The Past

Finding Happiness

The group chatted for another minute or two until the meat was cooked. Everyone gathered around the table, sitting close together to make enough room. Ji Yong was pleasantly squished between Young Bae and Andy, her right side pressed along his body from shoulder to hip and all the way down to their feet. Even while his palm rested on his own though, it was on the outside so that the back of his hand was against her leg. Young Bae’s arm hung loosely around his back, his hand resting on his shoulder.

There was pleasant chatter up and down the long tables that had been pushed together, as people began to eat. With so many mouths to feed, the food didn’t take long to disappear. But he still had plenty to feel full. He leaned back a bit, relaxing and answering a few questions that were directed at him.

Andy suddenly popped up beside him, using his shoulder as a brace to extract herself from the ramped table. Losing track of the conversations around him, GD watched her follow an elderly woman into the house, linking their arms. It wasn’t long until people started drifting away from the table and someone started a karaoke machine.

“That was my grandma,” Bomi informed him, appearing at his side as Young Bae was led away by some children. “She’s the reason we moved to Korea.”

GD focused his attention on the pregnant woman, hearing the seriousness in her voice. Bomi’s eyes, however, followed her daughter as she skipped in circles around his best friend.

“You asked me about their relationship,” she began. “I wasn’t always comfortable with it. When I first met Joon, we were in college; Andy was in her last year of high school. I didn’t like her.” Bomi smiled at the memory.

“She was a lot like she is now; not exactly ‘pretty’, but more like charming. She was funny, smart, easy-going, and entirely too close to my boyfriend.”

Ji Yong could relate, that’s close to how he’d describe Kim Tae Joon except he was handsome, tall, and charismatic.

“The first time I saw them skate together, I broke up with him. I was sure they were secretly in love. But, he convinced me it was just acting, that it was his job. Of course, even though I accepted his explanation, that didn’t mean I liked it.”

She paused, looking a little ashamed. “I wasn’t nice to Andy. In fact, I was rude, purposely spoke Korean to Joon to exclude her; I don’t think I ever said a nice word to her. Sometimes Joon and I would fight over the way I treated her. He almost broke off our engagement once; said he couldn’t marry someone who would treat his best friend that way. I promised to change.”

“I stopped being openly hostile, but I still wasn’t nice. She was always polite to me, but since I felt threatened, sure she was in love with Joon, I saw it differently. That she was just putting on a show for him. About a year after we got married, we were going out to dinner with my grandma and Ji Na, she was only six months old.” There was a long pause, and then Bomi took in a deep breath.

“We were hit by a drunk driver. It was…bad. I- I don’t remember much, flashes of lights, screaming, Ji Na crying. When I woke up, I was in the hospital. They told me that neither my grandma not daughter had been seriously injured, but that I had been unconscious for two weeks, and that Joon was still in a coma with some very severe injuries. Two weeks,” she repeated, wiping at a few tears rolling down her cheeks.

“You can’t imagine the terror. Two weeks. What had happened to my baby? Was she in a foster home? Had they put my grandma into a nursing home because of her Alzheimer’s? All of my family was here in Korea, except Grandma; I had brought her to live with us in the States to ease my mom’s burden. Joon’s parents lived clear across the country and had only seen Ji Na once, just after she was born. They both must have been so scared, in unfamiliar places, surrounded by strangers.”

“But the nurse laughed at me. Told me if I just waited five minutes, they’d be walking in the door. And sure enough, there they were. Any was carrying Ji Na and holding Grandma’s hand. That evening , the nurse told me that she had taken them both home the night of the accident and brought them back twice a day, every single day, to sit with us. She brushed and braided my hair every day, helped Grandma wash my hands and feet, rubbed the leg that wasn’t in a cast. There were even a few pictures of both of us with Ji Na lying beside us or kissing us.” She smiled tearfully.

“Andy was only 19 years old. She had taken leave from University to take care of our family. She was staying in our house to keep things safe and familiar for those two. She slept beside my grandma every night, sharing a bed. Even after I was finally cleared to go home, a week later, she stayed with me. Took care of all three of us, since my leg was still a mess. Drove us all twice a day to be with Joon, and once at three o’clock in the morning when he finally woke up.”

“By the time he was released, my leg was healed, but she stayed with us, still helping because Joon could hardly walk. She ended up living with us for almost six months; waiting for Joon to improve, dealing with his anger when I couldn’t face it, driving him on to work hard at his rehab.”

