You Are Loved

You Are Loved

"I wonder what it's like being loved." He says, looking into the vast sky.

You are loved.

"I'm not sure you'd want to know. I mean, having so many girls chasing you isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's really burdensome at times. Like carrying all of those gifts home on White Day because it's so heavy and everyone looks at you." 

He shoves me playfully and settles back into the grass. After a moment of thought, he says, "Must be nice though." 

I look at him. His eyes are closed, and his face is peaceful. His brown hair gleams in the sunlight.

"It's not like you'd have time for a girlfriend anyway. You're always busy singing."

"I guess. Why don't you have a girlfriend Chan? You always talk about the doezens of girls that like you." 

I grin. "No one has really caught my eye I guess. You know, I have really high standards. They'd have to be pretty amazing." Like you.

"What about Sandara? I know she's older but she's super pretty and nice." 

"Nah, I'm not really into older girls."

"What about Taeyeon? I heard she's into you. She's really cute. Plus she has a beautiful smile and an equally beautiful voice." He speaks calmly, but I see his stiffened body.

"No she's not my type."

He relaxes. "Why, Baek, do you like her?" The teasing question catches him off guard, but after a brief pause, he laughs and shakes his head. His dissenting action doesn't change the fact that I can see a tinge of red in his ears.

 

 

His speculation about receiving love amuses me. I suppose it doesn't feel like anything special then. Or maybe it's just my love that isn't anything special.

I have been Baekhyun's friend for years. His best friend, in fact. I have seen him grow into the talented, funny, handsome, long- person that he is today (I'm pretty sure his fingeres weren't that long before). I have comforted him when he was picked on by bullies for being short, gave him strawberries to cheer him up when he got sick, even endured hours and hours of aegyo practice for a girl he liked. I have loved him. 

I warded off girls that were interested in him for only his looks or just those that I felt weren't worthy of him (and there were plenty of those). I have watched over him, given him advice, told him all of my secrets. Well, except for one. 

But I guess all of that means nothing to him. Or not nothing; I know that an assertion like that is unfair. He appreciates it, I know, because he takes them all as friendly gestures. Which to anyone except me would appear true. And he is my friend; he knows me the best and I, him. But he is more than just a friend to me.

Reflecting now, I have come to believe that being love is nothing compared to giving love. It stirs emtions far more in the one bestowing it. The frail and capricious heartbeat. The hitched breath. The involuntary smile. 

Or perhaps it only means less when it's coming from someone whose feelings cannot be reciprocated. Baekhyun's elongated stares at models in magazines speak to that. But it's fine. I'm the one who's different and I can't change his feelings for me. 

 

I am removed from my reverie by the sound of his voice. And such a beautiful voice it is. 

"Hey, I think I have to get home now. I have a test to study for tomorrow and my grade is a little scary right now."

"Okay, Baek, see you later."

He waves and turns away. I bite my lip, take a breath. "Wait, Baekhyun." 

He looks back at me with a sparkling innocence in his eyes. My heart contracts and I sigh ever so slightly. "Do you want me to talk to Taeyeon for you? I'm not interested in her but I think you guys would make a good couple. You could even do a duet or something."

His eyes widen then contract into half-moons. His mouth is turned upwards when he replies jubilantly, "Really? You'd do that for me?"

"Of course." Anything for you.

"Thank you so much Chan! You're the best!" His mellifluous voice is bright and effervescent. He throws his arms around me in gratitude. I pat his back in return. One. Two. Three times. 

I want you to feel loved, Baekhyun. You deserve all the love in the world.