OnKey : Invisible No More

SHINee Drabbles/Oneshots for those interested???

This SHINee drabble is dedicated to m2x1000 who wishes to have more OnKey in our lives... More OnKey love, anyone?? hehehe  :)

 "is it possible that key loves onew but onew doesn't love him back then will realize his feelings later on something like that "

***********************************************************************************

 

"Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there lived a young prince who had to live his life with a curse. It was a terrible curse bestowed upon him as a young child due to the incompetence of his parents who turned away an old witch's only request. He was cursed to be invisible to the ones whom he loved. When he was younger, he thought that it was a gift instead as he could openly pranked those whom he loved like his parents as well as his nanny. Soon, the years had passed and young prince grew weary of the repetitive lifestyle. He longed for a special someone to hold him, to love him and to share memories with. However, everytime he opened his heart to that special someone, he slowly faded into thin air. Each time that happened, he could feel a rip in his heart till the cavern grew too deep for it to be repaired. The final straw was when he fell for his good friend who had been there for him throughout the years. Slowly, he realised that the feelings he had evolved from friendship to love. Once that happened, his good friend could never see him ever again. He became sick with loneliness. Only death could release him from that terrible curse and so it did. The whole kingdom mourned his death and swore to always remember the poor young prince who could not have love. The end." Kibum or as his friends called him, Key, closed the book that he was reading gently, heedless of the tears that had ran down his cheeks. His heart hurts too as he could relate to the young prince's suffering. To be invisible to the one you loved is such a terrible curse, yet it's a curse Key wasn't able to escape from.

 

 

Yes, Key suffered the effects of that particular curse too. His heart had long been given away to Lee Jinki or as how he would others to call him, Onew. It started a few years ago when they had their first accidental meeting. Key was late for his first day at university due to a certain best friend who kept him awake, about his love life with his other best friend. After hours of listening to Jonghyun whining about the lack of romance from Minho, Key finally had enough and kicked that bastard home with the warning of not coming over anymore as long as their issues were not resolved. Key ended up sleeping at 2 am, which frustrated the young man as he required at least 8 hours of beauty sleep to maintain his flawless-looking skin, causing him to wake up late. Grumbling as he rushed up the steps to his school administration building, he did not see another young man who was struggling with his big pile of books and notes while eating his chicken drumstick. As evidenced by many romance movies you see out there, Key accidentally knocked against that particular young man, sending books and notes to fly all over the place. However, this was where it differed, for there was no handsome young man to catch hold of Key before he dropped. In fact, Key landed facedown, smacked onto the ground. Feeling quite dazed, Key turned around and looked up when a voice called to him. "Hey. Are you okay?" The voice continued. "You got quite an impact to your face. Are you sure you are okay? Need me to bring you to the nurse's station... Um... Hello... Um, buddy... Can you talk... Um, if you are okay, er, can I take back my chicken that's on your head?"

 

 

After that disasterous first meeting, Key saw Onew again a few weeks later when they were at the cafeteria. Knowing that he should apologised for the bump a few week earlier, Key made his way towards Onew's table. Unfortunately, fate wasn't being his friend again when he accidentally tripped on his own shoelace, sending his lunch to catapult towards Onew. "Oh My God. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do that." Key exclaimed loudly as he went over started to clean Onew's shirt of any food stains, avoiding looking at the young man's eyes for fear that he will break down and cry. "I.. I.. I only came here to apologise for the last time we met. I didn't really get to say sorry when I left just like that. Now I guess I have more things to apologise for. I'll pay for the dry-cleaning bill, I promise. I'm sorry."

 

 

A strange shaking was felt from the young man before a sweet, melodic laughter was heard. Key who was surprised at the sound of that laughter, looked up, only to find himself dazzled by the radiant smile. " Hey, it's okay. I'm quite a klutz too so I can understand what you are feeling right now. I'm Onew, by the way. A third year student, studying Film and Arts. No worries on the clothes. My mom will most probably think it was me who dirtied my clothes. I tend to do that alot." Onew explained further. seeing that the feline-looking boy in front of him was looking as though he was about to cry. "So, are you going to stand there then run away like last time or are we friends now? I think I rather us be friends though.."

