The morning after

It's not so different after all

She danced around the kitchen as the aroma of coffee filled the place. It was seven in the morning. Though she had only gotten barely 3 hours of sleep last night, it had been quite restful. Must have been the combination of being exhausted from all that crying and Jiro’s presence. The coffee machine stopped whirling with a beep. Jiro’s espresso was ready.

 

A text message had woken her up. Hebe and herself were scheduled to be at the hospital where Selina would be sent to once she and her entourage touched down at the airport. Honestly, all she wanted was to be able to see to her good friend and just show moral support in private without any flashlights but that was the price to pay for the work they did. Though she did feel much better today, after a day and reassurances that Selina was going to be safe.

 

The Nespresso machine had been bought solely for the benefit for Jiro because Mr Wang Dong Cheng loved his coffee and had to have his espresso every morning no matter where he was. On the other hand, Ella got her adrenaline rush from caffeinated drinks like Red Bull. That explained the month’s worth supply of the energy drink in her otherwise empty fridge.

 

But she did love Jiro and that was why she just gave in to his whims and fancies. Well most of them anyway. She did enjoy preparing breakfast for him whenever he stayed over. It was just one of those things that she wished would be a more permanent daily occurrence. As cliché as it sounds, Ella was really an ordinary girl at heart. There was nothing that could beat waking up next to the one she loved every single morning.

 

Ella had checked with Wu Chun about Fahrenheit’s schedule for that day so she knew what time was the call time for the guys. Once she had witnessed one of the boy band’s media events and to say that the fans were hysterical was an understatement. Even she and the girls didn’t receive such insane support. Bringing the tray of food to the living room, she saw that Fahrenheit’s Superhot music video was playing on MTV. She had muted the television in order not to disturb Jiro. Four remarkably toned boys dancing in ripped shirts? Which girl wouldn’t stop to look? She noted how Jiro had really buffed up in the past months. Wu Chun had been told to tone down on the muscle building while poor Calvin hadn’t been that successful in toughening up. She chuckled when she recalled how she had teased Aaron backstage at one of 2009’s music awards shows by pressing her body against him. How red his face had been. What great fun her juniors were.

 

“Hey darling.” Jiro sneaked up behind her and tried to scare her.

 

Calmly, Ella just turned and told him with a straight face. “Nice music video.”

 

“First time you’re seeing it?” He flopped down on the sofa.

 

“I think so. So why are you awake?”

 

“The smell of coffee.” Picking up a piece of toast, he grinned at his girlfriend.

 

“Don’t bull. I closed my bedroom door.” He had probably sent the alarm on his mobile. “Don’t dilly dally. Minghui’s picking you up in an hour.”

 

“Yes Madam!” He gave her a salute.

 

“Good soldier.” She returned the gesture when Jiro noticed an addition to her wrist.

 

“That’s new.”

 

Ella was munching on her toast now, watching the Jeff Chang music video showing right now. “What’s that, Dong Dong?” She asked distractedly.

 

Reaching over, he pointed out a leather bracelet amongst the various knick knacks on her left hand. “That that.”

 

“Oh, it’s a present. From Jerry.” Her eyes were still on the music video, she didn’t know that Jeff Chang was releasing new songs. “Did you know Jeff has a new album?” She asked with full of bread.

 

Jiro’s heart stopped a beat. It was all coming back to him. “Jerry?” His voice was cold. Oh that Jerry Yan was a thorn that wouldn’t go away.

 

Only upon hearing Jiro’s sudden iciness, did Ella realise what she had said. Oh , here we go again, she thought. Sheepishly, she explained, “We were in China for the show and god knows where we were, I can’t remember and he thought it was nice but you know how he doesn’t wear anything like that so he thought it would be great for me. It’s a boy’s bracelet. Just a silly thing, it doesn’t mean anything.”

 

Thankfully, Cookie decided to trot in, hopeful for the treat he didn’t get yesterday. Jiro tried to absorb whatever Ella had just said despite his growing anger. That was one thing that Ella just didn’t understand was why Jiro’s jealousy when it came to Jerry. Like any hot blooded male, he didn’t want Jerry near his girlfriend. But as Ella had tried to reason time after time, as much as Jerry was the superstar he was, Jiro didn’t have anything to worry about.

