Ch. 6

Every cloud has a silver lining

Ever since he blew his date with Minseok, Luhan had been feeling completely miserable. He never thought that what he said, what he meant, would be misinterpreted by his crush. Yeah, crush. Ever since he saw Minseok at school for the first time he had liked him, and felt the overwhelming urge to get to know him. However due to his social status, and the scandal it would have turned out to be if he would date someone of a lower class (AND being a guy) he got to know Minseok in a totally different way. It was selfish, he knew that. Yixing had pointed that out to him multiple times but Luhan just couldn’t resist Minseok. He couldn’t stay away so that’s why he had picked on him. It was so wrong but whatever he said to Minseok about him looking handsome, attractive or y, all those things he had meant. Secretly meant them but disguised in a teasing manner so that his attraction wouldn’t be discovered by anyone who could and wanted to hurt him. Now that he had nothing more to lose he felt more confident towards his feelings, and he felt comfortable expressing them.

 

That’s one of the reasons why he had asked the younger for his help, that’s why he had taken a shot and asked whether they were on a date. That’s why he had been internally over the moon when he lost the basketball game so that he could kiss the man he was in love with. But then he blew it. He didn’t blame Minseok for misreading what he was trying to say. He wanted the younger happy and in a safe place so that’s why he had worried and asked what he did. But it did hurt a hell of a lot that Minseok was now ignoring his texts and calls. Yixing had asked him whether he regretted ever having treated Minseok badly.

 

“No, no regret. I still got to tell him he is handsome and attractive. I still got to see him, get to know him and look after him. Did I handle it wrongly? Yes. But… I have no regrets.” Luhan had said confidently.

 

“But now he is angry with you for being worried? Doesn’t that bother you?” Yixing kept asking. He knew that his best friend has a hard time to understand how Luhan could remain so positive.

 

“Of course it bothers me. I feel like I blew it after being so close but Yixing, how can I blame him for getting angry? I should have been careful and phrased what I meant in a different and better way. It is my fault and I have to find a way to fix it” He explained. He felt miserable, hollow and sad. He had truly been happy when he was on his first date with Minseok and he could see that the other had too. They clicked well, they had fun and Luhan had fallen a little bit harder.

 

“Ah, I think I understand now. I can see you are trying very hard to undo what you have done in the past. Besides I know that you’re not a bad person at heart. With time, and patience Minseok will see that too. I am sure of it. Just keep going and doing what you do now. Show him that you won’t give up on him, that you want to be his friend and that you are capable of change” Yixing said. Luhan smiled. His best friend always knew the right things to say.

 

“Thank you Xing. I know I can always count on you. And who knows, you might be right. It will take a long time to get Minseok to trust me, but I can only try my best” He said. He knew his chances were slim, but he also knew that if you really wanted something you had to fight for it. What Luhan wanted the most was to be friends with Minseok. Being boyfriends, or lovers was on the back of his mind. Surely he wanted that to happen as well, but to him it was more important that Minseok got to trust him and that they were able to build a good foundation for a friendship. Whether or not they would end up in a relationship was up to the younger. Luhan would never push him, or make him do things that he wasn’t ready for or didn’t want. The only thing he could do was to let the other know he liked him, and show him how he felt towards him and then it would be out of his hands entirely.

 

“Do you already know what you will be doing with school?” Yixing inquired. They hadn’t properly talked about it yet and Luhan hadn’t told him any of his plans.

 

“Actually I have an idea.” he started nervously. “I was thinking that since I would be paying for it myself, and let’s just say I find a job and I would be able to, I want to change my major” he concluded. His studies had become more of a chore rather than something he enjoyed.  He had never enjoyed having to take over his family’s company. He knew that it was asked of him but this is his own life, his own path and since he was already of age his parents couldn’t decide such things for him. It was something that he had to do for himself otherwise he would never be happy. “My parents want me happy don’t they?” he asked out loud.

 

Yixing put his hand on his shoulder, as if to console him when Luhan didn’t really feel sadness but it was comforting nonetheless.