 

"Key, my name is Key.. And... Yes, I would like to be your friend." 

 

Eversince that day, Key and Onew had met quite often during lunch break or any other free time they may have. Onew was someone who was very likeable. His jokes may sometimes be lame and out-dated but he still made Key laugh. Of course, their relationship was not all perfect as there were times when they had disagreed on a lot of things especially Onew's obsession with chicken as in Key's eyes, it was super unhealthy for a growing boy to keep on eating chicken 24/7. However, they would always managed to get pass any bumps and end up laughing together over the smallest of issues. Friends in their university even came up with a nickname for both of them "OnKey" because whenever there was Onew, Key would not be far behind. Key knew of that nickname and secretly, he was quite happy. After they had became close friends, Key tried to deny his feelings towards Onew initially but as the days passed, Key knew that he had fallen deeply in love with his chicken-loving best friend. Only the fear of rejection and possibility of losing Onew forever kept Key's mouth from uttering the words he so desperately wanted to say.

 

 

However, a storm was destined to hit them and test their friendship towards each other. A storm by the name of Jessica.

 

 

One day, Onew came up to Key, behaving quite weirdly. He looked as though he had something weighing heavily on his mind. Puzzled, Key wanted to find out what was wrong but before he could say anything, a pair of hands hugged Onew from behind causing him to squeak in fright. Embarrassed, Onew turned around and hugged the giggling girl before he faced Key. "Um, Key, I would like to introduce you to Jessica. She's from my old hometown and will be transfering here to finish up her studies. Our moms are quite close and Auntie Yoona asked me to take care of her since we are in the same university."

 

 

"Onew Oppa..... I'm a big girl now." Jessica giggled. "I don't need someone to take care of me, but if you want to volunteer, I'm more than happy to be the damsel in distress.." Jessica said as she wrapped her hands around Onew's waist tightly, pouting with those red lips of hers. Key's eyes narrowed slightly when he saw that subtle yet powerful message Jessica was sending out. She was going to stake her claim to Onew and Key did not like that. Not at all. His suspicions came true the following day when Jessica confronted him after his class.

 

 

"Look here.. What's your name again? Keon? Kenan?.. Whatever.. Onew Oppa is mine. So back off. I saw the looks you gave him yesterday. Onew Oppa is not gay and he will never be. He likes me and you will never get him. So, move it and find other friends to hang with. Don't corrupt my Oppa with your dirtiness. " Key just lifted his eyebrow and walked away, not wanting to let Jessica have the satisfaction of seeing him being trampled. Each step he took, tears flowed silently down his cheeks as her words stung him in the deepest corner of his heart.

 

 

Weeks passed and the strain that had shadowed over OnKey's friendship slowly started to show signs of cracks. Nowadays when Key met up with Onew, Jessica would always in the picture, clinging to his side like a parasite that attached itself to its host and refused to let go. It seemed like their time together would now involved Jessica's opinions first before Key. What she would like to do, what she wanted to eat and even whether they get to meet up at all. Key, who had been tolerating it up till that point, had enough. He loved Onew so much (Yes, he did realised his true feelings towards that cute bunny after a drunken kiss during their first year as friends.. They decided to laugh it off but it was imprinted into his heart) and was willing to do anything and everything for him but now that he was becoming so invisible to Onew that he knew that he had to get out before it destroyed him from the inside. Before he died out of unrequited love like that prince in that story. He knew Onew had tried his best to make everyone comfortable but Jessica tend to make things worse each time by being such a whiny .

 

 

It was a day like any other day. Jessica was being her usual annoying self. Either Onew was so obtuse towards Jessica's rudeness towards Key recently or he had been caught in Jessica's spell but Key just could not take it anymore. " Yah! Can you just stop being so clingy? I asked to meet up with Onew hyung alone. Why are you even here?"

 

 

Jessica pouted before a sob was heard. "Oppa.....Why is he being mean to me? I just wanted to be his friend because he's your friend."

