For the Best

Fatalis Dilemma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

before the new chapter starts: thank you for all your suggestions last chapter! i have read every comment and debated a lot. in the end, i love what i had written in chapter 27-28 too much to delete them. i love the emotions i was able to convey in the chapters, and how they turned out. so, i shall continue on with chapter 29, like most of you had suggested. but fear not--my original story shall be kept! i will do my best to bridge the new events into the story with what i had envisioned, and the ending won't be changed! i actually thought up a way to speed the process up, so the thing with sowon's father won't be delayed, either! yay!

now enjoy reading! ^^

 

 

 

 

Sowon is playing with a train set on the living room floor as Sehun sits in the kitchen, watching him. They’re at his parents’ home for the weekend, and his mother is slicing some vegetables while his father is watching TV on the couch.

Sehun’s mind is still a mess.

“Mother…” he starts, just a whisper.

“Hmn?”

“…Kai came back.”

His mother immediately stops, sets the knife down to look at him. “What?”

“Kai… came back to Korea…”

“That bastard did?” his mother hisses.

“Mother!”

“What, it’s true! He left you without a word for five years―while you were pregnant! You were sixteen!”

“In his defense, he didn’t know…” He still doesn’t know, he silently adds.

“Yes, but―he put you through hell! It was amazing you were able to finish school and graduated after Sowon was born. You were so exhausted back then… Do you remember how thin you were and how many times you had fainted due to overworking, taking care of both Sowon and your studies?”

Sehun does, and those times were hard, but… Sehun had continued living for Sowon’s sake, and the hope that he could meet Kai again, so he doesn’t look back at those times as bitter memories.

Anyway, that’s besides the point now.

“You know I never held it against him,” he reminds her.

“Because you’re a hopeless fool for that boy,” his mother sighs.

Sehun chuckles, “Yes.”

“So he had come back? How did you know? You met him?”

“The company I work for is owned by his father. My boss, the president, is his brother, actually…”

“Is that so?” The woman is clearly surprised. “Then what? Did you talk to him? Did you… tell him?”

About Sowon, she means.

Sehun shakes his head. “No, not… A lot of things happened. I had no chance.”

“What about him? How is he, towards you? Did he ever explain the reasons why he left you?”

“No…” He was about to, but then he got into the car accident, Sehun sighs. “But I think… I think he still loves me. He wants us to get back together…”

His mother is surprised, once again, but that expression quickly turns for the better. “Isn’t that―Isn’t this good? You love him, he loves you. Get back together and tell him about Sowon, and―”

“But I…” Sehun laces his fingers together, gaze down. “I love someone else now.”

Sehun guesses it’s a good thing his mother has dropped the knife, for she bangs her hands on the table upon hearing. “What!”

“Grandma?” Sowon glances up at them, eyes wide. His father also raises an eyebrow.

“N―Nothing, dear. Grandma almost slips while cutting this carrot, is all.”

“Be careful, grandma!”

“Yes, of course. I’ll be done in a bit then we can all eat dinner together, hmn?”

“Okey!” Satisfied, Sowon turns his attention back to the toy train.

His mother, however, scurries towards him, settling onto the chair nearby, and whispers in an urgent voice. “What do you mean you love someone else now? Who? How?”

“It’s―” Sehun winces. “It’s a long story…”

“No story is long enough for you to not let me know!” his mother scolds. “How did this come to be? I thought you love Kai!”

“I do, but…” A sigh. “I don’t know. I’m not sure if I love Kai because he was the only thing I could hold onto, to keep me going strong, all these years. That my happiness was based on reuniting with him and becoming a happy family, all three of us.”

“Even if that’s true, isn’t that a good thing?”

“It is, but… I met someone new… And I realized that… this world is big, mother. That I was just… hiding inside my shell. Afraid to look for new chances. Clinging onto the past. But he showed me that if I’d just let myself, there are more chances at happiness awaiting me.”

His mother only stares at him disbelievingly. “And who is this… this someone new?”

“It’s Jongin…”

“Jongin? That name sounds familiar…”

“It’s my, umn… boss. The president.”

“The president… Wait, didn’t you say Kai is the brother of your boss? You’re in love with Kai’s brother?”

“I know. It’s messed up.” He clutches his head with both hands, squeezing his eyes shut.

“I’m honestly at a loss for words, Sehun.”

“I know…”

“And this―this Jongin. Does he love you?”

“I… I don’t know,” Sehun whispers, rubbing his eyes tiredly. “I thought he did. We went out for a few months. But then he broke up with me.”

“You went out with your boss? Why do you not tell me these things―”

“Mother―”

“Alright, I’ll save that for another day,” she relents, huffing. “So why did he break up with you?”

“He said Kai is better for me…”

“Kai is better for you?” she repeats. “What does that mean?”

“I wish I know…”

“Hold on, so to summarize… Kai is still in love with you, but you love Jongin now, but Jongin doesn’t want you?”

“I guess so.”

“Do you… Do you not love Kai anymore?”

“I do, but… It doesn’t feel right,” he confesses. “Because I was going out with Jongin. And I feel like―like Jongin is giving me back to Kai. I’m not a toy. They can’t just push me back and forth between them. I had decided on Jongin. I wanted to start over. Why has it become like this?”

The more he talks, the more frustrated he becomes. Anger―and Sehun rarely ever gets angry. Because this―

What is this?

Kai left him for five years only to come back with a new lover in Kyungsoo. Jongin said he wanted to heal Sehun’s pain and be there for him, but now wants to give him back to Kai. And Kai forgot his memories of the past five years and wants to be together again?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter