The Things Sold By the Sea Shore

Just The Words

 

 

I could have sworn I was telling the truth when I said I didn’t miss you.

 

 



 

Yong-sun puts her cold feet on her sister as they were watching a scary movie. Naeun comes into the living, attempting to hold all the cups of hot chocolate.

 

She sets it down and takes a seat beside Yong-sun. “Yah, Naeun is here now. Go put your feet on her.” her sister says.

 

Naeun throws her a look “Nope not going to happen, I’m going to have to deal with this when we go back. Take one for the team and suffer through it.”

 

Her sister lets out a groan, shoving Yong-sun’s feet off her. “I’m pressing play and you better not put your feet back on me.” a glare was thrown. She reaches for the remote and presses play.

 

Yong-sun pulls the cover closer to her face, she doesn’t know why she even agreed to watch a scary movie in the first place. She always gets scared and ends up crying every time.

 

She feels her phone vibrate and she looks under the blanket to see the notification. It was a message from Byul-yi. The girl wanted to see her again sometime soon. Yong-sun looks at her sister then to Naeun, both who didn’t seem to notice her getting a message.

 

And Yong-sun starts to reflect on her behavior around them, she doesn’t know why she never brought up anything about her and Byul-yi frequently meeting up with each other.

 

She was a bit scared if she were to be a little honest, what would they say once they found out? Especially Naeun, who had always encouraged her to live her own life after forgetting about the younger.

 

Yong-sun gets up from the couch, her hand still holding her phone closely to her body. “I’m going to make some popcorn, does anyone want anything because once I get up I’m not going to be doing anymore favors.” they wave her off and Yong-sun heads to the kitchen.

 

She goes through their cabinets and finds the popcorn before sticking it in the microwave. After pressing the start button she looks back at her phone, her thumbs over the typing buttons.

 

Yong-sun is supposed to leave back to the states next week and she contemplates what she wants to type. Was it even a good idea to continuously meet her ex?

 

She ends up sending her a text back on a date that would be good. Almost immediately she gets a text back from Byul-yi and Yong-sun doesn’t know why it made her happier than it should have.

 

A smile starts to form on her lips and Yong-sun tries everything in her will to drop it. She hates to admit it but she’s starting to feel the same fluttering feelings she had when she was in high school.

 

The popping from the popcorn gets louder and she sends Byul-yi another text.

 

There is a beep from the microwave and she takes the popcorn out and shakes the bag, heading back to the living room. “What did I miss?” she takes a seat.

 

“Nothing really, they just arrived at the cabin.” Naeun mumbles.

 

There is another buzz and this time it catches her sister’s attention “Who’s texting you?” and Yong-sun doesn’t know why she lies “Seulgi.”

 

I mean it’s not like she even had to say anything in the first place. It was her business and her business only. Gosh was word vomit hell.

 

“You should’ve invited her over.” her sister says taking a sip from her hot chocolate.

 

“Oh.” Yong-sun feels like that ‘oh’ came out wrong “She’s busy with the college stuff, you know?”

 

Her sister nods and turns her attention back to the movie.

 

Yong-sun has this awful pit in her stomach and it honestly made her feel worse.

 

 

<>

 

 

Yong-sun shoots straight up with a gasp leaving her lips, sweat running down her face. She looks at Naeun who was still asleep beside her.

 

Yong-sun gets up and her legs feel like jelly, she barely even manages to get to her restroom. She looks into the mirror and she was drenched with sweat, it’s not like she didn’t feel like how she was portrayed. A hand was held against her chest and it was beating like crazy.

 

Yong-sun washes her face and then heads to the living room. She takes a seat before putting her hands to her face.

 

She had a bad dream and she couldn’t even remember what it was even about, Yong-sun has this bad anxiety feeling that wouldn’t go away.

 

A chill runs down her spine and Yong-sun feels like crying. She didn’t like this.

 

She hears the door creak open and Yong-sun turns around to see a sleepy Naeun, whose eyes almost appeared to be closed.

 

“Hey.” Naeun calls out in a hoarse tone.

 

“What are you doing awake?” Yong-sun asked.

 

“I started to get cold.” Naeun steps into the living room “Your mom said that if I ever got cold that there was a heater in that closet.”