 

 

Key rolled his eyes when the overly dramatic queen started to roll out her fake tears. This was not the first time Jessica had done it. Every single time she did not get her way, she would 'cry' in Onew's presence and made him all flustered. Knowing Onew's character, Key knew this was just her ploy to make Onew listen to her. "Yah! Stop with the fake tears. It may work on others (Key meant Onew) but it will not work on me. Go and find some other people to bother. No, wait... You don't have any other friends."

 

 

"Oppa...."

 

 

"Key, stop it. Jessica was just trying to be nice. She's new here and plus, she's still trying to adjust to the way things work around here. You were a newbie when I first got to know you. I tried to be a good friend and helped you. Why can't you do that for Jessica too? Did you forget how it was like? Come on, Key. Have a heart."

 

 

Key had to admit, to hear the words coming frm Onew like that, it hurts him so bad as it seemed like Key was the heartless Diva. "Onew, I don't want to say it like this but what happened to you? Ever since SHE came along, you had not been the same with me? I thought we were best friends but now, your actions made it so clear where your preferences lie. Have you seen yourself lately? When was the last time we actually spend time together? When was the last time we went out to the movies, seeing the movies we want instead of catering to what SHE wants? You only listened to her. What happened to equal decision and compromising? She's changing you, Onew and I don't like it." Key's lips quivered with unspoken emotions as he let out his feelings. "I really, really treasure our friendship, Onew but you will have to choose between the two of us. It's either Jessica or me. I would rather cut my friendship with you right now than to stay 'friends' with that . WHY CAN'T YOU SEE HOW MUCH SHE IS DESTROYING US... DESTROYING YOU??!!! I hated this so much. I liked you, Onew.. I really, really liked you alot but it hurts when you don't see me anymore."

 

 

"Oppa.. Let's go. How can you stay here after hearing all of that? This ungrateful being already said it. How can he make you choose? I will never make you do that, Oppa." Jessica fluttered her lashes before tugging Onew away. Onew, who had been stunned into silence, just dumbly followed as Jessica pulled him away to the cafeteria. The moment they disappeared out of his sight, Key's legs suddenly lost their strength before tears ran down his cheeks.

 

 

Soon, whispers throughout the campus spoke of the breakup of the famous OnKey couple. Key was surprised at the rate it was going but he got a feeling a certain was making sure it spread like wildfire. Key missed Onew alot especially at night when there were nothing to distract him. His laughter. His goofy smile. Key even missed his infamous 'Onew condition' which never failed to cheer him up on bad days. Initially, he was in disbelief that Onew would rather choose Jessica. Then he became angry, really angry. Enough to the point that Jonghyun and Minho became victims of his Diva fits and had to run out of his house in fright. Then, came the acceptance. Acceptance that Onew would never be his. Never had and never will. That broke Key's heart even further. The fact that his romance had died even before it started. Onew did messaged him and gave him tons of voice messages within that week but Key was too heartbroken to even care. After missing school for a week, Key finally decided to it up and continue with his life. Go to school while praying and hoping that the campus was big enough that he would never have to see any of them ever again. Why must he suffer when he had done nothing wrong?

 

 

What Key hadn't realised was that Onew was not having the time of his life either. After Key's outburst, Onew became stunned as he had no idea Key was feeling all those things. After Jessica pulled him away, the next thing he knew was that he had gone home and was lying on his bed for the next few hours. Key had always been there for him. Supporting him, encouraging him and even though Key nagged alot, Onew could feel that Key cared for him alot. To have Key shout at him and telling him to make a decision caused Onew's brain to shutdown. He could not imagine a life without Key. Yes, Key can be quite a handful but Key had always been HIS handful. They were a partnership of perfect harmony. Key was like the Fire to his Water. His Yin to his Yang.

 

 

It also caused Onew to wonder. To wonder why he suddenly felt so empty the moment he realised that Key was not joking. Was it because Key had became THE most important person in his life? The one person who accepted him for who he was. The one person who never expected or demanded much from him. Over the years, Onew had always assumed that OnKey will be forever and maybe, he was guilty of taking their friendship for granted at times, but only now did it dawned on him just how precious Key was to him. Onew tried his best to call and leave messages but it seemed that they were left unanswered. Did he hurt Key too much to the point that Key would not see him anymore? Onew tried to ask his classmates but it seemed that Key had not been in lectures lately.

