The Missing Piece

Just The Words

 

 

It was the moment, the ing moment, I swear to God.

When I looked into your eyes and you said I could trust you and that you'd love me forever.

That was the one that left me crying on the bathroom floor every damn night after you left.

 


 

 

She was tired. She dropped her bag on her bedroom floor and dragged her feet to her computer.

 

Today was Friday. Yong-sun rubbed her face with her hands, today was a tiring day indeed. Kicking off the slippers on her feet as she sat comfortably in front of the computer screen, she turned it on.

 

She looks for the app and clicks the call screen, Moonfart <3. Byul-yi’s equally tired face shows up, they were both in a mood where they didn't want to talk. “Hey.” Yong-sun greets first while rubbing an eye.

 

“Hey, you.” Byul-yi greets back. Noticing Byul-yi’s dark facial expression

 

“What's wrong?” Byul-yi seemed to think to her, contemplating whether she wanted to bring it up “It’s nothing.” And Yong-sun sat, thinking about if she really want to start an argument. It was always like this nowadays.

 

Them arguing.

 

“Tell me what's wrong.” She says in a half whine. It took a while until Byul-yi managed to find the courage to start “....Why didn’t you ever call me back earlier? Or even text back?” And Yong-sun tensed up, she purposely didn't reply back.

 

“Ah...I was busy earlier, I didn't have time.” And Byul-yi’s face darkened “You know we haven't been contacting each other as much anymore. Just one text would do.”

 

And Yong-sun knew they were going to start an argument again. “I've been studying recently.”

 

Byul-yi noticing her facial expressions and tone “Are you lying to me?” Caught. “Actually Byul-yi I need to tell you something, I-”

 

“Gosh Yong-sun I feel like I can't ever trust you anymore.” Ouch, that one hurt. Yong-sun furrowed her eyebrows at the accusation. getting caught. What was that supposed to mean?

 

“I was busy earlier, I don't know what you're getting this from.” Yong-sun said, her feet playing with each other. Byul-yi lets out a sign from frustration “Even if you were busy studying, you would have seen my message. You're always on your phone so I don't see why you couldn't text me back. Are you really even studying?” She has, she really has.

 

But it's true that she had been avoiding her girlfriend. “Yeah…” she says in a quiet voice.

 

She had been hiding a secret from the girl and Yong-sun had second thoughts on telling Byul-yi. Rolling her eyes, Byul-yi said “You are such a bad liar.” And Yong-sun was getting mad at Byul-yi for getting mad at her.

 

“I bet you were out with your friends again, huh?” Byul-yi never really got mad about her friends.

 

“And what if I was? I don't see how that has anything to do with this?” She spat back.

 

“Probably with that guy again.” Byul-yi said under her breath, a comment Yong-sun didn't fail to pick up. That was it. Yong-sun never hung out with any guy friends because of Byul-yi. It wasn't like she told her ‘hey I don't want you hanging out with ____’ but Yong-sun did it out of respect for her girlfriend. And for her to say something stupid like that?

 

 “You really want to know what I was doing?” Her voice getting higher with each word said. Byul-yi was surprised at the sudden change of tone, never had the two screamed at each other.

 

“I was taking my stupid drivers test. It was supposed to be a surprise…” Yong-sun’s voice suddenly cracked “But apparently I can't even be trusted do that by myself.” Yong-sun always hated herself for crying every time she was mad.

 

She didn't even let Byul-yi open before she had hit to end the call. Yong-sun hated this. Every call had ended with her crying and she wondered if it was just her being too emotional.

 

How could Byul-yi not trust her anymore? Yong-sun looked back at her screen, Byul-yi was trying to call her back.

 

But she didn't want to. Not right now.

 

She wanted to forget her problems right now, even if it was just for a second. Yong-sun got up from her seat, turning off her computer and headed towards her bed. She layed down and wiped her tears, her phone was blowing up.

 

It was always like this. Byul-yi throwing comments like that without being considerate of her feelings. And then trying to take it right back as if she didn't even say it 2 minutes ago. ‘I didn't mean it.’

 

But Yong-sun knew she did and that's what made her feel worse. She was crying again after thinking of all the wrongs.

