Fire and Ice

Friends with benefits

 

“Ya Jessica!” Hyukjae’s voice rang loud and clear in the spacious basement room that was serving as headquarters for ‘Tiffany and friends’ fantabulous Prom’.

Hyoyeon tugged at his hand instinctively. This was not going to end well – for some unknown reason Jessica and Hyukjae had stopped getting along sometime last year. Hyoyeon had questioned both of them countless times about the cause of the fall-out but both her best friends remained frustratingly mum. So for the sake of her own sanity, she had let it drop and accepted their dynamic for what it was – Fire and Ice. Hyukjae, the hot-headed versus Jessica, the cool but cruel.

 

Catching Jessica’s lazy gaze flickering to life with annoyance, Hyoyeon braced herself.

“What do you want, Hyukjae?” her voice was a sharp contrast to Hyukjae’s booming tone but it was definitely not lacking in authority.

 

Hyukjae walked a step further, bringing Hyoyeon along with him. She was now trying to pry herself out of his iron grasp to no avail.

“If you’re going to tell me to stay away from Hyoyeon, you should take better care of her. She almost out in the hallway.”  

“I did go out to look for her, Hyukjae, but I guess you were just skulking around the corner like a stalker and got to her first.”

“A STALKER?” He took a threatening step forward.

Jessica remained in her spot unflinching – her eyes issuing a challenge as she flippantly checked her perfectly manicured nails.

 

Hyoyeon had a brief disturbing vision of Jessica clawing Hyukjae’s eyes out and gross manga-like blood spurting everywhere. She shuddered.

And in those few seconds, Hyukjae had advanced another step.

'Oh God, it really is going to happen!'

 

“Calm down, you guys!” Hyoyeon finally broke free from Hyukjae and rushed to stand between them like a buffer. “You don’t have to fight over who is better at babysitting me. Or is this even about me?” She looked at both of them sharply, “Something happened between you two right… will you just tell me about it already so that we can work it out together like adults?”

“I will talk to him civilly when he stops being such a big scaredy cat,” Jessica drawled icily.

“JUNG SOO YEON!” The warning hiss in Hyukjae’s response was unmistakeable and to Hyoyeon’s surprise, Jessica backed down.

She did an effortless pirouette and went back to the ribbons she had been rolling into pretty pink roses.

 

The girl at the center of everything just watched her best friends in confusion.

“Are you going to be okay?” Hyukjae spoke to her gently and she had to blink several times to make sure this was the same person.

“Uh yea, I’m fine.” Her lips pursed into a dissatisfied pout, “I just wish you guys would stop fighting though.”

Hyukjae ruffled her hair with a smile, “We’re not fighting. We just… don’t get along. You know there are millions of people in the world, it’s normal for some not to mix well.”

“I guess…”

“I should go though. Soccer practice starts in 10. Want me to pick you up after?”

 

“Not necessary. I will drop her off on my way home,” Jessica interrupted without looking up from her masterpiece.

Annoyed, Hyukjae opened his mouth once again but Hyoyeon hastily placed her fingers against his lips, eyes pleading.

The look he gave her in response took her by surprise. It was different… new! That was the best she could come up with but before she could think any further, he had said goodbye and left the room.

 

 

“Hyo, are you ok?” It was Jessica speaking this time – her voice also much gentler as she placed her arm around Hyoyeon's shoulders.

“uh…uhhh yea I am.”

“Panic attack?” she asked sympathetically and Hyoyeon nodded.

“Well… it’s a good thing Hyukjae was there then. I know how you have difficulty breathing so even a second late could’ve been horrible.”

Hyoyeon chuckled and nudged her side, “You could’ve just told him that, you know? We could’ve avoided World War III.”

 

The classic Jessica giggles filled the room, “I could’ve… but nah! This is our ‘shtick’! Now come on, let’s get to work or else I’m going to have to deal with a second screaming banshee by the name of Hwang MiYoung. And you won’t be spared either, this time.”

=======================================================================================

short chapter this time but i had to end it here. the next one will be about prom or mostly, the after-prom! wink i'm worried about how i'm going to write it because the ideas are there but i don't know if they will come across the way i want. but you never try. you never know. so, we will see how that goes.

is this chapter too random? it will be explained in due time (and I like HyoSic :D) so thanks for reading and comment if you like. its appreciated.