A slow beginning

It's not so different after all

 

(Flashback)

 

She was having the time of her life. It never occurred to her that interacting with so many guys could actually be this fun. Time flew by during filming and she found herself hanging out with her male co-stars between takes and after work. They played pranks on each other and teased Wu Chun about his more than healthy appetite and his mispronunciation of Chinese words. Wu Chun and her had so many scenes together that she had grown used to having him around, rehearsing with him and just talking through scenes together. Slowly they had become pals, especially after their infamous kissing scene. Ella never had an issue with her co-stars, male or female but Wu Chun definitely warmed up to her.

 

It was easy for Ella to be one of the guys. She wasn’t fragile and prim so they never had to worry about watching their language around her. Whenever they engaged in horseplay, it was alright to be rough with her. They play boxed and chased each other around the set, like a bunch of kindergarteners. Ella felt free to be herself in their company. On occasion, she actually did feel like Rui Xi.

 

When she spotted Jiro sitting alone in the corner, she ambled over. Since their first encounter, she had tried to keep her distance away from Jiro just in case. When you spent so much time on set with someone, especially when you were supposed to act like you are in love, it could be quite easy to develop infatuations. This always happened to her, though she never did acted on it because she made it a point to keep whatever feelings she felt during filming in the drama. But it didn’t help that of course her co-stars were always hunkaburningloves. However, Jiro was just so sweet and so was his alter ego Xiu Yi that Ella found it very difficult not to want to get to know him better.

 

“Da Dong. What’s up?”

 

“Hey. Nothing, just resting before we start again.” He looked distinctly pale under his makeup.

 

“Hey, are you sure you are alright, you look under the weather.” Besides filming the drama, the poor boy had more obligations than another else on set and Ella could tell that he was exhausted. His eye bags could be seen from miles away.

 

Before he could answer that, his head swerved a little before he snapped back to attention. He was definitely not well. She also behaved the same when she didn’t have enough rest and was toiling away. Leaning a little towards the man to pat his arm, he was warm to her touch.

 

“Mr Wang, you are burning up.” She spoke sternly.

 

His voice broke a little. “I’m fine. Anyway I have to look listless in the later scene. It all works out.” He said, attempting a joke.

 

A little seed of sadness sprouted in her heart. She had learnt about Jiro’s background. How difficult and hard it must have been to take over the responsibility of a household before you came of age. Some people had the luxury of having everything dropped onto their lap though not him. Behind his sick appearance, Ella saw the drive and determination that he possessed. His perseverance paid off with every bit of his fame and he wasn’t one to take anything for granted. He was only young once and if he had the chance to do something, whether it was to improve his career or make a bit difference in the world, he was going to do it, nevermind that he only had twenty four hours in a day.

 

From everything she had heard and knew about her new friend, she respected him. She could tell he had lived years beyond his twenty five years. But however strong was his drive, there was a limit to it.

 

“I’m going to tell the director to shoot another scene and that you have to rest today.” She had a habit of mothering her friends and co-workers.

 

“Ella, no!” Grabbing her hand, he pleaded with her. “It’s just one scene. Then I will rest.”

 

He looked so pitiful that her heart melted. Sighing, she agreed but added. “If you are not better tomorrow, I’m going straight to him.”

 

Jiro smiled at her, grateful. Ella blushed when she realised that he was still holding on to her hand. Gently, she shrugged him away and stood up. “I’m going to get some food.”

 

Later that night, Ella whistled as she walked along the corridor of the hotel where they were putting up. Toting the soup that she had brewed that afternoon in her room, yes she was actually quite domesticated if she wanted to when it came to household matters. Filming that day had been quite a breeze and they had gone for dinner at off the radar restaurant that served this stewed pork dish that currently rocked her world.

 

Knocking on door, she waited. Gosh she could still taste the pork on her teeth. Wu Chun had practically inhaled his plate.

 

Danson’s head popped from behind the door.

