Sukai - First Date

Exo Drabble Collection

As far as first dates go, Jongin thinks, this ranks right up there with the best he’s ever been on.

He’s been smitten with Kim Junmyeon since the older boy had moved into the apartment next door nearly a year ago, and had only caught short glimpses of Junmyeon in the hallway, heard him humming along to girl groups through the paper thin walls, exchanged small pleasantries. They’d never had a conversation, though, beyond a simple “Hello, nice weather we’re having, isn’t it?” so he’d nearly dropped his bags of groceries when Junmyeon stopped him in the hallway and asked him if maybe, possibly, he’d want to go on a, you know, date.

The restaurant is classy, but not so fancy that Jongin feels out of place when he guffaws loudly at Junmyeon’s adorable, terrible jokes. Junmyeon is sitting across from him in a soft baby blue sweater with a gray plaid shirt beneath. They don’t really match, but Jongin prefers it that way. Junmyeon’s unfortunate sense of fashion is just one of the many things Jongin’s observed about him over the past few months that made him want to get to know him.

They’ve done quite a bit of that tonight, getting to know each other. Jongin has learned that Junmyeon has a close relationship with his mother, meeting her for lunch twice every week and calling her after dinner every day. He’s learned that Junmyeon’s favorite girl group is Mamamoo and he’s been to many Music Core tapings to see them. He’s learned that Junmyeon’s voice is soothing and makes Jongin feel as if he’s been wrapped in a very warm and fluffy blanket, that his eyes disappear when he really laughs, that he’s got a tiny little mole just above his mouth that Jongin very much would like to kiss. 

“You’re staring again.” Junmyeon says, and Jongin nearly jumps in his chair when he feels the toe of Junmyeon’s shoe rubbing against his calf. He’s not exactly smiling, more like smirking and Jongin thinks he sees a challenge in Junmyeon’s eyes.

“Sorry.” Jongin winces when his voice cracks.

“I really like you, Jongin.” Junmyeon leans forward in his chair, reaching across the table and closing his hand around Jongin’s. His hands are soft and warm. Jongin’s heart skips a beat.

“Me too.” Junmyeon’s thumb is rubbing circles over Jongin’s palm and Jongin suddenly feels dizzy.

“I’m not ready for this night to end, how about you?” 

Jongin shakes his head. “No, definitely not.”

Junmyeon flags down the waitress, insisting on footing the entire bill and suggesting a walk in the nearby park. He places his hand on the small of Jongin’s back as they leave the restaurant and Jongin feels weightless.

As they walk through the park, their hands brush and Jongin feels like a teenager again with the way it makes butterflies flutter in his stomach. He’s trying to decide whether or not to just go for it when Junmyeon’s palm slides over his own, linking their fingers together and squeezing. He looks up at Jongin and he’s smiling so wide that Jongin can’t help but grin himself. 

“I thought you were out of my league,” Junmyeon confesses. “That’s why it took me ten months to work up the courage to ask you out.”

“Me?” Jongin finds it hard to believe that someone as handsome and wonderful as Junmyeon could think that of him.

“Have you seen yourself?” Junmyeon laughs, bumping Jongin’s arm with his shoulder. Jongin can feel his cheeks turning pink.

“While we’re confessing,” the butterflies in Jongin’s stomach seem to be multiplying. “I’ve had the biggest crush on you since the day you moved in.”

“That makes two of us.” Junmyeon says stopping in the middle of the gravel path and tugging Jongin toward him. They’re standing nearly toe-to-toe and Junmyeon looks up at him, his eyes shining. He takes Jongin’s other hand in his own. Jongin swallows thickly.

Jongin’s heart is pounding when he leans down to press his lips to Junmyeon’s, then skips a beat when Junmyeon presses forward, letting go of one of Jongin’s hands to cup his cheek. When they pull apart a moment later, they smile at each other and Junmyeon honest-to-god giggles and Jongin is so happy with how this date has turned out.

“If you’re not doing anything else tonight,” Junmyeon says after giving Jongin another lingering kiss, “do you want to maybe come over and watch a movie with me tonight?”

The thought of spending more time with Junmyeon and the prospect of some innocent snuggles (or not so innocent, Jongin’s not opposed) has Jongin grinning and nodding enthusiastically. “I’d love to.”

“Good.” 

Good indeed.