Ch. 2

Every cloud has a silver lining

Luhan was sitting in the small cafe located on campus with his friends Jongin, Jongdae and Yixing. This guy called Baekhyun also tagged along because him and Jongdae recently started dating. The guy was really nice, had a good sense of humor and was just as much as a prankster as Jongdae was. There was only one difference and that was that Baekhyun had morals, he thought for himself and when he heard Jongdae was the one who made Minseok tripped he had gotten angry and scolded Jongdae. That was the reason why Luhan would rather stay away from him. He could deal with Yixing being an angel (He was his best friend since they were 4) but he only had room for one goody two shoes in his life.

 

“Lu, look it’s your minnie” Jongin cooed when he saw said man walk into the cafe. Luhan instantly straightened his back in his seat and eyed his target. Minseok was wearing black ripped skinny jeans, a t-shirt and a maroon cardigan to top it off. He looked hot as always, but he knew that both of them could never be. Minseok was clearly of a different rank than himself. He had to work to pay for school, he lived in a cheap apartment and he heard that his parents were so low on money that Minseok’s dad had to work 2 jobs. Luhan couldn’t understand why someone would want to live with that, living with too many worries and stress. Also Luhan would never be able to be seen with someone like Minseok, which was a shame because he had to admit that he was fairly attracted to the shorter male. Unfortunately his friends knew this and didn’t hesitate to with it. They were all from quite wealthy families as well and somewhat shared the same sentiment which is why they got along so well.  Yet somehow Luhan was entrusted as the leader of the group, which made him feel empowered and fueled his unknown (at least to himself) arrogance. What Luhan didn’t know was that even though he was extremely popular, and loved by his friends that most people hated his guts and hoped that karma would come around and bite him in the . He himself was under the impression that everyone loved him, wanted to be his friend or his lover because everyone was always incredibly nice to him. What he didn’t know was that people were only nice to him out of fear of being a target like Minseok, or because they wanted to achieve his status, or abuse him for his money. Luhan was very naive and in a way didn’t have much knowledge about the world and its inhabitants. He never had to think about that kind of stuff, he was never betrayed by a friend or loved one, never got hurt in this world because he had the protection of his money, parents and social status. Everything was done for him. The only thing he had to do was go along and enjoy the ride, which was exactly what he was doing.

 

“Hey Seokkie, my babe, how are you on this fine day?” Luhan said putting his arm around Minseok’s neck while the elder was waiting for the americano that he ordered. He looked at the smaller questioningly, waiting for his question to be answered but the other had taken it onto himself to ignore him. Luhan grabbed his heart and faked a pained expression.

 

“Oh why must you hurt me so Seokkie? What have I done to deserve this?” He said dramatically as if performing a shakespearean drama. Minseok only glared at him.

 

“Come on now… Honestly I couldn’t have been that bad that you have to ignore me?”. Minseok only glared at him some more and still opted not to say anything hoping the younger would just leave him alone. Luhan dropped his arm, muttered an annoyed fine and walked back towards his group of friends.

 

“The just ignored me. All I did was asked how he was doing.” He complained when he arrived at their table. Yixing just rolled his eyes thinking whether Luhan was that stupid to think Minseok would be nice to him after his treatment. Jongin was swearing like a sailor, saying how badly he wanted to punch Minseok in the face for being rude towards Luhan. And jongdae, well he was too busy gazing into Baekhyun’s eyes to worry about Luhan’s problems.

 

“Jongin, you know perfectly well that I don’t want you, or anyone here at this table hitting Minseok (at least not in the face).” Luhan said sternly towards the youngest of the group. Jongin was a very nice guy but sometimes he tried a little bit too hard to stay in Luhan’s good graces. That bothered him immensely. All he wanted was his friends to act normally around him, like Yixing did.

 

“Yixing, what do you think I should do?” Luhan asked his best friend. He hardly agreed with the things his good natured friend said but sometimes the younger would have some good advice that he could make use of. He wanted Minseok to at least talk to him, and answer when he asked a question. Ignoring someone was just rude and Luhan didn’t care for the slight sting of hurt that he felt.

