Ch. 5

Every cloud has a silver lining

“Like a date” Luhan asked.

 

When Minseok had asked him to spend the remainder of the day with him he didn’t really mean it as a date. He wasn’t even sure whether or not Luhan liked boys, and liked him. Sure he had made ual comments or mentioned Minseok looked handsome in a particular kind of clothing but he thought that was just teasing. A means to try and provoke him into responding which he luckily never did. However this time it had a completely different feel. When Minseok had grabbed Luhan’s hand to try and comfort him he had felt something. Something he couldn’t place. Some people always mentioned a spark or electricity but it wasn’t exactly like that. There was a sort of tension, that he agreed on but it was much more pleasurable than an electric shock.

 

‘Luhan is very handsome’ he thought when contemplating Luhan’s question. ‘and he seem to be an agreeable guy’. However Minseok did have a few doubts, whether or not the younger was able to change the way he wanted to, whether he had the will power. It is true that Luhan was someone Minseok could fall for but would it be the right decision? So far he really liked the new Luhan. The way he was eager to learn, the way he had opened up to him about his family and the way his face lit up whenever he was happy. Minseok had not seen that face a lot, except when they were together. He felt compelled to see it again, that mesmerizing sparkle in those mischievous eyes of Luhan. It made him happy that he was able to put it there. ‘Besides these things, relationships, take a bit of courage and dare right?’ he thought. But in his heart he already knew his decision.

 

“Sure, like a date” he smiled making Luhan squeal and jump up from his seat excitedly. That made him laugh and Luhan swore it was the prettiest thing he ever heard. The younger ran up to him and quickly gave him a hug. Minseok felt himself stiffen when the other’s strong arms wrapped themselves around his torso from behind. He felt a head nuzzling on his shoulder and a giggle in his ear. The hug was warm, so he quickly adjusted himself and patted Luhan’s arm with his hand. Luhan broke the hug and remained standing beside the elder.

 

“Can I take you somewhere then?” Luhan asked quietly as if he wasn’t sure whether he was in the position to ‘pick a place’ for their now date. Because Luhan was so excited about everything he was alright with the younger doing the taking on this particular one. Minseok figured he would get to decide on their next one, IF this one went well.

 

“Since you’re so excited about all of this, yes!” Minseok smiled as the other grew more and more excited as he was speeding to his chair to grab his coat.

“Okay hurry up Seokkie!” Luhan yelled. Even before Minseok could put his coat on he was taken by the hand and dragged out of the establishment, jacket hanging off one shoulder.

 

“Lu can I at least put my jacket on?” he asked slowly running out of breath. He was trying not to lose the jacket that was now hanging halfway down his arm which Luhan was holding.

 

Luhan stopped and like a true gentlemen he took the jacket into his hands and helped Minseok to fully put it on.

 

“Thank you” Minseok said shyly at the gesture from the younger. It was his first ever date and he only read about love and romance in books, or seen in movies. He knows that they will never present the true feelings. Romance in books and movies are always romantically exaggerated but Luhan’s gesture  with the jacket felt just like the books. His heart rate sped up, he swore he started sweating and he got very nervous all of a sudden when Luhan stood so closely behind him.

 

“You’re welcome” the younger whispered in his ear. A visible shiver ran down Minseok’s spine and his palms were getting sweaty now. He closed his eyes to the feel of Luhan behind him and allowed himself to enjoy the closeness they shared now even though he felt it all was going too fast. His breathing picked up, growing more nervous with the silence that had fallen on the both of them.

 

“Am I making you nervous?” Luhan inquired. The younger’s fingers were slowly dancing down his arms before they reached his hand and sweetly laced their fingers together. Minseok nodded and turned around to face Luhan. Looking at the person who was making him this nervous wasn’t exactly helping him to stay composed.

 

“I-I have… never.. been on a date before” he said stuttering slightly. Luhan just smiled at him and gave his hand a slight squeeze.

 

“That is perfectly okay Seokkie. I was just testing to see what was alright. We can move slow and according to a pace that suits you” the younger said. He was still smiling and didn’t look angry at all so that relieved Minseok. He mentioned that moving slow would be alright for now since it was their first date afterall. Minseok felt nervous when everything was going this fast and when he knew he didn't fully trust Luhan yet. It took time for him to see that it was worth it falling for this man. However he did know that it was hard to resist the taller because it was already too damn difficult to let go of the warmth of Luhan’s hand in his. But he did anyway. Luhan almost looked sad to lose the physical contact between them, yet he quickly shook it off and rambled on about wanting to go.

