EVERY SUPERHERO HAS A WEAKNESS

Forgotten Blood

 

「14」

Seoul, South Korea

The photo shoot was done, the music video had been filmed and edited, the CDs were printed and distributed to all the stores, and the teaser music video had been released. Now, the only thing that is left is his and Seunghyun’s debut stage on Music Bank. It was chaotic to say the least, but all this time he had been keeping a close eye on Amber.

They were in the waiting room waiting for the rehearsal stage and he can see that it took all of her strength to keep her eyes opened. He watched her from the reflection in the mirror, whilst the makeup artist finished and the hair dresser finished with their final touches. She finally succumbed to her tiredness and fallen asleep.

Her body tilted forward. As she was about to fall of the sofa Seunghyun, from out of no where, gently caught her by the waist and laid her down on the sofa. The way Seunghyun looked at Amber sent a shape pain through Jiyoung's heart. Once Seunghyun had Amber situated on the couch he looked over at Jiyoung, “I’m going to the washroom.” He stated as he walked out the door.

Once the staffs were done fussing over Jiyoung they said that they are heading to the vending machine to get something to eat or drink. They had asked if he wanted to come with them, but he said that he will wait in here instead. He wouldn’t let go of the chance to be alone with Amber. Since that day she called him he hasn’t been alone with her and on top of that he had to pretend that he doesn’t know her. It was so hard to suppress the feel he had inside.

His senses had always been attuned to her emotions. He knew when she was upset, when she was tired, when she was angry, when she was conflicted, and he was most attuned to her happiness. However, the happiness had left her, since the day she left his house. She was cold and he hated it. He wanted to comfort her and hugged her. He wanted her to be happy again.

He wanted to tell her that everything will be okay. He wanted to tell her that if she wanted to quit this quest no one would be mad at her, but he can’t do any of that. All he could do was watch her from afar. It was painful to watch her suffered quietly by herself. He wondered what her cousin, Haruma is doing about this. Whether he knew what Amber is going through inside her head, but he knew that Amber rarely shares that part of her with anyone. She internalized everything.

He walked over to the sofa and kneeled down in front of her. Her sleeping face was the most peaceful and beautiful face he ever seen. He couldn’t help but smiled. He quickly glanced at the door to make sure that no one left it opened. Turning back to Amber he tucked a lose strain of hair behind her ear. He gently caressed her cheek and kissed it, “If you ever need someone. I’m always here for you, always.”

Her eyes flashed opened. He saw angered in them, “What do you think you’re doing!” She quickly glanced around the room. “Where is everyone?”

He took the seat next to her on the sofa, “The staffs went to get something to eat before we have to go on stage and Seunghyun went to the washroom.”

“How long was I out?” she reached up to her cheek and touched the spot where he had kissed her. “What were you thinking, Jiyong?”

He chuckled and poked her in the cheek where he kissed her, “I couldn’t help it. You’re cute sleeping face was so temping.”

She glared at him then playfully nudged him in the ribs with her elbow, “Someone could have seen you. How would you explain to them then?”

“That I fell for Seunghyun’s cute manager,” he shrugged. Amber rolled her eyes and then proceeded to pinch the bridge of her nose with the index finger and her thumb. He placed his hand in the middle of her lower back, “Tired?” She nodded. “When will this all end? I’m worried about y...”

She turned toward him and placed her index finger on his lips, “I can take care of myself.”

“Yes, yes I know you can take care of yourself. You’re wonder woman after all, but even superheroes have their weaknesses and limits,” he placed his hands on her shoulders and turned her body toward him. “I’m always here for you. No matter what happens, I’ll be here for you, always. Remember that.” Against his better judgment he embraced her.

He braced himself, waiting for her to push him away, but she didn’t moved, “Jiyong ...”

“Hmm?” he answered.

“What am I doing?” She reluctantly raised her arms and embraced him. “I think I might be getting into deep.”

He can hear the weariness in her voice, which made him tighten his embrace, “I’m here, Amber. I will always be here.”

[*][*][*]

Seunghyun stood in front of the door to the waiting room. He had opened the door to the room. He heard and saw what happened within. It confused him, but also confirmed his suspicion that he had on the two of them. This was not the first time they met. His suspicion started since the day she found out who he would be working with. She left and didn’t return back to his home until the next day.

Once their work began, the way Jiyong would looked at her made his suspicion grew. He looked at her with worried eyes when she looked tired, the way he reprimanded Key for bullying her, his eyes was constantly on her. His curiosity had hit its limit, but something deep down stirred inside of him as well. Was it jealousy? He wasn’t sure himself, but he decided to step into the room, “What are you two doing?”

Jiyong quickly let go of Amber and jumped up from the sofa. His face was flushed, but Amber remained where she was, her face unchanged, “You saw what we were doing, why did you have to ask?” She said with her cold voice.

Jiyong looked nervously at Amber and him, “Err ... I was the one that...”

“You don’t have to explain to him, Jiyong” Amber grabbed his wrist and pulled him back down onto the sofa. “He’s been suspecting it since the beginning.” She turned toward him and stared into his eyes. “Seunghyun, did you put two and two together? Jin picked you; therefore you must be quiet smart. Do I really need to explain myself?”

He shook his head. The answered was there from the beginning. He should have trusted his instinct, but a part of him doesn’t want to believe it, “There is no need for an explanation.”

“Good,” she stood up from the sofa. “You and Jiyong are long time friends and I trust that you don’t want to place him in harm’s way. This here stays between the three of us. It is understood?”

He nodded his head. She turned toward Jiyong. He got up from the sofa and leaned into to whisper something into her ears, which caused her to smile. It was the first time he saw her smiled, although it was a sad one, but the smiled reached her cold eyes and turned it into a warm one.

She whispered something into Jiyong ears and he nodded his head, then let go of her hand. The two of them stood there and looked – smiled sadly – at each other. It dawned on him then, that the cold and aloof princess has a weakness. That weakness was standing right in front of her.