First Meeting

Finding Happiness

Andy ran her hands down the front of her dress, smoothing out imaginary wrinkles. She was nervous, very nervous. She was questioning how she had ever been talked into being a part of this show.

“He’s on the way now,” a producer announced.          

Andy had spent thirty minutes begging for her ‘husband’s’ identity, but the show’s staff would not relent. They insisted that none of this season’s participants be informed ahead of time; they wanted genuine surprise. She had even pleaded because she might not know who he was. However, all they would tell her was that he was a very popular idol; as if that really narrowed it down.

The anticipation was torture as she sat quietly twirling her cup, staring at the door. After what felt like forever, a bright red head bounced into view. Her stomach started doing flips as Big Bang’s G-Dragon stepped inside.

Forcing in a calming breath, Andy stood to greet the man approaching her with an easy smile.

“Annyong-haseyo,” he greeted with a low bow as he reached her. “Hello,” he repeated, in English.

“Annyong-haseyo, hi,” she returned, bowing, feeling awkward in front of such a famous celebrity. But, at least she knew him.

“I’m Big Bang’s G-Dragon, Kwon Ji Yong. Nice to meet you.”

“I’m Andrea Doyle, Andy. I’m a pair’s figure skater. I also recently transferred to Seoul University for my last year.”

“So, you’re new to our country?”

“Yes, we only arrived last month.”

They were both speaking in a mixture of Korean and English. Ji Yong politely gestured for her to sit.

“Your Korean’s really good.”

“I’m working on it; my vocabulary’s lacking. I just started the intensive language course.”

“How are you liking it here so far?”

“It’s nice; different, but good. Have you spent much time in the States?”

“Some. When Big Bang goes for concerts, we can’t really get out too much. It’s hard to play because of the crowds. Even people who don’t know us, follow us around with cameras.” He shrugged; it was just part of his everyday life.

They both sat quietly after that, neither sure of what to say. Andy fiddled with her cup, while Ji Yong drummed his fingers softly on the table.

“What should you call each other?” a PD prompted.

“Ah! What year were you born?” Ji Yong asked.

“Ninety. You?”

“Eighty-eight. So, you can call me Oppa, Ji Yong Oppa.”

“Ji Yong Oppa,” she tested it out, feeling silly.

“And you’ll be Andy-ah. Good?”

“Yes.”

“Should we drop formalities? It’ll help us be more comfortable.”

“Sounds good,” she agreed.

With that settled, silence descended on them again. They both glanced to the PD to lead them.

“You should begin an activity,” he suggested, looking a little annoyed.

“Right. I passed a lot of stores nearby. Do you want to shop?”

Andy wrinkled her nose. “How about the park? It was pretty close, too. We could ride bikes or play basketball…”

“Okay, sounds fun,” he agreed easily, standing. He pushed in Andy’s chair after she stood. “Which way?”

“Left.” She followed him to the door, bowing slightly when he held it open for her.

They had barely traveled a block before a huge crowd started to follow them.

“Is it always like this?” she asked, gesturing towards his fans.

“Not really. If I’m alone, people don’t recognize me as often. The cameras get everyone’s attention.”

She nodded. “It was just around the corner up there. Do you have any siblings?”

“Yeah, one Noona. You?”

“Three older brothers.”

“Are they athletes too?”

“Not anymore. They all did sports in school, and Mark, the oldest, played college football. How about your sister? Does she do music?”

“No. She’s in business.”

Arriving at the park, Ji Yong took in her attire.

“Can you play in that dress?”

“Of course, that’s why I wore shorts underneath.” She smiled. “Let’s bike first, maybe we’ll lose some of the crowd.

He nodded and started off towards the rental shack. “Does it bother you?”

“A little. Besides, I don’t want you to be embarrassed losing in front of your fans.”

He laughed. “Lose? I may not be tall, but I can jump.”

Andy chuckled as he suddenly sprung into the air. “Don’t use it as an excuse later. You’re not much taller than me, so it should be a fair match.”

He glanced at the sneakers on her feet, unable to use high heels as a reason for their comparative statures.

“Maybe I should bring back the Mohawk; it gave me an extra few inches.” He ran his hand through his fluffy hair.

“Nah, this looks good on you. More like a man instead of a boy.”

“Ah, well, in that case…” He put his hand down from his hair.

They reached the rental shop and decided, at the PD’s urging, on a couple’s bike. He had wanted them to get a single bike with a sideways seat for Andy, but she had firmly refused.

“Do you like a leisurely ride or speed?” Ji Yong asked over his shoulder as they awkwardly got started.

“Hmm…speed today, I think.”

“Sounds good.”

Together, they peddled quickly, leaving the crew to rush behind them. Looking over her shoulder ten minutes later, Andy laughed. The crew was still struggling a little ways behind, trying to pedal and focus the cameras, also on couple bikes.

“Should we wait for them?”

“Nah, that’s what the zoom is for,” he answered, smiling back at her.

But, they did ease off a bit, letting the others catch up.

“You said you’re a pair’s skater? Does that mean you have a partner?”

“Yeah. Kim Tae Joon’s actually the reason I’m here in Korea.”

“It’s a man?” Ji Yong asked, surprised.

“Yes. You’ve never seen pairs skating?”

“Not really. Figure skating’s kind of new to Korean’s.”

“Really? That actually, that explains a lot.”

They stopped the bike back at the rental store. Ji Yong was impressed that she hadn’t lost her breath, as fast as they had been going.

“Like what?”

“The trouble finding a new coach. The stares at the rink.”

“You had to get a new coach?”

“Yeah, Phil didn’t want to leave the States. Plus, if everything goes well, we’ll be skating for Korea at Pyeongchang. He thought that was an insult to his national pride.”

“Pyeongchang, the Olympics?”

“Yes.”

He raised his eyebrows; he hadn’t realized she was an Olympic figure skater.

“So, this move is permanent?”

“Hopefully.”

“It doesn’t hurt your national pride to skate for a different country?”

“No; we won silver for the US. Joon is Korean, too. Isn’t it right that he should compete for both?”

“But you’re not.”

“He’s my partner.”

“You got a new coach. Why move? Why not get a new partner?”

Andy grinned at him, taking the basketball from his hands, so he could pay.

“I’m loyal.”

Ji Yong grinned and followed her to the basketball court.

“Must be an impressive guy to inspire that sort of loyalty?”

“Yup,” she answered simply.

Andy dribbled lazily, making an easy shot.

“How long have you been partners?” he asked, missing the rim by an inch.

“Fifteen years,” she responded, grabbing the rebound.

He whistled. “You met him around the same time that I met Young Bae.”

She missed a shot and looked over at him. “Who’s that?”

“Dong Young Bae, Big Bang’s Taeyang,” he explained patiently, before sinking a layup. “My best friend.”

“Ah. So you do understand loyalty.”

“Of course I do.”

Andy made a free throw, smiling at Ji Yong.

“So, GD is Ji Yong and Taeyang is Young Bae. Top obviously has another name too. What about Seungri and Daesung? Do I have a lot of memorizing to do?”

Ji Yong grinned at her, missing his shot. “Daesung is Daesung and Seungri prefers Seungri. So, you only need to remember Top-hyung’s name.”

“It’s time to wrap up,” the PD called over the noise of all the spectators. “We’ll return to the studio for your interviews.”

A rookie PD retrieved the ball and left to return it to the rental stall. They walked to the waiting vans and boarded, Andy hesitated.

“Where’s your car?” the PD asked her.

“I don’t have one.”

“How’d you get to the café?”

“Bus.”

The PD sighed, but instructed the crew to make room for her. She joined them in the crowded vehicle, feeling sorry.

“I didn’t realize we had interviews straightaway. I’ll try to make accommodations for next week.”

“It’s fine,” a young woman, one of the writers said. She was pressed between a large man and the door. “It’s our fault for not making sure you knew.”

Ji Yong watched from his seat in the back of his luxury van, as Andy squished herself into the crew van. He should have offered her to join him, but it would have been awkward. And there would definitely be photos from the crowd posted on the internet and all the speculations that came along with that. It was much too soon to get tangled up with the foreign woman like that.

She seemed nice though. And she was pretty, especially when she had tied up her long, wavy blonde hair to play. Truthfully, he was relieved; he had been worried about being partnered with someone a little too y. There had also been rumors that it would be Kiko.

Yes, they had flirted a lot, dated briefly, then remained friendly. But people were constantly trying to see her in his life, in his work; it was annoying. That was one of the top reasons he had agreed to the show, so they’d stop crediting her as his source of creative inspiration.

A/N: I don't normally write OC's, so I'm feeling a little uncertain. Hope you guys liked it.