On the Ice

Finding Happiness

Thursday finally arrived, but unfortunately began with a scolding from the producer for causing a commotion and meeting up outside without cameras.

“Geez, you’d think we killed somebody,” Andy grumbled.

GD smiled as he stretched out his legs on the floor of their ‘new home’.

“Actually, I’m a little surprised he confronted you. He’s usually busy flattering you.”

He chuckled and leaned close, covering his mic and waiting for her to cover hers. “He called Yang Hyun Suk yesterday to ask permission.”

She also leaned closer, so they were only inches apart. “Thanks for the warning, Partner,” she complained with a scowl.

His smile widened and he pinched her cheeks gently. “Aigoo! I’m so sorry. I’ll be sure to let you know next time,” he said in a mushy voice, no longer covering the mic.

“You’re such a brat,” she grumbled, biting at his hands as he laughed and continued to grab at her cheeks.

“Think so?” he asked with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“…Maybe,” she responded slowly, drawing the word out and turning her head cautiously. “Why?”

He waved her closer, leaning towards her. “I’ll tell you a secret,” he whispered, as if the cameras and staff weren’t there.

She made a face, clearly not trusting him, but leaned in anyways.

“Close your eyes,” he whispered, staring into them.

“No way,” she said softly, starting to smile.

He chuckled, but cupped her ear to whisper in it. “I like you.”

She immediately started to straighten, mouth opening to say something sarcastic, but his hand slid around to the back of her head and pulled her to him. Her lips were still slightly parted when they met his. He held her there for just a moment, and then released her.

Andy felt like a fool, but she continued to just stare at him, blinking owlishly. He met her gaze uncertainly, half expecting to get slapped or cursed.

“You… I… But… You are a brat,” she stuttered into the heavy silence between them, easing the tension.

Ji Yong let out a relieved breath and grinned. “You don’t like my secret?” he asked, trying to make it sound like a joke.

Andy leaned in very closely, fingertips on his cheek, a little confused that his eyes looked serious while his mouth smirked. “I would answer that, if you weren’t so misbehaved,” she said and patted his cheek with a grin, leaning back.

“Wh-? Yah! You- Yah!” he protested stupidly.

Laughing, Andy stood up and left for the kitchen.


“He kissed you!?” Bomi, Joon’s wife, asked excitedly.

“Yes, but it was just a show for the cameras; nothing to get all excited about,” Andy answered as she stretched, preparing for practice.

“It’s been a whole week! How could you not tell me until now?”

“Because it was no big deal.”

“If that were true, you would’ve told me that day.”

“Because he was just playing around.”

“Are you this dishonest with yourself too, or is it just me?”

Andy sighed and stood up straight, looking her friend in the eye. “Because it was confusing, okay?”

“That’s more like it! What was confusing? Did you like it?”

“I don’t know, maybe; it was too sudden.”

“Liar.”

Andy rubbed her forehead. “He was acting like it was just a joke, but his eyes were weird. So, yeah, it was confusing. I didn’t know how I was supposed to react.”

“Hmm… I’ll watch him closely today, for you.”

“Now who’s lying?”

Bomi laughed. “Fine, I’m watching for my own enjoyment, but I’ll try to keep you in mind.”

Andy chuckled and continued stretching. “Joon thinks he likes you in reality, not just for the show.”

“Your husband’s delusional.”

“That’s usually true. I guess I’ll just have to watch GD extra close. Stick to him like glue. Out of a sense of duty, of course.”

“Oh, of course.” She smiled, then leaned close to Bomi and whispered. “He’s sinfully pretty up close.”

They laughed together, earning a glare from Joon.

“Don’t corrupt my wife,” he complained. “Besides, my son’s listening.” He pointed to her swollen belly.

The women smiled at each other and Bomi left to find her seat.

“Jealous?” Andy asked, jumping a few times.

“Yes,” he admitted. “She has hearts shooting from her eyes and he isn’t even here yet.”

They laced their skates.

“He’s not that good-looking,” he grumbled.

Andy smiled broadly, moving onto the ice. “Sure.”

Groaning, he followed.

They began warm ups and practice like they would any other day, paying no attention to the cameras surrounding their rink. There was nothing new about being filmed on the ice.


GD arrived at the rink a little early; they had finished recording faster than anticipated. He was pleased until he saw the show staff were already there and recording. He had hoped to have time to just enjoy watching her. Instead, he was immediately hooked up to a mic and ushered to his seat.

“Hello Ji Yong-ssi,” the PD greeted him. “I wish I could tell you that we’ll be starting early since you’re here. But, from what I’ve seen of this coach; I don’t that’s going to happen. He doesn’t seem very flexible and his English is terrible, no Korean either.”

“He understands English well enough, he just doesn’t like to speak it,” a woman interrupted them.

“Ah. Ji Yong-ssi, this is Jo Bomi, Kim Tae Joon’s wife,” the PD introduced them.

The very pretty, very pregnant woman stood with a bit of difficulty and bowed slightly.

“Hello,” she greeted.

“Hello, I’m Kwon Ji Yong.” He shook her hand gently. “Please sit.”

She smiled, cradling her stomach and eased back down.

“I’ve heard a lot about you,” Ji Yong said, sitting beside her.

“Me too.” She grinned mischievously at him.

He exhaled a laugh, “Good things, I hope?”

“Mmm. Mostly.”

Their eyes were drawn to the ice when the coach shouted. Though his voice carried to the stands, his words weren’t distinguishable. However, if body language was to be believed, the partners were being scolded. The coach was gesturing angrily, while the skaters stood with their heads hanging a bit.

GD watched, confused, as all three began making big gestures with their arms. Andy skated off suddenly and with a lot of speed. She half-circled the rink before launching herself powerfully into the air and spinning. Ji Yong had to stop himself from clapping when she landed gracefully on one skate.

“Impressive in person, isn’t it?” Bomi asked softly.

“Yeah,” he agreed, closing his hanging mouth.

“Our daughter wants to be just like Andy; she’s already started skating,” Bomi said fondly, watching the trio on the ice as they continued to talk with their whole bodies.

“That doesn’t bother you?” GD asked quietly, studying the woman’s face. “The closeness?”

She looked back at him intently, as if judging him, and took a deep breath.

“Do you like our Andy?”

“I… Yes,” he answered softly, looking away.

“But their relationship bothers you?”

“No, not ‘bothers,’ exactly.”

“Makes you uncertain? Unconfident?” she suggested with a knowing smile.

“Doesn’t it you?”

Again, she grinned fondly, watching her husband hold Andy’s hand as they skated together.

“Come to our barbeque tonight. I’ll tell you more about who Andy really is.” She pinned him with a stare. “But only if you’re sincere.”