Chapter 16 - It Is Not In The Stars To Hold Our Destiny But In Ourselves

Real | Reel | Real

22 December 2013 9:20 AM

 

The silence in the room was deafening. It had been a little more than 2 months since Joong Ki had been unceremoniously removed from Hye Kyo’s house and then shipped off to Beijing by the Korean army for reasons that are still unknown to him. Since then, he had not heard from either Hye Kyo or In Sung. His army duties kept him busy on most days, and when he did have a little free time, he could not bring himself to make a call, the call, to either one of them. He wanted to know and yet he was scared to death of the knowledge. The last time he had seen them, the woman he loved was in the arms of and passionately kissing his best friend, his older brother.

 

“You’re not going to say anything?” Hye Kyo asked gently as Joong Ki continued to stare at her, at the gift that she was holding out to him. The study of the ambassador’s residence at the South Korean embassy was as private a place as she was going to get in Beijing to talk with the man who had stolen her heart. To say the circumstances that had trapped all of them were beyond comprehension was an understatement, but Hye Kyo knew that they could only take one step at a time to resolve things. She knew that she had hurt Joong Ki deeply with the fiasco at her house, but there had been no other way. Joong Ki had shown up at the worst possible moment back in October. She had to break down the barriers with In Sung if they were going to survive, and at that point in time In Sung’s health was more important to Hye Kyo than anything else, including her relationship with Joong Ki.

 

“I…I don’t understand,” Joong Ki finally reacted. “What…what are you doing here?”

 

“I’m here to see you. Don’t you remember what today is?” Hye Kyo replied slowly, trying to gauge his reaction. She knew this was a gamble that she was taking, but she didn’t want to delay this any longer. She wanted to set things right with Joong Ki. The NIS, and even Kwang Soo’s father, Detective Lee, had been against this, saying that it was too dangerous given that Alan Song had still not been caught yet. But Hye Kyo and In Sung had overruled them. They both care deeply for Joong Ki and he deserved an explanation…he deserved to know the truth.

 

“If you don’t remember what today is, I’m just going to….”

 

“Exactly 2 years ago today…a little after 7 in the morning…that coffee shop tucked away in the little corner…that bastard Hyun Bin was harassing you….” Joong Ki heard himself mumble, but he couldn’t help it. Despite what had happened, he was still absolutely and hopelessly in love with the angel standing before him. And then all reasoning left him as suddenly found her in his arms, kissing him, hugging him, holding onto him for dear life. They melded perfectly into each other’s embrace, as if they were made for each other. He could feel her trembling and he pulled her closer, never wanting to let go.

 

When they finally came up for air, Hye Kyo saw the unasked question on Joong Ki’s face, and she answered it the only way she knew how. “Yes, I love Jo In Sung, with all my heart. But I’m in love with Song Joong Ki, with all my heart and soul.”

 

 

SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK | SJK SHK |

 

30 December 2013 11:20 PM

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Joong Ki asked again, still not understanding why or how his best friend had suffered all these years without showing so much as an ounce of feeling. He always knew that In Sung was a good actor, a much better actor than he could ever be, but he really had no idea through all these years just how good. Still stunned at the incredible tale that Hye Kyo had told him just a week ago, Joong Ki had used his army leave time and had sought out In Sung the minute he arrived back in Seoul. Bottles of soju littered In Sung’s dining room table, evidence that the 2 friends had been drinking for most of the evening.

 

“What was I supposed to say?” In Sung replied. He knew that the slight buzz he was getting from the alcohol was making it easier for him to talk with Joong Ki, but he still struggled to maintain control. “I’ve lived this nightmare and I can’t explain it to myself, much less to anyone else. How was I supposed to tell you that we’re paying for the sins of our fathers? You and your family, with the exception of your grandfather, didn’t even know that your uncle Alan was still alive, after all these years. How could I explain anything to you when Hye Kyo herself doesn’t remember the hell she went through?”

 

“But…hyung…I could have helped…somehow.” Joong Ki pushed, earnest and sincere. He had been shocked at the story…but that shock had turned into anger, and then rage. He couldn’t believe that In Sung, and Hye Kyo, had all suffered because of this monster. He couldn’t believe that such a madman was related to him, was actually the son of his grandparents.

 

“Just take care of Hye Kyo, that’s how you can help,” In Sung replied, squinting a little at the slight pain that still coursed through his shoulder. His doctors had warned him the nerve damage meant that he would have this little nuisance on and off for the rest of his life.

 

“About that,” Joong Ki started. He had no idea how to discuss the woman that he loves, that both of them love, with the man sitting across from him. Beyond his immediate visceral reaction of shock and anger, time and the truth had given him the chance to understand, if not necessarily accept, what had happened. “I…how…I mean…where do we go from here?”

 

In Sung couldn’t help but smile at his younger friend. Even now, the innocence and honesty shone through Joong Ki despite himself. In Sung knew that his own feelings for Hye Kyo didn’t matter, that he had to do everything he could to make sure that she was happy. “Look at me, Song Joong Ki, and listen very carefully to what I’m going to say. The Hye Kyo that I loved died in the Han River on that night long ago. She’s gone forever. The Hye Kyo that I love today is my younger sister. And that Hye Kyo loves you…she’s in love with you. Now, Private Song, if you do anything stupid to ruin that, I’m going to kick your .”

 

The 2 men stared at each other for along moment, and then Joong Ki let out a hearty laugh as he saluted in reply. “Sir, yes sir.”