 

 

By the following Monday, Onew started to feel desperate. He had tried to wait for Key at school everyday and even sacrificing his precious lunch hour to hunt Key down but to no valid. Key had disappeared and it was all his fault. Jessica had tried her best to distract him but Onew finally realised his mistakes. He had forsaken his friendship with Key, just to please Jessica whom he had treated like a younger sister all because he did not want to disappoint his mother who had high expectations of him. Onew missed Key so much to the point that even fried chickens did not taste the same anymore. He knew he had to do something before it got worse and he could never repair his friendship... his relationship... his... his... whatever... He did not know if Key would want to have anything to do with him again but he would like to try and redefine that into a relationship. First, he needed to find Key... Onew was so thankful that Taemin, another mutual friend of theirs who had skipped a few grades as he was a genius and was given the title of being Key's "son" due to Key adopting him, had agreed to help him. 

 

 

To : Onew Hyung

From : Taeminnie (OnKey 4ever)

Pssst, Hyung.. He's here today... Plan A in action..

 

 

"Key Umma... Key Umma... You're back!!! Where did you go? Minnie missed you so much." Taemin pouted as he spoke to his close friend. "Aww, Taebaby.. Don't pout.. Umma just had some stuff to deal with. Um.... Um... Have you seen Onew hyung? Is he still with Jessica....?" Key tried not to make a face as her name rolled off his tongue.

 

 

Before Taemin could reply, an announcement bell rang, making all students to pause in their movements and listened.

 

 

"Test.. Test.. Is this on?? Okay, I only have a few minutes to do this before the principal comes back. Annyeong, Onew here, third year student.. Those who know me also would know that I'm one half of the OnKey couple here in campus. Recently, I did a stupid thing and hurt my best friend, my confidant and my soulmate. I would like to take this opportunity to say I'm sorry... I'm sorry, Key, for everything... I'm sorry that I hurt you. I'm sorry for making you feel unwanted.. And I'm truly, truly sorry for not realising how much you mean to me. You are the reason why I loved coming to this school. I'm sorry it took me this long to find out this reason. I'm promise I will never take you for granted ever again. Please love me again. I need you, Key.... Oops, I got to go.. Key, if you hear this, meet me at the usual place.. Er, at 3 pm.. I think I got caught..Oops.. Hehehe."

 

 

Key had not realised that he was crying until he felt droplets of water touching his skin. Was it all true or was this all a dream?? Onew had just confessed. Never in Key's deepest fantasy, could he have anticipated that. Luckily, Taemin was there to snap him out of his trance. "Oh, wow.. Umma...I'm so happy. Hyung confessed... But Poor Onew hyung, I think he might have to do some sort of punishment though." Key bit his lips in worry even as he was being hugged tightly by Taemin.

 

 

The hours never felt so slow before. Each second the clock ticked was like an eternity for Key even though it was getting closer to 3pm. The moment the lecture released the class for the day, Key dashed out and quickly manuevered his way out of the hallway to go to their special place. It was a quiet spot that not many knew of. Key tried to convince himself that the rapid beating of his heart was due to the sudden exertion while he ran, but deep inside, he knew it was because of Onew. In a distance, he could see the outline of a person standing underneath the old tree, smiling as he got closer. Without missing a step, Key launched himself onto Onew's arms. Onew laughed before he looked down tenderly into Key's eyes. "Key, I'm the biggest fool for not realising how precious you are to me. I mean what I said earlier. I promise to love and cherish you forever. Just don't leave me again. These past few days had been a torture without your sassiness and constant nagging. God, I even missed you scolding me about my chicken obsession... Love me,Key.. Forgive me..."

 

 

"There's nothing to forgive between lovers..." Key whispered before his arms brought Onew closer and sealed it with a kiss.

 

 

*******************************************************

 

A/N : I do apologise if this story is not what you wanted, m2x1000.. I do hope that you enjoyed this lil OnKey story just for you... 

P.S.. Sorry to all Jessica fans too, I didn't mean for her to be this way.. It just happened.... Good luck with the Solo album,Jessica