 

“I really want to take your somewhere. Come on Seokkie~” the younger whined for the last time. Minseok just chuckled and then they slowly walked on the busy streets. The weather was nice enough for the citizens to take a stroll through the city comfortably. The temperature was a perfect mix between hot and cold which drew a lot of people outside and enjoy the beauty of the big buildings, the small streets and the buzz of the street vendors. Restaurants were full, cafe’s were busy and the people around them generally seemed to be in a good mood. This included both of them as well. Minseok couldn’t stop smiling and looking around, watching the friendly and happy people around him. Since it was Sunday there didn’t seem to be a rush, like it would on weekdays. They were all relaxed, enjoying their last free moments with friends and family before they had to be back at work the next morning.

 

“So what do you normally do on Sunday?” Minseok asked of Luhan, genuinely wondering what the other did in his free time. Besides this was a date, and shouldn’t you be learning each other’s likes and dislikes, hobbies, interests and whatever else was important to know. ‘At least that’s how it’s done in books’ he thought.

 

“Mostly hang out with my friends, just chill you know. What about you? Any particular interests?” Luhan asked back.

 

“I like reading. Whenever I am not busy studying I spend my time in the library reading about everything that seems remotely interesting to me. It’s the one place I truly feel at peace. There’s so much knowledge in that place that it’s frightening but also terribly exciting” Minseok replied passionately. Whenever he was asked about his hobbies the first thing that would come to his mind were books. In a way he was more comfortable in a world of facts and imagination rather than living his own life. The lives of others whether real or fictional were far more interesting than his was although it was changing quickly now that Luhan had entered his life. But it made him realise that he had spent too much time hidden away from the outside world that he had no clue what to do on a date, how to be with another person that wasn’t Junmyeon, that wasn’t safe. He felt insecure, and that he lacked the social skills to function properly, and that resulted in more hiding. However there was a part of him, that when Luhan came to him, wanted to reach out and help, wanted to get closer and that’s why he now had the guts to walk the beautiful streets of Seoul with a stranger. It was thrilling, and scary but so far he enjoyed every minute of it.

 

“You sound different when you’re talking about reading, or studying. It’s a good different. I like it” Luhan complimented. “Personally I am not a big fan of reading, at least not when I am forced to do so. All the stupid, thick books on business I had to go through for school was insane. I don’t even like to do it” he added.

 

“Oh what is it that you want to do then? I mean what’s your big dream?” Minseok asked curiously. He knew Luhan had mentioned before that he was studying business management because his parents wanted to hand over their company and that the younger hated it but he never mentioned what it was that he did want to do.

 

“I want to teach English. My parents have raised me with two languages and it’s something I always have thought of as a valuable asset. It opens a lot of doors if you know how to do it well and I want to offer those opportunities to the next generation. So yeah that’s my big dream, to teach kids between 12 and 16, to be their role model and provide them with a second language that they would be able to use all over the world.” Luhan said.

 

Throughout the story Minseok found it hard to take his eyes of Luhan. The way he spoke was enchanting to say the least. He talked with his heart, and it was clear to everyone who would pay attention. The way he moved his hands when he talked, the smile on his face, the speed of the words flowing out of his mouth, they were all signs that this was indeed his dream. There was a hint of want in his voice, of willpower and fighting spirit and Minseok saw a glimmer of himself in the taller man. He too was passionate about his dream and both of them wanted to work in the same field, only with different subjects to teach. It made him feel a lot closer to the other.

 

“And what about you Seokkie? What’s your big dream?” Luhan inquired.

 

“Same as yours actually, but a different subject. I picked History because ever since I was little I have been fascinated by the past. It doesn’t matter whether it’s cities, people or cultures. The only thing I find hard to focus on are the wars. I am not particularly fond of violence of any kind but it’s something that’s part of our past too. So I it up and learn about it. In life we all have to do things we do not want to.” Minseok said.

 

“That’s a good mindset to have” Luhan mentioned before he stopped dead in his tracks. “Oh we’re here already!” He took Minseok’s hand before they entered the arcade together.

