chapter 6

The only love I knew

Like a zombie she dragged herself inside as her gaze fixed at her sister’s smiling picture amid the bunch of her favorite Easter lilies for her memorial service. Each step was like a mile to her.

 

/Flashback/

“Umma what is Jin doing there?”The five year old Jaejoong blinked her doe eyes curiously and asked her mother who was busy making flower tiara for both of her daughters in the field full of white daisies.

“She is planting lilies. It’s your favorite right. She wanted to buy it every day for you but we don’t have such big money so I buy a plant this way you can have flowers all your life.”Her mother told her with a gentle smile.

“Jae!” Jaejoong half ran to her sister and crouched down beside her. “You should have bought your favorite idiot.”

“I don’t need that because your favorite is my favorite Jae.” Jaejin cupped her sister face with her muddy hand and laughed out loud when she made her sister’s chubby cheeks dirty by mistake.

/Flashback end/

 

 The reminiscence of Jaejin pierced her heart. “Hadn’t she texted her this very morning about her wedding? She sounded so happy then how can such a thing happen to her? This must be a nightmare, once I woke up everything will be alright.”

“Are you taking revenge on me just because I left you the other day?” Jaejoong kneel down on the floor in front of her portrait and reach out her hand to touch her cheek but a hand stopped her from doing so. She turned her head toward the silhouette which turned out to be her sister’s fiancé Jung Yunho.

 

/Flash back/

“Jin! Where are you? Why are you not here yet?” He questioned her impatiently over the phone.

“I am sorry Yun something came up I have to finish it no matter what?”

“But Jaejin, it’s our wedding baby and you are on leave. Work can wait for a day right!” He tried but his voice sound terribly disheartened.

“It’s not about work I can’t explain it but I love you and I am doing this for us I am sorry but please wait for me I will definitely come back bye.” with that the line cut down. “Am I the only one who is excited for our wedding?” Yunho just stared blankly at his phone.

/flashback end/

 

He was sitting at the corner of the room completely divested due to the aftermath of Jaejin’s death. The shine of his eyes from this morning was nowhere to be found. He was the person whose dream died on the day they were supposed to turn into reality.

“Mr. Jung!”

He slowly turned his head when somebody called his name. It was his ex-fiancé Kim Junsu offering him a glass of water. He looked at her face without saying a word.

“Please have it you have been like this for hours!” She squatted down and reached out her hand toward him but before he could take the glass from her hand his eyes darted over her shoulder and fixed to that very person he doesn’t want to meet at any cost. A gush of anger stormed inside his brain giving him a surprising strength he pass by Junsu as if she doesn’t exist in this world and just fasten to stop those hands from touching his late beloved picture. He dragged her out of the hall and threw her on the floor as if she was not more than trash to him.

“How dare you set your dirty foot here?” He growled furiously. His brown beautiful eyes were red and puffy. This was supposed to be the best day of his life but here he was standing on his own losing all his happiness in a snap.

“Yun…” Her voice shattered.

“Don’t call my name I hate the way it sound from your filthy mouth.” He clutched and pushed her back until her body slammed the wall’s surface putting all his effort to chock her out of her breath. Her eyes filled with tears due to unbearable pain. The paces of her heart quicken she felt a gush of blood in her head yet she didn’t try to defend herself as if she had accepted his abhorrence as the consequence.

“Yun! What are you doing? Let her go. You will kill her. Yun! Come back to your sense.” Mrs. Jung pulled him back to stop him but he kept increasing pressure around her neck until a hard slap broke his trance.

“Are you out of your mind? What do you think you were doing?” She hid the innocent stoned delicate frame of Jaejoong in her embrace protectively.

“Yes I am out of my mind I want to kill her. If only it wasn’t she Jaejin might,” He paused for a bit “She is the reason of Jaejin’s death and she deserves to be killed don’t stop me.” He came forward to pull her out of his mother’s cuddle but Mrs. Jung shielded her firmly and pushed him back.

“Yunho! I know you love Jaejin so much but don’t forget that you are not the only one who is suffering she is also facing the same trauma from her sudden death.”

“I don’t want to hear anything. Don’t ever cross my path in future. If this happen ever again I swear I will ruin your life I don’t care if you are Jaejin’s sister or who ever. If I can’t be happy I won’t let you be happy either, keep that in your little brain I’ll make you suffer all your life along with the one you love, now get out of here before I lose my serenity.” He said with disgust and made his way to the funeral hall.

After Yunho’s departure Mrs. Jung patted Jaejoong’s head to sooth her, who was still shivering due to Yunho’s yelling and hurtful scolding. After taking some time Jaejoong broke the gentle hug and bow to her to depart. Mrs. Jung looked at her tired depressed self until it vanished from her sight.

 

“I am Jaejoong. Jaejin’s sister.” Jaejoong introduced herself to the cop who was looking at her with pale face as if he had seen a ghost. After attending Jin’s funeral Jaejoong came directly to the police station since it was the only place where she could get the answers of all her questions.

“Oh! The one who died in the road accident this noon!” He questioned her and she just nod momentarily in response.

“I want to know about the case.” She pleaded in her soft voice.

