o n e

Gilded Lies

He was nowhere to be found. In the familiar basement where they had met, Sora sat alone on a sparsely stuffed couch. Yoongi had told her he would meet her in the basement, but like always she was left to wonder where he was. This wasn't a new phenomenon, however. Yoongi was often late, absent, or missing in action. Without so much as a text or phone call to know his whereabouts, Sora had learned to resign herself to patiently waiting. And so with a beer in her hand, Sora waited.

"bag late again?" Sora looked over at her friend Jimin as he plopped onto the couch next to him.

"He's your friend, you shouldn't call him that," she laughed lightly.

"He's my friend, that's why I call him that," Jimin laughed back.

Sora smiled and looked at Jimin, thinking about how they had come to be so close. They had met through Yoongi, before Sora started dating him. He was Yoongi's best friend from high school that was somehow the only person Yoongi had bothered to keep in touch with. Between Yoongi's terrible communication skills and the times both of them had been stood up, the two quickly found things to talk about. From there, they had bonded. Every time Yoongi fell through, Sora knew she could call Jimin so she wouldn't feel too alone.

"Why do you always defend him?" Jimin asked after chugging nearly all of whatever was in his cup.

"You defend him too," Sora replied defensively. Every once in a while Jimin would bring this up and she hated it.

"That's not what I mean." Jimin shook his head. "I know you love him, but at some point you have to analyze whether or not the pain is worth it."

"It's worth it." She nodded firmly, taking a sip of her drink.

"I'm saying this because you're my friend," Jimin said, "but you need to put yourself first. Look, Yoongi is my friend, but the way he goes about relationships... He takes and takes and rarely gives. He expects you to wait for him, but never puts aside time for you. And I know that when you're with him you realize why you keep him around, but I just don't wanna see you get hurt."

"Jimin," Sora sighed, wanting nothing more than to shift the conversation somewhere else.

"Besides," he laughed uncomfortably, clearly trying to lift the mood, "I think you and I would make a much better couple."

"Stop." Sora smiled, rolling her eyes. 

"I mean, does Yoongi have these kind of abs?" Jimin asked with a devious smile, lifting up his shirt to reveal his toned stomach.

"No," she giggled, "but he does have his redeeming qualities."

"Really?" Jimin leaned forward with fake awe. "All my life looking for them and it only took you two years?"

"Well, I've seen him ," Sora joked, raising a suggestive eyebrow.

"And you think I haven't?" Jimin laughed heartily.

The conversation died down and Sora returned to her drink. Jimin stayed by her side on the couch as others came and went, milling about in the smoke-filled basement. They kept up casual banter, but Sora was preoccupied. Yoongi was very late. No matter how many times it happened, she always became anxious as the hours ticked by. Where was he? What was he doing? Who was he with?

And as she consumed more alcohol and more time passed, Sora became bold. Jimin's words buzzed in her head. He was right, she didn't deserve to wait for Yoongi on a whim. She deserved more. Someone like Jimin wouldn't do this to her. He would be there, talk to her. She could joke with him and he wouldn't call her stupid. 

"Jimin?" Sora asked, downing the rest of her fifth beer.

"Mhm?" He raised an eyebrow, turning to look at her.

Without hesitation, Sora threw her cup to the ground and took Jimin's face in her hands. She pulled him forward and brought his lips to hers, crushing them together. Jimin's lips were still for a moment against her hungry ones, but he soon began to kiss her back. He had one hand on her waist and one in her hair. Sora had wiggled herself onto his lap and both of her hands rested on his chiseled stomach.

Sora knew it didn't feel right. It wasn't the same as the kisses she shared with Yoongi. There wasn't a spark or anything between them. It was just a messy, too warm for comfort kiss that held nothing in it. But she didn't care. She thought that maybe if she kissed him long enough they could connect and she could convince herself she didn't need Yoongi.

"Are you kidding me?" A loud voice boomed from the bottom of the stairs.

Sora pulled away from Jimin, wiping with the back of her hand and sliding off from his lap. When she looked towards who had spoken, she say a fuming Yoongi marching towards them.

"Are you ing kidding me?" He repeated, making it over to the couch and looming over the two of them.

"Yoongi-" Sora started, but was cut off when Yoongi suddenly punched Jimin in the face.

"!" Jimin cried out in pain. 

"Yoongi it wasn't his fault." Sora put out a hand, afraid he would strike Jimin again. She could tell he was already drunk. No doubt, he had been milling about upstairs and drinking before he came down. 

"Yoongi, you're drunk. I'm sorry I kissed your girl, we were both drunk. Just walk away from this right now," Jimin said, trying his best to diffused the situation.

Without a word, Yoongi grabbed Sora's arm and yanked her off of the couch. A pain jolted up her arm at the motion, but she was too shocked to make a sound. He dragged her behind him as he made it up the stairs, through the crowds of people, and out the door. It wasn't until they reached Yoongi's car that Sora spoke up.

"Let me drive," she said, pulling back her arm. 

Yoongi glared at her silently, but eventually dug into his pocket and threw his keys at her. They got into the car and Sora revved it to life. She felt completely sober after Yoongi had punched Jimin. Her buzz was gone, her daringness out the window. And as they drove back to their apartment in silence, Sora feared the wrath that was to come. Yoongi didn't make a sound now, but she knew he would have plenty to say once they got home. He was always free to do as he pleased, but if she so much as made a food he didn't like she would face his sharp tongue. He had never been truly mean to her, but she had never made out with his best friend before.

"Y-yoongi?" She stuttered, hoping to start the conversation in the car where neighbors couldn't hear.

"Just drive," he said tersly, facing forward with icy eyes.

Sora bit her lip and looked straight ahead at the road, gripping the steeringwheel with white knuckles.

What did I do?"