Breaking News

It's not so different after all

 

Speeding on the highway at more than 100 km per hour, he willed his motorcycle to go faster. These two wheels were his prized possession and on any ordinary day, nothing pleased him more than being able to ride at top speed, feeling the wind rush against his body. The adrenaline usually chased the tiredness that he constantly felt. On his bike, he felt as free as a bird. But tonight, this sensation was lost as there was only one thing on his mind. To get to her as soon as he could.

 

They had heard the news straight after their press event. Their fans had thronged to the carpark straightaway after the meet and greet. Always displaying true professionalism, the four smiled and waved to their supporters as they made their getaway through the crowd. As they finally reached the cool confines of their company’s mini bus, the four gave each other a pat on the back for a job well done. They were still high from the energy from the event and were bouncing off their seats as always.

 

Instead of the usual grin he usually greeted them with, Minghui their manager had sobering news for them. “Selina was hurt in an explosion.”

 

Aaron sank into the cushion as he absorbed the news. “What do you mean hurt?”

 

“It was an accident?” Calvin asked from his usual place in the back. He untangled the scarf that was knotted around his neck.

 

“From what we understand, she was burnt but we don’t have exact details from Shanghai yet.” Minghui was solemn.

 

“That’s .” Wu Chun echoed what the rest of the guys were thinking. “To be burnt is scary .”

 

He turned to the back to face Jiro and Calvin. “I wonder how the other two are coping with the news.” He referred to Hebe and Ella. Their seniors were remarkably close, their relationship rivaled biological sisters. He never failed to marvel at their friendship whenever they got together. It was pretty difficult to find a true friend in the entertainment industry.

 

Reaching a hand around Jiro’s shoulder, Calvin gave him a pat. “You should check on her.” Jiro nodded.

 

The assistant passed him his mobile phone. He flipped a button, deactivating the silent mode. There was a message from Danson. Bad news spread faster than wild fire. All their peers would have been informed of what happened by then, the entertainment news were sometimes more timely than actual real world news. Minghui explained more to them but his voice became a murmur in Jiro’s head.

 

And things have been a blur around him since that afternoon. Back at the company, where they were given their schedules and activities for the rest of the week, he had just given the perfunctory responses. His eye was glued to the clock and his mind on when the day’s work would have ended and he could dash off to where he should be. By her side.

 

Finally, his motorcycle exited the expressway with a quick swerve to the right. As he raced along the familiar dark streets, his heart raced as it normally did with anticipation. The condominium’s security guard saw the motorcycle from a distance and lifted the barrier. Like at every condominium, visitors had to be put through the usual checks before they were allowed in. But one of the residents had given a list of license plate numbers, requesting that these vehicles were let into the premises without having to go through the checks. And this motorcycle’s license plate was on that list. So the security guard on duty waved the vehicle through without having to stop at the guard post. Hence, the guards had never seen the face of the helmeted rider before.

 

Before the motorcycle came to a full stop, Jiro jumped off, whipping his helmet off. His long legs sprinted to the lobby and into the elevator that so happened to be on waiting at the ground floor. The top button was pressed and he paced up and down the small elevator

space. Please be back, he pleaded in his head.

 

‘Ding!’ The elevator’s door opened and he rushed out. He knocked on the door and pressed the doorbell concurrently. “Please be in, please be in.” He repeated to himself in a low voice.

 

The door opened a crack. With a push, his motorcycle boots stepped in. Standing just a little behind the front door, she looked at him mutely with her red eyes. She must have been crying.

 

The last time he saw her in person must have been more than a month ago. Damn their conflicting schedules. His heart ached at the sight of her, clenching tissue in her hand. With one quick movement, he had her in his arms. She was shivering. Holding her tightly, he put his head close to her hair.

 

“Hush, hush, it’s ok.” His voice breaking slightly. “I’m here now. Ella, Hua Hua, I’m here with you now. It’s ok now. I’m here with you now.”