The Final Countdown: Preparations

당신과 함께 재연 (An Encore With You)

Before going up to the restaurant that the other SHINee members, Jinki was calming himself down while holding Jessica's hand.

Jessica said, "I'm...Afraid."

Jinki answered, "I'll protect you."

"I'm the reason why you told Taemin to kill you," Jessica reacted, trying not to imagine Jinki dead, "When you shouted that, I..."

"It's a good thing that you did not," Jinki said.

"Why am I not allowed to make some sacrifices for you?" Jessica asked to nobody in particular.

Jinki smiled sadly and said, "Because it has been my job to do the sacrificing."

The two then went into the restaurant with their hands tightly interlocked. They reached a small private room. The two entered to find the other four SHINee members in silence. The four looked up, but Taemin looked away when he saw the hands intertwined. 

"Hyung, please sit," Jonghyun greeted, "Annyeonghaseyo, Jessica-sshi. Oraenmanieyo."

"Annyeonghaseyo, SHINee yeorobundeul," Jessica greeted. 

Though Taemin was about to say something, Key held his hand to stop Taemin. Key then said, "We will do this with calm emotions. Jinki-hyung, please do not be overrun by feelings, and we'll do the same. I promise you that."

Jinki nodded. Key looked at Taemin and said, "Taemin-ah, me, Jonghyun and Minho all know that hyung and Jessica-sshi have been meeting, and we agreed to it."

Taemin looked surprised. Jonghyun then said, "It's not only us who knew. Taeyeon-sshi and Hyoyeon-sshi knew also. Taeyeon-sshi, Hyoyeon-sshi and I followed them during the first day, and I was the one who shouted so that the attention of the people will go to Luna and not to them. It's a long story but I'll leave it at that."

"Why are you meeting us...?" Jessica asked.

"Why are you two meeting?" Minho asked, "We have to know, especially Taemin. We have to understand as well how come you two are meeting like lovers. We all know what happened during that incident."

Jinki was the one who answered, "I still love her. I'm Lee Jinki when she's there. I decided to be selfish because this will be the last time that I can be with her."

"Why?" Jonghyun asked.

Jessica took a deep breath and said, "When I start promoting my song, I'll say that I have a relationship with Tyler Kwon."

Jinki closed his eyes and looked away. All of Onew's members looked at him and saw the pain. Taemin asked while trying to control his anger, "And why would you do that?"

"It was the plan of Tyler," Jessica admitted, shame evident in her voice, "To keep publicity. We are hoping that through the album release at least we can cover some loses with the fashion brand."

Taemin scoffed at what Jessica said. However, before Taemin could respond, Jinki said, "When all of this happens, I'll just return to the Onew of SHINee." 

Taemin then asked, "Why? Can't you be the old you hyung?"

Jinki sadly shook his head and then asked Taemin back, "Were you the same Lee Taemin when you and Naeun ended up? The difference between you guy and me is that I will not be able torecover from this. Jonghyun ended up with Sekyung on a good note, both respecting the fans. Minho and Eunseo ended on a good note, after they spent a few dates after the end of . You did your best to improve just to forget that Naeun broke up with you for the sake of fans. You are all good...But this...This will...Impact me for the rest of my life."

"Hyung," Taemin said.

"If I may..." Jessica said.

Taemin crossed his arms, but remained silent. Jessica then said, "I know that everyone, most especially Taemin, is confused on why we are doing this and then just...Well, this was a pure act of selfishness, something that no idol should have. We were selfish because we wanted to choose our own happiness. However, like what I said, we are idols - all of us here are tied to the industry, to our fans...To society. We both know that we cannot have each other for long--"

"But you can just turn away from idol life!" Taemin explained.

"Ani," Jinki said, "You do not have to tell it out loud that you would all want me to stay as an idol."

The SHINee members looked away for this was exactly true and this is why they invited the two in the first place - to ensure that Onew will not leave SHINee. 

"I cannot change that I'm not a member of Girls' Generation anymore, and that I am using someone's mo--" Jessica tried to start again but Jonghyun cut her.

"That's what I do not understand," Jonghyun said with restraint, "I mean, why are you with him? Because he funds your fashion label and your new entertainment?"

Jessica nodded. Before Jonghyun can say something, Jinki said, "You can judge whatever you want, but say something to her is saying something to me."

Jonghyun took a deep breath and kept silent. Jessica continued, "I have one last request from the four of you."

