The Heart's Failed Disguise

Just The Words

 

 

This. 

This is what happens when you talk like a stranger to the person you once loved.

 


 

 

 

Yong-sun hadn't realize how much time had past until reality had basically thrown itself in front of her face.

 

She sat across her father, who her friends always commented how young he looked, and couldn't help but notice how sickly he had looked. The bags that were evident under his eyes and his pale skin that seemed too unhealthy for Yong-sun's liking.

 

She got up from her seat and stood behind her father, both hands on his shoulders “Dad.”

 

Her dad hummed in response, his eyes never leaving the newspaper he was reading. “I want you to stop working.” Yong-sun massaged his shoulders gently, they were so tense.

 

Her father let out a chuckle “And what, you're going to take care of me now?” and let down his newspaper, one hand landing on top of Yong-sun's “You know I still feel useful, Yong-sun. I'm not too old where I can't take care of this family.”

 

“And I'm saying not only you has to take care of our family, you don't have to do it on your own.” Yong-sun said leaning in giving her father a hug.

 

He nods his head understanding where his daughter is getting at “I still have a couple of years, let me do at least this much Yong-sun, mmmm…?” Yong-sun gives a pat on his shoulders before finally giving in to her father's request.

 

“I’m going to go to my room then heading out, do you need anything while I'm out?” with a shake of his head Yong-sun heads towards her room.

 

She doesn't actually have any plans on where exactly she is going but she knows Naeun is probably bored out of her mind. She goes into the room and saw Naeun plopped herself right in front of her computer.

 

“Hey do you want to go out? We can go to into town or something. They have shopping stores and even a food market. Sounds like a good plan?” Yong-sun said grabbing a hoodie from her closet.

 

Naeun gave a thumbs up “Okay, just give me a sec and I'll be ready.” Yong-sun paused for a sec “It's been a second, are you ready now?”

 

Naeun made a face “You at jokes.” Yong-sun gave a short laugh “Yeah yeah and you at getting ready, now hurry up.” and threw whatever was on her bed.  

 

It took Naeun around twenty minutes, which Yong-sun thought was too long, to finally get finished.

 

They decided to go by bus since Yong-sun knew would probably go faster due to traffic and there was no way they would be able to get a parking spot if they brought their company car.

 

And it was moments like this that reality had once again slapped itself on Yong-sun's face again, she didn't recognize any of these new buildings that kept passing as they went further into the bus ride.

 

Just how long had she been away for? The time went faster as Yong-sun began pointing out places to her best friend that she did remember “Yeah I used hang out all the time there.”

 

“Is the ice cream any good there?” Naeun asked looking at the small ice cream shop.

 

“What do you mean? All ice creams taste the same.” After bickering with each other for a good six minutes they finally reached their destination. Naeun looked around still amazed even though she has been here before, something like the air is different than the air in the states.

 

“Why don't we come in here?” Yong-sun dragged Naeun into one of the stores.

 

The two looked around the store, arms crossed with each other. Naeun pointed out a sale they were having and they both walked towards the section. Not bad.

 

Yong-sun didn't know how much her sense of style changed ever since she went to the states. A different taste of fashion trends was obvious between the two countries.

 

She detached herself from her friend and looked between the racks. They would probably be here long considering Naeun actually looked like she might buy the whole sale rack.

 



< >
 

 

 

“Calm down….everything is going to be great….oh gosh I feel like I'm going to throw up.” Yong-sun nervously sat in the restaurant, her tapping on the table not going anywhere.

 

After awkwardly exchanging numbers from last time they decided to meet up. It was awkward indeed.

 

Yong-sun had changed numbers, after staying in the U.S. for that long she decided it was better to just go ahead and change phone plans, along with a new number that came with it.

 

“Ah, you changed your number.” Byul-yi muttered but it was loud enough for her to hear. Byul-yi had pulled out her phone “I’m pretty sure you don't remember my number.”

 

But the thing was Yong-sun did remember it, it was like it was imprinted in her brain. But of course she didn't want the girl to know that. Yong-sun pulled out her phone and they begun to exchange their numbers.

 

Byul-yi let out a small smile, once Yong-sun sent her a message on the spot.

 

Yong-sun sat, thinking of backing out. This was going to be more awkward than the first time they sat and talked at the book store.

 

She blew out some hot air and she saw Byul-yi walk into the restaurant. The girl talked to the host and the host pointed towards her direction. Yong-sun quickly diverted her attention to the menu, hoping she wasn't caught already staring.

 

Byul-yi walked towards her and Yong-sun was more nervous than before. Stop beating so hard, she held a hand against her chest.

 

“Hey sorry I'm late.” Byul-yi sat down with a straight face “There was paperwork that needed to be done by today.”

 

Yong-sun looked at the time on her phone. She wasn't that late “It's okay, I got here not too long ago.” Yong-sun didn't know why she felt the need to lie, in fact she got here six minutes before they were supposed to meet.

