AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

TIMELESS

SUNGGYU POV

I put my bag on the desk in my room. Hoya and Dongwoo still chatting outside at living room but I don’t have any interest to join them. Both of the rappers would be in their own world and I just don’t want to meddle between them.

I sat on my bed before laying my tired body to rest but my mind actively flashing back all the things that happened in practice room. I knew that woohyun was just pretending when he said that he was stressed with their comeback. Truth is, I knew everything. Woohyun likes to lie but not to me. Because he can’t. Because I always know when he is lying. His mouth will say the lie but his eyes always speak the truth. His eyes will tell me everything even though I never asked. I have live long enough to study about people and their feeling because their eyes is the mirror of their heart. So, I knew when he will be serious and when he is not. And the promise that he made before was just a lie to make me believe that he was okay. Because I could see everything from his eyes.

Honestly, I could sense it since he tried to escape from everyone in the practice room. I know that the members were so shocked and afraid of what woohyun has done. Woohyun was not the one who will let the others see his weakness. He is always the strongest among all of us despite the fact that he always cries. It was not that he is weak but he just doesn’t know how to control his feeling. Just like today.

He was angry. Really angry that I thought he would turn the room upside down. He would be the scariest among infinite members when he is really angry. Everyone knew that. And I could see that each member was stuttered and flustered because of him. The phone that he loved so much was splattered over the floor. Woohyun was not the one who will destroy thing when he was mad.

I looked at him. With his condition everyone could tell that he has been possessed by his anger. But it was not anger. I knew it with certain. Because I know what the anger was, in my invisible memory, experienced injustice and cruelty in the past, made me realized it was not anger – definitely.

He was scared. And frightened. And terrified.  His nervous eyes told me that something was coming after him. His cold trembling hand was not coming from his fury. It was a terror. His voice – it was shaky.

“You want me to kill that guy or you want me to kill myself!!!”

Woohyun was not mad - he was not furious like what everyone think. The rage that welled up inside him was unthinkable. And the impatience of seeking revenge rarely been seen in him – or to be sure – never been shown by him all this while.

In spite of my soulless body told me what my eyes had seen on him, deep down I was convinced that he was not. Because all I could tell - he was full of fear and panic. It must be something that could give him such fright.

The problem is, I don’t know what and why.

I get up from my bed before dashing towards his apartment. I need the answer as soon as possible before he could do anything stupid.

I was on my way to downstairs when I got a call from sungyeol. I felt like the world has collapsed on me and I can’t even breathe.

“Hyung…woohyun hyung is….gone…..”

Sungyeol’s voice sounds too far from my ear even though I was still holding the phone. I wanted to believe that sungyeol is doing his prank just like how normal he would be. I know that that choding friend sometimes too innocent to differentiate between the serious things and the jokes. Sometimes his prank was too much for me and the other members to take. But we still forgive him because sungyeol was just being the choding sungyeol who never grow up.

The things that woohyun said that evening was ringing loudly like a bell in my head make me deaf from any single sound. I can’t hear anything anymore. All I cares is woohyun. This is not supposed to happen. Woohyun can’t be missing. What if……. No, I don’t even want to imagine that. I just want to find woohyun right instance.

But the burden that I carried on my shoulders right now was too heavy that I wanted to just die. Those feelings that I felt right now were too intense in my chest that almost kill me. I never felt this kind of feeling in my entire eternal life. To feel worried, scared, painful and sad at the same time made me dying. I lived way too long without pain and hurt that make me forgot on how to deal and endure such pain. And this was the first time for me to experience the feeling of worry and anxious after centuries and I would never imagine that it would be as painful as now. It was like a torment to me.

I fall on my knees right in front of woohyun’s apartment. Both of my legs have lost their strength to stand up.

……woo…oohyu..hyunnnn…..it is just a whisper – enough for my heart to feel the pain.

The name that was once has become a cure for all my illness, a name that has been carved in my heart forever. Even the death cannot erase that name from me nor could the time put it out from my mind.

Even though I wanedt to believe that ‘that woohyun’ has gone but ‘this woohyun’ never let me forget him. No matter how many centuries I lived, the name of woohyun never disappeared in my memory. He never has gone. He always stays by my side. Although every moment in my life, I wished that he would just die and vanished forever. 

Now he is really gone. And I can’t even take it for real.

