First Day

Tumbling Into Wonderland

 

After a kind looking elderly receptionist handed him his timetable guiltily, Hoseok was set to go. He didn't think much about her facial expression since there was no logical explanation for the look. For a few minutes he wondered around the building, looking for his classroom and couldn't help but notice how all the rooms looked the same.

How was he expected to find his form class when the only thing differentiating the different rooms were unhelpful door signs? The halls and classroom walls were a pale white colour and the doors  and chairs were midnight black. Each classroom had roughly five rows of desks with six tables in each row.

Let's see, if E1 is here then E4 must be pretty close, he thought, noticing that the numbers were getting larger. He stood outside the E4 classroom for a few seconds before entering, biting his lip nervously. "Well, here goes nothing," and opened the door.

There was only one word to describe everything around him. Chaos. Paper planes were flying everywhere and students were running around the room excitedly. Now he understood the reason for her facial expression. Coming from a strict school, he was unused to this kind of environment. It was loud, messy and unstructured.

He looked around, thinking that there was no teacher and that was the reason for  this behaviour. However, right at the front of the room there was a young looking man who was staring at his phone intently, uncaring about the situation around him. The only reason he knew that the man wasn't a student was the obvious lack of uniform.

Hoseok cleared his throat to get his attention but the teacher didn't even glance upwards. The brown haired student moved to the front of the classroom and decided to introduce himself if no one else would do it for him. Being a loud person himself, it looked like he'd fit in here.

"Hi everyone, I'm Jung Hoseok. Me and my family moved here recently so I'm new to Daegu," he smiled his characteristic bright smile before turning back to the teacher.

"Where should I sit?" He asked politely, hoping that he wouldn't be ignored again. He was pointed to a desk at the back of the classroom with someone called 'Min Yoongi'. As soon as the teacher announced his seating partner the whole class started whispering, some even giving him pitying looks.

"Good luck surviving the year man," one student whose badge was labelled Kim Namjoon smiled sympathetically at him which raised the hairs on the back of Hoseok's neck. Why was everyone reacting like this? Was this Min Yoongi a bully or a troublemaker. He nodded, sighed heavily and began walking towards what he was worried would be hell personified.

The closer he got to his seat partner, the more he noticed just how delicate the teenager actually looked. The guy looked almost angelic in appearance. So why were people making a fuss? He had ruffled black hair, soft looking skin, light pink lips and a creased uniform that suggested indifference rather than uncleanliness. His confidence now returned, Hoseok sat on the seat next to him and got his books out.

"Hey,  I'm not sure if you heard but I'm going to be your seat partner for the rest of the year. My name is Hoseok and-" he tried to inform the raven haired student who looked like he was asleep. Unlike before, his head was turned around and not facing him so he didn't know if the other was actually sleeping.

"I heard the first time, so shut it," the raven haired student growled threateningly, still not facing him.

"But I-" Hoseok began only to be faced with a glare so sharp he was startled for words. The harmless, angelic appearance that he first noticed had evaporated and it was then when he realised -

1) No wonder everyone's scared of this guy, he's probably secretly the devil. He groaned internally at the realisation.

2) Since this class would take place every morning for the whole year, he was doomed. Completely doomed.

He looked around the rest of the class at the rest of the students only to see most of them intently watching,  fascinated by the interaction between the new kid and the aloof Yoongi. Clearly some of them were expecting this behaviour as they sniggered at the rude brush off instead of looking shocked.  Oh well, at least there was only one Min Yoongi and the rest of the class seemed to hold some semblance of normality.

There was one guy who wasn't watching the confrontation though. He was sat right in front of them and had bright orange hair which looked pretty cool. Was that allowed or does he not care? He wondered while running a hand through his own dull brown hair.

His parents would never let him colour his hair anything that bold because they thought it would look immature. So he already respected this boy's courage and originality.

By lunchtime Hoseok had become quick friends with the laid back Namjoon who invited him to sit at his table with his group of friends.

"So what do you think so far, do you like it here?" He was asked by one of the occupants on the table who he found liked to call himself Zico.

"Yeah, I was worried but everyone here seems pretty friendly and nice.  Well, except for my seat partner. What's the deal with him anyway?" Hoseok banged his head against the table annoyed.

"You mean Min Yoongi? I'll gve you some advice Hoseok, stay away from that guy. He's bad news aka not the sort you'd want to befriend. He's been kicked out more times than we can count and hangs out with the wrong sort after school too," Namjoon patiently explained, wanting his new classmate to know just who he was sitting next to.

"So is he the same age as us, or older?" He asked curiously, wanting to know more about this mysterious troublemaker.

"No, he got kicked out of his last school so he got pushed back a year," it was Dongwoo who answered this time with a disproving shake of the head.

"Gossiping with the new kid are we?" A voice scoffed behind them disprovingly. "You guys should be ashamed of yourselves," it was Kim Seokjin, the student body president and model student. He was tall and had broad shoulders, short brown hair that framed his long face and a pristine looking uniform.