 

“You’re not going to like this but I can’t blame Minseok for ignoring you. You haven’t been particularly nice to him. Making him trip in the middle of a busy restaurant? ual harassment? General harassment? Not listening when he tells you to stop? I mean… that hardly shows you want to be friendly with him nor that you respect him.” Yixing said and Luhan started to feel really annoyed with his best friend right now. Yixing saw that so he put a hand on his friend’s shoulder and smiled apologetically.

“I did say you didn’t like what I had to say…” Yixing continued. “Perhaps you could be nicer to him?” Was his advice.

 

Luhan snorted. “You really think I can be nice to such a peasant?! Please!” He said angrily and walked away from his friends, wanting to be alone for a while.

 

*****

The minute school ended he raced towards his home because he didn’t want to come across his friends, or Minseok, or anyone. He arrived at his (and his parents’) home, a big, two story penthouse apartment in one of the most luxurious flats in the city. He kicked his shoes off in the marble tiled hallway and made his way to his room. His bedroom was decorated with a cream coloured wooden floor, a mint green wall amongst 3 white ones and a bit mint green rug which was so soft you wanted to cuddle with it all day long.

 

In the middle of the room stood a big impressive white double bed with white pure cotton sheets and mint green pillows. On the white wall above his bed hung a set of fairy lights and a big painting of a cherry blossom tree. The room had a clean, calm but romantic feel to it and it was one of Luhan’s favorite places. He thought it showed his personality really well and he felt that within these 4 walls he could really be himself. Across from his bed stood a big white dresser with a potted palm next to each of its sides. On the dresser Luhan had put some of his most loved pictures; one of his friends that they took when they went to his parents’ cabin at the lake, one of his beloved grandmother who sadly passed away 5 years ago, and one of him and Yixing when they were about 10 years old. He treasured the memories that were attached to these pictures and that’s why he put them on his dresser which (besides his bed) formed the centre of the room. There was also a small vanity mirror located in one of the corners of the room, which held all of his beauty products, perfumes and a teeny bit of makeup (which he only applied when he was forced to attend one of his parents’ big parties). Behind the big mint green coloured curtains was a glass doorway to a small balcony that was attached only to his bedroom so only Luhan could enter it.

 

He stepped through the glass doors and onto the balcony and let the warm sun his face with its rays. He took a deep breath of the warm spring air before releasing a troubled sigh. ‘Why must everything be so goddamn complicated’ he thought. The whole thing with Minseok bothered him. The fact that he liked the guy but that them being together would never be accepted. The fact that the elder had just ignored him like Luhan was a nobody. That thought angered him. He wasn’t a nobody and Minseok surely must get that? He was a catch, the most popular guy in school so why wasn’t Minseok the least bit interested in him? Was Yixing right by saying all those things?

 

Luhan felt like his brain was going to explode when he heard his parents come in and calling him over to the livingroom for a talk. He put himself together and entered the living room with his signature sweet smile, kissed him mother on the cheek and gave his dad a pat on the back before sitting down on the chair across from them.

 

“Luhan, we just had a talk with some of your professors at school and we’ve heard some pretty disturbing things from them” His father said sternly. His usually proud exterior had now made place for one of disappointment. Luhan felt the air around them to grow heavy and made it a lot harder to breathe.

 

“Honey, is it true that you’ve been involved in bullying class and school mates?” His mother asked, her voice laced with concern and disbelief. It was like she couldn’t believe her precious son, that she had spent so much time with raising him into a polite, respectable young man, was involved in such negative practices. Luhan shook his head.

 

“No not that I know of” he spoke. His dad snorted and pulled pieces of paper out of his suitcase.

 

“According to these files of complaints that the school has gotten concerning you, you’ve been treating your schoolmates poorly. There were mentions of arrogant behaviour towards others, ual tinted comments and even tripping one of your classmates in a restaurant? Why on earth would you do such a thing Luhan?” His dad said, getting more and more angry as the conversation progressed. Luhan looked at his mother instead but found no sign of support there.

 

“I have not raised you to be this way Luhan. I have never taught you to be arrogant or to use your status as ammunition to target others? There’s no such thing as a higher or lower rank. People are people, Luhan. I taught you the act of kindness, to be humble at all times and to respect every single person. I am extremely disappointed in you.” She said coldly. Luhan felt like he was about to cry. Never did he want to hear from his beloved mother that he had disappointed her. Neither did he know that there were so many people on campus who actually hated him and filed complaints towards his behaviour.