********************

CENTURIES AGO (when the love become hatred…)

Sunggyu ran as fast as he can before his feet tripped onto something. He get up, tried to register where he was now. His scary and fright has brought him to unknown places. He just ran without knowing where he's heading to. He just wanted to escape from that evil wicked witch that after him. He didn’t know why. The only thing he knew for certain was that tyrant man was trying to kill him.

He looked around. There was no wind. The silence of the darkness that surrounded him was killing him. He can’t see anything. The darkness has swallowed the light and all the sound. Sunggyu felt terrible. Never had he imagined in his life that he would experience such scary things to happen. 

Sunggyu knew better that he was now in the greatest death-trap. Every step that he will take would put him in the hell hole. Every move he made would put him into mortal danger, for the villainous death game he’s been put into. He tried to act in a moment of panic to stay calm and focus. He can’t weary because that witch has put him into his game of maze. And sunggyu just has to find his way out from this maze.

He slowly put a step with caution while trying to use all his sense to avoid any harm that can end his life.

A sound of step behind him awakens his instinct of peril. Before he could think a possible way to escape from that horrifying situation, a strong wind blew him hard. Then the wind raised him as though they meant to carry him away. Sunggyu was struggling for his life desperately to get away from it. But he was effortless. He can’t overpower the strong powerful wind that already drained all his energy.

After a few moments, the wind stop and sunggyu has fall hard on his back. The pain started to chew every part of his body. He looked around him with blurry. A scary man appeared before his eyes. His heart shrinks with fear. The darkness still filled his vision but enough to give him a sight of the spooky place he’s been now. There was a smoky bloody smell that suddenly his smelly sense. That smell was no other than a smell of death. Sunggyu knew that he would be the next as he has seen his angel of death. No – the one in front of him was no more than a death devil to him that would ripped apart his soul with no mercy anytime soon.

“Why do you do this to me?” in the middle of chaos, sunggyu still has a sense of curiosity. At least he wanted to know a reason for his death and why he deserved this painful torture.

“Shall I reveal of what happened? Shall I tell you everything about it?” the voice of the man in front of him make him relieve a bit, for him will stop his torture for a moment while he continued his story. Sunggyu was actually buying a time for him to think a plan to escape.

Sunggyu scanned the place around him. Nothing he could find for a hide. It was a deathly black-red field full of skulls and bones and blood. There was no sound except the sound of his breathes and that witch’s creepy voice. There was no other creature other than both of them. Sunggyu felt helpless but he was far from hopeless. He still has a tiny hope that someone would come as a hero to save him and pulled him out from this unthinkable situation.

“It was love - a love of a young man to his friend and a love of a mad man towards his dream. A dream that he wanted to realize even he should sell the world and killed his lover. This young man who you love madly was blinded by his love to his dream to be the greatest singer ever and he would do anything just to have in his hand what he most desired of. But he broke the deal. He opened the veil. And he just started the dark curse that no one can put an end to it.”

Sunggyu stopped scanning. His eyes now fixed on that witch. The scariness to look into fire-ball-eyes of that witch now has gone completely.

That man – someone he loved – is that…

Sunggyu tried to shake that thought. Woohyun will not do this to him. Never.

“What do you mean? What are you trying to say?” he forced his voice to talk, though it might sound frighten.

“Your lovely woohyun. He broke the deal. He said that he would give me your soul in return for my favor to give your sweet angelic voice to him. But he lied. He planned to kill me so that he can have you and your voice. That pathetic greedy man never learnt his lesson. He’s such an arrogant that I would smack him into the ground.”

It was all lies and Sunggyu can’t believe a word from that witch man. Woohyun would never do such thing. The thing that he heard just then was more torturous than what he’s been through before. It’s more painful than his hurting body.

How can he believe that woohyun would do such evil awful things to him just to get advantage of him?

How can he imagine that someone who he dearly love and care would do this unimaginable act?

“You’re really a great storyteller but I can only found that your story was incredibly worst. You think I would believe that?”

Sunggyu smirked – try to gain some strength and courage to fight his fright. But later did he knew that he just provoke that witch.

Before he could continue his words, his body has been lifted up higher before he fall hard on the ground. There was a sound of bones cracked. He can’t move his leg and his chest felt tight. He was out of breath. He knew that that powerful witch was unchallenged but still he didn’t want to die effortless. Even he would crack all the bones in his body or shed all the bloods of his; he would fight this vengeful witch.

Later though he began to concern, could this have been a supernatural experience that he wouldn’t want to face and so unfortunately he would has an ever more powerful witch to handle. Sunggyu prayed for his first time – and maybe his last – begging for his life to be saved by someone, anyone. And he could never be more thankful as the god heard him right then because he could see a figure coming closer from the smoky fog right behind that witch which forcefully pulled his soul out from his body.