 

“Lu, I know you worry about your parents but I think you are right. It is your money, no this is YOUR life, you should do what makes you happy. Know you always have my support. You’re my big brother from another mother” he said the last part jokingly and both of them burst out laughing. It was good having Yixing around him, and knowing he always had.

 

“Will you come with me when I do change my major to tell them?” he asked quietly. He dreaded telling his parents because he knew that they wouldn’t be happy with it. He was their only son and they sort of relied on him taking their place. He envied Yixing for he did have a say in what his dream job was.

 

“Couldn’t we offer your parents me instead of you to take over the family business?” Yixing mused. Luhan’s eyes widened. Why hadn’t he thought of that? His parents loved Yixing like their own son because the boys had been best friends for so long AND Yixing was studying business management. The younger liked the rush of it all, the travel for meetings and even the slightly boring office work. He was good at sitting still for a long time, being quiet and working on a project (or now his homework). He had always been good at math as well and was a terrific public speaker. He had the strengths to do well within an office. It would be the perfect solution for his parents. He ran up to Yixing and hugged him tightly.

 

“This is the best idea you have ever had Xing!!!” he exclaimed excitedly, hugging the smaller male even harder.

 

“Lu…..can’t…..breathe” the other said and he immediately let him go. They both were laughing now.

 

“I need to stay alive in order to actually have a chance at offering your parents my services. Are you okay with it? I know you tend to worry about anyone replacing you and such” Yixing asked worriedly. It was true. Luhan always got jealous when someone got too close to his parents. It was a sense of insecurity. There was a time when Luhan was angry with Yixing because of it. His parents had taken a fondness for the boy and expressed that blatantly, making Luhan jealous and worry. Once they talked about it he realised it was dumb of him to act as such but like with all feelings you can’t help them sometimes. Luhan blamed it on the rocky relationship he had with his mother and father, not feeling well within the world he lived in and so many people that impressed his parents when he did not. Luhan wanted so badly to please them, to get that ounce of appreciation others did get but nothing seemed to be enough. Perhaps by cushioning the blow of him changing majors and not working the family business he wouldn’t disappoint them too much.

 

“Yeah I am more than okay with it. You know how much you mean to me and my family. You are family, to put it simply. Really I am 100% okay with it. Now let’s home my parents think the same thing” Luhan said.

 

“Then we will have to give them an offer they cannot refuse” Yixing said confidently. His face was full of determination, full of want to help his brother out.

 

“I love your determination” Luhan laughed.

 

They went on to make a plan instead of focussing on their homework. This was a little more important in their eyes. Yixing came to the conclusion to offer Luhan’s parents that he would take an internship job there to get the feel of the company and to be able to familiarize himself with the work. Then when he would graduate he will full time work there at any position that might be free for him. He figured that Luhan’s parents would love his initiative and perhaps feel a sense of responsibility from the boy. Luhan had liked the idea and was busy preparing what he wanted to say. Both of them had decided to do it after Luhan secured a job and it was therefore certain he would continue school. So that was their first part of the plan.

 

Luhan remembered that Minseok knew of a job but the latter wasn’t returning any of his texts or calls so he wouldn’t be able to ask him. So he was browsing the internet, seeing if there was anything he thought he was able to do. He found an opening for a part time sales employee, so Luhan saved it and made a mental note to write a letter later that evening.

 

Right when he was showing the application to Yixing he felt his phone vibrate. When he looked at it he almost got a heartattack for it was one from Minseok.

 

From Seokkie♡:

Lu, I am sorry I overreacted but you have to know that it is hard for me to trust you still. As promised here’s the address I talked about. I hope you’ll make use of it. - Seok

 

When they got together that sunday Minseok had mentioned that he would only give him the address for the job if he liked Luhan (or well it was implied, he thought). So regardless of the little mishap that happened between them, the elder did like him, if only it was a little bit. The small smile on his face after seeing Minseok’s text turned into a bigger one after reading what was in it.

 

“He’s talking to me again Yixing. He texted me” Luhan exclaimed happily, clutching his phone to his chest. Yixing just laughed and asked what it was that he had said.