 

Byul-yi nodded and she grabbed the menu, her eyes scanned it “Did you already order?” There was no change in her tone.

 

“No, I wanted to wait until you had arrived.”

 

“Oh I'm sorry. You should have just ordered without me.” Byul-yi apologized again. Soon a waitress arrived and took their order. There was a short silence after she had left it was soon followed up with a cough made by Byul-yi.

 

Damn, this is awkward and Yong-sun regretted ever agreeing to meeting up. “So..” she began “I never actually got to ask how you've been.”

 

“I've just been around, here and there. I didn't really do anything exciting over the years.” Byul-yi said “But I did go to Europe for the rest of my college years.”

 

Yong-sun already knew this, but did Byul-yi know that she knew? She acted like it was the first time she heard of such news “Oh really? Why did you decide to transfer?”

 

“My father…” Byul-yi thought on how she wanted to word this “..he wanted me to study differently? That came out weird. He didn't like my school and pictured something different for me so he wanted me to continue my education elsewhere.” She ended. “But I see things worked out good for you.” Byul-yi played with her straw.

 

Yong-sun sat up on her seat, her posture had always been horrible. “Mmmm….yeah things are going great right now. I think I might have raised up enough to settle down somewhere and continue to write in my own home.” And Yong-sun hoped she didn't come off as arrogant, she didn't want to sound like she was bragging about how much money she made.

 

Byul-yi nodded her head “You know...Yong-sun…” and she didn't know why she was worried on what Byul-yi’s next words would be “....I don't think I ever told you that I'm proud of how far you've come…” that stung her heart more it should have.

 

Yong-sun gave her a smile and Byul-yi let out a small laugh that made Yong-sun wonder what was so funny.

 

“Why are you laughing?” And embarrassed that she got caught Byul-yi holds in a shy smile, a hand over as she said “I just thought that, I know so many years have gone by but you're still as pretty since the last time I've seen you.”

 

The younger girl still knew what words to use to torture her and Yong-sun thought she was being too cruel.

 

She opened but the waitress interrupted with a tray in her hand. The waitress sets out the plates and with a smile she tells them to enjoy the food.

 

Yong-sun doesn't think either one said a word as they ate and she thanks God that she had food to at least avoid the awkwardness.

 

She picks her head up from eating and she looked at Byul-yi.

 

She knows she mentioned it before but the girl really did change so much over the years. She was skinnier, too skinny for her liking. Her fashion changed as well, she dressed up more and it looked good on her. Her personality changed a bit too.

 

And Yong-sun hated it, she hated that so much had changed while she was gone. Her city change. Her priorities changed. Her friends changed. The person she once held so close to her had changed.

 

And worst of all, she changed.




< >

 

 

Yong-sun was pretty sure that her two friends were crazy. She doesn't understand why they're even at the ice cream shop that she used to go to when she was younger.

 

Naeun had mentioned going to it and Seulgi quickly agreed to it, Seulgi had been craving ice cream for a while. But it basically winter so Yong-sun didn't want it honestly. 2-1 wasn't an advantage for her today.

 

She got her usual and sat beside Naeun in a booth while Seulgi sat across. “You know I've heard so much things about you from Yong-sun.” Naeun said after taking a .

 

Seulgi squinted her eyes at Yong-sun “Don't believe her, I’m innocent.”

 

Naeun pursed her lips “Oh really? Because she said really good things about you.” Her ice cream was already melting.

 

“In that case, unnie is the best.” And two thumbs up from Seulgi.

 

Yong-sun playing rolled her eyes and then she took a . Naeun noticed Yong-sun’s hair was sticking to the side of her ice cream so she took it off. “You're such a kid, honestly.” Naeun muttered with a smile.

 

“But you love me anyways, right?” Yong-sun elbowed her with a cheeky smile back.

 

“Mmmm...I guess you're right.” Naeun said. Seulgi watched as the two interacted, her eyes never leaving the two.

 

They all continued to eat their ice cream until Naeun decided to get up “Hey which way is the restroom?” Yong-sun pointed behind Seulgi “It should be right there. The door is on the right. That's if it's still there.” Yong-sun shrugged that last part.

 

“Here hold this for me real quick.” She handed Yong-sun her ice cream cone. Yong-sun got up and quickly let the girl pass her as she took the cone from the girl.

 

Yong-sun looked at the girl making sure she was going the right way. “Unnie.” Her attention then went to Seulgi as she started biting the side of her cone. “You should speak truthfully to me….” what was she going to ask?

 

“Are you and Naeun unnie….you know...?” Confused on what the younger was asking, Yong-sun tilted her head and furrowed her eyebrows “What do you mean?”

 

Frustrated with the older “You know…” and she made two piece signs and overlapped them “...dating?” Oh my gosh, Seulgi was scissoring her fingers “Or you know…at least doing the dirty?”

 

Yong-sun thought she was going to laugh and she held an ‘x’ sign with her arms “Why do you think that?”

