the pretenders

Friends with benefits

 

“There, all done!” Hyoyeon took a step back to examine her handiwork and gave a satisfied nod. The buttons were perfectly aligned looking as good as they were sewed on by Tom Ford himself. It was a skill honed by years of practice – first because of her Appa’s tendency to be clumsy and careless - and later on, Hyukjae too who always got his clothes in tatters during his fistfights.

“Awesome! Thanks Hyorraengi,” Hyukjae grinned and then, much to her confusion, plopped himself down on the leather sofa.

Following him, she stood right in front and tapped her stiletto-clad foot; eyes raised in question.

 

The boy had the audacity to look surprised. “What?” he mumbled while simultaneously trying to unwrap one of the expensive foreign chocolates, the housekeeper ajumma had set out for Siwon.

“Er.. don’t you have somewhere to be?”

“Nah.. The twins told their parents they are going as each other’s dates so I don’t have to pick them up. And then I thought ‘how convenient – you and Siwon will be driving there so I might as well catch a ride with you guys!’” Hyoyeon’s jaw almost hit the floor. “Ha ha. Can you imagine Old Man Jang’s face if I had shown up on his doorstep and told him that his daughters would be sharing me as a date! I kind of wish I could though, don’t you Hyoraeng? Serves him right for treating me like a delinquent in Middle School.”

“You were a delinquent!” she pointed out and then shook the thought away quickly, “Wait! What do you mean you’re going to get a ride with us?”

“Exactly what it sounds like.”

 

It was all Hyoyeon could do to not start pulling out Hyukjae’s hair in frustration. They knew the exact moves to push each other’s buttons to the maximum and this was one of Hyukjae’s true and tested methods – Never giving a straight answer.

 

Breathe Hyoyeon, you’re in the most beautiful gown ever made and the nice unnie at the salon spent an hour on this hairstyle. Don’t ruin it!

 

 

“LEE HYUKJAE!”

“Geez!” he glared back at her, mouth full of his 3rd chocolate – leaving only two measly ones for Siwon – “why are you being so weird about it! You guys have enough space since Siwon’s no doubt going to get the flashiest limo so what’s the big deal? Do you want me to go to prom in a taxi?”

“It’s not that but…”

“Oh, you mean because you guys are on a date?” Hyukjae’s eyes flashed with a mock hurt expression that made Hyoyeon’s heart clench painfully – even though she knew he was acting, “Don’t worry, I won’t interrupt you lovebirds. I’ll sit in front with the driver! We’ll even pull up the screen and blast the speakers so you can make out all you want!”

 

“That’s not what I meant!” Hyoyeon almost yelled in indignation, as she hit his head and plopped down next to him on the sofa. “It’s just.. you could’ve arranged something if you knew all this in advance!”

“Oh gee forgive me for thinking my best friends wouldn’t mind giving me a ride… Uhh.. look at you!” He stood up and then got down on his knees fixing the tulle of her skirt, “How are you going to make a perfect grand entrance, if you ruin your gown by sitting down so carelessly!”

Like a little boy engrossed in his first robot making project, his lips were pursed with concentration and care while fluffing out the airy lavender colored layers so that they wouldn't be crumpled.

 

 

Hyoyeon immediately softened and a big smile made its way across her face as she watched Hyukjae being uncharacteristically gentle. “Cute kid!”

“Ya! If you’re trying to make me feel better, "studly" or "handsome" would work better!” He grinned up at her and just like that, it was settled.

Hyoyeon would have to talk Siwon into letting Hyukjae accompany them to the venue.

============================================================================

“We still have an hour till Siwon gets here, want to watch some tv or something to drink?”

“No, please stay seated my lady. Let the butler get you your drink!”

Hyukjae made his way to the kitchen and returned a few minutes later with two champagne flutes- passing one to her with a flourish and a deep bow.

“You’re ridiculous!” Her laughter tinkled airily like the floating bubbles in her glass. “But I’m actually so relieved you’re here. I might have gone crazy waiting!”

“Can’t control your excitement for tonight, hmm..?” He lazily swirled the contents of the glass before taking a big gulp. “Hyoyeonah… I know that –”

The doorbell interrupted his sentence.

 

 

“Omo! Is he already here?” Hyoyeon quickly shuffled off the couch and towards the door in a flutter– pausing briefly to check her appearance in the mirror. Her giddiness and happy panic didn't go unnoted. However, it quickly subsided when she took a peek through the peephole.

“Appa! Eemo! You’re back early!”

“Sorry sweetheart, we couldn’t help ourselves! And we also didn’t want you to have to wait alo – .. oh Hyukjae ah, what are you doing here?”

“Annyeonghaseyo Ahbujee! Annyeonghaseyo Eemo!” Hyukjae greeted as he came up to stand beside Hyoyeon in the foyer.

 

The older lady immediately started fawning over Hyukjae’s dapper look. “Omo omo Hyukjae ah, don’t you look so handsome!” She had secretly been hoping for years that Hyukjae and Hyoyeon would date, so she couldn’t help her delight at seeing them looking so perfect together. “Chamka man..”

She returned a few minutes later with an over-the-top hulky studio camera and tripod.

“Ahjumma, I thought it was bad luck if the first pictures taken aren't of the prom dates!”

“oh HyoJun ah! You sound like a superstitious old lady.. that is my job!” she chided Hyoyeon’s father, “And I’m only taking these pictures for my scrapbook so kwenchana! Come on kids, move over more towards the living room.”

 

“But Eemo, I..” // “Neh, eemo”

Hyukjae’s voice was louder, covering up Hyoyeon’s protest and so the housekeeper ajumma got her wish… as did someone else!

 ==========================================================

“Ok, now move a little closer… a little more.”

“Eemo!! This is weird!” Hyoyeon pouted childishly. The poses she was asking of them were too couple-ish.. almost like an engagement photoshoot or something. Yes, awkward! Very awkward! Which made it all the more strange, that the normally sulky and uncooperative Hyukjae had not uttered a single word of complaint.

“Yah. What is wrong with you? Why are you just going along with everything?” she hissed at him.

“It’s because…” Hyukjae’s voice was even below a whisper – meant for her ears only. “because… I like you, Kim Hyoyeon.”

 

“MWOH?” Her head snapped back.

 

 

 

Instantly Hyukjae’s face broke into a cheeky smile. “YOU. SHOULD. HAVE. SEEN. THE. LOOK. ON. YOUR. FACE!” He could barely sputter the words out through his laughter. “Honest truth? … Well.. I kindof lied to my umma that I am going as your date. So the only way I could stop her from coming down here herself and blowing my cover was to promise her lots of pictures. So cooperate, please?”

“MWOH?” she yelled again and kicked his leg. “Forget it!”

“Ouch!” The boy was now clutching his leg and hobbling around in pain. “Come on, Hyoraengi. My mom’s going to kill me!”

“No way! You’re lying to her AND using me, you evil spawn!”

 

Seeing that Hyoyeon was two seconds away from storming off this imaginary photo-shoot set, the clever housekeeper quickly intervened.  

“What is going on over there? I’m an old woman.. can’t you just comply with my wishes? Back in my day, there was nothing like this prom-shrom business and I never had any children of my own.. so this is my only chance to experience this! But if you two can’t do this for an OLD LADY who might not even be around for any of your weddings then… it’s ok. I’m sorry for burdening you!” Ahjumma was playing her emotional blackmail ace and playing it well.

 

‘Well, are you going to break her kind old heart – the Eemo who’s taken care of you all these years?’

‘uhh.. fine but this is for her, not you Lying Liar!’

"Point noted, my lady. Now look happy, will you?"

 

The bickering best friends took their places again after the silent conversation and the “old lady” happily started rattling off instructions – “Hand around her waist now! Lean your heads towards each other. How about one with you looking at each other?”

=================================================================================

A/N Sorry. thank you. sorry thank you. that's the only thing i can say to the readers and subscribers who've stuck with me. im not making any promises now because i have a bad track record. but i truly am sorry for being an undependable author.

i'm finished with school and working now before going to Uni next year so my energy level, time, brain capability to write depends on my projects. so i cannot make any promises. i will try to write as much as i can during periods of lull. 

there isnt a lot of dynamic movement in the story right now because im so tired, i only feel like writing fluff. consequently, i feel like the train that was heading towards seoul is like going to tokyo but i will get back on track asap. have a good weekend