Chapter 14 - I Must Be Cruel, Only To Be Kind

Real | Reel | Real

05 October 2013 11:15 AM

 

“Oh my G-d,” Hye Kyo whispered as the full impact of what Kwang Soo told her registered in her mind. The two of them were in the private VIP waiting lounge at Seoul National University hospital, waiting for In Sung as he underwent a checkup with the doctors. Hye Kyo had gradually gotten the story, the real story, of her history during the past week, but it was only this morning that Kwang Soo told her the final chapter in that story…of that terrible night so long ago, of the impossible choice that Alan Song had forced In Sung to make, of the guilt that In Sung had carried with him all these years.

 

“But…but it wasn’t his fault,” Hye Kyo reasoned.  “He had no choice…he had to do what he did.”

 

Kwang Soo sighed as he nodded his head. “I know that, everyone knows that, but In Sung didn’t…he doesn’t see it that way. He’s convinced that he doesn’t deserve to be with you because of what he did. And that’s why he’s been by your side but at arm’s length all these years. He still loves you. He’s never loved anyone else. But he’s made up his mind to never act on it…to help you find your own happiness without him. That’s why he has been so supportive with your relationship with Joong Ki.”

 

The mention of Joong Ki brought Hye Kyo back to reality, or at least a version of it. So much has happened that she barely remembered that he had to fit into all of this…somehow. “Does…does Joong Ki know any of this?”

 

“No. And he can’t find out either.” Kwang Soo waited. He knew that Hye Kyo was in shock at what he had told her, but he could also see that she was processing, thinking, analyzing. He had never given up hope that In Sung would change his mind and now maybe, just maybe, Kwang Soo had an opportunity to convince In Sung, with Hye Kyo’s help. He knew there would be consequences that would send shockwaves through their world, but he didn’t want to focus on that just yet. The most important thing to Kwang Soo was to try to get In Sung to change his mind.

 

“That bastard…he has no right…In Sung has no right to make this kind of decision for himself, for the two of us.” Hye Kyo stated with a controlled measure of anger in her voice. Fifteen years…she had been living a lie for the past 15 years…all because In Sung had some foolish notion of guilt running inside his head.

 

“Wha…what?!” Kwang Soo started. He had expected many reactions from Hye Kyo, but anger was not one of them.

 

“Kwang Soo, I need to ask you for a favor,” Hye Kyo replied with a look of determination in her eyes that the younger man had never seen before.

 

 

SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK |

 

07 October 2013 7:40 PM

 

“You’re a jerk, you know that?!” Hye Kyo said calmly as she sat opposite In Sung at the dinner table. She had been fuming for the past 2 days, since Kwang Soo revealed the final piece of the story to her. She still couldn’t quite believe it. How In Sung had been able to stay by her side, to be her friend, to protect her, and yet never to give her even a hint of his true feelings, was incomprehensible to her. But she was also furious that he chose this path without her. He had robbed her of their past, of 15 years that could have been their lives, all because he had this ridiculous notion of chivalry and guilt.

 

In Sung’s hand froze in mid-air and he looked at Hye Kyo, unsure if she was kidding or not. The face that greeted him was one of anger, consternation, and steely resolve. He was unsure how to reply, so he did what he did best…he acted. “Why am I a jerk?”

 

“Because you robbed us, robbed me, of 15 years.” Hye Kyo stated calmly, continuing to eat her dinner. “Did you think I was just going to forget everything, forget us? Did you think that none of those feelings would surface some day?”

 

Stunned at Hye Kyo’s accusation, In Sung didn’t know what to say, or do, as he stared at her.

 

“We…we are not having this conversation,” In Sung finally stammered as he got up to leave the table. “I…I don’t know what Kwang Soo told you, but….”

 

“No, you don’t have the right to walk away from me right now,” Hye Kyo answered, again in the calmest of voices as she caught up with In Sung and grabbed his arm, gently turning him around to face her. “You almost died for me…twice. You’ve sacrificed your own happiness for me. You’ve protected me without me even knowing about it for the past 15 years.”

 

By now, Hye Kyo had both of her arms around In Sung as she could see the anguish in his face with each word that she uttered.

 

She knew this was going to be torture for the both of them, but she also knew that it needed to be done. She was going to force him to talk with her. She was going to hang onto him while doing it. They were going to face the truth together. “In Sung…look at me. LOOK AT ME. It wasn’t your fault. You MADE the right choice.”

 

“How…how can you say that?!” In Sung almost spat out, still trying to pull away and unable to look at her in the eyes until she gently pulled his chin down to look directly at her, their foreheads almost touching. He could feel himself losing control, but he was helpless as she continued to hold him, not letting him escape. “I love you more than anything in the world, more than life itself. And…and I left you to die! I chose to save strangers instead of you! I chose strangers over the woman I was going to marry!”

 

“You chose 4 lives over 1 life. Do you understand? You saved Kwang Soo’s entire family. You saved 4 people from that madman. Kwang Soo and his entire family are alive today because of you. Don’t you understand that?! And you still got to me in time.  You DID save me.” Hye Kyo continued as she held onto In Sung. She could feel him trying to pull away, trying to avoid her, but she wasn’t going to let him go, not now…not ever.

 

“No I didn’t!! I was too late! He shot you…I let that bastard shoot you and throw you into the Han River!” In Sung was almost shouting by now. He had sworn to himself that he would never have this conversation with Hye Kyo, and yet here they were. He didn’t deserve her understanding; he didn’t deserve her forgiveness. He had forsaken her, the love of his life, for total strangers. “How…how could I do that? How could I let him do that to you?!”

 

“But you saved me. You jumped into the river after me and you saved me! You got me to the hospital. YOU SAVED ME. I would have died in that water if you hadn’t gone after me! Don’t you understand that?!” Hye Kyo said, again in the gentlest of voices as she pulled In Sung into her, hugging his trembling body with all her might. The psychiatrists had told her that she needed to be gentle and firm as she forced In Sung to confront their past, and she was determined to succeed.

 

It was the gentlest of kisses at first, just a feather wafting across his lips. In Sung could feel Hye Kyo turn her head up and touch their lips together. The kiss grew stronger and deeper as she firmly held his head and pulled him down to her. His head was screaming to pull away, to run as far as he can. He had no right to this, to ask for or receive her love. He had betrayed her all those years ago, he didn’t deserve her. But In Sung’s heart was also screaming, as if it was finally free after 15 years. He felt as if his heart was betraying him as he pulled Hye Kyo closer, finally returning her kiss with all the passion, with all the hidden emotions, of the past 15 years…and before.

 

So engrossed were they that they failed to notice the bodyguard and the new guest who were staring at them, mouths agape.

 

“What…what the hell is going on here?!” Joong Ki finally blurted out.