 

Her phone buzzed, she got a message. Yong-sun picked up her phone not looking at the screen yet. She bit her lip wondering if she should look at the message. She clicked her lock button

 

‘I'm really sorry, Yeba. Please forgive me. I love you.’ And Yong-sun layed on her bed all night wondering if she should believe it or not.

 


< >


 

Ugh. It smelled so good in her house. She loved that her mom cooked every day, Naeun and herself weren't very good cookers. The two mainly relied on microwaved products if she were to be honest.

 

Yong-sun hears her mom talk to herself ‘Oh my, I think I made too much today.’ And that makes Yong-sun perk up from the couch. “Mom!” Her mom then pops her head out the kitchen door “Yes?”

 

“Is it okay if I invite someone over? I think Seul-”

 

“That is such a good idea!” Her mom interrupts her “You know your sister told me that Byul-yi was in town again. I'm sure she'd like to come over.” Her mom walks into the living room and looks for her personal phone book.

 

Yong-sun starts to panic “Y-you know I was actually thinking of invi-” “There it is.” Her mom grabs the phone book from one of the drawers 

 

“Byul-yi has the same number, right?” She looks at Yong-sun and Yong-sun knew there was no stopping her mom. Her mom practically see’s her ex girlfriend as family and nothing was going to change that.

 

“Right….” Her mom dials the number and waited a good five seconds until the other line picked up. “Hello? Ah yes is this Byul-yi? This is Yong-sun’s mom…..haha yeah it's nice to hear from you as well….mmmhh...yeah...well I actually called to invite you over for dinner….aish don’t be like that, work can wait for a good meal.”

 

Yong-sun gets up from the couch and walked to her mom. Not to be nosy but she wanted to hear what Byul-yi was saying.

 

Her mom shoos her away “Besides I'm sure Yong-sun misses you….” and Yong-sun tenses up, a cold sweat suddenly appearing. “Uh huh...yeah...just come over….yeah I'll see you soon, take care.” Her mom ends the phone call and throws her a thumbs up.

 

Yong-sun doesn't know why her legs suddenly felt like jelly and she let out a groan of frustration once her mom is back in the kitchen. She throws herself back on the couch and squirms in frustration, before slamming her face in a nearby pillow.

 

This was not good. Not good at all.

 

Time felt like it was going by so slow as she waited for Naeun to get out of the shower. But time went by even slower as she waited for Byul-yi to arrive at her house.

 

And then it hit her, did she even look presentable? She could not greet the girl looking like this. Yong-sun gets up and sprints to her room.

 

She bumps into Naeun who had a hairdryer in her hand “Woah there tiger slow down there.” And Yong-sun rushes to her closet. Confused “What are you doing?” But Naeun’s question enters one ear but exits the other just like that.

 

Yong-sun was too busy looking for a new shirt that she didn't even hear it. “Okay…” and with a shrug, Naeun doesn't care and heads towards the bathroom to blow dry her hair.

 

Yong-sun perks up with the sound of their door bell ringing.

 

She hurriedly looked through her clothes, there was not enough time. “Yong-sun, dinner is ready. Come out.” She hears her mom calling out. Naeun walked out of the restroom, her hair still half wet.

 

She rolls her eyes after seeing Yong-sun still struggling. She picks up a nice shirt and throws it at the girl “Here, just wear this. Hurry up, you’re mom is waiting on us.”

 

Naeun walks out her room and Yong-sun looks at the shirt in her hand. Her friend always did have good taste in fashion.

 

She switches out her shirt and looked at the mirror trying to smoothen her hair out.

 

This was no good.

 

She decides to put her hair in a sloppy bun because she doesn’t want to seem like she tried too hard to look good.

 

Yong-sun lets out a deep sigh before leaving her room and walked into the kitchen. Her eyes roams the kitchen dining table and she made eye contact with Byul-yi before averting it to look at her sister.

 

Her sister throws her a look and mouths ‘What the hell is she doing here?’ and Yong-sun gave her a shrug.

 

She sits next to Naeun who has a confused look on her face, muttering “Oh, she looks familiar?” to herself.