 

“Hi!”

 

“Ella!” They had just gone for dinner together so Danson was surprised to see her again. “What are you doing here?”

 

Ella looked at him with slit eyes. “Why are you so shy, Danny boy? Why are you hiding away?” She teased. “What are you and Da Dong up to?”

 

He came out to the corridor, revealing his bare upper torso and just his track bottoms, gently closing the door behind him. “Sshhh. Jiro’s still sleeping.”

 

“Finally. How long hasn’t he slept, a week?” She took another look at his chest. “Are you sure he’s just sleeping?”

 

“No idea,” Danson shrugged. “But it’s good that he can get some rest.”

 

“You guys are so gay. Ok, here’s some soup. Ask him to drink it when he does wake up.” She passed him the thermal pot carefully. “I’m going to bed.”

 

 

(Present day)

 

She was dressed in straight cut jeans and a loose top. She had scheduled to get all the administrative stuff she needed for New York done today. Hebe hasn’t given her a call either yet. She had just released her own solo album under her Chinese name and had been doing the same rounds of promotion required.

 

Her knees were restless. Shaking to the rhythm of the radio playing in the background, she couldn’t concentrate. She put the notebook computer to sleep and closed its cover. It was a terrible feeling to have, she was worried about Selina and yet, her heart was preoccupied with Jiro. Would things be easier if she was just an ordinary girl? Or if he was just another boy? But how could Jiro Wang be just another boy? Everything about him was destined for superstardom, with his gorgeous face and cut body. As for her, she could be easily passed by on the road. She was afterall a plain Jane.

 

Sighing resignedly, she picked up her mobile phone and pressed a few buttons. A few rings and the call was through.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Danny boy, you busy?”

 

Danson laughed. Only one person in the world called him that. He was getting his hair and makeup done before appearing for a variety show.

 

“Da Dong’s angry with you again? How could that be? He cancelled our gym date yesterday. And there’s only one reason why he would dump me.”

 

Danson and Jiro were best buds. Whenever they were filming the same drama, they would be roommates. In fact, they were cast as love rivals in Rolling Love. They spent a lot of time hanging out in private and something hilarious was always bound to happen whenever these two were together. Danson was one of the few people who also knew that Jiro and Ella were an item.

 

“Danson, you totally read my mind.”

 

He chuckled as the makeup artists applied foundation on his nose. “Miss Ella, you only call me when you need my help.”

 

He could hear Ella laugh at the other end. “What can I say, you know me really well. So what should I do?”

 

“What’s he mad with this time round?”

 

“What he has been angry with the last few months.”

 

The makeup artist signaled for him to put down the phone so she could finish up but Danson put up his hand to tell her to hold on. He couldn’t put Ella on speakerphone in case.

 

“Jerry again?” Hissing into the phone, he covered his mouth with his hand. I really need to give that stupid boy a good talking to, he thought to himself.

 

“Plus, I’m going to New York to study for a while.”

 

“Really? How cool! Can we visit?’

 

“Haha, always welcome.”

 

“Is that soon? Wait that means you can’t go to Greece with us.”

 

“Greece?” Elle couldn’t mask the surprise in her voice.

 

Danson picked it out too. “Hmmm,” Thinking quick, he tried to change the subject. “His clothes. MJO….”

 

Ella had always been the supportive girlfriend. Every endeavour that Jiro undertook, she was behind him 100 percent. Like the 100 copies of his book Van Gogh and Me that she had purchased and given to her friends and relatives. She didn’t tell him but she had recorded every episode of Super King that he hosted.

 

Jiro may be too busy to notice but Danson could see Ella’s attempts in trying to put Jiro first. Which was difficult to do since Ella had her own career.

 

Ella’s mind was whirling at full speed too. “How about…”

 

Danson had to give her the thumbs up, her suggestion was spot on. Hopefully, it was just the thing needed to smooth this rough patch over.