Chapter 6 - The Course of True Love Never Did Run Smooth

Real | Reel | Real

19 February 2013 2:25 AM

 

“So what happened?” Kwang Soo asked in shock.  He was sitting across from Joong Ki, who was next to a half-asleep In Sung.  The three of them were in a private room at a restaurant in Itaewon.  The owner was a friend and this was one of the few places where they could relax without the paparazzi hounding them.  The remains of dinner, as well as assorted bottles of beer and soju, were scattered around the table.  In Sung had a rare day off from the shooting of his TV drama and Kwang Soo and Joong Ki had taken him for a night out on the town.  Now, as the evening wound down, Joong Ki finally shared with them exactly what happened 5 nights ago.

 

“What do you think happened?”  Joong Ki replied even as the memories flashed through his mind yet again.

 

He had gotten to the mountain cabin a little after 8 pm, expecting to find his grandparents but instead finding an embarrassed Hye Kyo calmly waiting for him.  As he looked around the cabin and Hye Kyo gave him the note left by his grandparents, he swore that he turned redder than the fire that was blazing at the far end of the room.

 

“I…I am so sorry…for all of this,” he stammered.  He had no idea what had gotten into his grandparents.  He was shocked, embarrassed, and mortified that he was standing here, in front of the most beautiful woman on the planet, not knowing whether he should kill or thank his grandparents. 

 

Hye Kyo couldn’t help but laugh at Joong Ki’s reaction since it was the exactly same feeling that she had experienced not 30 minutes earlier.  “Look, I really don’t know what to do or say because…frankly…I’ve never been set up by two septuagenarians before!  But they did put in quite a bit of effort to get us together like this, and I’m not about to let all that delicious food go to waste, so why don’t we just enjoy dinner and see what happens?”

 

The sound of Hye Kyo’s laughter, and her melodious voice, put a spell on Joong Ki and he gradually relaxed.  He helped her bring the dishes to the table and they sat down to a truly delicious meal.  By the time they were finishing the last bits of dessert, Joong Ki felt the familiar smile on his face and he knew he looked like an idiot, but he could not get rid of it.

 

“Sunbae, again, I really apo…”  Joong Ki started, only to have Hye Kyo interrupt him.

 

“Don’t you think we’re beyond that at this point in time?  Your sunbae is also your hyung, In Sung oppa.” Hye Kyo said.  “With everything that has happened in the last two years…Hye Kyo…just call me Hye Kyo.”

 

If Joong Ki’s smile had gotten any brighter, it would have turned night into day.  He knew that he looked ridiculous in front of her just then, but he didn’t care.  Her simple gesture gave him the courage to push ahead.

 

“So…sunb…er…Hye Kyo…where…where does this leave us?  What are we, exactly?” He said as he stared into her wonderfully beautiful brown eyes.

 

“Stop.”  Kwang Soo interrupted his friend, unceremoniously jerking Soong Ki back to the present.  “You can’t pursue her.”

 

“Wha…what?!” Soong Ki stammered.  “What are you talking about?”

 

“She’s older than you…she’s your sunbae…you cannot date her.” Kwang Soo said again, this time more firmly. 

 

In Sung, who had been silent up till now, stared silently at Kwang Soo for a very long minute before interrupting.  “Kwang Soo…it’s okay…I don’t see anything wrong in….”

 

“NO.” Kwang Soo almost shouted.  “It is not right.  Song Hye Kyo is off-limits.”

 

And with that, the conversation ended.  Both Joong Ki and In Sung were too shocked by Kwang Soo’s outburst to argue.

 

 

SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK 

 

23 February 2013 10:35 AM

 

In Sung could tell that his friend was not happy.  Ever since their dinner with Joong Ki a few nights ago, Kwang Soo has been moody, argumentative, and irritating to be around.  In Sung knew the reason for Kwang Soo’s behavior, but there was not that could change it, could fix the situation.  Not after all this time.

 

“You were pretty harsh on Joong Ki the other night,” In Sung stated simply.  “It’s not his fault he’s madly in love with her.  We all are.”

 

“She belongs with you.” Kwang Soo said, almost at a whisper. 

 

“She deserves to be happy.  He makes her laugh.  He’s fun to be around.”  In Sung countered.  “She deserves to be happy…finally.”

 

“She was happy…with you.” Kwang Soo declared with conviction.  “You were her first love and the love of her life.  And you will love her until your very last breath on this Earth.  I will never, ever believe that those feelings…the love that the two of you have…is gone.”

 

In Sung didn’t reply for a long time but instead just stared into the distant mountains outside his window.  After all, he couldn’t deny the truth.  Finally, he turned to look at Kwang Soo.  “It is gone.  I traded it for our lives.  The only goal I have left is to see that Hye Kyo gets the happy life she deserves.  And if that means she is with Joong Ki, then I’m going to do everything I can to give that to her.”