It didn’t take a single minute when he heard a sharp stab that cause a horrible painful groan from that witch. His fire-ball-eyes that scare the hell out of sunggyu widen and his blood-curdling face turned scarier as the death of his came to take his turn.

He released sunggyu from his power and faced the man behind who stabbed him straight to his heart.

“I would not let you to have him. He’s mine.” Woohyun pushed the blade deeper and caused the witch to bend his body forward. The pain was overwhelming in his body. He held woohyun’s hand that held the blade tightly. In a blink of eye, the blade was turned its position. Now woohyun was the one who groaned in pain. The blood was oozing out endlessly from the place where the blade been stabbed into.

“You think you can kill me? You think you can overpower me?”

“Until the end of time, you will be living in the darkness. The darkness of your dark soul will hunt you down until you will give up of your life. But you can never end it. Because you will live again and again. I will curse you for your death can never find you to end your suffer.”

“And this lover of yours can never end this. Because he will never find his end. He will live forever until the time gave up on him. The worst is he can never get your love or love you back. Because I have killed his soul and I will let his soulless body to live in his never-ending life.”

“Both of you will never find each other or to remember about your love story. Both of you will never find happiness. And you can never get to your dream.”

The stabbed has gone deeper into his heart. The hellish pain was unbearable. With no times, that witch has disappeared with the storm that brings the two lovers back to their world.

The sounds of birds chipping from the trees sound so mellow in his ears. The sun arose with the most beautiful shine ever. The battle with that wizard in the real deathful magical world has ended. Sunggyu looked at woohyun who lie down unmoving not far from where he was standing. He has witnessed how the greediness would took over the love they had all this while. He has witnessed how far woohyun would go just to clean his hand from the crime he has done. He has seen the real woohyun.

Because of his greediness, woohyun has put sunggyu into a curse. A curse that never been broken. He will live until the time gave up on him. And along that time he will live, the hatred has become a part of him. He will live with a hatred for a guy named woohyun. As long as the time remains his body in this world - his hate, his fury and his rage would fill up his entire life. And the forgiveness that woohyun would seek from him someday would be just an end for his life.

***********

BEFORE INFINITE DEBUT (when the forgiveness is the hardest thing to do…)

“Kick that habit, woohyun.”

Sunggyu warned the man in front of him. He was annoyed of his greasy heart-throwing to everyone. Throughout his life, he never found a greasy stubborn man like woohyun. He hated it. He hated his greasy heart throwing, he hated when woohyun tried to make him smile when he was tired and angry, he hated it when woohyun tried so hard to improve his vocal, he hated the fact that woohyun tried to be his superior despite of his age was more than him. He hated everything about woohyun. Since the first day he met him, sunggyu can’t hide his annoyance towards the younger. Calling his name itself made him felt so irritated.

“I guess old habit die hard, leader sshi.” Woohyun replied with whisper, but enough for sunggyu to hear it.

Woohyun always find something to talk back to him. Sometimes he thought that woohyun was rude. He’s way too old than what woohyun thought he should be. Others knew that he was the oldest in the group but none of them knew the exact age of his. Yet, he never had any intention to reveal it to anyone.

Sunggyu get up from his sit and took the bottle before gulping the water in it.

“Why do you hate me so much, hyung? Have I done any wrong to you?”

Woohyun turned serious out of the blue. There was sadness in his voice. Woohyun’s sound upset. The practice room shared by both of them was filled with awkward and cold. The stiffness made by woohyun’s word just now turned sunggyu to feel annoyed. He hated such serious situation. The atmosphere was now covered by the unpleasant feeling of both friends.

There were only two of them in that practice room. They were practicing their vocal for their debut song as they were the main vocal while the other members were in other room for dance practice. They will debut soon as an idol under the name of INFINTE. After all their hard times together to achieve their shared dream, they only had one more step to be what they wanted to be.

It was not a year they knew each other, yet woohyun has done every single attempt he had in order to get closer to his leader. He knew that sunggyu hated him. He can feel it. The way sunggyu looked at him, talked to him, his attention and his treatment - it was different from other members. Huge different actually that everyone could see how much sunggyu didn’t want woohyun in the same group. The leader rather debut solo or in a rock group than being with him as an idol group. Deep down he believed that sunggyu was holding a grudge on him because sunggyu was the best of it. And woohyun was the best in reading people’s mind because that was his ability since forever.

