something about today

Friends with benefits

>> a little surprise for all you lovely people who commented. i am so suprised and taken aback with all the comments! will update again tonight <<

 

==========================================================

A week later,

 

“Hey Hyoyeon! How are youuu~ doing?” Donghae wiggled his eyebrows at her as she walked towards her locker.

“Uh.. I’m okay I guess… Why?” she asked with narrowed eyes. The self-declared Fish was giving out an extra fishy vibe.

“No nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just making polite conversation. Why? Did someone tell you something?” The classic Lee Donghae i-can’t-keep-a-secret-to-save-my-life word vomit.

“Trick’s up Donghae! Tell me what’s going on!”

His eyes darted around wildly before zoning in on the football coach. “Sorry HyoHyo would love to stick around and chat but I have to talk to the coach about some last minute strategies. I’ll see you at the game tonight, yeah?”

He shot past her before Hyoyeon could react.

She shook her head and got her books out.

*****************************************************************************8

“Morning Hyoyeonniee..” Tiffany grinned widely, “Did you sleep well? You look pretty.”

“Now you are being weird too!”

“Waee? What did I do?”

Hyoyeon was about to fill her in on her encounter with Donghae but the arrival of the homeroom teacher sent them scrambling for their homework instead.

 

As the day went on, Hyoyeon could swear that things were getting stranger.

Sunny kept winking at her randomly.

Sooyoung fussed over her hair every time they ran into each other.

And at least ten different people had asked her if she was going to the game.

Duh! As co-cheerleading captain, it’s not like she could miss the District Finals.

 

You’ve got mail!

It was a message from Jessica:

 

Hyo! We’re going to my place to get ready for the game. Pick you up in front of the west gate after school! 

Don’t be late. luv u, Jessie xo

 

Hyoyeon blew at her bangs in exasperation. Just what the hell was going on? But at least she would get some answers soon.

*************************************************************************

“Ok. Something is definitely up and you girls better tell me right now.” Hyoyeon demanded with her hands on her hips.

All her friends looked away trying not to meet her eyes.

“Yaaahhhh!”

“Yelling is not going to get you anywhere Hyoyeonnie so let’s get ready!” Yuri grabbed her hand and started pulling her into the bathroom.

Hyoyeon tried to dig her heels in – protesting in her choding way – but with Yoona pushing her from behind and Seohyun taking her other hand, she was dragged along anyway.

 

“Taeyeonahhhh! You’ll tell me, right? You guys are all acting weird! Why can’t you just tell me?” her barrage of questions continued until Taeyeon finally put her make-up brush down in defeat.

“OK. I’ll tell you as much as I can but you have to promise, no more questions after that. I have to do everyone else’s make up too.”

Hyoyeon nodded obediently.

“Okay the thing is.. If we win the game tonight then our cheerleading team will also get an award and we’ve picked you to go on stage and get it.”

“What? That’s dumb. Why can’t we all go on together?”

“We want you to get the spotlight. You choreographed our routine.”

“But we’re a team. We did it together so why should it just be me? And yah! We won the nationals already so why are you guys making such a big deal about this school thing?”

“Aish! We already decided it so we’re not changing our minds. Now, you promised no more questions, right? So shush.”

**************************************************************

The excitement was palpable as the girls made their way towards the lockers. It was a big night for their high school – winning District would send them into Nationals undefeated. Everywhere students ran around in their school colors of blue and yellow and the marching band already had the packed stands on their feet.

It seemed like the entire town had gathered at their football field.

 

“Ya! Didn’t I tell you guys these blue and yellow ribbons would look so cool?” Yuri asked proudly swishing her hair from side to side.

“Yes Yuri unnie. They really do!” Seohyun indulged her while Hyoyeon and Sunny decided to go buy water bottles for them all.

 

“Hey! Is that Hyukjae?” Hyoyeon asked as she saw the familiar head of brown disappear around the corner.

“mm? Hyukjae? Where?” Sunny responded though it was clear she didn’t really care for the answer – her eyes were trained on Sungmin who was walking around looking very buff in his shoulder pads – helmet in hand.

“Yea. I’m gonna go talk to him quickly and leave you two alone. Meet you back at the stands in 10? Don’t get too carried away, lovebirds. Min’s going to need his energy for the field.”

“I heard that Hyoyeonnie!” Sungmin objected while putting an arm each around his girlfriend and Hyoyeon.

“I meant for you to!” Hyoyeon ducked out from his hold and showing him her tongue childishly, took off running after Hyukjae.

 

It was odd. Why was he heading towards the parking lot?

“Hyuk!” she yelled over the crowd but it was pretty useless. It was too loud around them.

 

But Hyukjae felt his ears twitch and turned back.

Hyoyeon smiled and ran to catch up with him. “Hey! Where are you going?”

“Home.”

“Right now? What about the game?”

“I can’t watch it. My parents have this thing.”

“Thing? But.. it’s the finals. Donghae and the guys are going to kill you!”

“Nah! I talked to them. Besides, I’ll be there when they win Nationals.”

 

Hyoyeon was a little taken aback. “Oh.. ok. I guess you’re going to miss it.. apparently i'm also receiving some award or something. But it’s no big deal.”

“Really? Congrats Hyo! I’m happy for you.”

Hyoyeon just shrugged, “It’s embarrassing. It’s an award for the team.. I just don’t know why the girls are insisting I get it… Anyway, I should get back.” She bit her lip, “sure, you can’t stay? What about the after party?”

“Can’t unfortunately, but cheer extra hard for me?”

Hyoyeon nodded and waved goodbye.

*****************************************************************************