 

“He apologized for overreacting, which in my opinion was totally understandable and he shouldn’t have to, and he sent me the address for a job opening he talked about. When he mentioned it he had said he wanted to give me it after we spend the day together and after he would take a liking to me. HE LIKES ME XING…. He likes me” he whispered the last part. Even if it was only a small liking to his person, he was still over the moon. It was a small step that they took today, which with time would have the opportunity to evolve into bigger ones. They’ll become closer and closer (if he didn’t screw this up, and Minseok will learn to trust him).

 

“Well, send a text back you idiot!!!! This is your chance, go go go!!!” Yixing spurred him on, shaking him awake from his all too wonderful little daydream. He instantly replied to the text message and opted to let his heart speak instead of preparing a speech that he would think minseok would want to hear.

 

To Seokkie♡:

Please don’t apologize, you don’t have to. I should’ve worded what I was trying to say in a better way.  I was vague and I am sorry if I came across as judgemental. In the future I will do better, this to you I promise. Thank you for the address. Do you perhaps, want to help me prepare for it? - Lu

 

He was taking a shot with the last question, and it would be alright if Minseok didn’t want to. He just thought that it was now or never. If he showed the older that he wanted to stay in touch, wanted the contact then perhaps the other would want to as well. When it came to Minseok he would always want to make the effort. When he looked at the address Minseok just sent to him he was struck by an odd familiarity.

 

“Xing, are you familiar with this address? I feel like I know where it is but I can’t put my finger on it” he asked whilst shoving his phone into his best friend’s hands.

 

“Yeah it’s that restaurant we used to eat at, Purple Rain. Isn’t that the one Minseok works at?!” Yixing said. Right then his phone started vibrating again.

 

From Seokkie♡:

For this one I am afraid I won’t be able to be of much help, because I would want you to get it fairly (I am sure you do too). I am sorry, but be yourself and you’ll do great. If you need my help on another job interview then I’d love to help you out. Good luck - Seok

 

So it must be true otherwise Minseok would’ve helped him. He figured that working in a restaurant would be something that he could do. I mean it wasn’t hard was it? If that lanky and clumsy Chanyeol guy could do it then he would have no trouble learning the art of waiting tables too. Tomorrow he thought to himself, tomorrow he would go there and get himself that job.

 

*****

 

Luhan stood before the restaurant, Purple Rain, in a nice looking pantalon with a white dress shirt. He wanted to look nice but not too formal, professional yet laid back. These were some of his favorite clothes therefore he felt really comfortable in them. He was nervous enough about an possible interview today that he wanted to feel comfortable on all other aspects. He opened the door and walked into the establishment. Sehun was working behind the bar so he walked up to him.

 

Well well well as if it isn’t the biggest and now most pathetic in town” Sehun said harshly. The words stung despite holding a little bit of truth to them. Right then Minseok came walking towards them.

 

Sehun now you are the and you aren’t acting any better!” Minseok said. The words were more than justified and it made Luhan feel a little bit better however it wasn’t completely fair.

 

It’s okay Minseok. I kind of deserved that even though it was a tad rude to greet someone like that” he mentioned.

 

“Rude? You’re calling me rude?” Sehun asked with an angry tone to his voice. He walked from behind the counter and took a stand right in front of Luhan. Because the guy was a little bit taller than him he towered over him, intimidating Luhan in the process. However he remained calm and collected, knowing that if he would slip up and become angry he would be further away from being friends with Minseok.

 

“That I did, but only because it was completely unnecessary to greet a customer that way” Luhan calmly said to Sehun. He showed him that he wasn’t here to fight but the younger thought differently about that. Luhan was pushed back violently and almost lost his balance but managing to stay upright.

 

“To hell you are a customer. You don’t even have the money to buy something here” Sehun pat and made the movement to push Luhan again. “You are here to pick on Minseok again I just know it” the younger continued.

 

“No I am not. I came here for the job opening and wanting to apply. Minseok even gave me the address” Luhan tried to reason with the angry person in front of him, dodging every push or pull. He desperately tried to stay out of a fight but the younger was very determined. Minseok tried stopping the younger too by trying to hold him back but it was no use.

 

“Why should I believe you? You are a liar and I don’t trust you” Sehun said lifting his hand to hit Luhan in the face. He didn’t see it coming and was hit on his left cheek, losing his balance and falling to the floor. Minseok ran over to him right away and helping him up.

