no more: the end

Whispers behind the door

It's been more than a year since he last saw him. The young man wears his black suit and fixes his tie in front of the huge mirror in the dressing room. He looks calm and composed, nothing like the pathetic man whom he thinks he is. 

 

"Sehun-ah, do you think I should wear my watch today? We're wearing suits, will that still be noticed?"

 

"Ah, hyung!" The younger one whines as a sign of complaint to his hyung's question. "You've been asking me about that since yesterday!" 

 

"I'm just checking if you're still with us. I noticed you've been spacing out since yesterday's flight." His tall hyung rests his arm on the younger one's shoulder.

 

"I'm fine, hyung. I actually don't feel anything right now. I'm not thinking about anything." He looks at the man in front of him, one that he sees as a real older brother to reassure him of his state. 

 

The group flew to China yesterday to attend today's music awards ceremony. A lot of famous artists, singers, musicians, and idols are coming to the event, of course, Sehun wouldn't miss the name of his lover on the list. 

 

Since their last meeting, the guy had not been keeping contact with him, so Sehun thinks it's in the gray area to still call him his lover.

 

He might have forgotten just how to breathe as soon as he saw the back of the man he has been wanting to meet, to touch, to hear. He knows that figure, he is more than familiar to that figure whom he always sees. The back of the man he always looks at every time he leaves. 

 

They are sitting four tables away from Luhan, they are seated  with some Korean artists while the other man is with his fellow Chinese actors and actresses. 

 

Sehun thinks that maybe, just maybe, his hyungs also noticed Luhan but they just also chose to ignore him as he is ignoring them. He wallows in his thoughts of how they were once living together and how far they have fallen apart. 

 

 

When he saw the man stood up and went outside the door, he made sure to follow him as quickly and as discreetly as possible. He saw the older man enter the men's comfort room so he followed him. 

 

The look on Luhan's face as he saw Sehun in the reflection of the mirror cannot be described. 

 

"Is it that surprising to see me here, hyung? I don't think you didn't know that we'll also be attending the event." The younger man tries to refrain himself from holding the man and embracing him like how he wants to. 

 

"Why did you follow me here? Go back." Luhan looks at Sehun sternly.

 

"Fine." Sehun raises his eyebrows and went outside the comfort room, to which Luhan's face seems to show his shock at the younger man's action.

 

 

 

When Luhan was about to go back to the auditorium, Sehun pulled him inside the elevator and immediately pressed the button for the highest possible floor. Luhan felt dizzy at the younger's swift movement until he realized what just happened.

 

"What do you think you're doing Sehun?" Luhan's wide eyes were full of panic and emotions that Sehun just can't get the right word for. 

 

"We will not get caught here, you should know that. Everyone's busy with what is going on inside the auditorium. We have to talk." Sehun did not look at the beautiful confused man while delivering his words, not trusting his own heart to back out from his plan. 

 

 

The ride inside the elevator was quiet and full of tension, until they reached the top floor and Sehun ushered the older male out of the suffocating elevator.

 

Luhan tried to compose himself by straightening his suit and closing his eyes for a moment before looking at the man in front of him; pristine, flawless, impeccable, perfect. 

 

 

"Sehun, we both know this is not going to work." His unblinking eyes were hurting him as he was trying not to lose any second to drink the image of this man whom he knows he should not be seeing.

 

"I know. This is why I am asking you to talk to me, so we can end this.. whatever relationship we have, we had, hyung. I don't want this to be an overly dramatic love story from any teenager's novel." Sehun was surprised with himself as he did not burst into tears or just sob in front of the only man whom he loves so dearly. 

 

Luhan inhales deeply before finally dropping the bomb. "I'm going to get married. My parents like her, and they are expecting me to create a new family with her." The older male swallowed all the bitterness that he is feeling while uttering these words. He knew his plans are clearly wrong, but he also know that their relationship is a whole new level of being wrong. 

 

"I'm not going to react as if I'm not surprised and sad at the news, hyung. But I'm also not in the position to selfishly ask you to leave your life and stay with me." The younger's hands are shaking, he feels himself close to breaking down at this point. He knew it would end this way but it doesn't mean it would hurt less. He tried to force a smile, one that Luhan is very aware of. 

 

 

I'm beyond sorry Sehun, I'm not strong and brave enough to fight for us. This is not only hurting you, but me as well. You know I'll always love you. The stars may disappear sometimes due to the clouds in the sky but that doesn't mean they vanished, it was like that for me. My love for you will forever be that star. 

 

If only Luhan could spill those words to Sehun, to comfort him of the pain that they both are feeling right now; but Luhan is also aware that saying those things is like still trying to hold on to the younger with hopes, and he cannot afford to make the young man hope for any chance of them again. 

 

So what Luhan did is just stare at the man in front of him, watch as the memories of them flash before their very eyes and tried not to let his tears drop at any moment. 

 

"So this is farewell." The younger broke the silence engulfing them. He adjusts his tie in the way Luhan remembers he does every time he feels stuffy. 

 

The smaller male bit his lips and nod at the younger man. Before Sehun could turn his back to Luhan, he heard the older man's voice crack with the following words.

 

"Please, be happy." It's lame, Luhan is mindful of that but he can't say longer words with his tongue tied and eyes b with tears. 

 

"I will, hyung" came the short answer of the equally crestfallen male. Sehun walked towards the elevator for the second time that day, he wished he's not entirely sober right now but that will look like he is not accepting the result of their relationship. He fully accepts and does not regret everything from day one. He believes it was a love worth remembering, he believes it was a love worth keeping, though he knows it was a love the world will never know about. 

 

As soon as Sehun disappeared in the elevator leaving Luhan to wallow in his own misery, Luhan noticed where he is right now. The walls of the floor where their relationship ended is a glass wall, how ironic how they could easily see the glimmering lights coming from the establishments and houses outside the tall building, it felt open and extremely closed at the same time. He sobs, weeps until he felt his cold tears drying on his cheeks. The view was beautiful, so is the love that was lost.

 

 

 

We parted without even a kiss, a touch of your hands on my cheeks, your breath merging with mine or your sweet smile which I would drink like a wine. But it's okay. It should be okay.  -Sehun