Alone for the moment

It's not so different after all

Stomping her feet, Ella wished she had worn boots that day. She couldn’t wait to get home where she would crank up the heater a little even though by the natural laws of nature, October shouldn’t be that cold yet. The night had ended as pleasantly as time spent with one of her best friends could be. Hebe wasn’t one to open up easily but when she did, she stayed a faithful friend. Ella had to admit that she was still adjusting to not seeing Hebe and Selina everyday, the routine they had established all these years had been comforting to her, the sentimental fool. Selina was ditzy and sometimes childlike. Hebe was astute. Girls everywhere could relate to their different personalities, a reason why they were such a success story.

 

Feeling calmer after the heart to heart talk she had with Hebe, her perspective on what was happening currently was clearer. Besides Hebe had peppered their conversation with titbits about New York. Selina and Hebe had holidayed in the American city this year. Ella couldn’t join them previously due to work commitments. The duo had done the ground work for their friend, documenting their trip with hundreds of text messages with photos snapped with their phones and as a result tormented their absent friend.

 

Apparently the temperatures would be nearer to sub zero during the time she was scheduled to be in New York. She wasn’t looking forward to that. Like her personality, she adored summer and the luxury to run around without having to pile on the layers. The short days of winter rendered her grumpy. The hot water bottle would be her best friend there, she guessed.

 

The elevator doors opened. Jiro stood before her. With a MJO trucker cap perched on his head covering an eye, hands tucked into harem pants and a pair of one of his hundred high top sneakers, he must have come straight from a work engagement.

 

“Where were you?”

 

“Dinner with Hebe. Wang Dong Cheng, you should have called me.” She had not received any call nor text message from him for the whole day and thought that even with the air ticket she had offered as an olive branch, the cold war between them was still in process.

 

“What and spoil my surprise?”

 

Ella stepped out of the lift and into Jiro’s embrace. She was relieved that he seemed to have put that morning’s disagreement behind him. She had underestimated how jealous Jiro could be. He didn’t have the same problem with Wu Chun previously. Hopefully the episode with Jerry was over finally. During her discussion with Hebe, they had agreed that her trip to New York was a blessing in disguise. It had reinforced the fact that it would give them the space that they needed to discover where their relationship was heading. Though of course she wanted to leave Taipei on a good note and to have her boyfriend back to his normal self.  

 

“Dong dong, what do you have for me?” Looking up at him, she grinned. Jiro had been ultra busy this year, especially now with his new clothing line that it was a treat for her to have him visit her twice in two days.

 

He revealed two packets of food. “Duck tongue and your favourite pork balls.” She sniffed at the paper bags. “Well, I was hungry waiting for you so I ate some. But I did leave some for you of course.”

 

The magical thing about Ella was she was still a very simple girl at heart and the tiniest things wowed her. And she adored her food. Jiro didn’t have to wine and dine her at the classiest restaurants. If he could, he would bring her to a different roadside stall every day and she would be the happiest girl on earth. The second best thing to that was to order in or takeaway the local food.

 

“Oh my god! You went to the night market just for me?” She asked, slotting her keys into the main door.

 

Jiro laughed sheepishly. “Xiao Ling bought for me.” He admitted. In another time and place, he would personally go to the Shilin market to purchase Ella’s preferred snacks. Well, in another time and place, he would be able to proudly parade down any public road with Ella on his arm like any other couple. He wanted that as much as he knew Ella did. Was that price too much to pay for fame? But he had come all this way and worked so hard, he couldn’t give up now.

 

“It’s ok, it’s the thought that counts.”

 

As they entered the apartment, Cookie caught a whiff of the fried food and barked at Jiro, refusing to let him get away without being rewarded with a treat. He was prepared that night and from a small packet that he pulled from his pocket, Jiro fed the dog a biscuit. Ella dropped her bag on the sofa and went to her room to change. “Dong Dong, please turn on the heater.”

 

“Good boy.” He patted Cookie. Placing the food on the bar counter, out of reach of the dog, he shrugged off the jacket and made himself comfortable. Jiro still lived with his mother so Ella’s apartment had been their haven for tete-a-tetes. He was as comfortable here as he was at his own home.

 

Sinking into the sofa, Danson’s voice was still playing in his head. When Jiro showed up at the gym hours ago, Danson had given him a stern talking to. “What the hell are you still doing here? Don’t you have somewhere else you need to be?”

 

Danson was only suitably placated after Jiro had explained that he had sent his assistant to the night market in a bid to get back into Ella’s good books. “Now Da Dong, I don’t care how jealous you are about Jerry. You are right, that man is a god. And Ella’s not blind that. If you keep on pushing her away, you are going to push her into his arms. And when that happens my friend, nothing, nothing in the world is going to help you.” This warning was a wake up call for Jiro.

 

He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t notice Ella return. “Hello Mr Wang. Didn’t I just tell you to go turn on the heater? It’s still so cold!” Ella stood akimbo, the long sleeves covering her hands too.

 

Dressed an oversized wooly jumper and nothing else, her legs looked remarkably long. He recalled something that Calvin had told them. Wu Chun and Calvin had been the stars of two of their Super Hot album songs’ music videos. It was Jiro and Aaron’s turn to slack this time. In y Girl, Calvin was prepositioned by a model and he had revealed that nothing got to him like a girl wearing nothing but his shirt. 

 

They had been arguing for so long that Jiro had lost sight how just how alluring Ella could be. Even in her normal oversized garb that she wore at home. “Come here, I’ll warm you up.” He said with an eyebrow raised.

 

With a knowing look, Ella sat down next to him. Snuggling up, she laid her head on his shoulder. “I will miss you.”

 

“I will visit.” Jiro kissed her on top of her head. “Thank you for the ticket. I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you yet about Greece.”

 

“Nothing to it. You need some time off.”

 

Jiro was thankful for Ella, he couldn’t have found a more understanding girlfriend.

 

“Though Da Dong, I really hope that you can get more rest. Your schedule is crazy packed.”

 

“I’m here now no?” He mumbled, nuzzling her neck.

 

Closing her eyes, she relaxed. “It’s not me, it’s your health I’m worried about.” Though he wasn’t injury prone, he often felt ill. He had lost his voice more than once since the beginning of his career. Lack of sleep, overworked to the point of exhaustion, crappy diet, Jiro’s body wasn’t as strong as it looked.

 

“Why are you always worrying about me?” Jiro asked, hoping she would answer with what he wanted to hear.

 

Ella kissed him on the lips. “Because you mean more to me than anything.”

 

He accepted that reason though he wanted to hear something else. Everything, including Jerry seemed a lifetime away when she was in his arms like this. “Let’s not waste tonight.”

 

Ella knew what he implied and she giggled. He continued, whispering in her ear. “I want you now. It’s been far too long.”

 

Lying down on the length of the sofa, she looked at the only man in the world who could turn her on like that, wishing time could just stand still.