Chapter 25

Institute of the Talented

HOSHI’S POV

I woke up underneath a rock. My left side was engulfed with pain, luckily it wasn’t numb. I looked to my right to see the entire gym at ruins. Students were sprawled out all over the place.

“BraC3 URs3lf 4 wa7. Ev3rYb0dy tHa7 is caPAb13 of MoV1ng, pl3ase Pr3pare 4 ba77le.” The principal spoke through the loud speaker. “Sp3cia7 Un1t, to the 0f2Ic3.”

BOOM!

The loud noise sounded like the other half of the school collapsing. I vibrated my particles at a high speed and the rock shattered, freeing me. I stood up and stretched my bones. Right next to me, I noticed a sleeping Vernon.

“Wake up.” I stood over Vernon’s passed out person.

 “What’s going on?” He slowly opened his eyes and looked around.

“You missed the announcement; we’re at war and need to get in position.” I glanced around the room. Some of my friends were either badly injured or dead. “Are you hurt?” I extended my hand and got him on his feet.

“Not that I know of. Where do people from the Martial unit meet up? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. I heal fast. It’s a bonus of having super speed. Let’s find Jun.” I grabbed Vernon’s hand and ran to the nearest water fountain. “If we’re at war, we need to make sure our restrictions are not going to be an issue. I need to run to the cafeteria and stock up on protein bars. You stay by this water fountain and fight. I’ll be right back.” I ran to the kitchen of the cafeteria before he could reply.

With intense speeds, I looked around for snacks that could keep my energy at full throttle. In one drawer, I found a box of protein bars, which are the best for me. If I don’t eat a lot, I will lose a lot of weight and die.

OOOH OOOH AHHH AHHH

I spun around to see a golden monkey extending its hand.

“This is my food.” I ate a protein bar before it could snatch it away.

Suddenly, five more golden monkeys crawled out of nowhere with their hands extended. I know it’s dark and all, but why are these monkeys so reflective? I walked up to one of the monkeys and saw my reflection in its golden fur. My finger went down to touch it. Its fur was solid and super cold. The monkey’s eyes looked down at my finger touching its golden fur and let out an angry cry.

All around, monkeys began appearing and jumping around. The monkeys picked up random items and began throwing them at me. Before any could hit me, time slowed down. A banana peel moved passed my face as I moved aside from an incoming wrench. Why is there a wrench in the kitchen? Quickly, I collected my protein bars and walked away from the kitchen. I turned back to see the monkeys missing from the kitchen.

OOOH OOOH AHHH AHHH!!!

The monkeys stood in front of cafeteria doors and jumped in rage. I glanced back to the objects floating in slow motion and back to the monkeys. Why are these monkeys not in slow motion?

I stepped back and the monkeys charged at me. My particles vibrated as I sliced through the attacking monkeys. For some reason, they could keep up with my speed. As I was slicing through them, more and more kept appearing. Soon, I was slowing down as my energy depleted.

Before all of my energy was gone, I took a bite of my protein bar. There was no way I could stand there all day and slice golden monkeys. The only way I was going to beat these guys was by outrunning them. As soon as I saw an opening, I ran passed them and out the doors of the cafeteria.

The courtyard looked like an ancient coliseum. The walls were broken, the ceiling was broken, the floor was broken, EVERYTHING WAS BROKEN. All over, students fought off weird collections of things. If you thought golden monkeys were weird; try emerald snakes and diamond birds. Whoever was controlling these things, really loved animals.

“Stop chasing me!” I said while running through the battle field. Sometimes, if I ran by at the right moment, someone would strike the monkeys on accident. I guess that’s the best way to defeat these little dudes.

After running for what feels like a few years, in reality was only five minutes, the monkeys were cut down to about ten. I’m not sure why they stay dead when someone else hits them and not when I hit them. I feel a bit useless; running and eating seems completely useless. I wonder where Megan is.

After running through the battlefield a few dozen times, the monkeys were all broken. Now would be the time I find Megan. Quickly, I ran through the school until I found Megan.

“Hey, babe.” I stood next to her while she healed some poor junior with a bruise.

“Not now, Hoshi. I’m busy.” She quickly healed the poor kid and moved onto the next one.