 

“Well I don't know, you guys just seem really close.” Embarrassed that she asked “Gosh unnie! You act like I'm supposed to know when I see lesbians or something!” Her face getting red.

 

Yong-sun’s eyes switched to Naeun, who barely got out of the restroom. Yong-sun rolled her eyes playfully and nodded her head to her direction. “Look at her, even when she's in a different country she manages herself to get some type of number.”

 

Seulgi turned her head to see Naeun flirting with a boy. “She always does this thing with her leg when she's flirting with someone. She claims she doesn't do it but Seul you're my witness, okay?”

 

Yong-sun gave a light chuckle “Do you see how she bends her left leg and her hand goes back pocket?” Seulgi nodded her head “Well that's the thing!” Yong-sun then looked at Seulgi who faced her as well.

 

“That unnie is really funny.” Seulgi shakes her head with a smile. They continued to eat until Naeun came back with a paper in her hand.

 

Yong-sun slid farther in the booth to make room for her. “Korean boys here are more shy.”

 

“Wow, Naeun unnie you’re so brave.” Seulgi was impressed actually. She didn't have the guts to introduce herself to a boy like that and actually succeed.

 

Yong-sun let out a ‘pftt’ sound “What are you talking about, in school you were the same way.”

 

Seulgi lifted her index finger, shaking it “No the difference is I only talked about boys. I never actually did anything.”

 

“Yeah but that's because you were too big of a chicken back then.” Offended, Seulgi let out a gasp “That's not true!” And Yong-sun let out a laugh at the girl. She was getting so heated.

 

She bit the side “So whatever happened to that? I remember you being so boy crazy back then.” What changed?

 

Seulgi calmed down a bit and shrugged her shoulders “Mmmm...I guess...I matured over the past years. School was almost over at the time so I needed to get serious about that. I had to plan something else over than a love life, you know. Love isn't going to pay the bills! Besides ever since you left I wasn't interested in dating.”

 

What was that supposed to mean? Noticing her questioning face Seulgi continued on “ Unnie did you know that Yong-sun was a player?” She ‘whispered’ to Naeun.

 

“I was not!” Yong-sun knew the younger was getting her back.

 

Naeun looked at Yong-sun “Tsk..tsk..tsk..tsk...I didn't know you were this type of girl. I'm shocked.” They continued to talk about their high school days. Yong-sun was glad that Naeun and Seulgi seemed to get along well. But as the conversation grew, there was one thing that seemed to bother Yong-sun.

 

Seulgi always avoided talking about one subject or better yet one person, Byul-yi.




< >

 

 

 

‘Nudles, the shop beside the Bookstore.’ Yong-sun read the text message sent from her sister.

 

Apparently it was a really good noodle shop that Yong-sun just needed to try. Or at least that's what her sister said. She put her phone away and continued to walk on the sidewalk.

 

She passed by a lot of other shops. It was colder than the last time she went out, winter was finally about to settle in.

 

Yong-sun blew hot air in her hands, hoping to warm them up. She knew she would regret not wearing a thicker coat. ‘I'm a fashionista’ she remembers telling Naeun who warned her before going out.

 

She pulled her coat closer together and stopped walking once she spotted a familiar figure.

 

She hadn't talked to the girl ever since the last time they awkwardly hung out. The girl seemed to notice her too as she stood still looking at the girl.

 

Well the girl already saw her too so there was no point in walking the other way. Yong-sun manage to build up enough courage to walk in that direction.

 

“Ah funny seeing you here.” Yong-sun said once she reached the girl, she stuck her hands in her pockets.

 

Byul-yi held a small bag up “Yeah, my mom has a cold. So I came to buy her some medicine.” Yong-sun looked at Byul-y’s appearance.

 

She was dressed for the weather and Yong-sun doesn't know why she suddenly felt insecure about how she was dressed. ‘Should have worn more clothing, I probably look stupid’

 

Byul-yi wore her signature scarf look and it made Yong-sun think of time the girl had given her the scarf. She doesn't think she has the scarf anymore and she wonders whatever happened to that.

 

“Which way are you headed?” Byul-yi ask. Yong-sun points in the direction that she's going. “I'm heading that way….” Byul-yi points to the opposite direction. “I guess I'll see you later?” Yong-sun nods slowly

 

“Yeah, definitely.” They part ways and the same thought runs through her head. ‘You're right, I don't know you anymore.’


 

 

 


 

It feels so awkard writing you guys lol this is who this chapter is dedicated to....you guys lmao

I missed writing this story and I always thought about coming back...but I just didn't have the motivation to until now

do you guys ever have that one friend that everyone thinks you're dating or that you should date? Well that's Naeun in this story!

thank you to all who have stuck with this story even tho its literally been a year since I last updated smh

 

will i ever update again? Lol who knows 

but let me know what you guys think!

 

p.s. I have another moonsun fanfic im writing rn so go check that out please!