 

“I used to come here a lot when I was a child and it was pretty much the happiest place on earth” Luhan explained when they walked around, looking at all the games on display. “Do you by any chance love basketball?” The younger asked.

 

“I LOVE BASKETBALL” Minseok exclaimed excitedly. There were only two sports that he really loved and that were football and basketball. When he was younger his dad was able to buy a really cheap hoop off of a colleague so he was able to play basketball.

 

“Fancy a game then?” Luhan asked when pointing to a 1 vs 1 basketball game in the corner.

 

“Oh you’re on but I must warn you that I will kick your ” Minseok countered. Luhan chuckled.
 

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that Seokkie~” the younger said teasingly. “We could always make it a little more interesting though?”

 

Minseok was a tad wary of what was to come and carefully asked what the younger had in mind. ‘Would he mean some kind of bet?’ He thought.

 

“The winner can really kick the losers ” was the ‘more interesting’ thought that Luhan had. Minseok just shook his head in disbelief.

 

“No way I will agree to that. I’m against violence remember?” He said.

 

“Well i would’ve gone for a kiss but we agreed to take it slow” the taller said bluntly. Minseok’s eyes widened and quickly hid his face because it was like someone was pointing a torch to his face. ‘Goddamn it’s hot in here’ he thought. However part of him really wanted it. ‘It’s also a part of a date right?’

 

“I suppose a kiss, on the cheek, would be alright?” He asked timidly.

 

“A kiss on the cheek for the winner it is then. Now prepare yourself Seok. I will win that kiss!”

 

They both took their positions. Their faces showing complete determination to try their best and win the game. When Luhan started the game both of them tried to get as many points in 30 seconds as they could. There were 4 rounds of 30 seconds with a break of 5 seconds in between. The one who would score the most points would be crowned the winner. After the 1st round Minseok was the leader with 20 points, but Luhan was the winner of the 2nd and the 3rd round. Because of only a 2 point difference the last round was nerve racking and both of them gave it their all.

 

“HA! Oh my god didn’t I tell you that I would win?” Minseok exclaimed happily after winning with a 3 point difference. “Prices shall be claimed at the end of the date, thank you and good night” he sang teasingly. Luhan was pouting cutely, and whining that he wanted a rematch but the elder wouldn’t give in.

 

They enjoyed the rest of the afternoon with a variety of games, having fun, laughing and enjoying each other’s company. However it had gotten late and both of them were expected home for dinner (or at least Luhan was if he wanted to eat).

 

“We should probably go home” the younger mentioned looking at the time on his phone.

 

“Yeah that might be a good idea.” Minseok said regretfully. He had been enjoying this day so much. It was almost just as fun as reading in a quiet place. He had to admit that this was a nice change of pace and he wouldn’t mind doing it again some time.

“Would it be okay for me to walk you home? It’s what a good date would do after all” Luhan asked him timidly. A hint of red staining his cheeks. Minseok could feel that neither of them wanted to part with each other just yet. Ending the date would equal ending the fun, and having to focus on another week of working hard at school. Not that Minseok minded that one bit but having fun with Luhan was also very tempting.

 

“Yeah, that would be more than okay” he answered. They were walking side by side along the now quiet street. Most people had returned home for dinner and a final rest before the week began again. The sun was setting and their surroundings made everything seem more romantic that it actually was. ‘I had an amazing time today’ Minseok thought.

 

“Yeah me too” he heard Luhan say. Quickly he put his hands in front of his mouth.

 

“Did I say that out loud?” He asked with a voice an octave higher than it normally was. Luhan just laughed and nodded.

 

The walk went by too quickly before they reached his apartment complex and Minseok almost felt regretful that their date had ended. He realised he liked the tension, the not knowing what was going to happen, the small hints of romance that had encircled them both. But there was something that still had to be done, one thing that had to be claimed before the day was done.

 

Minseok stopped in front of the door that led into the shabby looking apartment complex. It was 3 stories high, with 5 apartments on each row. It was an old looking building, and the rent was cheap but there was a lot of space for Minseok to live in.

 

“I hate to drop you off at a place like this” Luhan said. He looked like he was disgusted with the way the building had looked. “How can you live here?” He asked.

 

“It’s the only thing I am able to afford Luhan. Not everyone had the luxury to live in the prettiest building in the city” Minseok replied. Why must Luhan do this right now? Why must he judge the way that he was living his life? It was annoying to say the least.