“Need any help?” I stepped over the guy she just healed.

“Why don’t you go collect the wounded and bring them here?” She swiftly moved person to person, healing them as she went.

“On it!”

One after the other, I picked up the wounded and set them in a row near the infirmary. Sadly, there were already causalities. Are you supposed to bury dead people when they’re already underneath the ground? Instead of just leaving them, I set them neatly in the corner of the gym. If this war continued any longer, the body count would extend into the corridors. To be honest, I didn’t realize we had this many students.

On my way back to Megan, I stopped by the battlefield to see a half-human half-dragon Vernon being pushed through a wall. I really hope I didn’t have to collect his body for either injury or death. So far, none of the lunch squad was rest in peace. I know Jeonghan, Dino and Woozi are helping out in the infirmary. Jun, Seungkwan, Vernon and Wonwoo were running around here somewhere slaying as many things as they could. DK and Joshua were planning stuff out with that chick Yoolhee, last time I checked.

I ran back to Megan and was not happy to find monsters in the infirmary.

OOOH OOOH AHHH AHHHH!!!

“Really? Again?”

I turned around to see a single golden monkey. It hand extended out and I made sure my protein bars were safe on my belt. The monkey noticed my stubbornness and angrily screeched throughout the building. As it screeched, its tone got lower and lower as its body grew in size. Before I knew it, a full sized gorilla was in front of me.

“At least it’s new.” I turned to the infirmary to see Megan stepping on some termites. “I’ll be right back, babe!”

“Take your time!” She said jokingly and I ran away.

“What—” Jun said while I ran by. “Are—” I ran passed him again. “You—” And again. “Doing?” Jun asked while fighting some panda thing.

“It—” I ran passed him. “Wont—” He waited patiently for me to run by again. “Die—” I sped up. “From—” Just two more words. “My—” This is tiring. “Attacks.”

An idea came to mind. I took out my protein bar once I stopped near Jun. The gorilla stopped chasing me and eyed the bar.

“You want it, right?” I teased the beast. “Go get it!” I threw it into the corridor and the beast ran after it at lightning speed.

“If you want it to die, run by Vernon in about a minute. Time it correctly or you’ll burn up.” Jun karate chopped the poor panda, shattering its exterior. “Have you seen Woozi?”

“He’s in the infirmary, probably fighting something stretchy.” I joked and Jun flicked my forehead.

“Goodbye, Hoshi.” Jun back flipped into the war zone down the corridor.

OOOH OOOH AHHH AHHH!!

“I feel like I’m playing tag with you!” I looked down at my wristwatch and saw that my minute was almost up.

Quickly, I ran through the school until I was at the courtyard by the cafeteria. Everybody but Vernon was gone. Monsters surrounded him as they stepped on what looked to be ash. One quick glance at my wristwatch and the place lit up. I looked back at the gorilla following behind and ran alongside the spreading explosion. The golden gorilla melted as it ran alongside the explosion as I barely made it out of the blast zone. The worst of it was a slight burn.

Once the explosion was over, there was a giant crater where the courtyard should be. Smoke filled the entire place and I couldn’t see the bottom of it. Most likely, Vernon didn’t make it out alive. I circled my arms at a fast pace and strong winds blew the black smoke away long enough for me to see massive golems crawling through a hole in the wall. That’s not something I’m willing to fight. They’d probably crush me in one step.

“Got to go!” I ran back to Megan’s side. “Where are Jeonghan, Woozi and Dino?”

“Jeonghan is fighting some gargoyle looking things, Woozi is fighting an earthworm and Dino is fighting a crimson elephant.” Megan wiped the sweat off of her forehead.

“Are you okay?” I put my hand on her shoulder to feel her burning up.

“I’m fine. Nothing like healing and removing half of everybody’s restrictions.” She turned to face me. Her face was withering, her skin was extremely pale, and her body was almost paper thin.

“You should take a break for a while. I’ll go find someone that can help you.”

“Like who?” She drank some water and continued healing people.

“Wonwoo.”

 

QUESTIONS:

Are you guys enjoying the war?

Will Megan be okay?

Who’s perspective do you think is next?