002

The One I Can't Have
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How do you think you did on your exam?" Ji Yoon asked as we walked towards the cafeteria to grab some food. It's already been a week since I've started eating with Ji Yoon and her group of friends. Slowly, I've come to be comfortable around them except one particular person, since he isn't always there. Sometimes I wonder where he could be at.

Though it's none of my business, I just want a way to get close to him, but Ji Yoon says it's not worth it.

"Ji Yoon,"

"Yeah?"

"Why shouldn't I try getting close to Taekwoon?"

Sighing she looked at me with almost saddened eyes. "I can't tell you. Like I've been telling you, just don't try to. You'll spare your time and energy,"

"But why?" I questioned further. I knew I was being stubborn, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to know more about him no matter what.

"Look, if you really want to try getting close to him then go ahead, but don't come running back to me. 'Cause all I'm going to say is 'I told you so'. Alright?"

I didn't understand why she was being that way and why she didn't want me to get close to him. Was he in a gang? Does he do drugs? What could it possibly be? The more I thought about it, the more curious I grew and the more I wanted to know him.

After walking the rest of the way in silence, we finally reached the cafeteria and walked in to find the guys already at the table eating.

"Took you two long enough. Go get your food," Hongbin smiled. We set our bags down and went towards the line to grab our food.

"I just don't understand," I said as I grabbed the large spoon to serve myself some soup.

"What?"

"Taekwoon,"

"Not this again. Just drop it,"

"Fine,"

Huffing, I served myself what I wanted and walked back over to the table. As I set my tray down, I realized I forgot to grab utensils.

"Just great," I hissed. Being the lazy person that I was, I didn't want to walk all the way back just to grab a spoon and chopsticks.

Running my hands through my short hair, I contemplated if it was even worth going all the way back or if I should just take one of the guys utensils. Biting my bottom lip, I ruffled my hair annoyed.

"Here," an unfamiliar voice said. I turn in the direction of the voice to find Taekwoon, handing my chopsticks and a spoon wrapped in a napkin. Although he somewhat whispered, for that was enough to send chills down my spine. It wasn't deep like I was expecting it to be but I was totally fine with that.

"He talks!" Wonshik blurted causing the rest of the guys to laugh. Taekwoon glared at them, shutting them up.

"T-Thank you," I grab the utensils from him. As I do our hands brush against each other causing me to slightly blush at the sudden contact. Surprisingly his hands were super soft. I don't know why but I had an urge of feeling his hands though I knew that was creepy and weird on some many levels.

Pulling away, I touch my hand not wanting the feeling to go away.

"He was actually nice for once," Hongbin snickers as Taekwoon sits down and picks up his own chopsticks. Dumbfounded, I sit down and blankly stare at him because how did he know that I needed them?

"Aren't you going to eat?" Ji Yoon nudged me as she looked at me.

"Y-Yeah," I take the chopsticks and spoon out of the napkin and start eating. The whole time thinking of possible ways of him know what I needed, but in the end, I couldn't come up with anything.

The whole time it was awkward at the table, well for me at least. Ji Yoon was doing most of the talking while I would just nod my head from time to time. Sometimes I would take a short pause before continuing to eat.

It became so awkward that I decided to leave.

"Where are you going?" Ji Yoon said as she grabbed my wrist as I placed my backpack on and was about to grab my tray.

"Library to study," I slightly smiled at her as she sent me a death glare.

Sighing she let go of my wrist and shooed me away. Rolling my eyes I went over to put away my tray before leaving. As I exited the cafeteria, I stopped at the entrance to get one last glance of Taekwoon but when I looked over he was gone.

Disappointed, I grabbed the straps of my bag and walked out of the building and towards the library. My hair flowed with the breeze as I walked down the large sidewalk.

The day was cloudy and a bit chilly. I regretted not wearing a thicker hoody but I knew the temperatures were going to drop later and who knew when I was going to come out of the library.

Taekwoon's POV

To say the least, I've has always been reserved. It was simply in my nature to be so. I've never understood why people have always thought of me to be weird or strange because I have never been able to express myself. In my own way I've expressed myself, so I thought. I was the kind of person to disappear into the shadows and suddenly reappear like nothing, but to some that was scary.