 

“BUT I DO SEHUN!” Minseok yelled towards the younger. Sehun seemed to calm down and looked at Minseok wide eyed.

 

“I don’t need you to defend my honor. I sent Luhan the text for the job opening and asked him to come by. In a way I trust him Hun! Not fully but he showed me he is willing to make right and I trust him on that and offered to help him. Right now YOU are being an !!!” the eldest continued. He lifted Luhan onto his feet and looked at the now red cheek. “Come on Lu let’s go make you presentable before you see my boss” Minseok kindly offered. It made Luhan happy that the other wasn’t mad at him but stood by him instead. Minseok truly was a good man.

 

Sehun was left standing in the restaurant, shocked and ashamed for letting himself go like that. He just, he couldn’t stand Luhan for all the lies he told Minseok, for the way he had treated his friend and he vowed to expose him and keep him away from Minseok
 

*****

 

Minseok introduced him to his boss and informed the man known as Kim Heechul that Luhan was here for the opening of bartender. When asked whether he had any experience with bartending he unfortunately had to say no. Heechul then informed him that it wasn’t a big problem as long as he was willing to learn and to attend a training.

 

“No that’s fine. I am very eager to learn something new and gain new experiences.” Luhan said. Heechul smiled at him.

 

“Okay so Minseok told me that you are attending the same university and I would like you to know that working here wouldn’t interfere with school. We can work it around your schedule. All I am asking of you is that you do work Thursday and Friday nights, the whole of saturday and Sunday afternoon. I hope that’s alright with you?” the big boss inquired. Luhan nodded and said it was more than alright.

 

“That’s great. I would love to give you a chance Luhan. If you can come this Saturday then I will have Minseok show you around and start the training?” Heechul asked.

 

“I would be honoured sir. I will not disappoint you!” Luhan responded strongly and full of determination. However truth be told he was weak with nerves still.

 

“I hope so. Be here at noon okay?” Heechul ordered to which Luhan responded with an “aye sir”. The elder chuckled and stood up from behind his desk, offering his hand to Luhan.

 

“Thank you for coming Luhan and I will see you on Saturday so we can fill out the paperwork and you can start work here.” Heechul said.

 

“No thank you for interviewing me. Really thank you so much!!” he said shaking his boss’ hand.

 

“It’s my pleasure. Well see you Saturday Luhan” Heechul chuckled and guiding his new employee out of his office.

 

Minseok was waiting just outside the door and greeted his boss with a quick bow before asking Luhan if he would want to grab a coffee since he was on break.

 

“Yeah sure Seok. Meet me outside okay?” Luhan said and walked towards the exit with a skip in his step. His mood had picked up immensely that even Sehun’s death stare couldn’t bring him down.

 

“He is a great guy Minseok. I can see what you see in him” Heechul said to Minseok when Luhan was out of hearing distance. Minseok stuttered that there wasn’t anything going on and that he didn’t see anything in him.

Heechul put his hands sassily on his hips and smirked at his most loyal and oldest employee. “So that’s why you pretty much begged me to hire him?” he countered.

 

Minseok realised he wouldn’t be able to plead his case with his boss so he just shrugged and walked away.

 

“Go get him Minseok!!!” Heechul yelled teasingly and Minseok only walked faster and faster, face red with embarrassment.

 

*****

 

Luhan was waiting outside for Minseok to join him. He already sent Yixing a quick text saying that he has gotten the job. He was ecstatic. He felt that his life was finally about to start, and not the life his parents wanted but the life that HE wanted for himself. He and Yixing would put their plan in motion as soon as possible and then he could contact his school to change his major. In a few years he would be a teacher, follow his dream and be happy. Luhan cheered and did a little dance in the middle of the street.

 

“Someone’s happy” Minseok chuckled after seeing the cute and tad embarrassing dance.

 

“Oh please tell me you did not see that” Luhan said embarrassed. He felt his cheeks heat up and he hid his face in his hands.

 

“I can always pretend that I didn’t but I choose not too. Sorry not sorry. You looked cute” Minseok confessed.

