Chapter 4 - The Road Not Taken

Real | Reel | Real

11 October 2012 10:17 PM

 

“So that’s a yes?” The director asked the two stars sitting opposite him.  It had been a long and torturous negotiation process, but Kim Kyu Tae felt that he finally had his couple for the new drama That Winter, The Wind Blows.  He had worked with each star previously at different times, and when he was given this script, he immediately began pursuing them.  There were no other actors in Korea, heck, in all of Asia, that he could see filling the roles except the two in front of him right now, Song Hye Kyo and Jo In Sung.  He had been cajoling, begging, nagging, bribing, and even blackmailing both stars’ agencies, managers, and staff for the better part of 5 months now in order to get to this point.  For this final meeting, he had rented out the most exclusive restaurant in Seoul for the entire night, just for the 3 of them to talk and to finalize the deal. 

 

“Yes.” Both Hye Kyo and In Sung answered at the same time, bringing a huge grin to the director’s face.  Kyu Tae was about to jump for joy when Hye Kyo added.  “But…we have to warn you.  You’re going to have to put up with us…with how we treat each other.”

 

Kyu Tae hesitated for a bit.  Surely these two aren’t dating.  He didn’t even know that they were acquainted with each other until he started talking with them about this project.  “What…are you two…”  He left the question open-ended, not knowing quite how to ask.

 

“No, nothing like that,” In Sung answered, reading the director’s mind.  “You see, Hye Kyo and I are very close friends, like brother and sister, you could say.  She’s the nagging, bratty, spoiled, opinionated younger sister that I never had and I am the protective, benevolent, understanding, wiser older brother who will kill anyone who tries to date her again.”

 

In Sung earned a hard slap on the shoulder from Hye Kyo for that last comment and Kyu Tae was relieved that he didn’t wasn’t going to have to deal with another potential scandal.  The irony was not lost on him, but that was better addressed at another time.

 

Kyu Tae left the conversation at that, wanting to leave before his leads changed their minds.  “Great!  I’ll send over the contracts in the morning.  Please, stay here and enjoy the rest of the night.  Anything you want, just tell the staff.”

 

In Sung and Hye Kyo just laughed at him as Kyu Tae scurried out, leaving just the two of them and the restaurant staff of 20 at their beck and call.  In Sung politely asked for some dessert and a bottle of the ‘93 Dom Pérignon Oenothèque to celebrate.  Hye Kyo sat back in her chair, contemplating what actually working with In Sung would be like.

 

“Can we pull this off?” Hye Kyo asked as she sipped on the champagne that In Sung had poured for her moments earlier.  “I mean…you, me…the role of lovers….No offense, oppa, but you are my older, much older brother.”

 

“Of course we can.  You’re drop-dead gorgeous, I’m dashingly handsome, we’ll have Korea eating out of our hands.”  In Sung said in an overly formal tone, maintaining his composure for a few seconds before dissolving into laughter with Hye Kyo. 

 

In Sung finally turned serious after their desserts had been served.  “The question for you, my younger bratty sister, is how you will handle it if a certain other Song starts hanging around the set too often.”

 

Hye Kyo didn’t reply immediately, instead she took a few bites of her dessert and drank more of her champagne. 

 

“I don’t want to see either one of you get hurt.” In Sung continued quietly.  He knew of the early morning coffee conversations that had become a habit for her during the last year, he knew about skating at the country cabin, he knew about the bakeries and the bars in Itaewon.  Hye Kyo had shared everything with him, asking for his guidance from time to time.  “And I was serious earlier, I will kill anyone who hurts you again.”

 

“You have nothing to worry about, Oppa.” Hye Kyo finally replied.  “I’ve learned my lesson.  No more mixing business with pleasure.” 

 

In Sung took a sip from his own champagne glass and sighed.  “Are you trying to convince me or yourself?”

 

 

SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK |

 

 

01 November 2012 2:40 PM

 

“I…think…you…killed…him,” In Sung managed to gasp out in between fits of laughter and coughing.

 

Lee Kwang Soo could not understand the scene before him.  Song Hye Kyo was kneeling over the crumpled frame of Song Joong Ki, who was on the floor in pain, holding the side of his head.  The instrument that appeared to be the cause his pain was a frying pan that lay discarded to the side.  Even as Hye Kyo kept apologizing over and over to Joong Ki, In Sung was on the couch in uncontrollable laughter. 

 

“Oh my G-D!  I am so sorry!!” Hye Kyo repeated, now cradling Joong Ki’s head and examining it for injury.  She was horrified when she realized that she had made a keep cut in his scalp.  “Oh G-d…you’re bleeding…we need to get you to the hospital!”

 

“Damn woman, what the $*$^#%@&$%#!?” Joong Ki finally stammered out as he regained his senses.  He and Lee Kwang Soo had decided to visit In Sung, who was bed-ridden with the flu, and bring him some ginseng chicken soup that Kwang Soo’s sister had made.  One minute he was opening the door to In Sung’s house while Kwang Soo got the soup from the car, and the next minute he was on the floor, seeing stars and his head feeling as if it had exploded.

 

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry!  I thought you were trying to break into the house!” Hye Kyo explained even as she used her sweatshirt as a temporary bandage. 

 

“By using a key to open the front door!?!” Joong Ki almost shouted, and the instantly regretted as another wave of pain shot through his head.

 

Between In Sung and Kwang Soo, they were able to help Joong Ki to the car and get him to the hospital.  Hye Kyo had been right to be cautious.  Joong Ki had a concussion and the cut on his head needed stitches.  He was admitted to the hospital for at least 1 night for observation. 

 

“Hye Kyo, remember what I said to you when we met with Kim Kyu Tae, that I would kill anyone who tried to date you again?” In Sung said as he was finally able to eat the chicken soup that Kwang Soo’s sister had made for him.  They had left Joong Ki sleeping at the hospital and were now back at In Sung’s house.  Kwang Soo had finally gone home, bewildered by the afternoon’s events. 

 

“Yes?” Hye Kyo knew this would be another of In Sung’s jokes, but she played along.

 

“I didn’t mean that he should be killed before he even tried to ask you out.” In Sung said calmly, earning a slap in the back of the head from his younger sister.