 

Her mom sets out the main dish in the middle and takes a seat by her dad, who looks pleased after seeing Byul-yi sitting at the table. “It’s nice to see you here again.” her dad says with a smile on his face, leaning back in her seat.

 

Byul-yi returns a polite smile “Thank you for inviting me over today, I’m sorry I didn’t come to visit you sooner.”

 

“Have you met Naeun yet?” Her mom says.

 

Byul-yi looks at Naeun and Naeun introduces herself with a hand raised “Hi my name is Naeun, I’m Yong-sun’s friend.” with a smile.

 

Byul-yi gives a slight bow with her head “My name is Byul-yi, I’m Yong-sun’s….” Byul-yi looks at Yong-sun “...friend.”

 

Naeun keeps a smile on her face “It’s nice to meet you.” she pats Yong-sun’s knee under the table.

 

“You know Byul-yi was Yong-sun’s best friend in high school, she used to come over all the time but now she’s too busy running the school that her and Yong-sun went to.” her mom chimes in.

 

“So Byul-yi how’s that going for you?” Her sister said grabbing a side dish for herself.  Byul-yi takes a sip from her water, a cough “The school? It’s a lot of work but it isn’t anything that I can’t handle. How have you’ve been, unnie?”

 

They hold a decent conversation with each other as they all continued to eat. Yong-sun goes on not even muttering a word to Byul-yi and Byul-yi sitting across from her not opening .

 

Byul-yi was always a quiet kid when they were younger so this kind of behavior wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. The two ignoring each other was going on successfully until her mom brings up another topic.

 

“Yong-sun is going back to the states soon, it’s a shame that the two of you couldn’t hang out together as much. She was gone for awhile and she’s already going back.” her mom shakes her head.

 

Byul-yi plays off a polite smile “It’s a shame indeed.” she looks at Yong-sun

 

“Your daughter has grown over the years, it’s nice to see her so successful. Yong-sun is a women now.” and Yong-sun doesn’t know why that last comment embarrassed her as much as it did. “She’s more beautiful than before, you must be very proud.” Byul-yi looks back and forth between the parents..

 

Yong-sun looks down at her lap, too shy to even pick up her head to look at the girl.

 

Byul-yi was always straight forward when talking. Naeun kicks her under the table and Yong-sun looked at her. The girl had a sly smile on her face and raised her eyebrows up and down. ‘Stop’ she mouthed her friend.

 

She totally did not need this right now. Yong-sun then looked at her sister who seemed to have a satisfied look on her face.

 

“She may look like a woman but she sure doesn’t act like one.” Naeun decided to join the conversation.

 

The table laughs while Byul-yi kept a small smile on her face. “She’s a big baby.” her father throws in.

 

When did this suddenly become a roast session? And why are they only roasting her?

 

So much time had passed and before anyone knew it dinner was all eaten. Her parents are at the door and not to be rude Yong-sun was there as well to send off Byul-yi. Her mom invited her for her anyway.

 

Byul-yi bows her head and says her goodbyes “Thank you for inviting me, the food is always great.” and Yong-sun rolls her eyes. What a kiss up.

 

“You should come more often, you know we miss you so much.” her parents bring Yong-sun closer to them “I’m sure Yong-sun missed you more.”

 




< >

 


 

Yong-sun’s shoulders drop after a hard day of book signing. Naeun puts a hand on her shoulder, gripping it. Yong-sun closes her eyes at the soft massage her friend was giving her “Ouch.” she hit a tense spot.

 

“Where do you want to go eat?” she ask. “I heard your mom is supposed to be making a lot of food tonight. Maybe we should just wait until then. I’d feel bad if I didn’t eat a lot.” Naeun says as Yong-sun gets up to stretch.

 

“Okay let’s head to car. It’s going to be a long couple of hours until we get back to Seoul.” this was going to be a long ride and Yong-sun was glad that she only had one more book signing to go.

 

Don’t get her wrong, she loved meeting her fans but these long trips around the country were really doing something to her body.

 

They get in the car with Yong-sun driving this time.  It was quiet in the car, nothing but the radio playing.