 

“That’s not fair you know I have not chosen that life” the younger countered.

 

“And neither did I!” He yelled back. He was so angry right now. Luhan had no right to go back to his stupid judgemental self after they spent the perfect day together. Frankly he felt really stupid right now for agreeing to the date, and for allowing himself to hope that it would work out.

 

“I didn’t mean it as being judgemental Seokkie. I want you to be comfortable and safe, yet this building and neighbourhood don’t look safe to me. Please don’t be angry with me. Not after our amazing date. Please. I am sorry” Luhan pleaded.

 

“I should go inside” He said defeated. He didn’t know whether he spoke the truth this time. There wasn’t much trust between them yet and Luhan had always been judgemental towards what he didn’t understand, or what was foreign to him. That included Minseok’s living situation as well. The younger may try to cover that up with excuses and pretty words but how could he know whether they held any meaning? He didn’t know, couldn’t know and he was too scared to take a leap of faith. So he chose to protect himself. He would enter his protective bubble and filed this day as an experience he could learn from, but nothing more.

He walked towards the entrance, saying a quick goodbye to the sad looking boy next to him. Luhan looked small again. The same way he had looked when he came into the restaurant to ask for his help. His shoulders were slumped, eyes cast down and fists balled. He looked defeated, utterly defeated when not even 15 minutes ago he had looked like he was the happiest person in the world. Minseok felt a pang of guilt in his heart, and he wanted so badly to turn around, hug the boy and tell him everything was going to be okay. But his mind overruled his heart at the moment.

 

“What about the kiss I owe you Minseok?” Was the last plea that came out of the younger’s mouth. A last cry for him to turn around, and end this date on a happy note.

 

Minseok did turn around and offered the other a last look.

 

“You can keep it” he said before he turned and walked into the building. Leaving a miserable looking boy standing on his doorstep.

 

*****

 

Minseok had returned to his regular life and pretended that he never went out with Luhan. Not even when Junmyeon had asked how it went.

 

“Come on Min. Please tell me? I thought you harboured a small crush on him?” Junmyeon asked.

 

“I know, and I still do. But Jun you should've heard him about my apartment. It was the same judgemental guy as he used to be. He couldn’t believe how I could live in such a place, and he mentioned the neighbourhood not looking safe.” he explained.

 

“Minseok goddamnit he is concerned. Can’t you see that? He told you, he texted it to you. How can you be so blind?” His friend said in desperation. He wanted Minseok happy and even though he hadn’t told him he acted differently now than he did before his date with Luhan.

 

Luhan had texted him the same night and informed him that he had gotten home safely. There were also messages filled with apologies, explanations and sadness. He had mentioned over and over again that he had enjoyed their date immensely. The last few messages were asking if they could talk but the last one really messed with his feelings; “I miss you”.

 

Minseok ignored all the messages he received, ignored Junmyeon’s advice but those three words he couldn’t ban out of his mind. Perhaps his best friend was right and he was blind. He was scared. He wasn’t afraid to admit that he was scared. Not only of his feelings for Luhan that he no longer could control but also for being judged continuously by the person he really liked. It wouldn’t be a healthy relationship. However he did feel bad for the way he ended things with Luhan especially now he saw that his intentions hadn’t been wrong. In fact he regretted his stupid decision. Due to his fear he ruined their date, hurt Luhan and put himself in an unnecessary difficult position. ‘I have to make amends’ he thought.

 

“I like him Jun” he told his best friend “I like him but I am scared.”

 

“I know you are, but you were so happy before. That should count for something right? I honestly say he is worried about you Min. Please, if you like him and if you enjoyed your day with him, give it an honest chance” was Junmyeon’s advice. His friend always had a way with words, as expected from a journalism major.


“You’re right Jun. I think… I think I should give it a chance. I owe him that at least” he said then took his phone out of his pocket. He quickly typed in an address and sent it to Luhan. Minseok hoped that the younger got the hint.

*****

A/N: Hello hello helloooo, another update from me. Sorry it took so long, life got in the way and then writersblock. BUT I managed to whip this up for all of you lovely people. Since it's the 8th of April in Korea already: HAPPY EXONNIVERSARY <3 and also, who's excited for NCT debut?

Thank you all again for the love and support. Talk to you in the next update!!!!!! Have a good one ^^