Chapter 26

Institute of the Talented

JEONGHAN’S POV

I’m not as angelic as everybody thinks I am. Yes, I heal people. Yes, I make sure everybody is alright. In reality, I’m super lazy and only help people because I can. My powers work in strange ways. My father is an actual angel while my mother is a demon. Can you imagine how I turned out? No, probably not. Regardless of who they are, they’re beautiful and so am I. I’m getting off topic.. Because my father is an angel, he can heal people; because my mother is a demon, she can kill people (in creative ways). Luckily, I was blessed with my father’s morals and don’t walk around smiting people. Though, my father can do that too.

“Jeonghan, can you heal a little faster?” Megan panted as she moved person to person.

“Can you talk a little less?” I ignored her and continued healing my patient.

My patient is a pretty young girl, maybe a sophomore? I might have seen her around a few times. Heck, I might’ve had class with her but I’m too lazy to remember who is who. By the looks of her injuries, it looks like she was fighting a bear. I could have sworn when the principal gave us a debriefing of Wonwoo’s father’s powers, they said he could only control aspects of the earth. Are bears made of stone? I really need to pay more attention in class.

I gently rubbed my hand over her mauled stomach, releasing a heavenly light upon her wounds. The girl’s breath was inconsistent, which meant she was fighting for air; probably because her lungs were torn. Her eyes were opening, which was a good sign that she was also fighting to stay alive.

“Tell my…” She coughed up some blood. “Brother I love..” Her eyes closed and her breath fell short.

“Tell him what?” I joked and her wounds fully healed.

“Don’t joke with people’s emotions. What if she actually died?” Megan gave me the evil eye while she patched up some kid.

“Well, she didn’t. She simply fell into a deep coma. She will be fine once the war is over. Besides, I don’t even know her brother. I don’t even know who she is! How would I possibly find her brother to tell him that she loves him?” I crossed my arms and walked over to the next patient.

PEWHEEEEEW!

The ground began to shake as it felt like a stampede of wild animals was approaching. Suddenly, the wall behind me exploded into rubble. I turned around to see Woozi’s stretched out person wrapped around large pieces of rubble so it didn’t land on any of the patients. In place of the wall, a large crimson elephant stood in its place. Its features were incredibly pretty.

PEWHEEEEEW!

The elephant stomped into the ground. It looked as though it was patiently waiting for something. Perhaps it wanted a fight with a certain someone? I wouldn’t be surprised, it seems as though everybody has their battles. The elephant waited outside and the ground began to shake. My balance gave way and I fell to the floor. Suddenly, the ground in front of me broke open releasing a giant earthworm that bit Woozi and crawled out through the roof, taking his entirely stretched person with it.

“Alright, whose fight is the elephants’?” I looked at the remaining people in the room. Megan was too busy healing people, it could be her fight simply because of the fact that the elephant is waiting. Odds are it was Dino’s fight. Just by looking at him I could tell. His face told me his worst nightmare had come true. Truth be told, I’d be afraid if a ceramic elephant broke my walls too.

“Dino, would you go out and fight the thing? Isn’t that your job? You know: protect the infirmary.” Megan’s tone was cold as she wrapped someone’s torso with gauze.

“Alright, I guess.” The kid gulped and walked outside of the infirmary. As soon as he did, the massive creature began to charge at him.

Instead of watching the child get run over by an elephant, I decided it would be better to actual be useful and heal someone. The boy next to the girl I just healed was just as broken, if not more. I don’t think he was mauled by a bear, maybe a tiger? I don’t know; I don’t study zoology.

Jeonghan…

“What, Megan?” I glanced over to her.

“I didn’t call you.” She brushed off a bug on her shoulder and continued healing people.

Jeonghan…

I looked back at Megan, who seemed to be occupied with a small bug infestation. The candles somewhat lit up the room, but the corners were completely dark. Even the corridor where the elephant broke through was a bit dark. I stopped looking around and continued healing my patient. The angelic light re my palm and added more light to the room. I focused on closing the guy’s open wounds.

Jeonghan…

The sound reminded me of gargling water. But why would water be calling my name?

“Um, Jeonghan.” Megan stood up and began stomping the floor. “Hurry up and kill them so we can continue healing people.”

“What are you talking about?” I looked at her keeping my glowing hand on the guy. Megan pointed into the corner of the infirmary. I turned to see two hideous creatures. Both of them were a dark gray coloring, like wet cement. One of them was flying whilst their wings made no sound. It had a hideous beak to accompany its torn wings. The other one was holding onto the wall. This one didn’t have a beak or wings. Instead, its hind legs had hooves and its mouth was made of obsidian. “Right. Everybody has their fights.”

Jeonghan… A drop of water fell onto the flying ones head, falling out of its beak.

“That’s disgusting.” I stopped healing the guy and stood up.

“Gargoyles are hard to kill. They can talk if water runs through their head.” She paused to step on some termites. “Funny thing is: water also kills them. Legend has it that they can bend water and breathe fire. Hopefully that’s just a legend.”

“This is exhausting.” I jumped through the broken wall and they began to chase after me. The one on wings had no trouble following me. The other one, however, had to crawl on the walls, which slowed him down, but not by much. Where do you find water underground?

I continued running down corridors until I ended up in a science lab. The room seemed to be the least disturbed of the entire school. At least there was light, even if it was just two ceiling lights. In the corner of the room, chemicals of all sorts were scattered about. My favorite was the one that read ‘Chemical X’. I hope the ‘X’ stood for ‘Destroys Gargoyles’. I ran over to the chemical and waited for the creatures to come inside.

The door stood in between me and the creatures. In my hand, a weapon of mass destruction.. hopefully. Slowly, the door turned a hot red color and melted. The one that crawled on walls crept in and waited on the ceiling. The one on wings broke through the door and levitated next to the crawling one. A bit unnecessary if you ask me.

“Do you guys have names?” I crossed my arms, hiding the chemical.

Suddenly, the ceiling cracked open and a small stream of water poured down onto their heads and out of their mouths.

“We are La Gargouille, broken up into two forms. I take form of flight. You may address me as Ariel.” The winged one said.

“We are La Gargouille, broken up into two forms. I take form of flame. You may address me as Solar.” The hooved one said.

“Wonderful. I’m Jeonghan. I take form as student. You may address me as.. Jeonghan? Can we make things quick? I really don’t enjoy fighting.” I threw the chemical at them. Ariel jumped in the way, blocking Solar. The chemical made Ariel fall to the ground and scratch away at its face. Solar crawled all over the walls and ran to its flight form, breathing fire onto the impact zone. The chemical lost its effect and both of the Gargoyles reattached their attention onto me. Ariel, however, lost its beak and looked like a crushed bird. “Don’t make me smite the both of you.”

“We are La Gargouille. We are not demons. Purgatory doesn’t welcome the smited.” They spoke in unison. I found that strange because Ariel had no mouth.

Ariel flew up to me and went onto one knee, lowering its head down as if I were a king. I placed my hand on its head but nothing happened.

“We are La Gargouille. We are not demons. Purgatory doesn’t welcome the smited.” They repeated themselves as Ariel slammed me against the corner where the chemicals were.

All sorts of chemicals began mixing and flowing down my body. On my right side, a burning sensation consumed my arm. On my left, my arm almost froze. The gargoyle approached me as I freed myself from the chemicals.

“Come at me.” I coughed. Solar breathed fire at my direction and I put my hand up in defense. My hand turned black as I absorbed the fire’s life source. Suddenly, the pain from the chemicals dissipated and I felt rejuvenated.

“We are La Gargouille—”

“STOP REPEATING YOURSELVES!!!” I ran up to Ariel and placed my hand on its body. My hand radiated darkness and I consumed what life source it had left. The flight form of La Gargouille shattered into tiny pieces of pebbles. “You’re next—”

Solar crawled up my body and stuffed his talons into my throat. The room began spinning and getting darker. With what strength I had left, I placed my hand onto the hand of Solars’ and stole its life source. Solar broke into tiny pebbles, its talons falling into my stomach. On the bright side, my throat wound closed itself and I was no longer dying. However, my stomach had sharp rocks juggling around that couldn’t stay there for long. As fast as I could, I walked back to the infirmary. There, Woozi helped Megan heal patients.

“How did the battle go?” Megan looked at me. “Are you okay?”

I pointed to my stomach and passed out.

*IN CASE YOU WERE CONFUSED ABOUT WHY THE GARGOYLES USED WATER TO TALK, YET WATER WAS THEIR WEAKNESS, LET ME SHED SOME KNOWLEDGE WITH YOU. GARGOYLES, BACK IN THEM OLDEN DAYS, WERE USED TO KEEP WATER OF THE ROOF. SO IT WOULD RAIN AND THE WATER WOULD FALL OUT THEIR MOUTH. AS IT FELL OUT OF THEIR MOUTHS, PEOPLE SWORE THEY HEARD A GARGLING SOUND, WHICH IS HOW THEY GOT THEIR NAME. BUT AS TIME PASSED, WATER ENDED UP DESTROYING THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE STILL MADE OF STONE. #INTERESTING FACT OF THE.. DAY?*

 

QUESTIONS:

Will Jeonghan survive the war with rocks in his intestines?

Where is Dino?

How did Woozi escape the Earthworm’s mouth?