The Human Ward

Monster

He halted somewhere deep in the facility, the floor too slippery with gore and blood for him to keep completely stable footing. What had once been scientist corpses were now ex-scientist piles of flesh and twisted bone. At the very least, he assumed it was scientists and researchers. 

As he progressed, the once-dim lighting became smokey blue florescent tubes on black walls. Gurneys lined the sides of the walls, some empty, some bloody and some with still, human bodies strapped down with leather at the wrists, ankles and neck. Males and females alike were there, both shaven bald and sunken in, as if they were skeletons with a human visage pulled over them.

He dared not speak. As soon as he'd stepped inside, the noise of gunfire abruptly cut off. Whatever was to be housed here was dangerous, if nothing else, and he was not looking for a fight. He stealthed through the hallways, stalking through like a predator in unfamiliar territory. HIs eyes clicked from black to blue and the room appeared brighter, giving him enough of an advantage to not hit anything as he skulked around. There were no bullet holes here, the concrete not rotting away, no decay lingering but the unmistakable scent of death and the ominous forewarning of despair. It rightfully unsettled him.

"A demon."

He swung around, a shiver ripping up him at the void gaze levelled at him from the human shell standing behind him. It looked like it might have once been a woman, but even its voice was ambiguous. It sounded like it had been passed through gravel and sand, left to rot in unbearable heat and fire. 

"A demon."

He twisted around, finding another living corpse suspended from the ceiling by its arms. They had been dislocated for a long time, it appeared. The skin was transluscent and taut where it was still connected to the shoulder blade, but the ball at the end of the humerus was visible and fired white and dry. 

"A demon." 

Beside the hanging human where were two dried out arms, unmoving in the still air, the skin thin and transparent like old plastic lining not able to stop the passage of light through the gap between the radius and ulna in the forearms. The person they belonged to was on the floor, gazing up at him. Their eyes were brown, flickering back and forth over his body.

What is this? 

He backed away from them, approaching him with only dead acceptance. He backed into a large room, tanks and tables and tubes and machines lining the walls, tables covered in broken, bloody tools and think books scattered on them. Researchers looked up at him, making a kind of startled noise behind their protective and obscuring masks. 

"A demon!"

Monstrosities inside the tanks shifted in anger at the noises, one creature in a cage above him savagely trying to bite through the bars. Hairless and skinless, it snapped at the thick iron rods using its jaw bones. Its teeth lay, yellow, on the floor beneath it and its gums had been stripped away, either through force or by the gnawing. 

"How did you make it out of the testing chambers?" One of the scientists snapped - most likely the leader. 

He was frozen - behind him was gunfire and war, but in front of him was ruthless madness. Which way was better to go? Take a chance with getting himself killed or wade through this, this- He didn't know what this was. 

The lead scientist grabbed a pistol and shot at him, but he was quick to duck behind the shield of his fur, the bullets ricocheting into the tubes and cages, the ones he ducked hitting the shuffling skeletons behind him, who collapsed, unmoving, with a meek whoosh

"You want to run loose? Fine." The scientist snarled. "Welcome to the Human Ward, monster."

As if summoned, there was a shriek, deafening with his advanced senses.


Seungri couldn't do it. 

Daesung was out there right now, likely being tracked down by somebody, dragged to God-knows-where. He'd seen the documentaries of Facilities 46, 35 and 59, about the horrors that happened there and what would likely await Daesung now what they no longer had a use for him. 

But what was it even for? There had been no reports of any demon activity for decades, nearly since the facilities shut down, and when the government had gone on those raids, they had been very keen to tell the public so. If this was the government coming back, after over eighty years, to hunt down pre-marked demons, what was the real reason? Did they want to kill them, or were they looking to reignite the projects they'd declared finished enough to release to the public fifty something years ago? It didn't add up.

Seungri rolled out of bed, grabbing his phone and keys, pulling on some clothes and disappearing out the door.