“There is nothing special Mam it is just a simple road accident.” Her hands fist into a ball at the statement of the cop but she ignored it. “I don’t think she is a victim here. All of a sudden she popped in front of the car and bang. None of the two have time to dodge the dash that is what we got from the black box of the driver what was his name, yes! Park Yoochun. That’s the guy. It was entirely her fault.” The policeman said nonchalantly choosing insensitive words when a tight slap across his face stopped his blabbers.

“She might be in fault but you have no right to say something thoughtless like this to a deceased person. Being a cop you should have shown some sensitivity.” Jaejoong looked at him into his eyes without fear and left. The cop looked toward his partner with a hand on his sore cheek who was staring at him with a mixture of sympathy and disappointment.

 

She has been walking under the rain for hours now but she was still unable to feel the cold as the name keep replaying inside her mind.

“Park Yoochun! That’s the guy. Park Yoochun!”

Am I being punished by the heaven for loving you Yoochun sunbae? She asked herself.

 

/Flashback/

“It’s good that you are going to concentrate on your studies. We people were not fortunate enough to get education in our time but I am happy that you got a chance for you do well hmm.” The old man patted her head dotingly. He had always shown affection to her as if she was his own granddaughter.

“Haraboji! Thank you so much for taking care of me all this time.” Jaejoong bowed to the bakery shop owner where she worked as part time assistance chef.

“Thanks to you too, since you join us our sales increased a lot. If you ever want to come back then don’t hesitate you are always welcome dear.” Mr. Go smiled back to her. “Jae! You are forgetting something.”

“Me! What?”

“Happy birthday brat. Wish Jin from my side, this is for you.” He put an envelope in her palm.

“Bonus!” she beamed in happiness.

“It’s your birthday gift phabo. Spend it wisely.” Mr. Go knuckled her forehead dotingly and she giggled sheepishly.

 “It’s raining outside, take this with you.” He offered her his umbrella.

“That’s so sweet of you.”  bowed to him and waved a good bye. She hummed her favorite melody while playing with the accumulate water on the walkway for pedestrian. She was walking down the empty street while checking out the time in her wrist watch suddenly a familiar shadow caught her attention that was walking aimlessly on the road not minding the heavy rain. When she approached the silhouette out of curiosity she got taken aback after realizing that he was none other than her idol, her crush Park Yoochun. She never ever imagined in her dreams that she will meet him outside the university. Before she could praise her fate some more she saw him throwing himself in front of the vehicle which was coming from the other side in full speed. It was only a matter of moment for him to die that night but thanks to her fast reflection. Both of them were now lying on the sideway safe and sound.

“Sunbae!”She called the unconscious boy but got no response so she touched his cheek to slap him lightly but got stunned to know that he got a high fever. “Sunbae! Open your eyes. Are you okay? Sunbae!”She called his name fruitlessly when she saw a car’s headlight from a far. She left his unconscious body there and run to stop the car to get the help for him.

Fortunately the car driver stopped for her. She half ran to the window.

“Please help us. My friend, my friend is running into high fever. Please save him.” She begged to the driver between her uneven breaths. The driver helped her to get the unconscious boy inside the car. Soon they reach the hospital. Thanks to Mr. Go she was able to pay bills for Yoochun’s treatment. She never left his side not for a single moment until the doctor insured her that he is out of danger.

“Don’t go. Please don’t go. I love you. I’ll die without you. Please! Please I am begging you.” Yoochun cried in his sleep throwing his head on his sides and unintentionally tightened his grip around their intertwined fingers. Jaejoong was still in her wet cloths unable to move from her seat. She helplessly looked at the boy who wasn’t only facing high fever but ache of a broken heart.

“I am not going anywhere. I will stay by your side don’t worry and sleep some more.” She lean in and whispered in his ear the next moment she felt his fingers relaxing around her. She put her hand over his chest. “You must be hurting here so much. Your generous heart is something rare for the world how can I let it bleed. I don’t know why she did this to you but I am sure of one thing that I am able to heal it all for you.” She made a promised to the sleeping Yoochun between tears. Suddenly her phone vibrated inside her pocket. Afraid that it might wake him up she came outside to take the call.

“Hello!”

“Yaa Jae! Where are you? Aren’t you coming home I am waiting for you.” It was her elder sister Jaejin on the other side.

“Oh! Sorry Jin I don’t think I can make it tonight something came up so I have to work at night.” She cleared to sound normal and liked outside the window it wasn’t raining outside but the atmosphere turned out a bit cold than usual.

“What! But you said you are going to quit your job after working for half day.”

“I am quitting it is just for tonight.”

“Okay I got it but Jae, are you crying by chance? Your voice sound strange.” Jaejin interrogated her like a detective.

“No, no why would I cry. I was listening to a sad story of my colleague.” She lied to her as she tried to create a fake cheery voice.

“It must be touching story? So what happened in the end?” Her innocent question pierced her heart reluctantly.

“I am still in the middle of it. Don’t worry about me have your dinner and go to bed.” Jaejoong let out a sad chuckle to ensure her twin.

“Jin!”

“Hmm!”

“Happy birthday sis. What do you want for your present?”

“Happy birthday to you too. Nothing, you remember our day that’s enough for me. Take care Jae! Bye.”Jaejin replied happily. She cut the call and move out to get some fresh air.

Unknown to her someone was watching her every move in admiration.

/Flashback end/