"Mwo?" Minho asked.

"Stay with Jinki the day of the release of my...I mean the release of Jessica's album," Jessica said while looking at Jinki. "I will have to reveal that me and Tyler Kwon are dating."

Taemin, Jonghyun and Key were about to shout when Minho said in a very loud voice, "Arasseo."

Everyone looked at Minho. He said, "We will take care of our hyung. We are not doing this because of you. We are doing this because On....Ani, Jinki-hyung has helped us become what we are right now. I know that he was in his happiest with you. I know that when he hears the news, even though that he know it, he will feel the pain of you not returning. We will be there. We will be there for him, right?"

The other SHINee members who stood up nodded. Jinki sighed and said, "Thank you."

 

All five SHINee members were at their dorm living room. Taemin then broke the silence by saying, "Mianhe, Jinki-hyung."

Jinki smiled, ruffed the hair of Taemin and said, "Do well on everything that you do."

Jinki then said to s, "You do everything at your best. Arasseo? Not only for yourselves, but for me also. I ask this as one last favor."

"Last favor?" the four SHINee members asked in chorus. 

Jinki smiled sadly and answered, "After two days, I won't ask any personal requests from the four of you."

The SHINee leader got up and went to his room. "We must stay by his side after this is over," Jonghyun said.

Meanwhile, Jinki and Jessica just started their video call. 

"What are we going to do tomorrow?" Jessica asked.

Jinki smiled and said, "Go to the MBC studio where Music Core is usually recorded."

"Eh? Won't people see us?" Jessica asked in a surprised tone. 

Jinki replied, "I'll make sure that no one sees us."

Jessica nodded and said, "Arasseo..." 

The two looked at each other for a long time without saying a word. Jessica then said, "Jinki,"

"Hm?" Jinki responded.

"No matter what you see and no matter what you hear, you will always be the one that I will love. This choice of ours... It will not be in vain," Jessica said.

Jinki nodded in response. After a few seconds of silence, Jinki opened his eyes and said, "Jessica...Will you visit my grave?"

Jinki saw Jessica suddenly sitting up. "Why are you asking me this? Lee Jinki! What are you thinking?!" Jessica said in a shocked state.

Jinki smiled sadly and said, "Ani...I mean of course we'll all die--"

"Stop," Jessica said as tears started to flow from her eyes. "I...I cannot..." Jessica stuttered to answer Jinki. 

Jinki opened his eyes and said, "Look at me, Jessica."

Jessica obeyed and looked at Jinki's eyes. She saw something different...It was as if Jinki was saying goodbye.

"Yah," Jessica said, "Why are you looking at me like that? Lee Jinki, don't you ever dream of killing yourself! I would hate you for that!" 

Jinki said, "Jal ja...My Jessica. I'll see you tomorrow, that is for sure."

Jinki then closed the video call. Jessica then called her sister.

"Ne unnie?" Krystal answered.

"Can you check on Jinki? He joked about me visiting his grave and I'm worried that--" Jessica said worriedly when Krystal cut her off.

"Arasseo, unnie. Don't worry," Krystal responded, "I'll keep the line open."

Jessica heard Krystal asking permission for her to visit the SHINee dorm. Then, after a few moments, Jessica heard a knock and she heard the door opened.

"Oh? Krystal, what are you doing here?" Jessica heard a voice that sounded like Minho ask.

Krystal answered, "Is Onew-oppa asleep already?" 

Jessica heard Minho reply, "Maybe. He's in his room now. Wae?"

"Uhm..." Krystal was thinking of something to answer when Jessica heard the voice she was wanting to hear.

"Soojung, tell your sister to sleep. I'll meet her tomorrow so tell her not to worry," Jinki's voice said.

Jessica sighed heavily. Krystal said over the line, "Hear that, unnie? No need to worry."

 

Jessica was up early in the morning; she was not able to sleep due to what Jinki had joked. She knew the SHINee leader well enough that he is thinking something rather unpleasant. Suddenly, while she just finished wearing her clothes, her doorbell rang. When she looked on who it was, she was surprised that it was Jinki. 

When Jessica opened the door, Jinki saiid with his big smile, "Surprise!"

"How did...?" Jessica asked in shock. She knew that Tyler did something so that no one can know where she is staying.

Jinki just smiled and said, "Finish preparing. We better be out in 5 minutes."