"What are you thinking about?" Wonshik asked as he came up behind me.

I was on the rooftop of one of the buildings overlooking the campus, as I thoughtfully thought of my day and if I really wanted to do my homework. Even if I was weird to most people, I was just an average college student. Worrying about homework assignments and if it was worth my time doing them.

Looking over to Wonshik, he stood beside me looking out into the distance. Honestly, I didn't feel like responding to him so I continued on with my thoughts not really caring if my friend was there or not.

"What do you think about Chae Yeong? She's pretty," Wonshik smirked as he nudged me with his elbow.

The mention of Chae Yeong got my attention. I did find her a little fascinating but I wasn't sure why. With a simply shrug, I raked my long slender fingers through my jet black hair to fix from the breeze.

I wondered why Wonshik even brought her up. In some ways she wasn't significant to worry about, after all, she was a mere human. I even wondered why Ji Yoon hung out so much with her. She like anyone else knew better.

"What about her?" I finally say to Wonshik surprising the latter because I actually said something.

"I mean don't you think she's interesting? I just wonder why Ji Yoon hangs around her so much though? What's so special about Chae Yeong? She's pretty but she's a human," Wonshik shoved his hands into his front pockets as he continued to look out in the distance.

I wasn't sure how to actually respond to that, nor did I want to. I should just keep my opinion and thoughts to myself.

Even if I said something, it wouldn't change anything. 

Wonshik looked over at me and smirked a little.

"But I think she likes you,"

Snapping my head to look at Wonshik, I was dumbfounded to his remark.

Why does he think that?

"Why?"

"It's kind of obvious from her. Ever since she's joined us for lunch, she only stares at you and doesn't really talk until you come," Wonshik pointed out.

That would make sense why I always felt like I was being watched whenever I was eating. I really thought it was something else. The corners of my mouth slightly lifted with amusement.

She's really something.

"What do you think about her?" I asked this time as the breeze picked up some.

"Like I said she's pretty but I wouldn't go after her. She's not really my type," he shrugged.

I simply nodded, since I really didn't have anything to say to that.

After a while. of just standing there and not talking to each other as we stared off into the distance, Wonshik turned to face me.

"I better get going. I have a test this week and I need to really study," Wonshik said as he clapped me on the shoulder. "Oh, you dropped this by the way. Be careful next time," Wonshik smirked as he handed me a single black feather. I looked at him confused wondering why he would say that. Wonshik smirked at me before leaving. Once he left, I was all alone once again, much to my liking.

Looking at the feather and it was bigger than normal crows' feathers so I placed the feather in my backpack before turning my attention back to the horizon.

It was already getting dark as the sun set, creating a beautiful orange glow on the horizon. I absolutely loved it when it was dark, I felt more at peace in the darkness. As the last rays of the sun shone through, it was already getting pretty cold as the wind picked up even more than before.

Deciding that I too needed to study, I picked up my back and went towards the door that lead to the staircase to go down.

As I reached the bottom, I made my exit from the staircase and made my way out of the building. Heading towards the library that wasn't too far from where I was, I was really enjoying the night. It was simply perfect, especially with the dimly lit campus and swaying trees and plants. The wind made the trees rustle as I walked towards the library. Many would find that to be creepy since it was dark and all, but for me I found it so comforting.

Reaching the library that was brightly lit, I went inside and was greeted with the smell of books and coffee mingled together. I was surprised that there were so many people in the library at such a late hour. I had thought that by now they would have already returned to their dorms, but obviously, I was very wrong. So I went around looking for an empty seat. I really didn't want to go upstairs to find a spot, I would rather stay on the first floor.

I hope I can find a seat.

As I went around a corner to see if there were any empty spots, I saw a familiar figure reading a book intently with headphones in. Nearing her, I realized it was Choi Chae Yeong. Slightly surprised I was able to find a seat at the end of the table that she was sitting at.

Setting my backpack down, I went to grab some coffee before starting to study for my own exam that week. I really needed some caffeine in my system to stay awake for the long night ahead.

Going back towards the entrance, I got into the line of the cafe and looked at the menu as to what I should order. After much contemplation, I finally decided what I wanted and by then I was already next.

"What can I get you sir?" the cashier asked me. I lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter