Chapter 12

Institute of the Talented

SORRY FOR THE EARLY UPDATE. I WONT BE AROUND FOR THE NORMAL UPDATING TIME AND IT WAS EITHER POST IT EARLY OR POST IT LATE AND I DONT THINK YOU WANT A LATE POST. ENJOY ANYWAYS!!!

 

“Wonwoo, what’s going on? Who’s this rock guy? IS THIS THE GHOST?” Mingyu’s voice filled my ears. My eyes couldn’t open and my voice was non-existent. I tried to move but gravity seemed to have changed. My body floated weightlessly off the roof of the school. My senses were no longer my own. “Let him go, you creep.”

I have no business with you. Leave, or pay the price.” The creepy rock ghost muttered.

“I’m rich. How much does this stupid boy cost?” Mingyu tried defending me. He’s rich? Did he just call me stupid?

Your life.” The rock ghost said and I was released from the chamber of gravity he was containing me in. Finally, my sense returned to me and I could open my eyes. The moon was almost at its prime. My skin tingled from the icy air.

“A little help?” Mingyu sounded conflicted. I turned to his general direction and saw him holding up the rock ghost in a pocket of gravity. Mingyu’s hands were shaking, almost as if it were extremely heavy. “Like, now?”

Quickly, I stood up and regained my balance. Without thinking, vines encased the void of gravity the rock ghost was trapped in. Almost immediately, I understood the weight Mingyu was dealing with. This thing was incredibly heavy; I’m not sure if it’s the void or the fact that it’s a ghost made of rocks.

“We can’t hold him much longer!” I struggled keeping the vines from snapping.

“Maybe we don’t have to!” Mingyu nodded his head and we carried the massive load over the edge of the ceiling and let go. A pile of rocks collapsed onto the school’s front lawn, leaving no sign of a ghost. “Should we.. like go tell the principal or something?” Mingyu seemed just as clueless as I did.

“Yeah. That’s what responsible people would do, right?” we turned around and started heading into the building. Before we made it inside, sounds of loud rumbling came from behind us. Mingyu spotted it first and tapped my healing shoulder as I looked over to the direction of a clump of rocks merging together.

The first rock ghost was human size and took the shape of a humanoid. This new rock ghost was not small and was not human shaped. Rocks clumped together to form a massive gorilla. The craftsmanship of the rocks were amazing, the first one wasn’t nearly as clean-cut as this one is. In the naturally lighting of the night sky, it was hard to tell that it was completely made out of rocks.

I WILL TAKE YOU BOTH!!!” The massive gorilla’s words shook the ground.

I lost my footing and tumbled down the stairs, leaving Mingyu alone. As soon as I caught my balance, I ran back up the stairs and entered the rooftop. I was too late. As I entered, the giant gorilla jumped off the side of the building with Mingyu in its hand. On the ground, a vial full of a light yellow liquid sat next to a note.

Here’s a dosage of the cure for the disease I’m creating

I don’t mean to harm you so use it wisely

Come after me if you want to save this boy

-Earth

I put the note into my pocket and stared at the weird vial. It seemed to be translucent and glow-in-the-dark. To be honest, I really wanted to taste it. I didn’t want to taste the cure; I just wanted to know how ‘glow-in-the-dark’ tasted.

Instead of taking the cure down to the infirmary, I went to Yoolhee’s dorm. I knocked on the door but there was no immediate answer, so I knocked again. The door opened and a bed-head Yoolhee stood in the door frame, wearing pink pajamas.

“Nice pajamas.” I giggled.

“What do you—,” She yawned. “Want?” she looked at her wrist-watch. “It’s almost midnight, go to sleep.” She tried closing the door on me but my foot caught it before it could close.

“Wait, I need your help.” I took out the vial containing the antidote.

“What’s that?” her eyes widened as she examined it. “Is this what I think it is? The cure, right?” she took the lid off and smelled it.

“Yeah, long story. Can you make copies of it?”

“Of course I can! Can it wait until the morning?” she yawned and passed it back to me.

“No. I need to go save Mingyu.”

“What did you do this time?” she sighed and we headed towards the science lab. On the way, I told her what happened and she listened respectfully. After I finished explaining, she hit me over the head and called me stupid. In the science lab, she set up all sorts of mechanical looking things and placed the vial into a computer scanner. All sorts of buttons began lighting up and she walked around in her lab coat pressing them at an insane speed.

If I hadn’t known better, I would have guessed her power was super speed. Before I knew it, she had made a copy of the antidote.

“Need anymore?” she tossed the copy to me and I caught it.

“I need you to stay here and make more; this disease won’t go away without a few more dosages.” I placed the vial into my pocket.

“But I want to go with you.” She stopped the process of copying more.

“I can’t wait for you to finish. You need to stay here and make more antidotes! I will take somebody else.” I walked out of the science lab and removed my belt. Before she could come to the door, I tied the doors shut with my belt.

“DUDE!” She pounded on the doors. “FINE! YOU OWE ME BIG TIME FOR THIS!”

“Cover for me, please?”

“YOU OWE ME DOUBLE!”

“Thank you!” I tapped the door and walked over to the infirmary.

The infirmary doors were locked and the lights were off on the inside. My guess is that Jeonghan doesn’t work 24/7. I poked my finger into the keyhole and tried unlocking it with a small thorn. The thorn broke inside of the keyhole and the door unlocked. Dang, they’re going to know I was here. I walked over to the sickly, pink-eyed Vernon and poured the vial down his throat. It took a second, but Vernon’s temperature fell back to normal and his eyes opened.

“Woah, that was a crazy dream!” he sat up and pat his body. “Dude, why are your eyes pink?”

“Long story, I’ll explain on the way. We need to go save Mingyu.” I picked him up and we headed back to our dorm. “Please, get dressed for an adventure.”

“An adventure you say? What to bring?!” he grabbed a backpack and filled it with a large assortment of snacks. He stripped down into almost nothing, causing me to look away, and changed into some awkward looking outfit. In a matter of minutes, his bag was almost bigger than he was.

“You’re going to carry all of that?” I threw my normal sized backpack over my shoulder and waited by the door. Vernon attempted to move with the massive load on his shoulders but couldn’t inch forward at the slightest.

“I’ll just bring some water.” He left the backpack and shoved some water bottles into his never-ending pockets.

Before leaving the school, we went back up to the roof to see if I had missed any clues as to where they went. The only thing I managed to find was a trail that was left by the massive rock gorilla. Off of the side of the building, a path of broken trees and unleveled earth made its way out of the city. I’m not sure how the people of the city managed to miss a giant gorilla carrying a really attractive male, but they did.

Instead of walking back downstairs and going through the front doors of the school, I thought it would be much more entertaining to climb down on a wall of vines. Not only would it make it feel more adventurous, but it would be like practicing my power for the big fight; if one did occur. Summoning the vines seemed easier, now that vines seemed to be my specialty. Slowly, I made my way down the side of the building and waited for Vernon to come down.

“I’m tired.” Vernon panted as he reached the ground.

“We’ve got a long way to go; should I go alone?” I .

“No, we can do this!” Vernon took in a deep breath of air and started walking ahead of me.

We walked for a few miles and my body was beginning to feel tired. Vernon had stopped complaining, but I wish he wouldn’t have so I would have a reason to complain with him. As much as I wanted to save Mingyu, I was getting tired and my body wasn’t going to hold up much longer.

“Let’s stop here for the night?” I stopped and Vernon looked at his watch.

“It’s 3 in the morning. It’s too late to say ‘night’, but sure we can stop!” he looked around at the corn field we were walking in. “Am I supposed to sleep on the floor?”

With the last bit of my energy, I summoned a large and hollowed-out tree. The inside was nothing special, wood flooring and two stumps for beds. Instead of a door, there were leaves keeping us concealed. I didn’t have time to take in my glorious summon; my body collapsed onto the floor and I was out cold.

“Wonwoo, it’s me: Professor Suarez. We heard about—can he hear me?—oh, we heard about your situation and I’m here to guide you.. for a few seconds, that is. We’ve sent out a back up team, but they probably won’t arrive for a while. WAIT FOR THEM! I’m going to transfer your mind into Mingyu’s perspective for a minute. Stay sleeping.”

My eyes open but I had no control of my body. The area around me seemed like an amusement park run by scientists. All around the room, manikins were wearing creepy masks and they were all aimed at me. I seemed to be held off the ground by something much bigger than me.

My vision shifted and I was walking around in a hallway. A hand opened the door and I entered the room where Mingyu was being held. Mingyu’s mouth moved but I couldn’t hear what he said. The giant rock gorilla held him by all fours, his body spreading out like an ‘X’. By the look on Mingyu’s face, I could tell he was in pain and was extremely tired. My vision moved forward, following the body I entered, and opened a draw containing syringes. A hand shuffled around until it found the one it was looking for. We turned around to face Mingyu and began walking forward.

“That’s all I can show you right now. Good luck, and please wait for back up. Do I need to yell at you once you return?” Professor Suarez’s voice filled my head and I woke up.

My energy had returned and I felt ready to get moving. Tiny rays of sunlight poked through the holes of the tree. I looked around at my creation; it wasn’t as glorious as I thought it was when I was tired. The walls were dry and the floor seemed to be crawling with termites. The leaves that were supposed to be acting as a door were no longer there. Instead, a pile of dead leaves sat on the floor, waiting to be stomped on.

Vernon was up before me and managed to make breakfast. By breakfast, I mean popcorn. In the middle of the hollowed-out tree, Vernon placed rocks into a circle and lit a fire to pop the corn. He’s smarter than I thought he was. I rolled out of bed and sat next to him. He greeted me and I told him what Professor Suarez showed me. After breakfast, we waited for the back up team to show up.

 

NOTE: SORRY IF THE STORY IS MOVING TOO FAST, I AM PURPOSELY MOVING AT THIS SPEED BECAUSE I REALLY WANNA WRITE AT LEAST FOUR YEARS OF SCHOOL AND RIGHT NOW (IN THE STORY) IT HAS ONLY BEEN HALF A SEMESTER... LIKE 3 WEEKS. GET HYPED OKAY? BECAUSE I AM, LOL.

 

QUESTIONS:

What do you think is going to happen to Mingyu?

Why do you think Wonwoo chose Vernon to be his partner? He could have chosen anybody.

Who do you think Professor Suarez sent as help?