 

“What you may not see, and know is how hard me and your mother worked to get to where we are, and to maintain where we are. Everything we own has been paid with by blood, sweat and tears. We have earned it all fair and square by working our asses off, Luhan. This is where we have lacked in raising you. You don’t know what it is like to work for what you want. You’re slacking in school because you know you will be offered a place within the firm. You pick on those who work jobs to pay for their own education, housing or hobbies.” His dad began and Luhan feared what was to come next. He couldn’t lose everything that he had? How would he live?

 

“That is why we have decided to cut off your money. The next semester of school has been paid for but after that you will have to find a way to pay for it yourself. If you want new clothes, go out to dinner with your friends, or whatever else you’re doing in your free time you will have to pay for it yourselfs. You’re more than welcome to keep living here, after all you’re still our son and we love you dearly but we think it is time that you start working.” His dad continued. Luhan opened his mouth to protest but his mother brushed it off by saying that this topic was not up for discussion. His dad excused himself to go back to the office and his mother offered to make Luhan something to eat but he declined, returning to his room and think about what he was supposed to do now. But more importantly to figure out a way to prevent people at his school from knowing this unfortunate incident.

 

*****

 

When Luhan walked onto campus he was wary of the looks thrown at him and wondered how many people would already know of his recent loss of money. He was up all night pondering about what to do, and how to proceed from now on but he couldn’t come up with anything besides having to look for a job. Normally he was the one amongst his friend to pay for everything, and it would be strange if he suddenly would decline. However he wouldn’t be able to avoid his friends all day so he made the plan of saying he had to go home quickly after school because he was looking after his neighbor's dog. Thank god he didn’t need a plan for lunch since they opted to eat it at the campus cafeteria anyway. The food was incredible there and was free so why eat somewhere else?

 

“Hey Lu!” He heard and froze on the spot, panicking internally about what was to come. When he turned around he saw Yixing running towards him with a bright smile on his face, waving at his best friend. A wave of relief washed over him when he saw it was only his angel of a friend. The younger finally caught up with him and together they walked towards their first lecture of the day.

 

During lunch both boys met up with the rest of their friends. Throughout the first part of the day Luhan had been thinking about telling them the truth. They were his friends and he was certain that every single one of them would understand the predicament Luhan currently found himself to be stuck in. Yixing had taken the news all too well when he informed him during first period, and offered to help him whenever he may need it. Luhan never expected anything less from his best friend, but he was worried about the other two. He was very keen on loyalty and out of everyone who had thrown themselves at Luhan the people he picked as his friend were in his eyes the most loyal. Luhan decided to just inform them about everything and check to see whether his trust in them was misplaced or not.

 

“I have some news that i’d like to share with all of you, if that’s alright.” Luhan started a bit hesitant still. Yixing caught on what his friend was trying to say so he gently squeezed his hand under the table, as a sign of encouragement. The others just nodded or said that they were fine with whatever Luhan had to tell them.

 

“Due to some complaints that have been filed against me here at school, my parents have decided to cut my money off. I am allowed to live in the penthouse still but after this semester is over I have to pay for school myself.” Luhan said, voice surprisingly steady considering he feels like his life pretty much ended. He thought that he felt stronger due to the fact he knew that Yixing was still by his side no matter what. He slowly started to realise the importance of love, support and friendship.

 

“So that pretty much means you’re poor?” Jongdae asked to which Luhan just nodded.

 

“My parents are still rich and I am their son, but I am not entitled to take advantage of the benefits anymore.” He added on.

 

“That doesn’t change the fact that you’re poor though. Who’ll pay for my coffee and cakes now?” Jongdae asked forcefully. “Jesus Luhan way to ruin the fun!” He said annoyedly. Jongin muttered a small yeah.

 

“Yah! You were the who made Minseok trip in that damned restaurant. I never asked you to do that and yet I am the person who’s blamed for it. You can pay for your own coffee and cakes you leech!!!” Luhan spat at his friend. He felt incredibly angry at his friend’s reaction. Jongdae clearly showed that he was only in it for the money and he was disappointed in himself that he had made the poor decision to trust Jongdae.

 

Jongdae let out a loud laughter and yelled back at Luhan; “Paying for yourself is something that you’ll be doing now as well, if you ever learn how to work for your money. You’re incapable of anything and you’re a sad excuse for a human being. Now that you’ve lost the only thing you’re worth you’re nothing!!.”