 

“Ah.” and Yong-sun doesn’t know what to say as Naeun steps closer to her.

 

“Are you okay?” and she sits down beside Yong-sun.

 

“Yeah it’s just a bad dream, I guess.” she swallows whatever was stuck in .

 

“Well do you want to talk about it? What was it about?” and Yong-sun feels stupid as Naeun puts a comforting hand on her back because she didn’t know why she was even crying in the first place. This was stupid, crying for no reason.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

Naeun thinks for a second before replying “Why don’t we just get you to bed, we don’t have to sleep. We can just lie down and talk, it’ll make me feel better knowing that you’re with me.”

 

She doesn’t deserve Son Naeun.

 

They both get up and head back to her room. The girls make themselves comfortable again and it only takes a matter of seconds before Naeun completely wraps herself around Yong-sun.

 

“No wonder I was so cold, I needed my heater in the bed with me.” She hears Naeun mumble and Yong-sun notices just how tired the girl sounded.

 

 

< >

 

 

“Oh you seem to be writing more lately.”

 

 

< >

 

 

Yong-sun keeps her eyes on Byul-yi who was placing their order, Yong-sun’s phone pressed against her ear. “I don’t think I want to go back right now.”

 

“What? Really? I mean there isn’t anything over here that’s really keeping you from staying there longer.” her publicist says through the phone. “Is there a reason you want to stay longer?”

 

Byul-yi turns around with the two cups in hands, throwing Yong-sun a smile and she points to a free booth. Yong-sun throws her a smile and gives her an okay.

 

“I don’t know I just-” Yong-sun doesn’t really know what she’s going to say “I’m writing more.”

 

“You’re writing more?”

 

“Yeah like I’m writing with more care and I just think staying here…..I found some inspiration to write.” her last couple of words got weaker as she continued to talk.

 

There was silence coming from the other line before breaking it “I see. Well just continue what you’re doing as always.” the two bid each other their goodbyes and Yong-sun heads to where Byul-yi was seated at.

 

“Sorry about that.” Yong-sun apologizes and sits down in front of the girl.

 

“It’s no problem, you’re a busy person. I should be the one apologizing for taking up your time.” Byul-yi says.

 

Yong-sun takes a sip from her drink “Hmm..this is good.” she then looks at her drink, not knowing what exactly she was looking at.

 

“Is it really?” Byul-yi has a different drink from the older.

 

“Yeah, do you to try some?” Yong-sun asks.

 

Byul-yi gives no reply, instead she just leans over the table. Her hand going over Yong-sun’s, pulling the drink closer to her face and taking a sip. A blush starts to form on Byul-yi’s face as she notices just how bold she had gotten.

 

She lets out a hum, agreeing “It does taste good.”

 

“So how is work going?” Yong-sun ask, ignoring the actions that the girl across from her did.

 

“Ah, since it’s somewhat the beginning of the new school year it’s taking some time to settle down but it’s going as plan.” Byul-yi said, almost uninterested in talking about the school but Yong-sun didn’t know what else to talk about other than that.

 

“Shouldn’t you be working on that instead of coming to see me?” Yong-sun questions.

 

Byul-yi gives a shrug “I haven’t had any hard work as of right now but later in the year is when I’ll be crowded with work.”

 

Yong-sun’s phone vibrates and she checks the message from her publisher. Last chance, are you coming back home or staying?

 

And she starts to wonder if it’s really a good idea to stay or not, sure she missed the people here but home was now in the states. Home. She loves everything about the states but she also misses what was once here.

 

Yong-sun picks up her phone, wondering what she’s going to write back. “Is there something wrong?” Byul-yi couldn’t help but ask.

 

Yong-sun bites her lip and lets out a hum before asking “Should I stay? Or should I go back to the states?”

 

Byul-yi sits back in her seat “I really shouldn’t be the one to ask.”

 

“And why’s that?”

 

“Because I want you to stay, I know I’m going to regret letting you go a second time. Yong-sun….I really feel like this is my last chance. So stay.”




 


 

 

Sorry to cut this chapter so short but I have big things happening next chapter ;) I don’t think you guys are ready.

 

Should I give you guys a teaser for the next chapter?

 

The Missed Appointment

 

“......I knew….it really can’t be anyone but you, Yong-sun.”

Let me know what you guys think!