 

He hadn’t said a word. It was his turn to scoop Cookie up and hold the dog close to his chest. He didn’t understand himself too sometimes. He had no issue with Wu Chun and Ella’s rumours previously but that could also be that Wu Chun and him were friends and he trusted him completely. But he had made the mistake of watching a few episodes of Down With Love and one of the television interviews that Jerry and Ella did which completely disconcerted him. The physical closeness and chemistry that they shared on and off screen was unnerving.

 

“Da Dong, you don’t have anything to worry about. You said that you weren’t mad anymore!” Ella controlled herself, not willing this conversation to end up like the last one weeks ago, hence the cold war.

 

“I didn’t say that.”

 

Sometimes it took all she could not to strangle his boyfriend to get through to his stubborn head.

 

Ella had a temper. It was Jiro that was the calm to her occasional outward bursts. But Jiro had never been the recipient of her are tantrums though she wondered at that very moment whether that fact would change soon. She did love Jiro though she never said it. She was afraid that she would jinx everything if she put what she felt into words. She was all action and no talk when it came to relationships. Trying her best to show how much she cared for him with the little things, sometimes she forgot that what Jiro and her had was different from other people. She hadn’t seen him or even spoke to him on the phone for more than a month and the last thing she wanted was to argue with him, especially over Jerry.

 

She moved close and gave him a kiss on the lips. Though Ella was a tomboy at heart, it still pleased Jiro when she tried to be sweet. “Let’s not fight about this anymore. I’ll not wear it anymore ok?” She removed the bracelet as a peace offering. “I’ll burn it.”

 

Jiro had to smile, though this had already put a damper on his mood. “Promise?”

 

“Of course.” She would never dream of hurting Jiro. They had been having this stupid argument since late 2009. Things had reached a boiling point just before the new year’s. Both Fahrenheit and S.H.E. had performed at the New Year’s Eve event in Taipei. Ella had pleaded with him before the event in order not to start the new year on a bad note via text message. Of course the dear boy was a big softie. He couldn’t resist giving her a hug when they passed the girls after their performance to the backstage. This exchange was filmed and fans had a field day wondering who it was because Jiro’s back was towards the camera. They were debating between Jiro and Aaron but Aaron won out for some reason online.

 

He was exhausted with the situation too, it wasn’t easy to sustain a relationship like that and that didn’t include his own inner battles that he had to fight. Relenting, he returned Ella’s kiss.

 

“Yippee!” She punched her fist into the air.

 

Cookie barked, excited at his owner’s sudden outburst.

 

“Oh no, the time.” The espresso was cold but he gulped it down nevertheless. He put the small dog down before rushing into the bedroom. In five minutes, he returned, buttoning his shirt and wearing his pants.

 

He stood at the door as Ella helped him gather his things. Each time he spent time with her indoors, he was reminded of how life could be. A sweet simple life. She passed him his helmet. “Dong Dong, remember the English course I applied for in New York?” She had forgot to tell him the news that was overshadowed by Selina’s accident.

 

Tying his shoelaces, he tried to keep Cookie was his motorcycle boots. “Mmm hmm?”

 

“Well I got accepted.”

 

That was news to him. The dark cloud had returned to his eyes but he didn’t have time to brood over it. Ella on her part tried to ignore the flicker in his expression. This was for a film she was going to embark on. This separation would also give them time to think about things. About how important it was for them to be together. These squabbles kept on returning and that’s what their relationship had been about lately. She wasn’t sure whether Jiro had time or energy to realise that. He was always pushing himself to do so many things in a day. His book, going to the gym with the guys at 3 am, his new clothing line and being the filial son. He was overworked but she really wondered whether he realised that. Even at their peak, Ella had never worked so hard. She didn’t want to show him she was worried though. She didn’t want to add to his plate.

 

“E-mail me. Or call me today. Let’s talk more.” And with that he was gone.

 

She closed the door. Leaning against it, she wrapped her arms about her body, willing the tears that were threatening to fall not to escape her eyes. She always felt wistful whenever Jiro left her, empty. “If he wants to leave you, he doesn’t need an excuse to.” She told herself.