 

Luhan was shocked by Jongdae’s response. Never had the younger talked back to him, and he realised that due to his money, and his status there were a lot of people who really did take advantage of him. This was only the first piece of evidence that he collected to back it up. If Jongdae was only interested in his money then he was free to leave. Luhan wanted his friends to like him for who he was and not by what he possessed. Sadly he had misjudged Jongdae’s character but did right with Yixing by holding him close all these years. He felt that loyalty should be rewarded and disloyalty should be punished.

 

“Well if you’re truly only interested in my money then I will have to end our friendship here” Luhan said in a powerful way. He wanted to make sure that Jongdae knew he wasn’t to keen on this kind of behaviour. Jongdae looked like he was contemplating what he was going to do but he did stood up, packed his stuff and left without saying a thing to Luhan.

 

The whole cafeteria now knew about Luhan’s misfortune and everyone was looking at them. Some were snickering, some were whispering that he finally got what he deserved and some seemed to take pity on him. Nonetheless everyone knew about it now and if they didn’t then they would soon. The most popular guy in school not only losing his fortune but openly being embarrassed was food for the gossip mill. He could only hope that it would blow over soon and that he wouldn’t be harassed too much.

 

“Oh my god, he’s poor? But he’s so handsome. Who’ll date him now?”

“Buying people with money, tsk pathetic”

 

“He isn’t so tough looking now”

 

“What a sad thing. Poor Luhan”

 

“I’ve always hated the guy. This makes me happy”

 

Luhan visibly flinched at some of the comments that were now flooding the busy cafeteria. Yixing noticed and instantly whispered into luhan’s ear that he shouldn’t worry about those people. “Those who gossip and live off other people’s misery are missing something in their lives” was his advice. The younger always knew the right things to say at the right time and Luhan was never happier to have his friend by his side. He finally felt what it was like to be treated like trash, something that he had done to others for so long. He couldn’t help but feel apologetic towards everyone he had hurt.

 

Jongin still sat at the table, picking at his food with his chopsticks. He hadn’t said much all this time and he looked afraid of what Luhan might do to him. He knew that Jongin was very insecure and he offered to be his friend because he felt that he needed to protect the younger. However he did agreed with Jongdae just now, so Luhan wondered whether his trust in Jongin was misplaced as well. He hoped that Jongin would accept the situation for what it is and that he liked Luhan enough to still maintain their friendship.

 

“What about you nini?” Luhan asked softly. He knew that approaching the younger with utmost care and patience was key in this moment so he tried his best not to let his anger flow out.

 

Jongin only shrugged his shoulders. “Jongdae did have a point. It was fun when you paid for everything and took us out for dinner and stuff.” He started, voice soft and small. “But I also think it’s shallow to only be friends with someone because they have money.” He continued and looked Luhan in the eyes. “However, I don’t know if I want to be friends with someone who mercilessly picks on other people. I am sorry Luhan”. Jongin finished, packed his stuff and left the table as well to go sit next to some of his classmates.


He understood what Jongin had meant. He had read through some of the files his dad left for him, as part of ‘look at what you’ve done to others’ and some of the things were appalling. He would be lying if he said he wasn’t the least bit ashamed of the pain he had caused to people. He had also thought of the words his mother had said to him, and she was right, this wasn’t how he was raised at all. All that Luhan had to do now was prove he could live the life he had always despised, the life he never knew and what scared him. It wasn’t going to be easy but he just had to manage it somehow, and he knew just the person who he was going to ask for help.

*****

A/N: Hello everyone! First of all thank you so much for reading, subscribing, upvoting and commenting. I am truly grateful for the love towards this story and it has kept me motivated to continue writing it.

This chapter is a bit different because it's in LUHAN POV~~ I felt it was important to let you guys in on Lu's background as well as Minseok's so that both parties will have an equal amount of depth and will be understood well. Honestly Luhan isn't really a bad guy (ok he is a little bit but I'll get to why, so please be patient).

Let's hope that Lu will learn well~ Fighting little lu <3

Next chapter will have a lot more of Minseok, I promise (omg I apologize so much for the lack of our precious Seokkie in this chapter).

Thank you for the love and support. Have a nice day lovelies <3