helpful. What if Mingyu needs me? What if he..” Tears ran down his face, dripping onto the freshly grown flower. The water droplet ran down the petal and into his palm. “What if he dies? Father, please. Stop all of this. I’ll do whatever you want. Just, please.. don’t hurt Mingyu.” Wonwoo plucked the rose out from his palm and stared at it. The ground around him began to shake and Wonwoo looked around in fear. “Mingyu? Hello? Who’s there?” He stood up, only to sink into the ground.

The crystal ball lost its light and the smoke faded. The spot lights returned and the game show atmosphere returned.

“Wait! Go back!” I tapped the crystal ball to see if it would comply with my request.

“AND WE’RE BACK TO OUR GAME SHOW OF SPIN THE WHEEL—DEMON!” The host of hell put his game show face back on. The crystal ball sank into the ground and the host made his way back up to the crystal ball. “AS PROMISED, YOU GET A SAY IN WHAT KIND OF DEMON YOU’D LIKE. ANY REQUESTS?”

“Someone that does well in a war-like situation, please.” I followed him. As I made my request, the fragments of the wheel began to change and there were no longer thirty fragments for my choosing. It was down to three demons. In the first fragment, one of the demons was green and looked hungry. It could be good, but what was it hungry for, is the question. In the second fragment, there was a frightened transparent-blue woman. In the last fragment, some dude with broken armor.

“WHAT GREAT CHOICES WE HAVE HERE!!! FRESH DEMONS FOR BOO SEUNGKWAN!!!” The imaginary audience applauded. “WILL HE CHOOSE JIKININKI, THE GHOULISH DEMON WHO FEEDS OFF THE CORPSES OF HUMANS? PERHAPS HE WILL CHOOSE THE LOVELY, YET TERRIFYING, JUROGUMO!!! LET’S HOPE HE DOESN’T END UP WITH THE PATEHTIC DRUNKEN KNIGHT—FRAUD—WHO COULDN’T EVEN SAVE HIS PRINCESS FROM THAT DRAGON BACK IN 14 B.C.E” The host burst out into laughter causing the imaginary audience to follow him.

“I choose—”

“That’s not how this works, kid. YOU MUST SPIN THE WHEEL OF DEMONS!!!” The light bulbs on the wheel lit up and carnival music began playing. I walked up to the wheel and spun the massive thing. Slowly, the fragments turned.

After about a minute of anticipation, the fragments stopped moving. The arrow landed on the frightened blue lady.

“MAY I GET A RESPIN?!” I raised my hand like I was in class.

“NO!” The host said enthusiastically. “JUROGUMO, COME ON OUT!!!”

A transparent-blue woman appeared from the right and bit on her fingernails. Her hair looked like it hadn’t been combed in a few centuries.. or was it just slightly ripped out? I don’t know, but it was hideous. She kept scratching at her arms and looking around.

“Um.. Hi, I’m Seungkwan. Are you ready for war?” I said a gently as I could so that I would scare her.

“War?” Her eyes focused forward and a grin spread across her face. “Oh, goodness me! What should I wear? Why didn’t you tell me sooner? I would have had a game plan!” She sat on the floor and cried hysterically.

“Don’t cry!” I glanced over to the host who looked entertained. “What you’re wearing is fine???”

“You’re right.” She wiped the tears from her fifth eye that appeared on her left arm. “I am beautiful. What are we fighting?”

“Whatever looks evil, I suppose.”

“STEP RIGHT UP, JUROGUMO! YOU MAY NOW TAKE THE WHEEL!!” The host gestured to the wheel that magically shrunk down in size. Jurogumo stepped up to the wheel and walked into it. A seat appeared and I sat down to watch the show.

For those of you who don’t know how demon possession works, it’s quite simple actually. You sit in a lovely chair, fashioned by the devil himself. Then the demon selected takes over your body and does whatever it wants with it. Usually they take on their form before doing anything. It’d be quite weird if they walked around as me. The only demon that actually does that is Baby Tantrum but that’s only because it’s a baby and doesn’t really know better. Anyways, once they are done transforming, they do as they please. I can’t really make friends with the demons because I usually never see them more than three times because there are so many of them. By the way, when they’re running amuck, you sit in a chair and watch what they are doing on a large TV. It’s great, after you get passed the fact that it’s your body doing it.

The ghost woman took over my body as I sat down in the chair to watch the war from inside of my head. Just as expected, she took shape of her own body. What I didn’t expect was the extra features she was hiding from me. I knew it was funny that she had a few extra eyes, never would I imagine her to shape shift into a spider. Not just any spider, she was half-human half-spider, some sort of hybrid, not to mention the fact that she is already a ghost.

“Seungkwan, you made a great decision to choose me. I love to eat rocks.” I watched as she crawled all over the place. Every monster made of rock was either devoured on the spot or wrapped in her webs to marinate. It felt like I was watching a horror movie without popcorn. Though, I must admit, she is saving a bunch of lives by doing this. “Since you are so kind, I will allow us to share control.” She said and she suddenly appeared in a chair next to me.

“What? I’ve never split control with a demon before.” I confessed and she laughed.

“It’s easy. You walk around and I will eat, okay?” She her lips and I suddenly was in control of an eight-legged insect. I guess my main priority would be to search for Wonwoo. I doubt anybody knows that he is gone. Or perhaps I should search for Mingyu, maybe he can locate him.

I walked down the halls, saving students along the way. I’m glad she was in control of the mouth AND my stomach because I don’t think I could tolerate swallowing rocks whole. Walking down the long corridor felt familiar, like when I saw it in the crystal ball. I slowed down to see if I could find any clues as to where Wonwoo went. On the floor, a pink rose lay where he sat prior to being into the floor.

“Think we can walk through walls?” I asked the ghostly woman.

“I’m a ghost, aren’t I?” She acted like she didn’t know.

“Alright, here goes noth—”

“Wonwoo?” A voice called out from down the hall. Before I could step into the wall, a wild Mingyu appeared.

“Mingyu! Hey, buddy! How’s it going?” I crawled up to him.

“MONSTER!!!” He began running the other way.

“WAIT IT’S YO BOY SEUNGKWAN!!!!” I yelled at him and he stopped running. “You are looking for Wonwoo as well? I thought you had bigger problems up in the principal’s office.”

“How would you.. Anyways, yeah, I’m looking for him. Have you seen him? This is the last place I saw him.” He looked around the corridor in a concerned and saddened manner.

“What’s wrong?” I crossed my ghostly arms.

“It’s just.. I like him, you know? I don’t want him to get hurt. I shouldn’t have left him alone, even if I was selected to be a part of some special unit.” He took a seat on the crumbled floor.

“I don’t mean to alarm you but.. I think Wonwoo’s father might’ve him into the ground.”

“WHAT?” Mingyu jumped back onto his feet.

“Yeah, I sort of saw it happen.”

“AND YOU DIDN’T STOP IT?” Mingyu looked like he was ready to exorcize me.

“Woah, calm down. I think I can help you find him. Jurogumo, can we add a passenger?” I asked the demon inside of me.

“Will you feed me after the trip?” She looked at me from inside of my head.

“Girl, I will feed you all night long if you help me reconnect my one true pairing.” I said and she stuck out her fist. We fist bumped and a third chair appeared, along with a confused Mingyu.

“What? Where am I?” He looked around the game-show room.

“Welcome to hell.”

 

QUESTIONS:

Was that okay for y’all Meanie shippers? THERE WILL BE MORE, DON’T WORRY IF IT WASN’T.

Anybody else stan Seungkwan’s power?

Will Mingyu and Wonwoo be reunited???? O: