Three

Tutoring Sessions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C H A P T E R  T H R E E 

 

The following afternoon, Jun decides he wasn't going to officially accept Mingyu's apology. In his head, he did but face-to-face, he didn't. Why? Because he decided that he wanted to sit with Minghao’s table again and if he was buddy-buddy with Mingyu again, there would be no reason to sit there again. Maybe his logic is a bit flawed. Nope, there is definitely a flaw with his equation.

“Hey, guys. Hope you don't mind me sitting here again,” he says, already scooting in-between Minghao and Wonwoo.

“Don't ask if you're going to do it anyway!” Seungkwan scolds.

“I was trying to be polite!” Jun whines.

Wonwoo hums. “Haven't made up with Gyu yet?” He nudges Jun a bit to get his attention.

“No. Unfortunately. Did you ever find out why he did what he did,” he coyly asks. His hand goes up to the fading bruise which looks better than it did yesterday. It should be gone before the end of the week.

“Yeah. Something about being Monday’s fault,” he says with a silly expression on his face.

It was weird how in the few days that he's ever conversed with Wonwoo, he found himself wanting to pinch his cheeks on multiple occasions because of the cute expressions. Sometimes, he would randomly start singing a song at the table. Once in a while, someone would join along but most of the time, his outbursts were ignored. Must be a normal occurrence.

“Monday? Oh. Monday. He's particularly grouchy that day.” Jun continues, “but listen up, I'm having a pool party at mi casa Friday night. Originally, I was planning on asking just Minghao-- be flattered. But since I made a few friends in you guys, why not invite you all, right? It starts at eight and the plan is for it to be over around twelve-ish? But, yeah.”

“Oh! I am definitely coming,” Seungkwan pipes.

“What's the occasion?”

Jun pretends to think about it but he really already knows. “Just to party. That and my parents are out of town.”

“Oh. I don't think I'll be able to go,” Wonwoo says quietly.

“Of course you're going,” Vernon states matter-of-factly.

“I have plans,” Wonwoo mutters, stuffing a whopping spoonful of rice in his mouth to avoid talking.

Vernon rolls his eyes, knowing Wonwoo's antics. “What were you planning to do? Read another rom-com and eat take out with your parents?”

“What's so wrong with that,” Wonwoo seethes. His ears were burning with embarrassment. Embarrassment because Jun was there and the fact that his plans-- which were painstakingly true-- had been revealed and he couldn't even deny it.

“They are sci-fi books, by the way.”

“Whatever. The point is, I'm not going to let you waste your high school life away with your parents. Speaking of which, I'm more than ninety-eight percent sure they would be happy I'm getting you out of the house. Parents need alone time as well, you know.”

Wonwoo really didn't want to go. Parties were loud. He was quiet. Parties were open. He was a closed person. Or so he thought. Sometimes he was loud but only because sometimes he had a playful side that showed up once in while. Whatever it was, he really didn't want to. Drinking isn't something he likes either. Trust him when he says that he has taken a few drinks before and never enjoyed any of them.

But he supposed Vernon was right. His parents have been not so subtly trying to get him out of the house, even for a few hours. Sometimes, he'd hang out with his friends but that's when they decided to stop lying around on the couch and plan something together. More than once, he'd find a pamphlet about a job opening just there, on the kitchen table by the bowl of fruits and car keys. And he'd say nothing about it and just walk away. Out of sight, out of mind. And one night he walked in on his parents talking about his lack of social life and wondering if he was being bullied. It took half an hour to reassure them that he was fine. One measly party wouldn't hurt, right?

“Fine. You win but I'm waking you up early the next day and you're buying me breakfast,” Wonwoo threatens.

“Wait, I didn't say you have to go. It's okay. Reading's fun!” Vernon says hurriedly. He was trying to get out of this one because being Vernon, he was definitely going to get ahold of some alcohol and wake up with a massive hangover the next day.

“Nope, too late!” Wonwoo shouts cheerfully. He begins humming some cheery tune.

 

The bell rang, signifying the end of the school day. Wonwoo was walking out of his last class of the day, his backpack hanging in front of him as he shoves his papers and notebooks as neatly as he came in a ruched fashion. He didn't want to be late to meet Mingyu because they planned to get ice cream and coffee at the café near Wonwoo's house. Another change to their usual schedule; they were going to Wonwoo's house. Technically is was an apartment and was closer to the metro area of the city but still in walking distance of the school. Earlier that morning, they planned to go to to Wonwoo's house-- after getting his parents permission and the cafe they were going to was on the same route.

With the sweltering weather reaching a new high, it was no wonder why Wonwoo would want to be on his way.

“Jeon Wonwoo! Over here!” There Mingyu was, a sleeve from his blazer hanging out of his backpack, tie hanging around his neck and the top button of his shirt ed. His bangs were clumped together and stuck to his forehead.

“Mingyu. Ready to go?”

“Yeah. It's hot,” he replies, fanning himself and running his hand through his sweaty hair as a weak attempt to get it away from his face.

“So you and Jun haven’t made up, yet?”

His lame attempt to make conversation worked because even though his eyes were looking straight, keeping an eye out for the cafe, he could feel the tall kid beside him getting worked up.

Mingyu rolls his eyes. “I swear, he isn't even mad at me. He's just acting like that to sit more with Minghao. Minghao isn’t shy but it seems like he doesn't want to sit with us. Ever. I don't even know what I'm saying but he invited Minghao to sit with us countless times-- Minghao declined-- but now he can sit with you guys because he's 'mad’ at me. Ugh. Sometimes he really is cunning and manipulating but he's so open about it. You know what I mean?”

Mingyu talked animatedly with his hands most of the time and had cute reactions. His personality and his looks didn't match. One would think the younger male would be stuck up according to his looks but really he was just like an eager puppy. On the other hand, Wonwoo looked quiet with a brooding gaze and he really was more on the quiet side and more mysterious. Wonwoo notices more and more that Mingyu somewhat acts out what he's saying and it's pretty funny but all the while cute.

Wonwoo hums, acknowledging what Mingyu said.

“Anyway, my dad is most likely already home. My dad is a telecommunications manager and works regular shifts most of the time but my mom is a doctor and sometimes she has to work overtime some days. Don't worry though, he's cool, I think.”

Mingyu chuckles. “It's okay. My parents always work nine hours shifts but they always put in extra hours for their retirement which even though they still have a good thirty years beforing getting too old. I tell them I'll take good care of them but they never listen. I don't think they have much faith in me,” he sighs. “That's why they asked you all those questions that first night!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter