Chapter 3

Flashlight (When Tomorrow Comes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Changmin was beyond displeased. How dare this machine eat his money? He felt betrayed, mainly because he was always fond of that particular vending machine. The huge variety of little treats and nibbles it contained was surely what made it attractive. The dispenser had never let him down until today and Changmin was infuriated at the thought of that. They shared an almost intimate relationship, where they were there for each other through thick and thin. So for him, this was unacceptable. 

"Work you little piece of !" Changmin shook the machine for the nth time. "After all this time? After all we've been through together, you're just gonna abandon me like this? For God's sake, all I'm asking is for my chocolate bar! What did I do to deserve this?" He continued to shake it.

Any passerby would think that the teenager was losing it and he was aware of that. But he didn't care. He didn't care because he had reached his limit. Maybe he was really losing it. He was also tired, sleepless and ready for a deep slumber. The group were finally given a short break after trying to perfect their insane choreography for nine hours straight. But Changmin did not expect to receive such treatment from the dispenser. He ran to the vending machine excited to see his friend, only to be disappointed. That betraying back-stabbing bastard.

Changmin was losing hope. He dramatically placed his hands against the glass front and stared intensively at the chocolate bar. His chocolate bar.

"You poor thing. I'm sorry for not being able to do anything. I'm so so-" 

A loud bang was heard next to the vending machine but Changmin was too occupied to look, as he watched his snack slowly being dispensed out of the apparatus. He could not believe it. There it was, his chocolate treat, gracefully sitting on his hand. The vocalist finally turned to where the sound came from, finding a stranger staring at him with an amused look on his face.

"How..how did you.." Changmin looked at the man with wide eyes as if he saw God. 

"Uh... I kinda figured it out myself. All you have to do is give it a kick." Jaejoong said, embarrassed at the fact that he knew such silly information. 

"Wow.. I um.. I can't thank you enough..." The teenager was hesitant to continue. 

"Jae..joong. Kim Jaejoong." The man shyly extended his hand, a deep red hue coloring his cheeks. 

"It's nice to meet you, Jaejoong-ssi. I'm Changm-" He was about to extend his arm. 

"I know!" Jaejoong said excitedly but soon felt embarrassed for cutting the other of. "I mean I know who you are... I've heard about your group. You guys are already quite famous on the Internet so..." The red on his face deepened, making him look down. "I'm sorry! I'm just such a big fan of your group! I didn't think I'd meet you here. I'm so sorr-" 

It was Changmin's turn to cut him of. "No need to apologize! You saved my chocolate bar!" 

"It was nothing.. really..." 

The younger man observed Jaejoong's face and noticed the redness that won't go away. This made him wonder about his age. He guessed that he was around s' age but the other man's shyness made him look younger than he suspected. 

"I should probably go. I-" 

"Wait! How come I've never seen you before?" Changmin asked suspiciously. 

"I'm actually a new trainee here. I just got recruited last week." 

"That explains why." The teenager thought loudly. 

"I really should get going sunbae." Jaejoong wanted to stay a little longer but he knew that if he stayed, he'd probably end up leaving the wrong impression. He wanted to hit himself for embarrassing himself in front of his sunbae. How could he just cut him off like that? 

'So much for a first meeting,' he thought. 

"One last thing! How old are you?" He really wanted to know. 

"Um... 19."

"Then why on earth are you calling me sunbae? It almost sounds wrong." Changmin muttered. 

"But I..." 

"How 'bout you call me by my name and I call you 'hyung'. Please, it's a lot more comfortable that way. And I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing more of each other in the future, so we might as well just make it comfortable now."

Jaejoong did not know what to say. He was surprised at how straightforward the younger man was. He almost felt intimidated but he knew he meant well. 

"Well, if you insist." He finally took a glance at the other trainee and saw the sincerity coming from him. Jaejoong could not erase the smile that was starting to form on his face.

Changmin simply smiled back. "I should let you go. You must be in a hurry." 

Jaejoong looked down once again, feeling guilty for rushing their first encounter. After seeing the other man's genuine look, the newbie wanted to stay a little bit longer. 

"I should probably go back too, before I get dragged away by my scary leader." 

Jaejoong let out a chuckle. "It was really nice meeting you sunb... Changmin," he bowed. 

"I'll see you around hyung! Oh and thanks for the tip." Changmin joked, reminding him of their odd but funny encounter with the vending machine. 

Changmin walked away feeling less exhausted, almost forgetting about the little treat on his hand. He may have lost a friend, but he sure did gain a new one. 

.............................................................................................

"Guys, say hello to your new member." 

A painful silence filled the room, as four man stared at the person standing next to their CEO. Two of them stared at him as if they were trying to read him inside out, while another sat in shock seeing the familiar face he just saw at the cafeteria. Their gazes were unbearable to watch, but an even more powerful eyes looked fixedly at the new member, making him want to run away and never look back. The man was not staring. He was glaring. 

Jaejoong gulped at the sight, praying that Mr. Lee would save him from the scrutinizing looks being thrown at him. And saving him, he did. The old man cleared his throat, ending the intimidating atmosphere in the room. 

"Jaejoong here is a new trainee. I don't know if any of you have had the chance of bumping into him, but he's been around for about a month a half now." The CEO explained. 

"You gotta be ting me." A mumble was heard coming from the leader, who was showing an amused but at the same time, irritated look on his face. He was snickering, which definitely did not sound friendly. 

"Is this a joke? Where are the cameras?" Yunho looked around the room, pretending to spot for any hidden cams. 

Everyone, including himself, were surprised at the rude a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter