001

The One I Can't Have
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He had a quiet demeanor, a mysterious vibe, everything about him was perfect, almost godlike. It was something that I just couldn't explain, something I couldn't put my finger on. Discreetly, I stared at him as I tapped my pen on my chin. I should be paying attention in class but he was my distraction—he just had to be perfect.

As I tilted my head to the side and propped my elbow up on the small desk in the lecture room, the professor sighed in annoyance as she looked at her watch.

"Class is already over. We will continue this discussion in the next class. Remember to do your homework it's due by the end of the week," she reminded us as most of the students already had their belongings packed left the room.

Since I was distracted the whole time, I had to quickly place my notebook and pen inside my backpack. As I zipped up my bag, I noticed that he had already left the room—much to my disappointment.

How did he leave so fast?

I got up from my desk and made my way out of the classroom and into the hallway hoping to maybe catch a glimpse of him but he was already gone.

Sighing, I walked down the hallway towards the exit of the building. I had promised my best friend, Oh Ji Yoon, that I'd meet her in the front of the school. Though now I was regretting my choices.

Walking out of the building, my mind wandered off thinking about him. I wondered why he was so quiet and reserved, why he appeared to be so mean and cold though he's perfect, by my standards at least.

So lost in my thoughts, I didn't even realize that someone was standing right in front of me until it was too late and I ran right into their back.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to. I wasn't paying atten-" I trailed off as I looked up and the person I ran into turned around to look down at me.

Suddenly my heart started racing as my hands became clammy. Gulping, I wipe my hands on my jeans as I try to make eye contact with him but I just couldn't. Mostly because if I do, I think I would just stare at him and make the situation even more awkward than it already is.

"I-I'm sorry," I say quickly as I bow. His expression didn't waver one bit, though. 

He really must be an ice prince or something.

He simply nodes without even saying anything! I don't know what I was even expecting from him, I should know that he's this way but still I'm pretty shocked.

I tilt my head in confusion at him and he simply looks at me, probably wondering why I'm still standing there.

"Are you not going to say anything?" I ask him even though I was the one who ran into him.

He just shrugs with the same expression. 

He really must be expressionless...

"A-Alright. Well, I better go," I say awkwardly as I go on though I was mentally freaking out but also very much confused.

Once I reached the front of the school, I found Ji Yoon waiting by the fountain. Walking up to her she turns around and pouts at me as soon as she sees me approaching. As I reach her she glaring at me at this point and I couldn't help but laugh at her.

"What took you so long?! I've been waiting here for like five minutes!" she whines as she grabs my arm and pulls me forward.

"Sorry. I would have been earlier but I kind of ran into someone," I chuckle a little as I rub the back of my head.

"Silly. What were you thinking about?"

I wasn't sure if I should tell her who it was it. I mean sure she's my best friend but she has a big mouth and I'm afraid she's going to go around telling the whole school who I like. Certainly, I did not want that.

Taking a deep breath, I look at her and she looks at me questioningly but also with a curious expression.

"You remember when I told you about that guy in my class?"

"There are many," she giggles.

"Yah!" It was my turn to pout at her.

"Sorry," she pats my hand as we continue to walk down the sidewalk towards the street to catch a taxi. "You were saying,"

"Anyway, that guy with the piercing eyes. He's quiet and expressionless," Honestly, I didn't even know his name.

"Oh, you mean Jung Taekwoon?" she asked.

I turned my head towards her. 

How did she know his name? 

"H-How do you know that?"

She shrugged. "I know one of his very few friends,"

Honestly, I didn't know what to say to her. She was seriously full of surprises. Maybe I didn't know her like I thought I did, but that was beside the matter.

"What do you want to know about him?" she asked raising an eyebrow at me as we continued walking down the sidewalk.

"Everything,"

She laughed full heartily at me, which caused me to become confused because I didn't know what was so funny.

"Oh sweety, there is too much about him. Why don't you ask about the basic stuff? Like... I don't know, his favorite food? Or favorite color?"

I glare at her because she knows exactly what I want to know, but for some reason, she's pushing it away. I wonder why...

"I don't want to know about the basic stuff,"

She stops in her tracks and crosses her arms as she mean mugs me.

"Honey, you want to know the basic stuff. You don't know what you might get yourself into," she flips her hair before walking forward to grab my arm and we continue on our way.

"What do you mean I don't know what I might get myself into?"

I could tell she was turning red before she lets out a small laugh.

"I was just saying," she said as she looks away. "Oh look a taxi! Come on!" she pulls me forward to catch the waiting taxi.

She was hiding something, and that only fueled my curiosity even more. There had to be more to Taekwoon than meets the eye, but what could that be? He became more and more interesting the more I heard about him or the more I saw him. I was determined to get to the bottom of this.

 

"Ji Yoon," I nudged her as we drank beer and ate hot wings at a restaurant.

"Yeah?"

Taking a deep breath, I wasn't sure if I should even ask her. I wasn't sure how she would react if I asked her more about Taekwoon, but the curiosity was killing me inside and the more I thought about him the more anxious I became.

He really gained my full attention and now there was no going back. I just had to know more.

"About Taekwoon," I look down trying my hardest to avoid her judging look.

Hearing her sigh, I knew. I just knew she was judging me but was trying to hide it because she was my best friend after all.

"What about him?" she finally said after what seemed like a really long minute.

"What is he like? Does he even talk?" I looked at her hoping to get at least a decent response from her.

She reached for her beer g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter