Chapter 2

Flashlight (When Tomorrow Comes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sound of rapid footsteps filled the muted hallway, making heads turn toward the commotion. Four distressed men made their way to the emergency department, displaying obvious signs of urgency and panic, worsening at the sight of their friend's family. As usual, Yunho was the first to initiate the conversation, approaching Ho Jun's parents who were seated at the waiting benches. 

"We came as fast as we could. How is he?" Yunho asked in a soft, almost inaudible, voice. 

Yunho noticed the hesitation and uncertainty shared between the couple. Ho Jun's mother looked pale which accentuated her aging features. His father, in contrast, looked more awake but the frown on his face were nevertheless noticeable. 

"They have to perform an emergency surgery. We were told that he is currently in a life-threatening situation and that we should...," Mr. Son choked, "we should prepare ourselves for the worst outcome."  

Yunho had to shut his eyes and lean against the wall. The sudden announcement was too much for him to handle. He was starting to regret letting his best friend go to his morning appointment alone. 

'If only I had offered to keep him company.' Yunho thought, the guilt slowly swallowing him.  

"What if... what if I don't get to see my boy alive? Yunho-yah how... how am I going to continue living?" Ho Jun's mom began sobbing, holding onto Yunho for support. 

Yunho immediately wrapped his arms around her, her back as he whispered encouraging words into her ear. 

"He'll be okay. My best friend is strong, I know him. He can't leave yet. He still has a long life ahead of him. That idiot has yet to step on an actual stage and he has yet to star in a movie with Son Ye Jin so no, he's not going anywhere. He'll be fine... he'll be fine" he mumbled, trying to convince himself. 

She held Yunho tightly almost as if she was receiving strength from him. Additional sobs filled the air and Yunho realized that those sounds did not belong to Ho Jun's mother. He looked at his left only to find Yoochun trying to calm a crying Junsu, and Changmin staring at the floor with an unreadable look on his face. 

.............................................................................................

"No umma, I said I'm full!" Ho Jun whined, gently pushing the hand that was holding another slice of tangerine. 

"Nonsense! You need to eat more to recover faster!" His mother placed the fruit in front of his mouth, which he hesitantly accepted.

"See? You look five times better!" She joked, receiving another whine from her son. 

Four men watched the sweet interaction and could not help but smile at the sight. 

A knock brought their eyes to the door, noticing their manager slowly entering the room while carrying bags of food. Youngjun was pleased to see the patient in a better condition. It was a surprise to all of them when the doctors announced a successful surgery but it was even more surprising when Ho Jun woke up only a day after the procedure. 

The manager was carrying a smile on his face but everyone in the room noticed something off about him. It almost seemed like he was trying to avoid their eyes, afraid that he might accidentally spill a secret. 

"I brought chicken porridge for everyone," Youngjun said, still avoiding their gazes. He placed the food on the bedside table and slowly turned his body to face the four trainees he's been dreading to see. 

"The... the CEO wants to see you. All four of you," he declared with a gulp. 

The boys didn't have to ask. They knew exactly what the discussion was going to be about. It was about their future. Their career. None of them had the guts to look at each other, especially not at Ho Jun. 

.............................................................................................

Sinking into his leather armchair, Mr. Lee motioned the anxious men to sit down.

"Please, sit down." 

The soon to be idols walked over to the couch facing the old man and sat like obedient children. The room was intimidating, almost as if the it didn't want them there. Mr. Lee cleared his throat making the boys tremble in fear, especially since they had a clear idea of what's about to come. The boys were aware that the accident will cost them an arm and a leg, which may result in a delayed debut or even worse, a beginning without Ho Jun. However, they were ready to fight. 

"So," the CEO began, "I heard that Ho Jun is recovering well... that tough bastard." Mr. Lee joked but received no reaction. 

He cleared his throat once again. The atmosphere was getting even more uncomfortable, making the boys squirm in their seats. 

"I wanted to speak to you about your upcoming debut. I'll be honest with you, what happened with Ho Jun is quite unfortunate. No one saw it coming, so there is no need to point fingers. I'm wishing for a complete and restful recovery, but we must think of the bigger picture."

Yunho finally took a glance at their boss, feeling even more anxious for what is about to be announced. He prayed silently, wishing that it wouldn't be so bad, that they will all walk out of the room in relief. But a big part of him knew that it wasn't the case. 

"What I'm trying to say is, our company is on the line here. If we wait for Ho Jun's recovery, then we are losing a big chunk of money used for your debut. And we're talking billions of won here," the old man paused and waited for a retort. He sighed before continuing.

"So... the team and I have decided to go on with your debut, just as planned." 

Gasps filled the room, all four men staring at their boss in disbelief.

"You mean-" Changmin paused as Mr. Lee cuts him off. 

"All four of you will debut in a month. And for obvious reasons, Ho Jun won't be able to join the group." 

"But-" Junsu began. 

"But someone else will be taking his place," the old man announced, finally dropping the bomb. Four hearts stopped as those painful words were thrown suddenly. The room was silent. Nobody dared to move. They did not expect this, not to this extent. This was wrong, this was too cruel. 

"That's ridiculous," Yunho whispered breathlessly, trying really hard to keep his composure, "You can'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter