you're hot then you're cold

Friends with benefits

 

“Here,” Hyukjae took her hand, opened up her palm and placed his discman in it. Turning up the volume to max allowed them both to kind of hear the song – Billie Jean by Michael Jackson.

‘I bet he can moonwalk and that’s about it. No way it’s going to impress me enough Monkey-boy.’ Hyoyeon felt smug and confident.

“Ready to let your jaw drop?”

“Give it your best shot.”

 

The music started to take off and Hyoyeon settled herself against the bench putting on her best bored ‘Jessica’ face – ‘As expected here comes the moonwalk!’ She smirked, Victory will be mine, Lee Hyuk—

Like an invisible hand had just smacked her spine, she straightened up in her seat – The only word she could find to describe what was occurring was “MAGIC”. Hyukjae seemed to transform right before her own eyes… He was not just moonwalking but popping and locking like the pros she had been religiously reading up on in those hidden books… no, he was even better because he was the real deal. He moved precisely, hitting the beats – not like someone who has rehearsed the piece a thousand times but like someone whose moves flowed through his being. It was natural and immaculate and awe-inspiring.

So beside herself was she that Hyoyeon even thought she might start to cry.

 

 

 

“Looks like I won the bet, new bestie!” Hyukjae was grinning at her from ear to ear. She had half expected him to give her his signature cocky smirk but no – he was glowing like a kid who had just scored his first homerun – all childlike and proud!  

When he still didn’t get a response from the young girl, his hand reached up to her chin and lifted it lightly making close. “You know I didn’t literally expect your jaw to drop. I’m pretty darn good, huh.”

This time, Hyoyeon nodded. She knew he wasn’t being a show-off. It was just the plain and simple truth – he was blessed with this talent and he did his maker total justice.

 

‘Could this be fate?’

The loud pounding of her heart grew even more intense, thoughts flying around in her brain – ‘He is the answer to your prayers? It’s a chance, Hyoyeon. Take it!’

 

She took deep relaxing breaths like the kind her pilates videos preached about – and what do you know? It actually worked! She felt herself slowly regaining control – Hyukjae was simply watching her with a confused yet curious expression.

“Ohm…. Ohm…” she breathed in and out.

 

Finally, her pretty brown eyes opened up and she looked Hyukjae square in the eyes, “Teach me how to dance like that and we can hang out 4 days a week until the end of the summer."

With a loud slightly obnoxious laugh, Hyukjae extended his hand out to seal the deal.

**********************************************************************************

 

The rest of the summer passed by in a blur – they were the perfect match! Both obsessed with dancing – one never tired of teaching and the other was always eager to learn.

In between they had conversations, ate meals and got to know each other better. They were slowly becoming friends in the real sense of the word!

 

One evening Hyoyeon decided to let Hyukjae in on a bit of her past. They were lying down on the terrace (after he had taught her the basics of krumping), just watching the dark sky. It was the anniversary of her mother's death and Hyoyeon was feeling vulnerable.

So she told him about how her mom had passed away when she was really young and how her father had raised her on his own. Somehow she even found herself confessing that she sometimes felt like she couldn’t be who she wanted to be in front of her father. To him, she would always be his little princess so in order to not disappoint him, she wore the ugly dresses he got her, attended ballet lessons even though she would rather be doing something like hip-hop or popping.

She had fully expected him to laugh at her silly thoughts but for the 20th time that summer, Hyukjae did the unexpected.

He awkwardly patted her shoulder (but he was so bad at physical contact that in reality it felt more like he was trying to brush some imaginary dirt off) and after thinking long and hard about the right words to say, spoke, “Your dad will love you for whatever you are Hyoraeng. He has devoted his whole life to you and even I, as a person who has pretty much had to raise himself, can see that. There’s no way he will think any less of you just because you don’t like the typical girly things. Which is really awes –, I mean, is not that bad..” His palms were suddenly sweaty, “I mean you make a really weird girly girl so it’s better that you’re a tomboy. You’re pretty much like a guy anyway.”

As soon as he stopped talking, Hyukjae cursed silently, wanting to bite his own tongue off.

He glanced at her form beside him nervously.. was she mad at him? Offended? It was too dark to tell.. ‘Why am I so damn bad at compliments?’

 

He felt Hyoyeon sit up and panic seized him yet again – they had been having such a fun and fight-free summer.. and he had gone and ruined it yet again.

“Hey I’m sor –”

“Thanks Hyukjae.”

“Wait.. what? You’re not mad?”

“No. Why would I be? It’s the truth, right.” She stood up quickly.

There was a sharp jabbing pain in Hyukjae’s chest and by sheer instinct alone, his hand reached out to grab hers but it was too late. She had already gone inside.

************************************************************************************

When she showed up for their lesson the next morning, she acted like nothing had happened and he had no choice but to play along.

 

 The summer continued as usual until they suddenly realized that they were almost at the end. Hyoyeon’s friends would be returning back from camp the next day so Hyukjae knew it would be the end of them hanging out together.

 

Reminiscent of another morning two months ago, Hyukjae woke up in a terrible mood –  once again he didn’t even want to get out of bed. It was pathetic really! He, Lee Hyukjae, who had never had nor needed a friend, was now feeling all twisty and sad inside at the thought of losing her.

‘It’s ok. School starts on Monday and you can make new friends now that you have had practise.’

‘Maybe Hyoraeng..? No way! She’s way too amazing for her friends to want to share her with anyone else.. and she is probably dancing at the thought of not being forced to hang out with you anymore.’

 

He tossed and turned around in his bed, throwing his pillows and sheets on the floor. He contemplated not showing up for their last session at all but he couldn’t take the thought of not saying a proper goodbye either so he eventually got up, showered and changed into freshly laundered clothes.

 

She was sitting on the park bench as usual.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

The air was really awkward.

“You going to dance in that?” he asked, indicating to her flowery blouse and frilly layered skirt.

She cracked a small hesitant smile, “That’s the thing. I won’t be able to stay for a lesson today. A couple of my friends got back early so I’m going to the movies and dinner with them.”

“Oh.” He felt his heart plummet. “That.. that’s good because I didn’t feel like teaching you anyway. Honestly, I was getting sick of it.”

Hyoyeon glared at him. He was going to miss those fierce eyes. “You’re such a douche bag!” With that she stood up and stomped away.

 

‘Wait!’ he wanted to yell. ‘Don’t go yet.. not like this.’ But his real self stayed silent and unmoving – only following her with his eyes – watching as she grew smaller and smaller.

==================================================================================================================

A/N

This is not at all what i wanted to post today. I thought i'd be able to get as far as their first experience but my mind is so manipulative. it's decided to drag it out and after thinking about it, i guess slow and steady might be the best approach. their friendship should be firmly established first, right or else the big conflict might seem too unrealistic so please bear with me a little longer. thank you