“Then one day, she left; went back to her dorm room. The house felt so empty without her. I realized how much I had come to love and rely on her. How much a part of my family she had become.” Bomi was silent for a long time, watching Andy laugh with Joon, a little ways off.

“The last time my grandma was completely coherent, she begged me to bring her home to Korea. She wanted to see her children before she couldn’t remember them at all anymore. It was the hardest decision we’ve ever made. How could I deny my grandma? But, how could we leave Andy behind?”

“We finally made the decision and invited Andy over for dinner to break the news. Joon was even going to retire rather than search for a new partner. But, do you know what her response was? ‘When are we leaving?’ We, she said.” Bomi chuckled.

“All that stress and grief and heartache. And the girl automatically included herself and started asking about nationality laws so that they could skate for Korea. We should have just told her months ago when Grandma first asked. Such a brat.”

Ji Yong smiled at the fondness in her voice.

“So, no. I’m not jealous anymore. Haven’t been for a long time. How could I fault my husband for loving such a good person, especially when I do too? I’ve been with them long enough now, to see properly. That?” She gestured to where the two were now talking seriously. “That is a comfortable and close friendship. You? She genuinely likes you. She lights up whenever someone mentions you.”

“You think?” he asked, watching her.

“Yeah, I do. But don’t misunderstand, just because she has a crush, doesn’t mean she’ll fall so easily for you. She doesn’t really get that attached to men. When she makes the time to date, she does it with the int4ent to just have fun and enjoy herself, not to fall in love, not to get married. She always says that sort of thing can wait until she has Olympic gold.”

Ji Yong blew out a long breath. “So, she’s basically my polar opposite. I fall in love too easy, too fast.”

“She’d tell you that’s like and lust, not love. As far as I know, she’s only been in love once, and he broke her heart.”

“…When was that?”

“Three years ago.”

“Who was he?”

“Hm…an athlete.”

“A skater?”

“Gymnast, actually. But, I shouldn’t really be telling you about him. You’ll have to ask Andy.”

“Ask me what?” Andy questioned, having approached them just seconds before.

“If…you’re free this weekend. Ikon’s having a concert on Saturday,” GD answered quickly, having already planned to invite her.

“Oh! Yes! I’m so excited!”

They finalized their plans as the rest of the guests began leaving.

“Thank you inviting us,” Young Bae said, bowing politely to Joon.

“Thanks for coming. And, sorry again about my hysterical niece greeting you at the door.”

“That’s okay; we’re kind of used to screaming girls.”

“Sounds so arrogant when you say it like that,” Andy laughed.

The four stood staring at each other awkwardly for a minute, until Young Bae cleared his throat.

“Tae Joon-ssi, where’s Ji Na? I want to say goodbye.”

“Oh? I think she’s-" Tae Joon began.

“Show me?” Young Bae cut him off with a hand on his shoulder.

“Oh? Oh! Sure.” The two men walked away and into the house, leaving GD and Andy alone in the backyard.

“Wow, that was subtle,” she said sarcastically.

“Incredibly,” Ji Yong agreed. “So… I guess I’ll pick you up on Saturday?”

“Are you sure? I can just meet you there.”

“No, I’ll get you. It’ll be easier to get you in with me. You might get lost in the crowd otherwise.”

“Alright, sounds good.” She bounced on her toes a bit, getting more uncomfortable by the second.

Ji Yong lifted his arm, considering a hug, but went for an awkward pat to her shoulder instead. “I should go; Young Bae’s waiting.” He let his hand drop away from her slowly.

“It’s weird without someone telling us when to leave,” she said softly, scratching her head.

GD smiled. “True.”

“Cut. That’s a wrap. Good work,” she called loudly in imitation of their PD.

He chuckled, bowing low and clapping. “You worked hard.” Turning on his heel, he left for the house, but spun and waved just before disappearing inside. Andy sighed; it hardly felt like they had spent any time together. They barely even spoke to each other the whole time. How disappointing. Maybe he wasn’t actually interested after all. She scoffed at herself, feeling ridiculous. Of course he wasn’t interested; he was G Dragon. What was she thinking? Just because she had developed a crush on him, didn’t mean that he reciprocated it. This was just business. But still, disappointing.

Thanks to all the subscribers! But massively huge thanks to those who leave comments, they really help with motivation! You're awesome :D