“Stop it woohyun. No body hates anybody.”

“But you do hate me, don’t you?”

Sunggyu just kept quiet – didn’t have any thought to give any answer to woohyun. If he continued to argue with woohyun, they will just end up with quarrel. The last resort, they will be in huge fight which sunggyu didn’t even want it to happen especially when the day of their debut was just around the corner. He didn’t want to hurt anybody or being the reason for their delay. It was every member’s dream, including himself. So he wouldn’t risk their dream with this good-for-nothing argument nor did he want to deal with this worthless issue. But the younger demanded an answer.

Woohyun eyed sunggyu. No words coming from his leader. His soft heart hurt, while his evil thought started to provoke him.

‘See, I told you. He doesn’t want you. He hates you. If he can, he will get rid of you right instance. You see his eyes; they tell everything how much he’s unable to stand with you.’

“I take it as yes.” Woohyun let out his mind even though his inner side was at war.

“What’s wrong with you?” the annoyance started to fill the room. Woohyun could feel the chill from elder’s voice.

“You’re mad. It’s crystal clear that you hate me. As much as you don’t even want to face me when we are talking.”

“You’re talking rubbish. I have no time to even listen to that. Just go and practice. You still have long way to go to be a main vocal of infinite.”

That’s hurt. And that’s so cruel of sunggyu to even say that to him. He felt small in front of his leader and everyone. His pride and his feeling, sunggyu has crashed them into pieces. He was but a whole lot of nothing.

He knew that he can’t beat sunggyu. Everyone loves his voice. Everyone adores him. His heaven voice could move every single heart and catch their ears. And that everyone included him. It’s a lie if he didn’t jealous of that. Yes he was. But it was in positive way. He tried to beat him. So he practice and practice and practice. He will prove to sunggyu that he deserved the title of INFINITE’s main vocal. He will make sunggyu acknowledged his talent.

------------------------------

NOW (when they still dancing for their love song….)

Sunggyu get up on his feet. Woohyun was in danger and he can’t be weak. He needed to save woohyun. Whatever it takes, he would bring woohyun back.

He ran downstairs. Not even thinking that taking elevators would be much faster and easier than spending his time on countless stairs. He didn’t care. As long as he could get to woohyun without wasting his time to wait for the elevator.

He was coming down the cross road, where he believed - in his invisible memory - the right place where woohyun would have been.

The moonless night made his sight filled with the deep darkness. But he still took a step to that place – a place where his eternal life begins.

There was a faint sound right at his back before he has been pulled hard by an invisible hand. Now he could see everything though the darkness was still not faded away. There was woohyun who was struggling to fight a man who he knew better.

*************

Woohyun has gambled his life for the uncertain destiny. He couldn’t care less about what will happen next. But the clock is ticking. His time’s running short. He can’t wait any longer. He’s desperate. Before the wind could blow his hair, he pulled out a silver-long blade from his back and stabbed that tyrant man. He didn’t give a damn second for that man to breath before another stab landed deeper to his chest. But he was the one in pain. He was the one who was bleeding. The blade was already landed deeper on that guy’s chest but woohyun was the one that holding the pain.

He falls on his knees. The pain was unbearable. But he ignored his pain and pushed the blade deeper to his opponent’s chest until it buried in his heart. Instead of that man who groaning the pain, he was the one who suffer the pain more and felt breathless. The hellish pain he felt right now really drained his energy.

Sunggyu rushed towards woohyun. He can’t bear to see woohyun in his pain. And he can’t even bear to think that woohyun might leave him soon. No.

He cuddled his woohyun while his hand holding woohyun’s hand that was trembling to cover his wound. Even though it was dark, but sunggyu could still see the red liquid oozing out from the wound and the warm liquid on his hand made his blood run cold. He was terrified seeing how much woohyun’s bleeding.

The sun already greeted the earth and the dawn has coming. This was his chance – the only chance to kill the man who has killed his families, who has broken his happiness and has cursed his life. This was the only chance for him to redeem all his sins and repent. This was the only chance for him to get back his pride and save his lovers and family again.

