A New Move

Finding Happiness

“Come to our barbeque tonight. I’ll tell you more about who Andy really is.” She pinned him with a stare. “But only if you’re sincere. Understand?”

“I understand,” he agreed, eyes drifting to the couple on the ice.

Andy was balanced above Tae Joon’s head in a beautiful pose as he turned in circles. Suddenly, she wobbled and fell hard to the ground behind him.

“Ooof!” Her voice carried to them as she landed on her back, still spinning.

Tae Joon bent over, bracing hands on his knees and turned towards her. One hand waved briefly above her and GD heard Bomi’s sigh of relief. After a few seconds, Andy got to her feet and bent over. They talked for a moment before she patted his back and they began again.

GD cringed, watching as she fell painfully three more times before succeeding several times in a row.

“Is it always this bad?” he asked, wincing as Tae Joon threw Andy into the air and she landed, skidding out on her side.

“Training is. I don’t usually watch until they have the routine down; it can get pretty brutal.”

Looking over, he saw the woman’s eyes were on her lap, rather than the rink. Ten more throws and she still hadn’t landed one solidly.

“How long does this go on?”

“Learning new moves? It depends. Sometimes, it’s only a small change to a familiar move. But this? They added an extra rotation and a new entrance. It could be a while until it’s really secure. They’ve been working on it for some time, actually. Except, they had to take a break from it so that Andy didn’t get injured.”

He grimaced, watching her fall again. She must be tough as nails to keep getting up.

“We’ll begin filming in about ten minutes,” the PD informed them, also cringing as he watched.

Just as Ji Yong looked back, Andy slammed roughly onto the ice and cried out as she bashing into the boards surrounding the rink.

“Oh god,” Bomi gasped, standing and clutching the material over her heart.

“Andy!” Joon sped off, skidding on his knees to her side.

The coach raced to her side also. The men hunched over her as a third ran onto the ice. After a minute, Tae Joon looked over his shoulder at his wife.

“She’s okay!” he shouted and turned immediately back to help the girl sit up.

“I hate this,” Bomi whispered, sagging in relief.

Ji Yong felt his arm released from the painful grip she had held on him. Reaching behind her, he helped her ease down into her seat.

“I’m so sorry about your arm. I didn’t even realize I had grabbed you,” she said, eyes now focused on the nail marks pressed into the skin of his forearm.

“It’s okay; neither did I. Are you alright?”

“Me?” she asked in surprise, wide eyes meeting his. “Fine, I’m fine.”

Andy grabbed Joon’s hand and he hoisted her up to her feet. GD watched carefully as they approached. She rolled her head and stretched her arms, cringing only a little. Reaching the doors, they both put guards over their blades and stepped off of the ice.

Andy met his eyes only for a moment, smiled, and gave him a small head bob. Her attention instantly shifted to Bomi, where she sat beside him. She knelt down in front of her and laid her hands on top of Bomi’s clenched ones. Leaning in, she kissed the older woman’s cheek, and wiped away a stray tear.

“I’m sorry, Bomi,” she said gently.

“Shouldn’t be sorry,” Bomi barely choked out, wiping at her new tears.

“Aigoo,” Joon cooed, his wife’s hair and placing a hand on her belly, switching to English. “My poor baby. What’ll I do with you?”

Bomi smiled through her tears and slapped his leg. “Rotten,” she growled at him.

“Ice,” the trainer grunted, joining them, setting off a fresh wave of tears in the pregnant woman, as the hormones overwhelmed her.

GD, silently watching all the while, stood quickly and tugged gently on Andy’s uninjured elbow. “Sit.” He guided her into his empty seat and moved out of the way, facing her.

“You’re really okay?” he asked softly as she flinched slightly from the ice as it was applied to her hip.

“I’m fine,” she answered easily. “Really,” she assured him when he just kept staring at her.

“We’re going to get some fresh air,” Joon informed them, helping his wife to her feet.

Ji Yong slid quickly into the vacated spot beside her, still staring. “You’re sure?”

Smiling, Andy lightly played with his fingers. “I’m sure.”

Looking down at their hands, his shoulders relaxed and the tension slowly left him.

“Sorry,” he said softly. “It was just…hard to watch.”

She sighed, looking away. “You weren’t supposed to be here yet. You shouldn’t have had to watch.”

“We finished early,” he explained simply, running his thumb over her knuckles.

“Hold it on for ten minutes,” the trainer instructed about the ice pack as he pressed it to her shoulder.

She released GD’s hand and reached for it. However, he scooted closer, putting his arm behind her and grabbed it first. His free hand brought hers back to his lap, tangling their fingers lightly. He grinned for the first time as pink flooded her cheeks.

“You’re very pretty when you blush,” he confessed quietly.

“Only then? That’s not what Seungri said,” Andy replied sarcastically, laughing a little when his cheeks colored a bit. “Oooh, you’re pretty when you blush, too,” she teased.