 

Luhan smiled. “Did you just say I looked cute” he said happily and slightly teasing.

 

“N-no I didn’t…”

 

“Yes you did~”

 

“Oh shut up you” Minseok said giving him a slight push with his shoulder. “So are you happy you found a job?” the elder asked when they walked to the cafe just around the corner.

 

“Very happy! Is it the only job you have? Will I be able to pay for school with it?” Luhan asked worriedly. Considering the hours he made it didn’t seem like he would earn a lot.

 

“That’s the beautiful thing about Heechul. He pays his employees more than a regular boss would. And we get to keep the tips” Minseok answered. “With school you are also able to pay for the entire year in monthly installments. So it would be easy for you to pay for it” the elder continued.

 

“Ah then I am really happy I got the job” Luhan chuckled. “I was worried that I would’ve needed another job to pay for it all” he laughed.

 

“Ah no Lu, don’t worry about that. Just be happy now okay? Come on this one’s on me” Minseok said when they entered the cafe to celebrate Luhan’s new job. The establishment smelled like different kinds of coffee and pastries which reminded Luhan of his date with Minseok. They seemed to be good now but he couldn’t help the overwhelming feeling of dread and fear. He had to work hard not to screw up, and Minseok sticking up for him in that fight with Sehun showed him that the other was willing to trust him. He even mentioned that he did even though it was a teeny tiny glimpse of it. That gave him the courage to keep on fighting, do make right and to treat the older well. Afterall he owed him so much right now. Being nice to him and treat him fairly was the least that he could do.

 

Both of them ordered an americano with a piece of cheesecake and sat at a small window near the window. They were seated across from each other and to Luhan it felt like just another date. Because of the cafe’s warm atmosphere and the air around them smelling like different delicious things it made this whole thing far more romantic than it should be. He saw Minseok wiggling nervously in his seat which was an indication that he had felt it too. Both boys just stared at their hands holding their cups of coffee, blushed and avoided conversation. Minseok was the first to speak up after a 2 minute long silence.

 

“So coffee really is our thing huh?” the older nervously chuckled.

 

“Hah… y-yeah I suppose it is” Luhan replied. Then they both burst out in laughter. All the nerves and embarrassment leaving their bodies with it so that they could start over. They were laughing, having conversations about the past, present and future, about their feelings, family and friends. Everything was discussed and the boys grew closer together and to Luhan’s relief; everything went well. After 45 minutes Minseok had to return to the restaurant to finish his shift and Luhan had offered to walk him back. Their hands occasionally brushed together and Luhan took a bold move by suddenly grabbing the other’s hand and holding it in his. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a small smile spread on Minseok’s face and he knew that the move he just made was the right one. They arrived at the restaurant in no time, and Luhan regretted that his time with Minseok would come to an end.

 

“Well this is me” Minseok started. He regretfully let go of Luhan’s hand and moved a little towards the front door of the restaurant.

 

“Wait Seok!” Luhan yelled a little too loudly, before moving towards Minseok and planting a sweet kiss on his cheek.


“Thank you for today; the job, the coffee and your company” He said before quickly running away out of embarrassment because it had hit him hard that he had just kissed Minseok on the cheek.

*****

A/N: Hello everyone. First of all thank you very much for your understanding regards this waaaaaay too late update. Anyway I updated, YAAAAAY!!! *claps like a seal*. Luhan's life is really turning around and he's working very hard to make something of himself. However will he be able to keep it up?! Sometimes I really admire Luhan in the way I am writing him. Personally I am more like Minseok, always working hard for what I want and being generally nice to people. But I wish that sometimes I had the guts to go against people, to do what makes me happy instead of making other happy all the time. Ah sorry for this rant haha. I just have a lot of feeling towards Luhan in this story (and I wrote it,  I purposely hurt myself with this ^^) 

SO, thank you all immensely for reading, upvoting, subscribing and commenting. Really I cannot thank you guys enough!! I'll work hard for the upcoming chapters, and to give everything a place before ending it. Don't worry there's still more chapters to come since only the ending is fixed. I have to tie loose ends up first.

Have a good day everyone <3