Chapter 5

Sub Rosa

 

Seungri's mocha latte tasted glum. He never knew something could taste glum. It looked stale, but it wasn't. It looked pale, but in fact it's as tawny as the cafe's lumber chairs. Weird. 

Jiyong was next to him. His right leg on top of his other, rocking his foot back and forth as he sat there growing impatient by the minute. The rest of the guys were nowhere to be found. It's already been an hour and Jiyong has been clenching his jaws relentlessly. 

"10 years." Jiyong finally starts; Seungri gulps. "For 10 years we've been rehearsing before each and every show. Our tour's almost ending. And they do this now?" He said, anyone could've figured the guy is restraining his voice. 

Seungri just listened in dry silence. Not a sound escaping his usually verbose mouth. He gently shook his cup in a circular motion letting the foam mix in with the latte.

"Still sad," he mutters.

"What?" Jiyong frowns, still irritated. 

Seungri chuckles. A smirk as he stared at the hot drink. "Nothing," he said. "It's the latte."

The wrinkle on Jiyong's forehead deepens. "What?" He scrathes his nose with his pinky finger. "What's wrong with you? You've been so out of it for the past  few weeks."

"Am I?" Seungri said with a placid smile.

"You've been so weird these days. Acting and saying odd things like that," he said, studying Seungri's face. "Well. Whatever. At least you're not ing up our rehersals."

Seungri chuckles. He wondered; was that really the case?

A familiar scent then came rushing in. It was Daesung with a guilty face taking timid steps towards them. Jiyong could only breathe out a jaded sigh. It was the quiet again for the next minutes. Jiyong's coffee was getting cold. One more tick of his watch then he swore he'd walk out of the establishment. That's what he said but Seunghyun's timing was excellent. 

"Youngbae will be here. He's at the parking lot," Seunghyun casually said. As if he doesn't notice the smoke puffing out of Jiyong's nose.

"Well isn't that great?" Jiyong with a sarcastic smile strikes. The tiny red veins on the sides of his eyes popping out as Seunghyun sat beside Seungri distracting himself with his phone. Seungri must really hand it to Seunghyun. The guy has guts.

"Youngbae," Jiyong uttered.

Seungri's latte looked even more glum now. Strange. As the vivid pink appears out of nowhere and eventually making its way to their table, Seungri stirred his cup with that flimsy purple plastic, hoping it would fix the problem.

"What's up?" Youngbae said. His perfume muddling up Seungri's mind. Great. The latte looks even weirder now.

"You're late," Jiyong sternly said, watching as Youngbae charm his way in with his crescent eyes. The frisky grin that made Jiyong sigh in defeat. "But it's okay. At least you still came."

Youngbae chuckles and Seunghyun spits fire; "What the hell? So it's okay if it's Youngbae?" he asked, placing his phone down on the wooden table.

"Hyung," Daesung whispered beside him. "Did you forget about Youngbae's break up with his girl?"

"I don't care," Seungyun said. "So you get the VIP treatment when you're brokenhearted?"

Seungri wished he never saw how Jiyong's eye twitch. Now he feels anxious. Why does Seunghyun felt the need to pick a fight?

"What is it with you being extra today?" Jiyong's voice raises. "Are you really in the position to act cocky? When you're an hour late?"

"Woah woah woah! What is this?" Youngbae sitting in the middle intervenes. His hand on Jiyong's shoulder lighly pushing the guy back.

Seungri felt relieved Youngbae's there. He could never muster up the courage to talk to Jiyong when he's throwing daggers through his eyes. 

"Chill, okay?" Youngbae said. "Are we really gonna fight? This early in the morning?" 

With a click of his tongue, Jiyong signals the rest of the boys to finally leave the suffocating place. Seunghyun follows with a deadpan face. As if nothing happened. 

"Thanks," Seungri says, the last one to leave with Youngbae trailing behind him. 

Youngbae snorts. "If I don't do it, who will?"

Ah, that gentle voice. When was the last time it spoke directly to Seungri? That warm lovely voice. Seungri could feel his mind blank. Perhaps Youngbae's scent was too overwhelming? Or was it the caffeine in his system? When was the last time Youngbae looked at him in his eye like this? 

"After you," Youngbae said, holding the glass door for him.

"Thanks?" Seungri didn't know what else to say.

As he stepped his foot on the coarse ground, Seungri could feel the cold breeze prickling his skin. His purple hair dangling around as he tries his best to protect it with his hand. 

"Your hair really suits you. I was surprised you really followed my suggestion to dye it in that color."

Seungri couldn't find his voice. As if it was trapped inside his throat, he couldn't utter a word. He prayed with all his heart that Youngbae wouldn't notice the blood rushing in through his ears.

"I-it was the hairdresser." Seungri barely managed to say. "He recommended purple, so yeah.."

"Ah, really?" Youngbae smiles. "He's right, then. It suits you."

"Thanks."

Seungri then pockets his hands. Maybe purple is his favorite color now.

 

 


 

"Not gonna drink?"

The salt on the vodka shot almost got on Seungri's eye. Seunghyun must be quite intoxicated. The man was handing him liquor only inches away from his face. He could smell the strong punch of the alcohol, and it's making him nauseous. Seungri took the glass shot anyway. Seunghyun's a little handful when it comes to drinking. The charismatic sommerlier-would-be wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Youngbae's not here again," Seunghyun said, his arm hanging loosely on the leather couch of the lively nightclub.

"Yeah. He hasn't been coming to the afterparties for the past few weeks," Daesung almost shouted through the roaring music. "It's just us three now. Jiyong-hyung's too pissed off from earlier to come."

"What's wrong with Youngbae anyway?" Seunghyun asked, handing Daesung another round of gin and tonic. "Not coming to drink with us just because of a girl?"

"Can't blame him," Daesung said. "Guy's probably dow-- where are you going, Seungri?"

Seungri was already up, his feet taking him towards the dancing horde of rowdy people. He felt like dancing. He felt like shaking it all away. The music's loud, but at the same time it isn't. The dancefloor's pakced, but at the same time it isn't. Weird. Did it seem empty? Or was something completely diffrent is?

The room was spinning. Maybe Seungri had too much. Everyone's face is a blur, but Seungri still kept on dancing. He doesn't want it to end. He doesn't want to go home. Why? He wondered. Was he afraid of something? What was it, then? 

"Hey there," a lovely voice from behind.

It was a woman. The alcohol might be poisoning his head, but he could still see how pleasant to the eye the woman is.

"Hey," Seungri puts on a smile.

"I'm Jieun. Nice to meet you."

It was then something hit Seungri. He was indeed afraid.

He was afraid that when he leaves this place, when he wakes up in the morning, no one will be there beside him. No Youngbae snoring right next to him.

"Want to get out of this place?" Seungri rests his arm on Jieun's shoulder.

 

 


 

 

The clamorous honking of the cars outside was rather persistent. It must be the afternoon already, Seungri thought as he rolled to his side, eyes still shut. The bed felt warm. Seungri didn't want to get up. As he stretched his arms out, he nudges something. Smooth and snug. Perhaps a flesh?

That's right, he thought to himself. He slept with a random girl from the club last night.

"Good morning," he said as he opens his eyes.

Seungri felt his heart jump out of his chest.

It was Youngbae. Snoring.

 

 


My precious readers.. I'm so sorry. It's almost been a year.. I'm really sorry. I've been so busy with university. But don't worry. From now on I'll update more. Thank you for staying with me. XOXO