He covered his smile and dipped his head. He was just opening his mouth to retort when her coach interrupted them.

“You shouldn’t be doing that here,” he complained in Japanese, not even looking in Ji Yong’s direction.

“Doing what?” Andy asked, confused, in English.

“Behaving like that.” He gestured at their hands.

“Holding hands?” she asked in surprise, eyebrows up.

GD was struggling to follow their conversation as they continued to use separate languages. Andy’s surprise seemed to be turning towards agitation, however, causing the speed of her words to increase as her eyes narrowed. The coach was getting a bit red in the face and seemed close to yelling, as he leaned closer and closer.

Ji Yong focused on her words, hoping to understand at least her side of the argument.

“I never asked your permission. And,” she raised her voice a bit when he tried to cut her off, “I don’t need it. You’re my coach, not my father. If that’s a problem, then you can go back to Japan and we’ll find a new coach!”

Ji Yong raised his eyebrows in the sudden silence, turning to see the other man’s expression. The coach stared at her, furious, hands balled. Suddenly, he turned and stormed off, kicking and over-turning a trashcan on his way out.

“Jerk,” Andy growled.

GD sat in shocked silence; he hadn’t imagined the ever-calm girl would have such a temper. He had honestly expected her to back down at the first harsh words. He waited quietly for a moment, but she just continued to glare in the direction he had disappeared in.

“So…you speak Japanese?” He broke the heavy silence.

“What? Oh, yeah. My first coach was Japanese; she taught me. I’m really sorry about that. I don’t usually get so worked up, but…” She scoffed, glaring again. “He’s got some nerve.”

“That was about hand holding?”

“Yeah, at first.” She looked at him a little cautiously. “You don’t speak Japanese?”

“Not fluently. I couldn’t follow both at the same time, you were talking too fast,” he admitted, shrugging a little. “They just pointed a camera at us,” he mumbled.

“Are you wearing a mic?”

“Yes, but it’s off.”

“Good; he said some pretty nasty things. And while he is an , he’s also a good coach.”

GD looked in the direction the coach had left, frowning. “But it was bad enough to tell him to go back to Japan?”

“Oh,” she chuckled in a guilty sort of way. “Yeah, but I still hope he stays. It wasn’t easy finding a qualified coach this close to the Olympics.”

“Then why did you say it?”

“There has to be a line,” she answered in a way that made it sound as if that should be obvious. “If I say nothing when he treats my friend that way, then that opens the door to say those things about Bomi or Joon or me. It’s better to be clear about what’s acceptable from the beginning.”

Ji Yong looked down at their hands as he took in what she had just said. “So those nasty things he said, they were about me?”

He met her eyes as they widened. “What?”

“You said he treated your friend bad.”

“Oh. Uh… Well… Not, not exclusively about you. He included me too.” She scratched her head, embarrassed.

GD leaned his face closer and patted her hair. “Thank you.”

“Andy!” Joon shouted from the entrance. “I don’t know what you said, but I approve.”

She groaned, watching him approach. “Why?”

“Coach left. Said he’d let me know if he was coming back tomorrow.”

Andy sighed. “Sorry, I was angry.”

“Figured. You shouldn’t be so hard on the guy; he’s just jealous.”

“You’re an idiot.” She waved him off, but GD’s attention sharpened. Joon eyed him.

“He likes her almost as much as my wife likes you,” he confirmed.

Andy rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Yeah, I really have men falling all over the place for me.” She snorted.

“You’ve always been naïve,” Joon pointed out.

“Sure, sure,” she agreed sarcastically.

GD meanwhile was thinking the argument about skinship made a lot more sense if it came from a place of jealousy.

Joon pushed his hand off of her shoulder casually and moved the ice pack. Ji Yong’s brows went up as the man pulled at her shirt to see down the back of it. Would he do that if his wife was near? Doubtful.

“Doesn’t look swollen,” Joon mentioned, releasing the cloth and replacing the ice, holding it in GD’s place.

“Bomi?” she asked, looking behind him.

“Bathroom.”

Andy sighed and relaxed back in her seat.

“Time,” the trainer called as he jogged over to them.

With the ice removed, now the trainer was looking down her shirt and running his hands over her hip. Ji Yong rubbed his neck uncomfortably.

“Seems alright,” the trainer declared after making her move around. “How’s it feel?”

“Sore, but fine.”

He nodded. “Try to take it easy for the rest of the day. And ice it again in a few hours.”

“Yeah, I know the drill. Thanks Hee Soo.”

Joon massaged her shoulder for a minute as the show’s staff came over. Soon, Bomi returned and they were all equipped with a mic.

A/N: So, any opinions? Anything you like? Something you hate? 

Thanks for reading, don't forget to comment! They really help with the motivation.