Overall, he looked handsome but sadly his personality left much to be desired. Namjoon who was sat next to him, sneered contemptuously.

"Go away, you snobby lowlife. Shouldn't you be kissing up to teachers right now?" Since no one on the table reacted and Seokjin just rolled his eyes, this was clearly a very common occurrence between the two.

Hoseok watched the confrontation avidly, wanting to know why his new friend was reacting so strongly to this newcomer.

"Excuse me, I do not 'kiss up' as you called it. Just because I have aims in life, unlike a certain someone, doesn't make me a lowlife. Have fun being stuck in Daegu for the rest of your life Kim Namjoon, you uncivilised failure," Seokjin retorted scathingly before walking away, leaving behind an seething Namjoon and a confused Hoseok.

"So what's the problem with you two?" he asked when the table became silent.

"Don't mind them, they've been at each others throats since the age of two. Their parents have pictures of them in diapers screaming at each other. I'm not joking. Even the teachers think it's funny nowadays. Besides, Seokjin's just pissed that he got ranked second again and our buddy here made us all proud," another friend, Song Minho replied and high fived Namjoon light heartedly across the table.

"That's still hard to achieve, I mean out of all the students here," the new student commented, unable to imagine ever being ranked in the top ten, let alone second in the whole school.

"He applied for medicine in Seoul University and his parents won't accept anything but perfection. I kinda feel sorry for him, everyone expects him to be a certain way so he must be under a lot of pressure," Park Chanyeol, a giant but kind looking boy answered sympathetically.

Hoseok started to pity the brown haired president, now that he thought about it, the poor guy must be miserable inside. He vowed to try to get closer to him and bring him out of the shell he created to keep people away. The brown haired boy didn't seem that bad, maybe he just needed a friend.

"Shut up about Kim Seokjin, I see the almost everyday. That's already bad enough, I don't need to start hearing about him too," Namjoon complained, glaring at everyone grumpily.

Soon after his words, the bell rang - signifying that it was lesson time. His maths teacher, a friendly middle aged man, introduced him to the class enthusiastically before gesturing to sit at the front.

"You'll be sitting next to Kim Taehyung for the rest of the year so please, please try to get along," Hoseok nodded at the cryptic words and sat next to the orange haired boy from the morning.

After the fiasco this morning, Hoseok was a bit reluctant to greet him which created an awkward silence. A few seconds later the other teenager turned around and bowed his head politely before introducing himself.

"Hi, I'm Kim Taehyung. Nice to meet you," and he gave him a wide, gleaming box shaped grin that activated butterflies in his stomach. The orange haired student looked......perfect. Hoseok's eyes zeroed in on the other's masculine jaw, nose and shapely eyebrows before realising that he was expected to say something as well.

"J-..Jung Hoseok, nice to meet you too," he began only to be cut off by soft laughter. He raised an eyebrow questioningly.

"You talk funny, are you from outer space?" The younger of two's eyes widened excitedly at the possibility, slightly bouncing in his seat.

"What? No, of course not," he responded, wondering if the other was kidding.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone," his seatmate whispered secretively, nodding thoughtfully. "I always wanted to meet someone like you, your disguise is really good. I only noticed because I've trained myself to identify the abnormal so don't panic, no one else will notice. I mean my telescope shows me really cool things but it's different from real life," Taehyung nodded seriously which indicated to Hoseok that he wasn't joking, well that and the fact that he was getting poked in the arm repeatedly to ensure that he was solid.

"Promise not to tell anyone and I might even reveal my mission to you one day," he joined in, deciding to humour the younger instead of getting annoyed. This was actually quite fun. It wasn't like he was being mocked for being different which was relieving because he'd been worried about that earlier.

"You mean you'll be allowed to give away your secrets? Really?" At this point his eyes were as wide as saucers and his mouth was shaped like a small zero.

"Of course, now let's do these problems before we get in trouble," he advised before picking up the work and starting the first question.

"Yes hyung," he mock saluted and began his work too. He just noticed, his partners voice was much deeper than expected, contrasting with his youthful face. Hoseok blinked and then smiled at the title, not expecting to be addressed casually so soon. Besides, how did he know that he was older? Weren't they the same age?

"Hey, Taehyung what did you get for question four? I can't seem to work it out correctly," he ran a hand through his hair frustratedly. He'd been on the question for five minutes and he didn't seem to be getting any closer to the answer. Maths had never been his strong suit but these questions were intense.

"Question four? Divide by the coefficient x and then differentiate the entire equation," Taehyung peered over at Hoseok's messy work before shaking his head lightly.

"Hyung, you've been integrating instead. Here, take this paper and do it again," the younger's stern tone and composed exterior supposed him. His personality was clearly much more complicated and different to what Hoseok assumed at first.  

Maybe sitting next to Kim Taehyung this year would be fun and maybe, just maybe, this school year would change his life completely.