 

She was too tired to start a conversation but that didn’t stop Naeun. “You know, like I know it’s been a week already but I didn’t know you were into that type.” Yong-sun already knew who she was referring too.

 

“What do you mean?” She kept her focus on the road.

 

Naeun makes herself comfortable by leaning her seat back and propping her feet on the dashboard “I don’t know, she doesn’t really seem like the one to talk. She kept to herself and I just imagined you to be with someone who’s as loud as yourself. Was she always like this?”

 

Yong-sun lets out a hum “Yeah...she was always quiet around other people but she was comfortable around me.” and she shrugs.

 

“I’ll admit, she did get cuter and looks better than the pictures I used to see around the dorm.” Naeun casually says.

 

“I liked it better when her cheeks were fuller.” Yong-sun throws a comment.

 

“She probably feels the same way. You’ve definitely lost a lot of weight over time.” Naeun pinches her stomach and Yong-sun lets out a yelp followed up by a whine “Yah, I’m driving.”

 

Naeun then sits up “Hey Yong-sun.” and she hums again showing that she’s still listening. “Do you miss her?”

 

“No.”




< >


 

 

Yawn.

 

She was tired and wanted to go home but Naeun just had to get this snack she had been thinking about all week. Yong-sun looked at the time on her phone. It was like one in the morning and she wonders if her parents even notice that the two are gone.

 

Someone drops a bag of candy at her feet and Yong-sun bends down to pick it up. “I’m sorry I-” she hears the man let out an audible gasp once the two lock eyes.

 

Yong-sun jumps in surprise before showing a bright smile “Oppa, it’s been too long.”

 

Minhyuk grabs the bag out of her hand and attempted to hug the girl but his hands were too full. “How have you been?” he asked, still surprise to see girl here.

 

“I’ve been really good. How about you?” Yong-sun’s gaze then focuses on the items in his hands. She lets out a confused look, the items do not match at all.

 

And Minhyuk notices the stare “Ah I’ll probably give you a shock, like it’s really shocking.” he drags on, almost too afraid to even tell her. “Well you see, the past year I’ve been seeing this girl and I really love her. And well….” he bites his lip “..I kind of got her pregnant…” and Yong-sun didn’t try to hide the shock she had on her face.

 

He holds the items in his hands “She had cravings.” She blinks and wonders if he’s playing a joke on her.

 

Yong-sun lets out a dry cough “Oh...really…” she looks at him “And what did your dad think of this?”

 

Minhyuk lets out a laugh and she cringes, it must have been bad “He hates me even more. Something along the lines of me not being able to take care of myself. How am I supposed to take care of a baby.” he rolls his eyes “I think he’s just mad that I dropped out of college so early and I’m having a kid even though I’m not married yet.”

 

Yong-sun gives a pout “You must be having a hard time right now.”

 

“It’s not that bad, we’re currently living with her parents and they help us out a lot.” He must be having a hard time and Yong-sun feels sorry for him. She thinks out of the two siblings Minhyuk always had it harder. He was a kind boy and hardworking.

 

“Are you working right now?”

 

He nods and lets out a hum “I have a friend who’s family owns a chicken shop and they hired me. But I have a interview for a company that’s coming up and hopefully I get the job.”

 

Yong-sun raises her arms a bit, closing her fist “Fighting, oppa you can do it. I’ll be sending you good vibes.”

 

Minhyuk lets out another laugh “Good vibes? Are the Americans rubbing off on you?” Yong-sun playfully slaps his shoulder letting out a small laugh herself.

 

Her eyes then focuses on the items in his hands again, she pulls out her wallet. “Oppa.” she pulls out a couple of bills “I want you to have this.”

 

And he furrows his eyebrows in disapproval and shakes his head “I don’t want it, I’m doing fine.”

 

Yong-sun argues back “You’ve been good to me for a long time, this is the least I can do for you.” He shakes his head again. “ Oppa, I won’t be here for the baby shower you know. Think of this as an early present. Please.” and he lets out a sigh and takes it

 

“You’re too good to me Yong-sun. It’s no wonder Byul-yi loved you for so long.” and Yong-sun is surprised that he brought her up. No one really talked about their relationship in front of her.