In the darkness that still not faded away, woohyun gathered all his strength and his might to come to his sense. He tried to find just a tiny of sunshine and this time the lady luck has given him a gold chance. He saw a piece of light shining from up above just an inch away from that man who was now struggling to pull out the blade from his chest. Woohyun clenched his fist and grit his teeth while struggling to put his two feet back on the ground. The pain that was chewing him cruelly didn’t give him a bit of sympathy but he tried to endure it as much as he can. He looked at sunggyu and showed Sunggyu what he saw while signaling his plan to sunggyu. Sunggyu worried but he still nodded saying that he understood the plan. With the strength left, woohyun stand up with sunggyu’s help and ran as fast as he can towards that man while sunggyu ran towards the light. woohyun pushed hard that man and before he could do anything the light from above has become brighter and filled the entire space of the room. Now woohyun could see clearly that man’s face. It was scary – the scariest thing he ever seen in his life. When the light has shone to his body that man then disappeared and became like a dust before the wind blew them into the air and he has disappeared without trace. Woohyun smiled happily. Now he can back to normal. He already breaks the curse. He can be with infinite without any fear and guilty. And he can be with sunggyu forever. His dream will come true and all his struggles were worthwhile. 

*****

“What have you done, woohyun ah?”

“Hyu..ng, I .. kill..ed h..im. I ki..ll…ed himmm…” 

Sunggyu was crying his heart out. Woohyun has killed that evil witch and break their curse. He should thank woohyun for that. He should be grateful to his bestfriend and his lover that now he can live as a normal human being.  He should be happy about that. Most of all, his wish to get rid of woohyun now become true. But now he didn't want any of that. He just need woohyun. He never imagined that losing woohyun would hurt him this much.

Seeing sunggyu right at the minute of his last, woohyun tried to gather his full strength and energy that was left to have a moment with his leader.

“I don’t want to die in vain, hyung. So please stop crying.”

“Losing me is not like you will lose everything. You are not alone. There are another five boys that you have to take care of. They need you. And I believe you also need them. So don’t disappoint them. They will jealous if they see you like this.”

“They’re always jealous of us. Don’t you ever know that?”

“I know, hyung. I always know that.”

“You are their great great great grandfather. You are way too older than them. So you better take the best care of them. You know what I mean right.”

“No, I know nothing.”  Sunggyu was being cute as he pouted sullenly. Woohyun smiled. He knew that sunggyu was really sensitive about his age and he enjoyed teasing him about that. It was really difficult to see sunggyu to act cute. His leader only did that in certain occasion – today included.

“You are not fool hyung. You are our brain. You’re genius.” Woohyun never failed to make sunggyu’s smile. He knew how to melt his leader’s heart. That was his charm that no one could deny.

“Hyung, do you still hate me?” 

“Why should I’m crying if I hate you.”

“Just want a confirmation.”

“You’ve confirmed enough.”

“I did.” Woohyun grabbed sunggyu’s hand and put it on another hand. He squeezed them hard – like he would lose him if he let him go. His time just left a second but he didn't want to waste it regretly.

“Thanks hyung. For loving me endlessly. To forgive me for what I’ve done to you. To accept me back and allow me to go.”

“NO woohyun. It’s me who’s should asked your forgiveness.”

“I put you into this. I made you like this.”

“You don’t have to be that way, hyung. It’s my entire fault. If I was not greedy enough to get my dream, I will not sacrifice you and all this will never happen.”

Woohyun flashed a smile to sunggyu before he shut his eyes – tightly. And sunggyu embrace him as tight as he can.

Woohyun has gone and for the record his wish has come true. But why his heart was full of regret and guilt. How can he wish for something that he didn’t even want to get.

 “I have spent my entire life being miserable. This evil fortune has become my old friend. I thought I never could find happiness. I thought that I would always be in pain. But then I think I can walk away from all these miseries. Being in love is the best way to do it. And being with you is the greatest moment in my life.”

Woohyun landed his head on sunggyu’s chest. Smile and closed his eyes slowly. Tried to imagine the best moment in his life with sunggyu. And slowly he let out his breath.

His.Last.Breath.

*****

 

Hi guys...thank you for my new subsribers and new readers..i'm resting way too long for my holiday...I'm deeply apologized for the last update...I, now, can relieve a big sigh as I already completed this story. Hope you guys enjoy with this last chapter and the whole story..sorry again for any disappointment I made throughout the story...

P/s: INFINITE will have comeback this September..I can't wait for their new songs and new image. Don't forget to support our boys, INSPIRIT.

Owh, I just got a news about Dongwoo's father. A big condolence to him and his family. May his father rest in peace. Dongwoo always a smile angel and give positive vibe to the group and Inspirit. Hope he will stay strong and overcome this heartbreaking moment. Don't forget that INFINITE and INSPIRIT will always be with you.