That morning

Finding Happiness

Ji Yong woke up late, sounds of the bustling house came through the door. Greetings were called as more and more people continued to arrive. Groaning, he rolled out of bed and stretched. He had stayed up too late the night before; his body felt heavy and stiff. Leaving his room, he followed his nose to the kitchen, where Andy and the female PD were finishing breakfast.

“Morning Hyung,” Ji Yong greeted his manager, who was also still in his pajamas. “Where’d all the food come from?”

“Andy-ssi. She’s a fanatic,” he answered softly. “She was working out again this morning. But hard-core. Push-ups, sit-ups, sprints. See that bar over there? She was even doing weird poses on it.”

GD made a strange face as he looked from the bar to the woman smiling in the kitchen.

“On a side note, I think it’s important to mention, that red and sweaty is a good look for her,” his manager added.

Ji Yong laughed when he pulled out his phone, opening a picture of said sweaty girl, face red with exertion as she rested, hands on her hips, looking away from the camera. He flipped to the next pic and was surprised at the graceful, one-armed handstand. There was another pic of her doing what looked siml8iar to a b-boy pose.

“She caught me after that,” he confided, taking his phone back.

“I want those, Hyung. It’ll make bragging easier. Besides, the guys keep asking what she looks lie.”

GD watched quietly as Andy laughed with several of the staff, sitting down to eat. He was a little disappointed that she didn’t sit near him. She did, however, at least grace him with a smile.

After breakfast, they left for the water front. For the program, they acted a little silly as they dug around in the mud flat. Ji Yong enjoyed the easy teasing between them and found himself genuinely laughing when Andy got stuck and accidentally knocked them both down.

Some time passed and the director finally called an end to the fun. Ji Yong held Andy’s hand, helping each other exit the goo, only falling a couple more times. Back at the borrowed house, he washed quickly, careful to remove all of the mud from his hair. He gathered all of his things and said goodbye as his manager loaded them in the van.

“Ji Yong!” she called, jogging towards him.

He raised his eyebrows at her lack of honorifics as he waited for her.

“I have a schedule,” he said calmly.

“Ah, yeah, Hyun Soo tol- Err… Unnie told me this morning. I have something for you; can you wait for just a minute?”

“Yeah?” he asked surprised. “Sure.”

She trotted back to the house and emerged a few seconds later holding something large and wrapped with a cloth.

“Here,” she held it out to him. “Don’t skip lunch.”

“This…” he accepted it slowly. “Is this a lunchbox?”

“There’s plenty to share,” she added with a nod.

“You made me a lunchbox?” Ji Yong finally looked up at her.

“Is that weird? I just thought…” She fidgeted awkwardly. “If you don’t-”

“Thank you,” he cut her off. “I’ve only received them from my mom before.”

“Ah, so it is weird.”

“No! No; it’s nice. Thank you, really.”

“Ji Yongie,” his manager called from the van.

“I have to go,” he said, bowing. “See you next week.”

“Yeah. Don’t work too hard.” She bowed a little and waved.


 

Ji Yong carried the gift to the waiting room, where the rest of Big Bang was relaxing.

“Did you eat?” he questioned, entering the room, feeling a strange sort of pride.

“No.”

“Not yet.”

“Hyung’s buying after the shoot,” Top informed him, an unhappy hand on his stomach.

“Good. Let’s eat.” Ji Yong set the box on the table and unwrapped it.

“From your mom?” Dae Sung asked, eyeing it hungrily.

“Nope, my wife packed it for us.”

“Your wife? You like her then,” Seungri said with a grin.

Ji Yong smiled, but put a kimbap in his mouth instead of answering.

Young Bae laughed. “That’s a yes.”

“What’d you say she did?” Top asked.

“I want to see pictures, Hyung,” Seungri demanded.

“Mm! I have pictures. Hyung took them this morning while she was working out.” He tossed Maknae his phone. “She’s a figure skater.”

“Whoa! Hyung, she’s hot!”

“Let’s see,” Dae Sung grabbed the phone and whistled, but then looked confused. “Was she dancing?”

“Balancing, I think,” Ji Yong responded, mouth full of tasty cold noodles.

“She’s hot, she can cook, she’s thoughtful; I approve,” Top commented. “Ji Yongie finally got some good taste.”

“When do we get to meet her?” Young Bae asked.

“Not sure. Soon, I hope. I need you guys to tell me if she likes me too, or if she’s just being nice. I want to see her partner too.”

“Have you seen her skate yet?” Young Bae asked. “If she won an Olympic medal, I’m sure there’s a video.”

“Yeah, I found one yesterday, but haven’t watched it yet.”

“We still have twenty minutes before the stylists attack us,” Seungri said, opening his laptop. “Andrea Doyle and Kim Tae Joon?”

“That’s them.” Ji Yong leaned forward, nervous.

“Oooh, I like the costumes,” Dae Sung said brightly as soon as the video came into focus on them.

“y,” Top agreed.

“That’s one good looking man,” Young Bae voiced Ji Yong’s thoughts.

“Looks tall, too,” Ji Yong mumbled.

They circled the ice once separately and then came together in the center. The two wrapped their arms around each other. At first, he felt certain that the looks they shared, gliding together, touching all the while, were genuinely love. But the more he watched, the more he understood it was art. Did Andy love her partner? Maybe. But, on the ice, she was lost in the story they were telling and the music surrounding her.

He watched, hypnotized as they twirled and flew over the ice. Balanced above his head, feet in the air, only one hand on each other’s shoulders, Ji Yong felt ridiculous thinking that the groceries would be too heavy for her.

“Whoa!” Seungri shouted as Kim Tae Joon tossed her lightly up; Andy pulled in her arms and spiraled down, Tae Joon catching her safely at the last second. Only to be spun and thrown through the air, spinning and landing gracefully on one blade, rather far away.

“Hyung, don’t get into a fight with that guy. His arms are huge,” Dae Sung added needlessly; the man’s strength was plain to see.

“Where… Is his hand where I think it is?” Seungri asked a moment later, leaning close and squinting.

“Yeah. It is,” Ji Yong said dryly.

“Point of balance, since she’s not using her hands,” Young Bae suggested, sounding doubtful.

“Is that normal?” Top asked.

“No idea,” Ji Yong answered.

How intimately did they know each other that he could put his hand there? Ji Yong felt his hopes sinking as the couple finished their skate, dramatically coming back into each other’s embrace, faces inches apart.

They held the pose for a few seconds, then smiled brightly and hugged. The applause was thunderous, people screaming, throwing flowers and stuffed animals as the partners bowed and waved their way off of the ice.

“Well…” Young Bae began, but trailed off.

“It was like theater,” Top said, obviously impressed.

“I don’t think we really learned anything about their relationship,” Young Bae finally continued. “It was a performance. I think you have to see them interact in person to know.”

“Agreed,” said Dae Sung.

“He’s seriously handsome, though,” Top added. “Like, actor-handsome. Almost as good-looking as me.”

Ji Yong glared at Top. “Thanks Hyung.”