Step Away From The Comfort Zone

Tumbling Into Wonderland

 

For Hoseok, deciding to move from Gwangju to Daegu was one of the hardest challenges he ever faced in his short, but laughter filled 17 years of life. 

 "Yah, JUNG HOSEOK!" his mother shouted at him from his room. "Finish packing, your noona finished yesterday - what's taking you so long? And if I continue to hear anymore thudding and loud music coming from that room, I will come up!" She was usually very mild mannered but whenever she felt like they were late or something, the threats and shouting started. She called the band Queen a nuisance while he called them Kings, it was clear they wouldn't be seeing eye to eye any time soon. 

The young dancer sighed, turned his stereo off and continued stuffing his clothes into his suitcase, a birthday present from his best friend Junhong. It had smiley yellow faces and a name tag that said 'PROPERTY OF JHOPE' in block capitals.

The nickname was the name he came up with for underground dance battles and soon enough the whole school, even the teachers seemed to pick it up. He and Junhong who, otherwise known as Zelo often performed together and met when they were in middle school, hitting it off instantly.

Dancing was his passion, he never felt as alive doing anything else. His sister often asked him why he didn't become an idol but he couldn't imagine going through all the hardships that came with it. The rigorous training, weight loss, travelling, lack of privacy and the loss of almost all free time. Instead, he preferred to dance at the annual battles that took place in his area; often performing solo or with a couple of his friends.

Watching the rap battles were always intense and exciting but it always left him with a sense of longing. Rapping was something he really enjoyed but never had the guts to do in public. Instead, his self composed lyrics were lying on a desk that they'd most likely never be removed from.

Leaving Gwangju would be difficult. He'd spent his entire life here and soon everything would change. What was Daegu like? Would the high school be any different? The food? The people? He knew in movies that Gyeongsangdo people were portrayed as being aggressive and scary but didn't want to fall into regional stereotypes. Saying goodbye to his friends was hard too, although he promised to stay in contact with them, he feared that drifting apart would be inevitable.

He hoped they had a dance club, his thoughts once again returning to his favourite topic.  Unlike with other activities, dancing didn't drain his energy. One move and it felt like his problems were blended into the next move - smoothly, effortlessly. Choreography could be artwork if carefully planned out, step by step. 

Although his parents didn't support him, he had a dream. That dream was to enter the Korea National University of Arts. It was somewhere he'd wanted to go for a while and nothing would get in his way. Hopefully after seeing his strong determination, his parents would start supporting him.

After graduating he wanted to open up a dance school in Seoul for people all over the county. Then maybe after a few years relocate it to Gwangju and settle down. He'd already created a life plan and he would see it to the end. However for now, he just needed to graduate high school. 

The fact that there was only one year until graduation bothered him. If only his father had gotten promoted after he left home - things would have been much simpler. Less exciting but much simpler. There wouldn't be any need to change his entire life around, get used to an unfamiliar environment and get good grades on top of that. 

After packing he turned his stereo back on which would definitely annoy his mum and went back to goofing around in his room again, the floor thudding every once in a while. His new obsession - Ice Cream Cake by Red Velvet. No one knew this but he loved practicing girl group dance routines in the privacy of his bedroom. He never revealed it to anyone, especially his breakdancing crew in embarrassment of what they might say.

Everyone saw him as the big shot hip hop dancer of the school, confessing this would be social murder. No, he shook his head confidently, no would find out about this. The knowledge would be buried with him and taken to the grave. 

"I'm lucky I don't have that many books," he muttered as he dragged his heavy suitcase down the creaking staircases to where his family was impatiently waiting. Mentally reprimanding himself for buying so many clothes.

"You sure took your sweet time, it's not like we have anywhere to go or anything," his sister commented, a faux annoyed expression on her face when he got closer. She was a few years older than him and their parents only had them, something that Hoseok was grateful for everyday.

Their relationship was carefree and fun since they were both incredibly similar. This meant that most of the time they acted like two immature friends, much to the irritation of their parents who had hoped for much quieter children. He laughed joyously and retorted.

"Anytime without you is sweet sis,"

His mother, previously double checking their final items rolled her eyes, used to their bickering, robotically replied "Hoseok, Minhee, get in the car please, I don't want to get stuck in traffic." 

The drive wouldn't be short so the Jung's wanted to get to the highway before the rush hour. Otherwise the car ride would be exhaustingly long which would be painful for everyone.  They all made sure to bring bags containing snacks for the journey, though they'd all most likely be consumed in the first few hours.

Both siblings nodded, grabbed their luggage and practically chased each other across the road to reclaim the 'best' seat in the car. This was a tradition that they carried out almost religiously every time they shared a car together.  

"I got here first, so SHOTGUN!" Hoseok panted, slightly out of breath. He was determined to be in control of all the music they would listen to during the car ride. Since this would be the longest time they would ever be in a car together, both of them ran as fast as they could towards the front seat.

"By like two seconds which isn't fair. Besides, I refuse to let you pick all the songs like last time. Your taste is horrible and I don't know how to tell you this without hurting your feelings but-" she smirked, knowing full well that she did know how to phrase this. 

"You can't sing, so stop making us suffer because of your lack of talent. If I was paid for every minute that you've almost deafened me, I'd be bathing in money right now," she said sharply, revealing her true opinion without holding back. Hoseok, not usually one to get offended, rolled his eyes at the exaggeration. 

However, truth be told they all knew that no one in the family could sing - it was a long standing joke in the house of who was worse, her or her brother. They'd often go to karaoke places together just to compete for who could get the lowest score. Since he won the last time they went, she'd often jokingly mention his singing abilities whenever she could. 

There would only be one way to settle this and from the look in her eyes, she knew too. Both being very competitive people, at a young age they found an almost foil proof way to solve arguments. In unison they both took a deep breath and shouted-

"KAI BAI BU"

Suffice to say, they spent most of the car journey to Daegu holding their tortured ears as Hoseok attempted to sing *wail* along to his entire CD collection. It was a long day for everyone. Well, except for the grinning maknae of the family who had more fun torturing his family than he had in a long while.