 

“It’s a shame that the two of you broke up, I was really going for you guys.” Minhyuk lets out a tsk.

 

Yong-sun looks at her feet, suddenly feeling small in front of him “Yeah it was a shame.” she agrees.

 

“My sister was really devastated after you guys broke up. It was really hard on her.” and she forgot how much the boy liked to spill the beans. But what good would it do now? Nothing.

 

“Yeah she dropped a class that year and my dad was really angry at her. But she’s more independent now, she stands up for herself now.”

 

“That’s good, I’m really proud of her.”

 

He snaps his finger “She’s really proud of you too, she mentioned that your book sold really good-” a ringtone interrupts their conversation. Minhyuk lets out an embarrassed face as he looks at the caller I.D. “Ah I should probably get going now, my girlfriend gets really grumpy. It was really nice seeing you again Yong-sun. I really missed you, I hope we can meet again.” he says goodbye once Yong-sun says her likewise.

 

Naeun walks past Minhyuk with raised eyebrows “Who was that?”

 

“Just an old friend.”




< >

 

 

 

“Oh Yong-sun.” Naeun says at the sight of her best friend. Yong-sun layed in her bed, limp.

 

Naeun sits down on the bed and doesn’t know what to do. She wasn’t ever the one to get this sad after a breakup. But then again, she wasn’t ever this in love with someone.

 

“Hey.” she puts a hand on her “Do you want to go watch a movie? I’ll make you some food if you want or maybe we can just order something.”

 

Yong-sun gets up and Naeun winces at her tear stained face. Her friend was a mess. The two make their way to the living room and get comfortable.

 

Somewhere along the way she knows Yong-sun is crying again. She pretends she doesn’t notice it, Yong-sun always did get embarrassed.

 

Naeun knows the two will get back together soon, they always did. Or at least she hoped they would.




< >

 

 

Yong-sun is freezing as she walks through the coffee shop door. She wore thicker clothes this time but that didn’t stop her from being so cold.

 

Her gaze locked on Byul-yi’s and she pointed at the counter. She was going to order before sitting down. What should she get? Her eyes roam the menu before finally giving in to ordering a caramel hot chocolate.

 

She waits for her order before grabbing a seat in front of Byul-yi. “Hi.” she greets the girl, who greeted her back with a smile on her face.

 

Yong-sun looks at Byul-yi cup and raised an eyebrow at the smell “Did you get coffee?” Byul-yi gives a sheepish smile “Yeah I didn’t know what to get.”

 

“I thought you didn’t like coffee.”

 

“I don’t and I regret choosing it.” and Yong-sun laughs. She knows that Byul-yi doesn’t like bitter things, which is why she could never take her medicine. They talk more and Yong-sun is grateful that they were more comfortable around each other.

 

Gosh Byul-yi has gotten more cuter, she hates to admit that. “I saw your brother the other day.”

 

“Really? He didn’t mention it to me.” Byul-yi takes a sip from her coffee.

 

“Yeah and I heard the big news. I’m glad he met a girl.” Byul-yi nods her head “Yeah, she’s a really nice girl.” they continue to talk about her brother.

 

Yong-sun begins to think about the other conversation shared between her and Minhyuk. It would be a secret shared between the two.

 

They failed to see how much time had passed as they talked. It wasn’t until Byul-yi takes another sip of her hardly touch coffee to notice that it had gotten cold “Ah I should go and order more.”

 

“Don’t, I have to go anyway,” her mom was expecting her home soon.

 

The two get up and head towards the door and Byul-yi stops in her place, it didn’t take a genius to look at her and see that she was contemplating. She takes a hold of her scarf and wraps it around Yong-sun’s neck

 

“It’s cold and you still have that stupid red nose.”  

 

 

 

 



 

So cute! And what? I actually updated? It must be a miracle lol

So much has happened over the years for them that even I can’t keep up. Minhyuk keeps spilling stuff about Byul-yi, does he ever keep quiet lol

(btw two scenes are from the past just to avoid any confusion)

Look at moonsun’s progress slow but fast. Let me know what you guys think!